I will stay about even 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:17 AM #22
TimberGhost0417

TimberGhost0417 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc_4747 View Post
Trying to sell custom bodies is just not worth it simply because the company who has $500,000 milling equipment will just sell more. If I were deciding from 2 bodies, one made by a company and one made by a guy in his house and they looked the exact same I would buy the body from the company...
That's why I said he has to identify his customers

Ion users range from stock bodies/stock frames all the way through to $100+ aftermarket bodies and aftermarket frames.

Some people are willing to spend over $100 for a frame, some people aren't even willing to spend $1.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 AM #23
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
You would make money, but it may not be worth your time. You set the prices and I assume this is a side thing so you have no ocerhead like rent to pay due to your business. Because of that you can charge just a little or a lot over your costs. Assuming you do good work you may get a decent draw. The problem is the ion is a budget marker and as such most people are looking for budget upgrades if it is something like this. So I doubt you will be able to charge a ton over what it costs to do. Because of this you may end up working for like 2 bucks and hour. Then you have to ask yourself is that pay worth the work. I doubt you lose money unless you buy in bulk supplies and nobody gets work done. I think you would make more money and have less headaches just by getting a minimum wage job.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 AM #24
Adrenaline-Junkie
Hells Yeah!

Annual Supporting Member
Adrenaline-Junkie posts videos on PbNation
Adrenaline-Junkie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Dont waste your time with it cus it wont go anywhere.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:09 AM #25
ZachG

me and some friends were thinking about doing this localy, we just modifyd all of our bodies recently, i dont think SP would care as long as they didnt know, it would be nice to make a small profit but who really cares if u loose money, if u do it wont be too much and u can always stop at anytime, we would do it b/c we like doin stuff together.

so i say go ahead and do it if u really want to do it
SBC Member #3

Team Impact, MS

Put This In Your Sig if Your Parents Don't Pay For Your Stuff.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:13 AM #26
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 supports Empire
i think u are at the wrong place asking. Personally i think u will make a profit as long as u make sure that the price is high enough. Of course if you make 50 dollars off of the custom body that takes u 20 hrs to make, it is worth it?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:14 PM #27
Ionpimp3
yes, my username is gay.

but see there will be like 2 to 9 people working on bodies at the same time so we will assign jobs and pass it to the next person to do there job so basically like a chain of workers it shouldn't take to long.

and im targeting people who won't spend $100 on a body, people looking to have a custom 1 of 1 body that they absolutley want, and people on a budget.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 PM #28
Whoelse
Spray and Pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberGhost0417 View Post
Like any business, it depends on demand, supply, does you're product fill a need in the market, and what price the market is willing to pay.

Basic economics will let you know that with a product that people want, the lower you're price is, the higher the demand for you're product will be and the more units you will end up selling as long as you get the word out and people know it's available.

You need to identify you're customers. Who will you be selling to? What will you're customers be looking for? What kinds of set-ups/color schemes will you're body match?

***An example would be:
#1 People seeking a good looking aftermarket body.
#2 People who don't have too much money to spend on an aftermarket body.
#3 People who have "enter set-up colors"

Aftermarket bodies are being sold by many mainstream companies and you're going to be competing with all the big names. However, with a good looking design, you can effectively compete by having a low price.

What will be you're competitive advantage?
You're competitive advantage should be price. Assuming you have a good product that people want, a low price advantage will get people to think " Hey that's a nice product, and it only costs _____." demand will be higher compared to a higher price, and you're sales should go up as long as you're getting the word out effectively.

How much will it cost to produce each body and ship it to the buyer?
Time & Effort
Materials Costs (body, tools, paint, etc...)
Shipping, packing materials, etc... (bodies are light, use first class mail)

That's just the basics. Good luck
I agree, i wish you the best of luck if you do. Time is money.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:57 PM #29
Ionpimp3
yes, my username is gay.

what does anyone else think? and what would be a good price range to resell these as?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 PM #30
Adrenaline-Junkie
Hells Yeah!

Annual Supporting Member
Adrenaline-Junkie posts videos on PbNation
Adrenaline-Junkie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Just dont bother. Ive known a few people to offer the service and in the end it just didnt work out or wasnt worth the time.What youll have ask for the service will be more than what itd take for someone to do it themselves. Factor in the time and stuff and your just not getting anywhere.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:48 PM #31
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionpimp3 View Post
what does anyone else think? and what would be a good price range to resell these as?
You have to know what your expenses are so you know what the bottom limit is. Also I didnt see where you really explain what exactly you plan on doing to the body. If its very basic then not much. If its something the average person cant do then a bit more. If all you are doing is stepping in for the lazy people and are doing something most anyone can do then you wont be able to charge much. If you have artistic skill and actually do something that takes talent you could charge quite a bit.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:51 PM #32
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionpimp3 View Post
but see there will be like 2 to 9 people working on bodies at the same time so we will assign jobs and pass it to the next person to do there job so basically like a chain of workers it shouldn't take to long.

and im targeting people who won't spend $100 on a body, people looking to have a custom 1 of 1 body that they absolutley want, and people on a budget.
if u have 1 of 1 body then u can't pass it like a chain. i say it is a good plan but ur business plans has a few holes in it.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 PM #33
Ionpimp3
yes, my username is gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
if u have 1 of 1 body then u can't pass it like a chain. i say it is a good plan but ur business plans has a few holes in it.
and where do you think these wholes in my plans are?

EDIT: I'm working on a prototype right now that a guy pm'd me and requested
Old 11-25-2006, 09:22 AM #34
Ionpimp3
yes, my username is gay.

what does anyone else think?
Closed Thread