Is there a god? - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM #1
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Is there a god?

Figure I'd start out the new subforum with a debate...Is it more likely that there is a god, or is it more likely that there isn't one?
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 PM #2
TJ.
FSM=FTW
 
TJ.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, GA
I believe fully in the power of the FSM



Edit, sorry for posting JUST the image, fsm discussions can be continued here:
The official Pastafarian Discussion

Last edited by TJ. : 12-06-2006 at 04:37 PM.
TJ. is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:28 PM #3
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Figure I'd start out the new subforum with a debate...Is it more likely that there is a god, or is it more likely that there isn't one?
I think that this question is about as answerable as the question "Is there a god?". To those who don't believe, no. To those who do, yes.

Personally, I think it's more logical that a supreme being of some type does exist.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:29 PM #4
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
I think that this question is about as answerable as the question "Is there a god?". To those who don't believe, no. To those who do, yes.

Personally, I think it's more logical that a supreme being of some type does exist.
Cool, how come?
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM #5
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Cool, how come?
Without even bringing in a specific religion, I think that it makes sense for some type of supreme being or creator to be involved with our world. Even if our science is 100% accurate, even if the big bang truly did occur, we still have no explaination for what happens before that. If we ever do explain what was before the big bang, then what was before that? Where did that come from? The fact that we can't answer the question of what happened before or what happened first, leads me to believe that something had to create it. Or something had to design it. And unless we find some answer for what made the universe, I will continue to assume that some type of supreme being exists.

And for the record, the supreme being I believe in is the Christian God.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM #6
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
I do not believe in a god of any sort. I believe everything around us is the result of random chances and circumstances that have compounded over the preceding billions of years.

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM #7
LiquidSpeed
Blah Blah MW>HK Blah Blah
 
LiquidSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ~708~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
I do not believe in a god of any sort. I believe everything around us is the result of random chances and circumstances that have compounded over the preceding billions of years.

CQ
Science ftmfw.

I agree 100% with CQ
__________________
|Smart Parts ION|-|T-Board|-|CP Rake Trigger|-|SP 360 QEV|-|Function Clamping Feedneck|-|Shocktech mini drop and on/off|-|Hyper 2 Reg|- |Freak|
LiquidSpeed is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM #8
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid
 
TESlight'emupTES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
TESlight'emupTES donated to help Peyton Trent
From the experiences I've had throughout my life, I can't even try to say I don't believe that God exists. I can explain, if you'd like, but I'm not going to waste my time if you guys are just going to dismiss everything I say.
TESlight'emupTES is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:47 PM #9
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES View Post
From the experiences I've had throughout my life, I can't even try to say I don't believe that God exists. I can explain, if you'd like, but I'm not going to waste my time if you guys are just going to dismiss everything I say.
No one will disrespect you, if they wish to remain welcome on this website.

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM #10
U S NAVY SEALS
 
 
U S NAVY SEALS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
U S NAVY SEALS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
U S NAVY SEALS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
I do not believe in a god of any sort. I believe everything around us is the result of random chances and circumstances that have compounded over the preceding billions of years.

CQ
you saved me the time of typing
__________________
ST:A Motorcycles I didn't know we were a club? We're just a bunch of dudes *****ing about broken motorcycles and typing more than we ride... - Sea Kittens
U S NAVY SEALS is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 PM #11
Eulogy (Banned)
batter
 
Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central Minnesota
No
Eulogy is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 PM #12
Believer
There is no God but God
 
Believer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
read the quran my brothers and you will know what you didnt know before and learn what you strived to learn
__________________
Is there any Reward for Good - other than Good?

[ Quran 55:60 ]



MUSLIM BALLERS CLUB
Lacrosse Equipment
Blue 06 Shocker Must Be Gone
Believer is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 PM #13
brokenpencil412
11:11
 
brokenpencil412's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
I do not believe in a god of any sort. I believe everything around us is the result of random chances and circumstances that have compounded over the preceding billions of years.

CQ
And all those random chances and circumstances had to have started from somewhere. One could conclude that before anything and everything, there was nothing. Unless you don't believe any of that, which is perfectly fine, how does something pop into place from a nonexistant nothingness?
brokenpencil412 is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 PM #14
LiquidSpeed
Blah Blah MW>HK Blah Blah
 
LiquidSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ~708~
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpencil412 View Post
And all those random chances and circumstances had to have started from somewhere. One could conclude that before anything and everything, there was nothing. Unless you don't believe any of that, which is perfectly fine, how does something pop into place from a nonexistant nothingness?
If you say that, than how did "god" Just come out of no where? He had to have come from something

Hence the fact of evolution
__________________
|Smart Parts ION|-|T-Board|-|CP Rake Trigger|-|SP 360 QEV|-|Function Clamping Feedneck|-|Shocktech mini drop and on/off|-|Hyper 2 Reg|- |Freak|
LiquidSpeed is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:01 PM #15
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpencil412 View Post
And all those random chances and circumstances had to have started from somewhere. One could conclude that before anything and everything, there was nothing. Unless you don't believe any of that, which is perfectly fine, how does something pop into place from a nonexistant nothingness?
That's how I see it. Even if there was nothing before the big bang, where did the material for the something come from? Where did the nothing come from? There's no scientific explaination for nothing turning to something. Even then, there is no explaination for where the nothing came into existance in the first place. To me, it makes sense that some supreme being helped create this. Maybe a supreme being caused the big bang. Maybe a supreme being created whatever was before the big bang. If you keep going back in time, eventually you have a question that you can't, and never will answer. In my own opinion, it would require a supreme being of some type with better understanding of the world than our own to do this. It would take some type of supreme being to turn the nothingness into something.

I would be much more inclined to believe in a matrix-esque where someone was controlling our world before I would believe that nothing was around before the big bang and then, *poof* we have a universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpeed View Post
If you say that, than how did "god" Just come out of no where? He had to have come from something
Well the point is that the supreme being has understanding and power that we don't. Meaning that some being can defy physics and science as we know it. A supreme being is the only thing that could possibly NOT come from something.

Last edited by graysonp : 12-06-2006 at 05:05 PM.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:01 PM #16
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpencil412 View Post
And all those random chances and circumstances had to have started from somewhere. One could conclude that before anything and everything, there was nothing. Unless you don't believe any of that, which is perfectly fine, how does something pop into place from a nonexistant nothingness?
That question, to me, is irrelevant. Regardless of what occurred before the big bang, I do not believe a God caused it. I believe that what happened before the big bang (whether you believe that a singularity just sat there, or that a previous universe collapsed into the singularity, or any of the other theories) occurred according to whatever set of natural laws governed that system of existence, just as our current existence is governed by its own set of natural laws.

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM #17
Front-Assualt
Has Turned Emo
 
Front-Assualt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
I believe there is a god, when i look around i cant help but think that something so beautiful (the earth) could be created just by random chance and luck that these atoms happened to join with those atoms and such. Thats why i believe.

However, we can never prove that god exists, the very words in the bible explain it when it says that "without faith, God does not exist" im not exactly sure in which book of the bible it says that or even if it says exactly that...but thats the jist of it. If God was proven to exist, people wouldnt have faith because they would know, therefore causing him to no longer exist.
Front-Assualt is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM #18
brokenpencil412
11:11
 
brokenpencil412's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpeed View Post
If you say that, than how did "god" Just come out of no where? He had to have come from something

Hence the fact of evolution
How does evolution appy to anyting here? Anyway, I wouldn't need an explaination for how "god" came out of nowhere. When I ask about random chances and circumstances, I'm also assuming they're of this universe and bound by it's laws. A "god" would be outside of and therefore unbound to the laws of universe. All I'm saying is, how do you explain random chances and circumstances with the laws of this universe?
brokenpencil412 is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM #19
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
There's no scientific explaination for nothing turning to something.
Sure there is, and it's an elegantly simple one. E=MC^2. The theory of relativity provides a very simple method for creating matter (something) out of energy (nothing).

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM #20
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front-Assualt View Post
I believe there is a god, when i look around i cant help but think that something so beautiful (the earth) could be created just by random chance and luck that these atoms happened to join with those atoms and such. Thats why i believe.

However, we can never prove that god exists, the very words in the bible explain it when it says that "without faith, God does not exist" im not exactly sure in which book of the bible it says that or even if it says exactly that...but thats the jist of it. If God was proven to exist, people wouldnt have faith because they would know, therefore causing him to no longer exist.
paintballonaim is offline  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:06 PM #21
LiquidSpeed
Blah Blah MW>HK Blah Blah
 
LiquidSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ~708~
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpencil412 View Post
How does evolution appy to anyting here? Anyway, I wouldn't need an explaination for how "god" came out of nowhere. When I ask about random chances and circumstances, I'm also assuming they're of this universe and bound by it's laws. A "god" would be outside of and therefore unbound to the laws of universe. All I'm saying is, how do you explain random chances and circumstances with the laws of this universe?
The fact of evolution came from the fact that we werent just created by some supernatural being.
__________________
|Smart Parts ION|-|T-Board|-|CP Rake Trigger|-|SP 360 QEV|-|Function Clamping Feedneck|-|Shocktech mini drop and on/off|-|Hyper 2 Reg|- |Freak|
LiquidSpeed is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump