PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM #1
whisper78
Chicago

brand new Ion... constant barrel breaks : (

I have been reintroduced and reintoxicated by the game of paintball from the times where the f2 illustrator was the dependable man's marker. So after tireless research I decided to pick up an Ion, realizing its greatness and potential. Unfortunately though, for some reason I keep having paint break in the barrel on the regular (which I've read is quite the opposite of what it should do).

I shot my first hopper of marbelizer paint off with everything stock and it worked like a dream. I then carefully installed the 360 qev (following all known precautions), found my dwell setting of 14 and set my recharge rate to 69 to fire 13 bps. I then fired off 2 hoppers of cheapo paint that was supposed to be good for tuning and experienced a fair amount of barrel breaks. I spoke w/ my local store and we both decided it was due to the cheapo paint.

I then went and played today, and actually chrono'd it for the first time and it came in at 310s for the most part. I brought it down to 290sh and hoped that that was the problem. The field supplied Rampage paint, and again my Ion was pretty much rendered useless due to continuous barrel breaks (note: it was raining on and off again throughout the day, but since the breaks happened b4, don't know how much that has to do w/ it). I then changed my battery and brought down the dwell to 12, and turned down the velocity again with the same problem.

I did notice however that when my hopper was almost empty it seemed to perform better (w/ out breaks) but that could just be coincidence. I did then read to check, clean, and replace my SFT o ring and so I did. All seems well. So I have no idea wtf is going on, and am kind of understandly upset / frustrated with my purchase that looked great on paper. Is there a chance that the 2 "nubs" that sit slighty kitty corner above the eyes are protruding too far and causing the breaks? I am at my wits end and need some advice. Hook a brother up with some knowledge please... thanks in advance,

Whisper

Last edited by whisper78 : 11-11-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2006, 09:40 PM #2
Rutteger
That Blue Guy

those two "nubs" are your ball detents, and the stock ones should (hypothetically) last for longer than the small amount of paint you shot through it. I would recommend replacing them anyways (try out some kila's)Were you firing with the eyes on or off?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 PM #3
whisper78
Chicago

Eyes were on, and they seemed to be working correctly. I tried firing without paint and it wouldnt shoot, turned em off and it shot.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:09 PM #4
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
So you are using the stock barrel I assume.

After eplacing the SFT O-ring, did you continue to experience barrel breaks?

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM #5
whisper78
Chicago

I am using the stock barrel. The SFT ring did not appear damaged in any way so I didn't replace it... not that I'm against replacing it, just do not have any on hand, and didn't see how to easily access it...
Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 PM #6
bunkerguy

Replace the SFT O-ring anyways along with getting some new detents. Kila has great detents.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 PM #7
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Well since cleaning it did you experience any more barrel breaks?

████████████████████████
Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 PM #8
whisper78
Chicago

well thats the thing. I need more paint and air to further test, but the SFT is in the shape it was from when I previously cleaned it. I basically fired off like three hoppers when I first got it then cleaned it, o ring checked it, then greased it. Then I went and played today and repeated the process and haven't fired it since. I live in Chicago and their ordinances make it kind of hard to test. But anyway like I said I think firing it now would simulate the same state it was in from when I originally cleaned it...
Old 11-11-2006, 10:36 PM #9
iceman2472

are you sure the paint isn't too big for your barrel?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:36 PM #10
Phoenixsc2
Killer.

Phoenixsc2 is a Supporting Member
What loader do you use? If you have a Halo, or some other force feed loader, try this:

Manually load paintballs into your feedneck, w/o the hopper on gun, slowly fire them off.

Now load a full hopper, turn it on, and fire slowly and rapidly.

If the paint breaks while using the hopper, but not by manual loading, your hopper setting is too strong or your detents are shot. I would recommend Kila detents if you pick up so aftermarket ones.

If paint breaks with both, raise your dwell.

"Originally posted by DyePaintballer2k11: Goddammit, I try to type coherently and with proper grammar for a while now, and I agree, what the **** did I say? I formally apologize. It's nofap December, ****s getting to me."
"Originally posted by d00d 1'm 4 h4Xz0r: It's December 1st :dodgy:"
"Originally posted by POHusKy9:
i havent looked at the date for over 2 weeks so in my mind when he said that i thought it was like december 7-14 or something
then i checked the date and rofl'ed top ramen everywhere"
Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 PM #11
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
The SFT Oring is really the only thing to tweak if it is a barrel break. Otherwise it is your paint. You did clean the breech and barrel well after the initial breaks correct.

████████████████████████
Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 PM #12
Phantom_yyz

1. replace most o rings
2. get a new battery
3. make sure detents are still good
4. make sure your paint is small enough to fit through the barrel
Old 11-11-2006, 10:59 PM #13
Phoenixsc2
Killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
The SFT Oring is really the only thing to tweak if it is a barrel break. Otherwise it is your paint. You did clean the breech and barrel well after the initial breaks correct.
Please explain the importance of the SFT O-ring after a barrel break? I never cleaned that thing in the year I had my Ion.

"Originally posted by DyePaintballer2k11: Goddammit, I try to type coherently and with proper grammar for a while now, and I agree, what the **** did I say? I formally apologize. It's nofap December, ****s getting to me."
i havent looked at the date for over 2 weeks so in my mind when he said that i thought it was like december 7-14 or something
Old 11-11-2006, 11:17 PM #14
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixsc2 View Post
Please explain the importance of the SFT O-ring after a barrel break? I never cleaned that thing in the year I had my Ion.

If the SFT O-ring is dirty or damaged it can cause a the ball to launch from the breech in an odd spin or off course causing barrel breaks.

████████████████████████
Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 PM #15
Phoenixsc2
Killer.

Isn't the bolt supposed to be covering the O-ring before the burst of air is released?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:33 PM #16
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Yes it is, if the O-ring is damaged it will cause problems with the forward movement of the bolt.

If it is dirty with debris or paint it can throw the forward moving paintball off and cause a break.

████████████████████████
Old 11-12-2006, 12:11 AM #17
whisper78
Chicago

Well... so I think the moral of the story is to change the SFT first, and then probably get some new detents as well and hope for the best. I'll probably get it all and test it out by next weekend. I'll test the SFT fix 1st before detents to try and narrow down the hopeful fix. I'll keep you all posted. And thanks to all for all the replies and advice. I appreciate it...
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 AM #18
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
For future reference, tune your marker with the paint you normally use. There is no good in getting +/-1 fps with paint you may never use again.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 PM #19
whisper78
Chicago

So I ordered some new o rings and some kila detents. I can't seem to find any info on how to replace the SFT oring and it doesn't seem to be the easiest oring to get at.

Also, in researching my problem I found that some people switch their sft oring down to 17 70 from the original 17 90 or file the front part down?

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:45 PM #20
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Best way to grab it out of their is with a dental pick.

████████████████████████
Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 PM #21
abu2go
FAU Owls

abu2go plays in the PSP
abu2go is an NCPA player
abu2go plays in the APPA D3 division
if there breaking in the barrel then it might be that u were unfortunate enough to get a stock barrel that had powder coating in it, when i got my ion there was a ton in there and i have to wash it out for like an hour with water and a squegie and a swab to get it all out. tons of black stuff came out and then after that it was ok so my advice is checkout the inside of your barrel to make sure u dont have any of that garbage in there

Florida Atlantic University Owls
Class A

"Originally posted by PhilMac: the pmr has no reg. is this a problem or no?