Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 AM #1
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

NECanes Coach is a Supporting Member
NECanes Coach is a Professional paintball player
How hard is it for you to get a good practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutninja View Post
well in new england it seems pretty hard to get alot better, because alot of the teams that i see playing wont play against the younger kids or teenagers, who are just under the skill of playing nationals. and they cant play nationals because of the lack of practice coming from older more exp. teams. my team and I took a couple hour trip to maynard a couple weeks ago. expecting to go and get our ***** kicked so we can learn somthing. but no one would let us play with them. we all have tons or torney exp. and all are willing to get smashed, but not even a 5 man novice team would play against us. becuase they belive that they are to good to play other teams that are younger then they are.

im not trying to bash new england or anyone. sorry if you take it that way.
I know there is a lot of truth in what he is saying here. (This was taken from another thread.) I am always telling teams, and players to find people better than them to play against so they can get better. I think most of you understand the concept, but, if everyone is doing this, the newest players will have a tough time getting on the field.

I would like to read what some of you think, then give you my 2 cents worth.

When you answer, list this info first...

Your Age:
Team Skill level: (Rookie, Novice, etc...)
Team Type: (3 man, 5 man, 7 man)
Where do you play?
Have you played any tournaments yet?

After that, give your opinion.

Thanks.
Hurricane Facebook Fan Site
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2006, 07:18 AM #2
swatstylez
A Dom.Rep Canuck

18, rookie, 5 man team, Paintball Kingdom. two tournaments. (fairly new team). My opinion on this is that some of it is yes well true. some better teams just feel like there wasting time facing us rookie teams. Our sponsor tries to find some scrims for our team by scriming better teams but there hard to come by so we find ourselves working on our techs instead. we try having 2 or 3 teams to scrim a month atleast one team a month., but again hard to come by. we've been doing better lately being able to scrim some CFOA teams, but just wanted to state my opinion , its hard to find the teams that will scrim us knowing there going to beat us but you gotta keep looking and eventually like us you'll find some.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post78185668
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 AM #3
502 killa
THIRDEYE

Annual Supporting Member
502 killa plays in the PSP
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
502 killa plays in the APPA D2 division
Your Age:17
Team Skill level: Rookie
Team Type: 5man/7man
Where do you play? Paintball Asylum, louisville ky
Have you played any tournaments yet?A few but just local stuff
What i have seen is exactly the opposite of the first post/quote. All the better/more experienced teams are wanting and willing to help us out and practice with us and give us tips on what we are ding wrong and everything else/
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 AM #4
bobbo7915

Your Age:23
Team Skill level: novice
Team Type: 5 man
Where do you play? fox 4, providence indoor, playboyz once in a while.
Have you played any tournaments yet? yes, my team just finished the fox 4 season and are looking forward to the nepl next year.

This was my first season of playing tournament paintball. i joined with my team back in February of this year and have practiced against ARMAGEDDON almost every wednesday night since. practicing against them has improved my game ten fold and as a team it has been a tremendous improvement. they would be the first ones to say that it doesnt help them improve by practicing with us. im sure on the weekends they were off playing teams better then they were to try and improve.

we as a team make it a point to help out the less experienced teams and/or players, without age discrimination. on wednesday nights we are more then happy to rotate in some players and throw out some pointers, we all were them at one point and needed help to improve. even though we arent one of the well known teams in the area, players are always looking up to us.

even though we might not be able to practice against a better team all the time, we make the best of it. either by running drills for the night or playing a few pickup games with some walk ons. the toughest time for us to have a good practice was when the NPPL came to boston. everyone seemed to be doing 7 man rotations and no one wanted to play 5 man.

it isnt that hard for us to have a good practice. sometimes you need to set things up in advance, sometimes you have to get creative and make the best of what you have to work with.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 AM #5
cero

d2
5man 7man xball
texas
nppl psp ncpa

this happens to a lot of teams. i think it comes from alot of the older/better teams not wanting to "waste" time practicing aganst someone they are 'sure' they are going to beat. this happened to my college team for a few years. no one would play us, so we just had to scrimm ourselves. while this helped the bteam out alot, the ateam actually got worse as the semester went on. what we did was go to somewere else and took any game we could get, and smashed heads till we started getting respect.

but back to your point, just about everyone has the mindset of having to play better teams to get better. its just that not many teams are willing to help out a younger team.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:36 AM #6
masspb

Your Age: 23
Team Skill level: NA
Team Type: NA
Where do you play? PnL is where i usually play but i have been to other places
Have you played any tournaments yet? No

U know me DA, i have been looking for a team for quite some time now and i am still looking. "the newest players will have a tough time getting on the field" what you just said right there is very true, well atleast in my situation it is. Alot of teams just looked right past me because i have no tourny exp and won't even give me the chance to tryout. I feel as if you have to know people to get anywhere and it shouldn't be like this. It kinda reminds of how U.S. soccer is compared to the rest of the world but that is another story for another time.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM #7
Bugler
Work Gloves Are So AGG!

Your Age: 17
Team Skill level: (Rookie, Novice, etc...) Novice
Team Type: (3 man, 5 man, 7 man) All of the above. Playing 7 man right now
Where do you play? BP maynard Birchhill Cape Cod
Have you played any tournaments yet? NPPL d-3, NEPL.

If anyone just goes to maynard, usually riptide, some of the canes are usually there. A lot of people have a hard time finding people to play against, so just head down to maynard and ball down there.

-Bugler.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:18 AM #8
theicecreamman9
who wants a push pop?

Does this thread apply for players NOT on a team? I know its hard enough to find a good practice when you're on a team thats not in the top 5 (10 in 5man) nepl. But its even harder finding a good practice when you're just playing around to play, and maybe find a team. Ive been to maynard, its nice dont get me wrong, but the 7 mans are going to play JUST 7 man teams, and some of the 5 man teams just sit around and think theyre better than people. I dont think it would be possible to just go to maynard and play with a bunch of people at your skill unless youre friends with someone on a team, or you go down with friends.. sorry for the rant.

anyways my info..

Your Age:16
Team Skill level: ineter.
Team Type: 7 man, but i want to play PSP/xball
Where do you play? anywhere.
Have you played any tournaments yet? yes. alot.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM #9
CerialKiller
Nashvillain

CerialKiller posts videos on PbNation
Your Age:18
Team Skill level: d2 xball
Team Type: 5man/xball
Where do you play?Middle Tennesse
Have you played any tournaments yet: psps, cfoas

I see exactly where these guys are comin from, i know it can be hard because if your team is more experienced, then your goin to wanna play guys on your level or higher than you so that you can get some practice, because i mean playing kids that arnt't at your level and you know you can beat is worthless right? Instead of Scrimmage against lower level teams, to help them out, split up your team with theirs and help them with what u see needs improving, instead of smashing them into the ground and not letting them get any better. That's my two cents ..holla .
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM #10
SMUHuskie
My Balls Yo Face!!!

SMUHuskie is a Supporting Member
Your Age: 22
Team Skill level: (Rookie, Novice, etc...) Amature
Team Type: (3 man, 5 man, 7 man) X-ball
Where do you play? Halifax, Nova Scotia, but now playing in Newfoundland
Have you played any tournaments yet? too many..

I was playing with a lot of great guys in Nova Scotia, there are some really good crazy ballers there....but now that I moved to newfoundland, the skill level has dropped a bunch.....

HKANADA

EAST COAST OUTLAWS *ECO*
MONCTON SHOCK (CXBL)

WE WANT YOUR GEAR!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 AM #11
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Your Age: 26
Team Skill level: rookie
Team Type: 5 man
Where do you play? Boston Paintball, Fox 4
Have you played any tournaments yet? Played Fox 4 3-man & 5-man tournament series this year. Boning up for NEPL 5-man novice next season.

I got back into paintball last year, and I've only been playing speedball for about a year now, with a 3 month hiatus over the winter. The team I'm with now came together because we always ended up playing in the same places at the same times and it just happened. I played three 3-man tourneys with my team (we took 1st in two of them), and one 5-man tourney (missed semis by 12 points!). It's been a hell of an education.

We've played teams with lower, similar and higher skill levels. You definitely learn more from playing against better players, but there's a limit to that. A rookie team playing against, say, the 'canes, even just practicing, it's going to be tough to get much out of that because you'll most likely get rolled. Playing teams that are, say, one step above you will, in my experience, give you the best bang for your buck, so-to-speak.

You can still learn from teams in your experience level because you can focus on what you know and make incremental improvements. Playing against lesser experienced teams is also useful because, in addition to giving them experience, you have a little more room to work with and can practice technique in an engaging, but not distracting, environment. If a team, or a group of walk-ons wants to play us, I'll never turn them down.

If you're not on a team, or even if you are, find out where other teams are playing and go play there. Almost every field has a website, and a forum. Sign up and talk with the people that play there. Most fields also have one or two nights a week oriented towards teams/experienced players. Try to go play on those nights. All of the indoor places should have loads of teams on those nights now that winter's on its way.

Be mindful of what you want to put into it, also. I know we're looking for a few more players to round out our roster for next season, but we're only going to take people that will be able to play the NEPL events (read: can afford it), practice weekly, are determined to win, play honorably, and gel with the rest of us. I don't care what your skill level is because that will improve over time.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM #12
brawnpb

brawnpb plays in the APPA D4 division
Team Skill Level: Novice next year
Team Type: 3-man/5-man
Where do you play: Playboyz Paintball, Friendly Fire
Played any tournaments: yea, all local stuff

I know that every weekend Red Storm and Playboyz and X-fire all play at Playboyz. They are all a great bunch of guys. They will let you walk on and play a game or two w/ some of the guys in between the 7-man rotation. The field is mostly rookies and some novice teams, so having those 3 teams there every weekend is a great oppurtunity to get some advice and just some idea of where you need to be at just by watching them.

The guys especially on the Playboyz Factory Team are always around to help you out w/ a gun question, a "what if" question, or just ask to watch you play and they have no problem putting in their 2cents. Alot of the teams a local player will just sneak under the radar and be asked to try out for one of those teams, just by showing up and playing a few times. Alot of great things happen at that field.

Mainly if you want to get help with your game, just ask. don't sit around waiting for them to come up to you. Be a pest if you have to. If you really want to get better, show some initiative and be the one asking to hop in on a rotation or asking if someone can watch you play. There's plenty of ballers in the world who are better than you...just ask
Old 11-14-2006, 12:16 PM #13
JLothrop

has been a member for 10 years
Your Age: 23
Team Skill level: (Rookie, Novice, etc...) Int.
Team Type: (3 man, 5 man, 7 man) 7 Man
Where do you play? I played at Playboyz last year.
Have you played any tournaments yet? Yes.

Alright, I'm not really sure where to start with this. I have SO many issues with the way that New England practices.....

First and foremost, there aren't a lot of "Top level" teams in New England. This is in the process of changing I think, but there is still a few more years worth of gap to deal with before it closes up. Part of the problem is the lack of money for paintball in New England, but that is neither here nor there.

The fields running organized rotations have the answer to the playing better teams question. That is the best way for bad teams to practice better teams without anyone sacraficing too much. I know at playboyz any team is welcome to get into the 7-man rotation as long as they give advanced notice, and actually show up. And there were several occasions where a bunch of rookie and/or novices players that would join in the rotation. This way no individual team is consistantly playing a bad team and getting a terrible practice. Everyone plays everyone. The good teams have other good teams to play and once in awhile has to play against a newer team, and the end result is generally a pretty good practice. The one team that gets screwed is the best team in the rotation, but generally (there are a couple exceptions) those teams aren't head and shoulders above the rest, so they are getting a good practice as well. This is the best answer you are going to get to this problem. At least as far as scrimmages are concerned. I'd like to see a few fields run organized drill practices where anyone who wants to come and run through individual drills can. I know GSP does that, and it's on a weekday.

I think there are greater issues in New England. First this is not a good practice: everyone buys a case of paint, and then when that runs out 4 or 5 games later you call it a day around 1PM maybe 2 PM. That is the reality of what is often considered a "practice." Drills are important, and it seems a large portion of New England doesn't realize that (yes, a lot of teams SAY they drill, but VERY few actually do, and even fewer do it consistantly).

However, my biggest issue with New England paintball is the attitude. At these practices there is A LOT of fighting, and screaming about wiping, playing on, or what have you. Teams are all out to beat each other, which doesn't sound that bad, but no one is willing to help the other guy out as a result. Everyone is so caught up in winning games at practices they forget that BOTH teams are there for a single common interest of learning and getting better. Yeah, you want to win, but don't lose sight of what practice is supposed to be. Oh and if someone trys to help you, listen, no one knows everything.

Both of these greater issues require a complete and utter change in the egos and attitudes of the majority of players in New England. I won't hold my breath........