Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-04-2006, 09:13 PM #1
yakitori
Steal this and DIE...

AKA HOW TO: Viking Hammer Cartridge Disassembly

AKA How To: Disassemble Hammer Cartridge

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you do to your gun or parts. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this……STOP….SEND YOUR GUN TO DC for a tuneup.

SCROLL DOWN TO BOTTOM FOR REASSEMBLY VIDEO. It sucks I know. .

Tools needed

3 prong tool
Spanner wrench (for 03 and earlier, crescent or wrench for 04s)
Tool kit w/ gauge
Allen wrench
AKA extreme lube (or equivalent synthetic oil)
Blue (removable loctite)
Vice (optional, for removal of hammer weight)

Here is how to disassemble and clean / rebuild your hammer cartride for a Viking. An Excalibur would be the same only different dimensions. The parts are very similar though.

First, remove the hammer cartridge from your gun using the 3 prong tool. You should remove your bolt first. Some of these pictures are nitros old pictures, Im just using it for the concept.

Once your hammer is unscrewed all the way, you can put your bolt pin in front of the hammer and push the hammer out the back of the gun using the bolt pin.

With the hammer removed use the 3 prong tool and spanner wrench to remove the cartridge cap. Use care not to screw up the back of your cartridge and scratch it up or it will be showing when you reinstall it in the gun. If it makes you feel better put masking or electrical tape over it before you start.

Once the cap is remove pull the entire hammer and shaft out of the cartridge. It will look like this.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM #2
yakitori
Steal this and DIE...

Use a vice to remove the hammer weight. Don’t just slap your hammer in a vice or grab it w/ pliars either. You must not damage the shaft or the brass fitting on the end of your hammer plunger. There are ways to get it off, namely drilling a hole in a wooden dowel rod, and cutting it in two and putting the halves on each side of the brass fitting and putting it in the vice while removing the hammer weight w/ a wrench. You may need to heat it a little as they are RED loctited from the factory. This is not 100% necessary unless you are replacing bumpers, etc. You can, in most cases stretch an 010 oring over the tophat bumper stop that is inside the cartridge.

With the hammer weight removed you can now remove the parts from the shaft. It will look like this. *YOU will more than LIKELY need these parts if you plan on SELF INSTALLING the BALANCED VALVE*

Make sure the tail oring on the shaft is in good condition. If it is not, it can vent through the solenoid and mislead you to believe you need a new solenoid. It can also lead to inconsistency. I have removed mine and inspected / replaced it.

Clean the inside of your cartridge w/ a q tip. Make sure you clean it out good. DO NOT USE ANYTHING METAL TO STICK IN THIS PART. If you score it……you will more than likely cause it to leak or need to be replaced.

Now reassemble in reverse order. It should look like this when complete. Apply a generous amount of AKA lube on the tail oring on the shaft, and the oring that seats inside the cartridge cap. They are both UR70 010 orings. They need to be lubed good.

Apply a small drop of blue loctite on the cartridge cap and the shaft threads where the hammer weight screws in. Do not over tighten when reassembling.

Put AKA lube on the outer catridge orings and reinstall into the gun. Air it up to ensure no leaks. Fire a few shots. Then I suggest letting the loctite dry for several hours before going out and ripping on it.

After replacing orings to the cartridge, use your tool kit gauge and increase your LPR pressure to 75-80psi or so (even 85 if you wish). You will need to go through the break in period again. You can turn your LPR back down to 65-70psi after you break it in for several cases. If you don’t, your gun will be inconsistent and probably have FSDO until it gets broken in well.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM #3
yakitori
Steal this and DIE...

Here is a video I did of reassembly, albeit, poor quality. I know my hand was in the way and I was at a loss for words a couple time, but Im no professional video taper. .

For some reason ALL my videos I upload to youtube have some serious soundlag issues. Nonetheless, heres there video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ljwf2-dcA

Last edited by yakitori : 12-05-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:02 PM #4
krayzkrn
noobigrant

Thanks for the nice write-up.