"proof" - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 PM #22
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformedcaptn View Post
Well that couldn't be to hard could it?
Looks like theists are doing a pretty good job of it.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2006, 11:42 PM #23
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.
 
X_Paint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ124 View Post
Recently it has come to my attention that there is no God.

I have come to this conclusion using common sense and a little scientific thought.

I have made this assumption by watching a movie entitled Donnie Darko.


In this movie a young man is forced to make a tangent universe end, in affect saving the lives of everyone else in the other universe. He using time travel and other techniques to make this possible. However, theoretically time travel is possible. Now in the Bible it says that Christ will return one day. This is a predetermined point in the future, but it time travel was accomplished then wouldnít all predetermined points in time become false?
Look at it this way, if we were be able to travel back in time and stop the formation of the colonies the United States may not have been formed, this would cause modern times to be much different. If and when we do travel back in time we could change history and effect the future.

We could stop wars and maybe even the destruction of the world. This would have upset Godís master plan for the human race forcing all religion to become nothing but a bunch of mumbo jumbo.
Just two questions, see the bolded above:

1) When did getting your assumptions from a fictional movie equal common sense and scientific thought.

2) When was the destruction of the Earth and why didn't anyone tell me about it.

I hate missing global destruction.
__________________
Ego is the opiate that dulls the pain of being obviously stupid.
X_Paint is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 PM #24
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.
 
X_Paint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
If one could accelerate past the speed of light, time travel would in fact be possible. One must first disprove the theory of relativity of course.
I loved that Star Trek episode!
__________________
Ego is the opiate that dulls the pain of being obviously stupid.
X_Paint is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 PM #25
Point|ess
Metal Face Doom
 
Point|ess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boca Raton
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
I loved that Star Trek episode!

I thought it was, you had to travel the speed of light and make a 90* turn.
__________________
Surfers of PBN
Point|ess is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:47 PM #26
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point|ess View Post
I thought it was, you had to travel the speed of light and make a 90* turn.
Don't forget to pull the E-Brake and get some nice drifting points...
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 PM #27
Eulogy (Banned)
 
Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central Minnesota
You don't need a movie to disprove god, just common sense.
Eulogy is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 PM #28
Point|ess
Metal Face Doom
 
Point|ess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boca Raton
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
You don't need a movie to disprove god, just common sense.
i find you username only slightly ironic.
__________________
Surfers of PBN
Point|ess is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:57 PM #29
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Time travel, in the sense of movies and literature, is NOT possible. Time is a man-made concept that explains the distance between the occurance of two events. Nothing more. There is no way to go back and change those events. The only time "travel" that is possible is going on about your day and letting it pass naturally.

As far as religion goes, I reccomend that you don't base your religious beliefs on whether or not time travel is possible.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 AM #30
Reformedcaptn
Fighting with bats!
 
Reformedcaptn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA
Reformedcaptn is a Supporting Member
But what about the Flux capacitor? your saying all thats not ture?
Reformedcaptn is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 AM #31
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
Time travel, in the sense of movies and literature, is NOT possible. Time is a man-made concept that explains the distance between the occurance of two events. Nothing more. There is no way to go back and change those events. The only time "travel" that is possible is going on about your day and letting it pass naturally.

As far as religion goes, I reccomend that you don't base your religious beliefs on whether or not time travel is possible.
If one could go past the speed of light, time travel would be possible. Seriously.
You would essentially be going so fast that you would be at one point in spacetime, and be able to look back and see your self at a previous point in spacetime. You wouldn't be able to go back to historical events 1000's of years ago, but it is still time travel nevertheless.

The only problem is exceeding the speed of light is impossible according to the theory of relativity. However, perhaps when a unified quantum gravitational theory arises, exceeding the speed of light might not be impossible. No one really knows at this point.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB

Last edited by Mps2216 : 12-07-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:21 AM #32
adampb5206
 
 
adampb5206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I'll cut you some slack and we'll say that time travel is possible. You say that it can let you go back and change events that change the outcome of now that you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ124 View Post
This would have upset Godís master plan...
Now the problem with this is that if you were to time travel and change the present, then it would be part of God's master plan otherwise someone would not have that much power without being stopped. Read the story of Antiochus Epiphanes.

Now my opinion. Time travel isnt possible and never will be, but it stumps me how you believe in time travel and not God?

Usually someone trying to disprove God affends me, but since you base your whole perception of religion on a fictional movie about time travel... I'll just pretend I missed this one.
__________________
Before the Boogy Man goes to bed at night he always checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
adampb5206 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 AM #33
vega_man_350
 
 
vega_man_350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
actually due to the law of physics time travel is true if you can accelerate past the speed of light because time slows down as you accelerate to that point. But it is impossible to do that because one's mass grows to infinity as you reach the speed of light therefore making it imposible. However it is all based on perspective. To those traveling at speed of light it is like nothing is changing, but all this is according to Albert and other scientist. so we reach a paradox because we haven't the rocket power or fuel to do so at this time and probably never will.

p.s. if any of you fellas have an autococker 15 degree asa that is chrome i would really like to have one. Peace out.
__________________

looking for cocker 15* asa, chrome nexus ram,
eclipse qevs, chrome front block

feedback http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1867003
roller cocker sear f/s http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post28899171
vega_man_350 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 AM #34
thallium
stick it in the fridge
 
thallium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA
They just don't make time machines like they will.
__________________
green laser pointer for sale http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post59186276
thallium is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 AM #35
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
Don't forget to pull the E-Brake and get some nice drifting points...
Awesome Drift!!

x9 Multiplier!
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM #36
paintballonaim (Banned)
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Hahaha, you say there is no God because you think you can travel through time? Makes sense to me...
paintballonaim is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 AM #37
Claremont
brains...delicious brains
 
Claremont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
your reasoning sucks

Theoretical physics can prove an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy-kevin costner reasoning ftw

and if you wanna prove scientifically that god doesnt exist, just use common sense. try the five senses can we

hear, see, feel, taste, or smell god? nope, so then theoritically in the world of science this proves he doesnt exist? maybe? im not sure, but im down with god.

Last edited by Claremont : 12-07-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Claremont is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 AM #38
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claremont View Post
your reasoning sucks

Theoretical physics can prove an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy-kevin costner reasoning ftw
Is the daisy made of carbon nanotubes?


Quote:
and if you wanna prove scientifically that god doesnt exist, just use common sense. try the five senses can we

hear, see, feel, taste, or smell god? nope, so then theoritically in the world of science this proves he doesnt exist? maybe? im not sure, but im down with god.
Science by definition won't find God. Science is an attempt to explain natural phenomena with natural causes. If there is anything supernatural, it's outside of science's domain.
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM #39
blueshifty
RIP: UnderÝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
You would essentially be going so fast that you would be at one point in spacetime, and be able to look back and see your self at a previous point in spacetime.
Like has been mentioned time is relative to a position. I don't believe time travel is possible, because it would require changing the current position. I do think observing the past might be possible theoritically if you could move away from an image faster than light is, but you could not have any interaction with it. Observing the future I don't think is in anyway possible.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 AM #40
Claremont
brains...delicious brains
 
Claremont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
Is the daisy made of carbon nanotubes?


dont question the kostner.
Claremont is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:47 PM #41
morca007
 
 
morca007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
Don't come to assumptions about personal beliefs from a movie, especially Donnie Darko...
While I am an atheist, I agree with this statement so much. If you wish to cease to be religous, do so for logical reasons, not because a horrible cult movie said so.
morca007 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM #42
PBballa8536
Purdue
 
PBballa8536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 765/314
PBballa8536 plays in the PSP
PBballa8536 is an NCPA player
PBballa8536 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Time travel is NOT possible.
Before you let some movie or someone tell you what is right, go to a church, a mosque, and a temple and decide for yourself

Im a christain not because my parents or pastor tells me too, but because i can feel God in my life, and the only way to experience that is to check out a church, and really seek to find him.

the bible promises in Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

if you truely seek to find God you will find him
__________________
Feedback
Hu[STLe II
Luxe F/S/T
PBballa8536 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump