Religion, Good for humanity, or the bane of it? - Page 3 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:17 PM #43
motherhen
 
 
motherhen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by morca007 View Post
Benefits:
-Charitable works (again, non-unique, and can be done more effectively without the restriction placed up them by their religous benefactors)
I was replying to the original post of: "…..yet to see ONE good thing from religion.", so I listed a few "good things"

Just showing examples of the "good" religion does and will bring humanity.

I guess for me it comes down to is the "glass half full or empty", nothing more.

There is good is my response.
motherhen is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM #44
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
How so saved, please explain this. If you mean saved as in their "soul" then thats just MORE proof of the control, and coruption pushed apon humanity by religion. The very idea there is some mythical ghost in the clouds, who created everything, is all powerful but oh...made us with a soul we can loose to some mythical red skined pitchfork holding freak in the center of the earth...is just outright silly.
Well, no that's not what I meant... I meant if you follow the Bible, you're not supposed to go out and kill... imagine if there was no "thou shalt not kill" commandment.
paintballonaim is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM #45
IchBinKaseBrot
Oscar Whiskey
 
IchBinKaseBrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, TX
IchBinKaseBrot is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by morca007 View Post
Bane of humanity. It has caused more, and bloodier wars than anything else.
Ha! What about the Romans conquest of Western Europe where they slaughtered millions of Gauls? Did they do it because Jupiter told them to? No, they did it because they wanted more land, money and power. Look at Ghengis Khan's invasion of the present day middle east. Did he do it for religious purposes? No, he did because a greedy *** Sultan insulted, killed and stole a caravan of Khan's goods so he went and massacred an entire country for it. He also did it because they had goods that Ghengis wanted and it's far easier to go and take them under force than it is to barter for them. The destruction of the Aztec and Inca civilizations wasn't done in the name of God as some "historians" would say. It was done because those two major native american civilizations had a **** ton of gold and the spainards wanted it.

Saying religion or God has done more harm than good is completely ignorant. God has just been used as a front to cover man's own greed and inhumanity towards man...
__________________
Nothing says "I love you" like murder-suicide.

Auburn Tigers
Portsmouth FC

Collegeandmagnolia.com - Corner of Auburn & the Internet
لا يوجد سلام على أبواب
IchBinKaseBrot is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM #46
151*
Will Return
 
151*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchBinKaseBrot View Post

Saying religion or God has done more harm than good is completely ignorant. God has just been used as a front to cover man's own greed and inhumanity towards man...
Exactly
__________________
AC Dub Club
151* is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 05:38 PM #47
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!
 
Overbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Leandro, CA
Overbear is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballonaim View Post
Well, no that's not what I meant... I meant if you follow the Bible, you're not supposed to go out and kill... imagine if there was no "thou shalt not kill" commandment.
To not kill is a human trait not something some 'god' shoved down our throats man. Think about it, the military has to TRAIN people to kill otherwise they will hesitate or even fail in their mission as solders.

The one who kill because they injoy it, are clearly broken. Something is messed up inside them. However its not the norm, we don't need some "commandment" to tell us not to kill, its already inside each of us geneticly incoded as part of our survivile traits.
__________________
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM #48
superwaffleman2
Charlies in the trees!!11
 
superwaffleman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bevtown, Grassechusetts
Good without fundamentalists, Bad with fundamentalists.
__________________
XBOX Live- Supawaffleman
LADodgersBostonRedSoxDallasCowboysBostonBruinsBostonCeltics
superwaffleman2 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM #49
morca007
 
 
morca007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchBinKaseBrot View Post
Saying religion or God has done more harm than good is completely ignorant. God has just been used as a front to cover man's own greed and inhumanity towards man...
"Religion" as I am using it in this context has as much to do with the front people use it as, as it does with any other intentions.
Organized religion is an excellent tool to control large amounts of people.

I am still waiting for a response to my weighing mech.
morca007 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:36 PM #50
LayedPbPlayer
18b
 
LayedPbPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Campbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point|ess View Post
I think greed, hate, jealousy, and pride are natural human emotions that prevent world peace moreso than a group of people who share a common belief of a creator. In fact I believe most religions preach against such things.
Let's take Christianity for example, There have been many wars by christians one of the most notable was "The Crusades" The crusades were battles waged for about 200 years. Their goal was to recapture the holy land or Jerusalem.The practically killed anyone non-Christian for as they put it, "It was gods will"
They also had a craze of where they would, jail, and kill people for being "witches" with no evidence. You may know this as the Salem witch trials. The only evidence you would need is to go into convulsions and say you saw "so-and-so's" face telling you to sign the devils book. If you denied it you were killed instantly if you admitted to it you were jailed and then killed.
But christians aren't the only one who did horrible things, religions do today, (terrorrists)
__________________
Still alive
Airborne
5th SFG
De Oppresso Liber
LayedPbPlayer is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM #51
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
To not kill is a human trait not something some 'god' shoved down our throats man. Think about it, the military has to TRAIN people to kill otherwise they will hesitate or even fail in their mission as solders.

The one who kill because they injoy it, are clearly broken. Something is messed up inside them. However its not the norm, we don't need some "commandment" to tell us not to kill, its already inside each of us geneticly incoded as part of our survivile traits.
Killing is a natural instinct to all creatures on God's green Earth, the military just teaches you how to do it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayedPbPlayer View Post
Let's take Christianity for example, There have been many wars by christians one of the most notable was "The Crusades" The crusades were battles waged for about 200 years. Their goal was to recapture the holy land or Jerusalem.The practically killed anyone non-Christian for as they put it, "It was gods will"
They also had a craze of where they would, jail, and kill people for being "witches" with no evidence. You may know this as the Salem witch trials. The only evidence you would need is to go into convulsions and say you saw "so-and-so's" face telling you to sign the devils book. If you denied it you were killed instantly if you admitted to it you were jailed and then killed.
But christians aren't the only one who did horrible things, religions do today, (terrorrists)
I honestly don't consider them Christians - just a bunch of hypocrites. They murdered for their religion, which in essence, is exactly what the Bible says not to do. They were todays terroists hiding their greed behind the shield of Christianity. Of course no one will by in to "It's for land and money man...", but for whatever reason back in the day, "I'll do it for God.......and gold and land" was acceptible.
paintballonaim is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 PM #52
LayedPbPlayer
18b
 
LayedPbPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Campbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballonaim View Post
Killing is a natural instinct to all creatures on God's green Earth, the military just teaches you how to do it well.



I honestly don't consider them Christians - just a bunch of hypocrites. They murdered for their religion, which in essence, is exactly what the Bible says not to do. They were todays terroists hiding their greed behind the shield of Christianity. Of course no one will by in to "It's for land and money man...", but for whatever reason back in the day, "I'll do it for God.......and gold and land" was acceptible.
Their main reason for The Crusades was to recapture the holy land of Jerusalem, and the holy land, FOR god. Not gold, I can see your argument for land but the land was still FOR god for they believed their god would want them to capture the place of his son's birth and death. Even though you may not consider them Christian, guess what, they were.
__________________
Still alive
Airborne
5th SFG
De Oppresso Liber
LayedPbPlayer is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM #53
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Well, when human beings were just beginning to socialize and form groups religion gave members of a society a common identity. It helped them to band together and share common beliefs that benefited to group.

However, there is no need for religion in the present time. But, if practised in moderation and in private religion can give people a sense of peace. Its only when religious people try and force religion on others that conflict emerges.

Almost all of the conflicts of the world come from religion. In the Balkans in the '90s, there was massive ethnic cleansing of Muslims by Orthodox Christians. In Chechnya, we have Muslims fighting to establsh a Islamic state. In Darfur, Arab Muslims are killing Africans who follow tribal religions. In Iraq, many Muslims are fighting against what they see as an "infidel incursion." In Sri Lanka, Hindu factions seek to establish a seperate nation away from the Buddhist majority. In Kashmir, Muslim Pakistanis fight against Hindu Indians.

And I could keep going.

There is no doubt that religion has done some good. It gives people a sense of purpose and helps them lead a life in a world that is indifferent to their existence. Humans naturally try to find meaning in a universe that does not give one and religion helps them get through the tribunals of life.

There's nothing wrong in establishing a sense of purpose through belief in a high power, but please do not force it on anyone.
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump