Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-06-2006, 10:12 PM #1
Mps2216
Control Yourself

has been a member for 10 years
Bible Errancy

Erroneous historical accounts and contradictions are often claimed to plague the Bible and essentially discredit any validity the Bible might have.

I thought it'd be good to have a thread to present certain verses/aspects of the Bible and discuss their validity from a historical perspective, or maybe their contradictory/bull**** nature. (That was not a biased statement and no way implies the Bible actually contains such flaws )

I'll start off:

" 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper (helpmate in some ancient Hebrew texts) who is like him.' So the Lord God formed out of the ground each wild animal and each bird of the sky, and brought each to the man to see what he would call it. [...]; but for the man no helper was found who was like him. " Genesis 2:18-22

God goes on to make Eve and Adam is satisfied.

It appears to me here that God made these animals essentially as sex toys for Adam. God then makes Eve, who is able to satisfy Adam. Considering this, God comes off as quite the pervert who's creation was merely a grounds for sex. This not the type of deity I would like to be at the foundation of my religion.

Any Christians want to provide a different interpretation?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 PM #2
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Yea.....how do you know you have the right translation? Don't go out and spout your words of wisdom without doing the research first. Can you post the original script here? Then read it to me (right to left don't forget) and make sure you understand the different words for satifaction. Once again only a pervert would use those words and twist them into a sexual conotation.

just like your last line says, "interpretation" is very important before you try to get all righteous here.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 PM #3
caseytmev3 (Banned)

I don't know if the Talmud sheds any light on the subject, but I would ask some rabbis for their interpretation of the Hebrew text, that is usually how I get a better understanding.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 PM #4
Truthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomGhost View Post
Yea.....how do you know you have the right translation? Don't go out and spout your words of wisdom without doing the research first. Can you post the original script here? Then read it to me (right to left don't forget) and make sure you understand the different words for satifaction. Once again only a pervert would use those words and twist them into a sexual conotation.

just like your last line says, "interpretation" is very important before you try to get all righteous here.

Interpretation rocks; if there are contradictions everywhere you can just say that you didn't interpret it that way!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 PM #5
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
Erroneous historical accounts and contradictions are often claimed to plague the Bible and essentially discredit any validity the Bible might have.

I thought it'd be good to have a thread to present certain verses/aspects of the Bible and discuss their validity from a historical perspective, or maybe their contradictory/bull**** nature. (That was not a biased statement and no way implies the Bible actually contains such flaws )

I'll start off:

" 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper (helpmate in some ancient Hebrew texts) who is like him.' So the Lord God formed out of the ground each wild animal and each bird of the sky, and brought each to the man to see what he would call it. [...]; but for the man no helper was found who was like him. " Genesis 2:18-22

God goes on to make Eve and Adam is satisfied.

It appears to me here that God made these animals essentially as sex toys for Adam. God then makes Eve, who is able to satisfy Adam. Considering this, God comes off as quite the pervert who's creation was merely a grounds for sex. This not the type of deity I would like to be at the foundation of my religion.

Any Christians want to provide a different interpretation?
Sure, I'll jump in.

Quote:
Gen 2:15 Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
18 And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” 19 Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.
21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
23 And Adam said:
“This is now bone of my bones
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man.”

Please read this in context.

God brought the animals before Adam for Adam to name them, not find out which ones he would like to hump. Before God ever brought the first animal in front of Adam, He said "“It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” - not I'll bring him a sexy goat he might like.

He then, after Adam named the animals completed His saying - “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”

So, that would be erroneous account number 5 debunked - Next.

For the sake of clarity, please bring them one at a time and I will answer each.

Last edited by X_Paint : 12-06-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM #6
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:

My words of wisdom? Get all righteous here? Dude, think before you post. I was simply providing an example of something that I found in the Bible to be very misleading and contradictory to typical Christian doctrine. As it was only my interpretation, I asked for a Christian's viewpoint who might be able to provide a different interpretation.

Good game.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM #7
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Sure, I'll jump in.

Please read this in context.

God brought the animals before Adam for Adam to name them, not find out which ones he would like to hump. Before God ever brought the first animal in front of Adam, He said "“It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” - not I'll bring him a sexy goat he might like.

He then, after Adam named the animals completed His saying - “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”

So, that would be erroneous account number 5 debunked - Next.

For the sake of clarity, please bring them one at a time and I will answer each.
You proved my point in your first statement. He says "It's not good that man should be alone" before he brings the animals to Adam. This would imply that he made the animals to be with him. Obviously the animals are dissatisfying to Adam in some way. Hmmmm.... so lets consider why a woman would be more satisfying to Adam than other animals.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 PM #8
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
They could talk....yup...still a perv.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM #9
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
They could talk....yup...still a perv.
Chyea, I know right, all the animals just chillaxin in Eden with Adam, having their nonchalant convo about globalization and havin a nice corn dog. Sounds plausible to me...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:45 PM #10
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
You proved my point in your first statement. He says "It's not good that man should be alone" before he brings the animals to Adam. This would imply that he made the animals to be with him. Obviously the animals are dissatisfying to Adam in some way. Hmmmm.... so lets consider why a woman would be more satisfying to Adam than other animals.
Right, but you missed the second part of the statement -

"I will MAKE him a helper comparible to him." The animals were already made.

Make - not bring in front of him.

Gotta use the whole sentence.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:45 PM #11
Hirophant0
Historian at large

Hirophant0 is an NCPA player
Hirophant0 plays in the APPA D5 division
lol, so X paint I'm sure your elated for this new sub-forum!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM #12
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

I don't know about elated, but it's good to look at things, especially since he does have an open mind.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM #13
visionimpulse2k3
S.N.A.F.U

Before adam and eve commited sin, adam and eve were like the angels and didn't have the lust like folks do now...(we have this lust because of the stains of origional sin)

Therefore, they were just to be partners..

Second of all, sex is an extremely holy and glorious thing. It is not something to be looked down upon if marraige is involved...

Without marriage, it is sinful

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post18848880
Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 PM #14
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Right, but you missed the second part of the statement -

"I will MAKE him a helper comparible to him." The animals were already made.

Make - not bring in front of him.

Gotta use the whole sentence.
" 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper who is like him.' So the Lord God formed out of the ground each wild animal and each bird of the sky "

Sounds to me like the animals were made specifically for Adam, which leads to my previous point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionimpulse2k3 View Post
Before adam and eve commited sin, adam and eve were like the angels and didn't have the lust like folks do now...(we have this lust because of the stains of origional sin)

Therefore, they were just to be partners..

Second of all, sex is an extremely holy and glorious thing. It is not something to be looked down upon if marraige is involved...

Without marriage, it is sinful
Adam and Eve weren't married. You honestly think they didn't have sex?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 PM #15
Hirophant0
Historian at large

Hirophant0 is an NCPA player
Hirophant0 plays in the APPA D5 division
what does X paint think about the idea that if god is perfect, why did he create us? It seems that a perfect being wouldn't want/need anything....
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM #16
visionimpulse2k3
S.N.A.F.U

Quote:
" 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper who is like him.' So the Lord God formed out of the ground each wild animal and each bird of the sky "

Sounds to me like the animals were made specifically for Adam, which leads to my previous point.

Marraige wasnt needed then...

I do believe they had sex...how else would cain and able been born???

But in some ways adam and eve were married...they had a spiritual and physical bond between eachother with God as the center....sounds like marraige to me...There just werent priests then, and God himself, by creating eve for adam, implied marraige

Old 12-06-2006, 11:01 PM #17
trapt086

Quote:

If God made Eve for Adam yet there was no one at that time who was designated to marry them, Don't you think God would make provisions for this and consider them already married? I do.

Redz International : Infinity : Bawls Guarana : Titan Paintball
Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 PM #18
trapt086

Quote:

But in some ways adam and eve were married...they had a spiritual and physical bond between eachother with God as the center....sounds like marraige to me...There just werent priests then, and God himself, by creating eve for adam, implied marraige
Dang it you beat me to it

Redz International : Infinity : Bawls Guarana : Titan Paintball
Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 PM #19
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:

You used the term marriage. So I was forced to address your statement as such. Whether or not they were married is somewhat irrelevant to my point though.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 PM #20
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:

I know they had sex. That's my point. I think that's what they would of done most of the time. Again, marriage isn't really an object of this discussion. (Well at least my side of it)

Hirophant made another point that comes up quite often. Why does the perfect God need imperfect beings to glorify him?

And to X_Paint in case you missed my rebuttle:

This implies to me that the animals were made specifically for Adam's satisfaction.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM #21
visionimpulse2k3
S.N.A.F.U

I know, the reason i brought up the word marraige is because I was trying to show what is ok in the world today....because people have a negative view of sex in some ways..

It is a very holy and prayerful act, that is to be celebrated...but only within the bounds of marraige and without contraception