Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-21-2006, 05:02 PM #43
TRUCK_CMF
I'd hate me too

TRUCK_CMF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TRUCK_CMF supports Team VICIOUS
TRUCK_CMF supports DLX Technology
As a former standout athelte this game still gives me a chance to shine at a sport despite two destroyed knees.I cant wait till my kids are ready to play so they can see how great this game is.the game allows for change as my knees got worse it allowed my to be a just as good player despite the injuries just in a different way its made more of a leader and made me rely on my team more than just my athletic ability. when the 4.3 speed went away this game allowed me to use my mind more and learn how to control firefights better and ive gotten more respect from other players than ever before. i cant wait to teach my kids how strategy and patience almost always beats pure talent.
Russian sportsmanship award

Truck's current theme song "Too Late" by Wiz Khalifa
I'm a cut throat balla like O.J. Simpson
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 PM #44
Viper7
Head Trouble Maker..

has been a member for 10 years
Best of Times

I have been playing Paintball in the woods off and on since 89. But one of my biggest joys is sharing a sport that I love with my Stepson who was 13. Was just playing everyonce and awhile at a local field. To try something new went to Spring Castle Conquest at EMR. Had a huge amount of fun. Everyone was friendly and great sports. Then took a risk and brought my 11 year old daughter and my now 16 year old son to the Grenada game at EMR. After 2 days of playing and haveing to much fun the end of the game came. During the prize give Drawings the Capt from Pub Crawling call up my daughter to get the playiers pack that they gave away. Now that made my day. Then it went nuts. Both my kids got hoppers and MKX-8's to go with them. One of Ambush Alphas guys gave my son the MKX-8 and I think Joint Fury gave the other to my Daughter. All I could do is laugh think how great it was to be playing with my family and people that love this sport. Now for Xmas the Family wants season EMR passes. Thats it we are hooked.

Great fields + Great management + Great People and Teams = Best of Times.

Sorry to run on

HAT
WC Team Voodoo #70
West Coast Team Voodoo
VooDoo Paintball LLC
BT Olive TM7 #18
www.emrpaintball.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-V...18113204997679
Old 11-22-2006, 04:32 PM #45
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base

Annual Supporting Member
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
nope, both of our guys gave the guns. Rephy and Carroll i do believe. to bad i wanted to win one but oh well.. i really need to get my mags fixed or something.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 PM #46
Cilio-ThunderStruck

Quote:
The Professor331 asked:
What I would like to hear about is what the game means to YOU?
I have been, and still am, a competitive athlete. Paintball is a competitive sport to me. It is also the most interesting/exciting of sports IMO. It's an adrenaline rush. It's the feeling of floating, being on autopilot as you move and react to everything around you. It's like being inside a video game and actually living it. Big games/Scenarios are an endurance marathon in which I get to see how much I can possibly produce for the side I'm on, how much damage I can do to the other side and how I can improve from the time before. I get the opportunity to test my skills, endurance, mind and will against others. It's about challenging myself, it's about improvement. It's an opportunity to hunt and be hunted.

It is a chance to be part of a team and work with my teammates toward a common goal... each of us doing our part, doing what each of us does best, for the whole. It's the thrill of playing with people who know what you're thinking without saying it, who react when you react, who are there to back you up when you need it and you for them. It's a chance to play with people who I enjoy to be around.

And like all sports, it's about trying to WIN, not at the expense of honor but with Honor. It's about trying to become the BEST.
www.thunderstruckscenarioteam.com
Sponsored by: Smart Parts, Deadlywind, Archon

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”

Last edited by Cilio-ThunderStruck : 11-22-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:08 PM #47
dysfuncti0n
I'm Back

dysfuncti0n is a Supporting Member
I really like this post. I have had similar discussions with people before. I really like this sport for the reason that anyone can do it. I stopped playing during college and I missed it greatly. I even reffed a couple summers even though I could not afford to actually play. I got into the tourney scene a while back ago, and never really liked where it was going. 24hr games have always been my favorite. I am not harping on tourneys or tourney players, but at those events i experienced a lot of negativity and bad attitudes. At the big 24hr games however, it has always been exactly the opposite. I was always welcome just to go up and talk to any group of players, share stories, and whatnot (no matter what team or side). If I ever needed to borrow something I could almost always find it... tank, marker, barrel, etc., at the tourneys I saw numerous people spiking their $2000+ setups on the ground simply because they lost. I also noticed the tourney scene start to focus on how much paint you could shoot, and this disappointed me as well. And finally... what is better than 800 players playing in the same place at the same time.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:41 AM #48
Viper7
Head Trouble Maker..

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaintballer15 View Post
nope, both of our guys gave the guns. Rephy and Carroll i do believe. to bad i wanted to win one but oh well.. i really need to get my mags fixed or something.
Well Thanks.. Was laughing to much and was very touched by what was going on. All the teams at EMR are Tops in my book.

Thanks

Hat
WC Team Voodoo #70
West Coast Team Voodoo
VooDoo Paintball LLC
BT Olive TM7 #18
www.emrpaintball.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-V...18113204997679
Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 PM #49
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

I have a funny story from last weeks Grand Finale at Ocala.

At one point during the game, our force had been fighting well and had pushed the blue team nearly back to their base when they unleashed 3 tanks and a bunch of infantry. Since were were out of LAWs and had no means by which to knock out the tanks, we fought a fighting withdrawl to buy time and hopefully slow them down a bit.

At this point there is this kid next to me, maybe 9 or 10 or so that looks at me with these WIDE eyes saying "what do we do, what do we do!" I turned to him and said, OK I need you to do something really important, run as fast as you can back to HQ and let them know what's going on and have them send some anti-tank guys" He stopped, repeated the message and was gone in a flash. A few minutes later as we were running out of room, he showed up again with 2 LAws and we blasted the other team.

After the game I ran into his friends, all of whom were about the same age and their chaperone. When I told them of what the kid had done, they really treated him well which elevated his sense of confidence into a new level. Appearantly he was one of the shy kids, but after the game, no doubt, he's reached a whole new level of confidence.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 PM #50
BarneyNY
I'm the Purple guy!

Annual Supporting Member
BarneyNY is a Supporting Member
BarneyNY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor331 View Post
I have a funny story from last weeks Grand Finale at Ocala.

At one point during the game, our force had been fighting well and had pushed the blue team nearly back to their base when they unleashed 3 tanks and a bunch of infantry. Since were were out of LAWs and had no means by which to knock out the tanks, we fought a fighting withdrawl to buy time and hopefully slow them down a bit.

At this point there is this kid next to me, maybe 9 or 10 or so that looks at me with these WIDE eyes saying "what do we do, what do we do!" I turned to him and said, OK I need you to do something really important, run as fast as you can back to HQ and let them know what's going on and have them send some anti-tank guys" He stopped, repeated the message and was gone in a flash. A few minutes later as we were running out of room, he showed up again with 2 LAws and we blasted the other team.

After the game I ran into his friends, all of whom were about the same age and their chaperone. When I told them of what the kid had done, they really treated him well which elevated his sense of confidence into a new level. Appearantly he was one of the shy kids, but after the game, no doubt, he's reached a whole new level of confidence.
That's a great story. I like to think I didn't die for anything. 1st tank missed me but the 2nd one got me.
WestPoint 2005 Battle of Bastogne MVT (RT Raiders); 2006 Spring Game VC - MVP; 2008 Battle of Bulge German - Co-MVP; Skirmish 2007 Staligrad Russian - MVP; HiVi 2008 Death Before Dishonor - Sportsmanship; StrategyPlus 2009 WOA - Co-MVP; 2010 Legion - MoFo; 2011 Russian Front - Russian MVP; 2012 Quickshot - Divided Front - MVP; EMR 2013 March Meltdown - MVP
www.bluescrewtv.com; www.emrpaintball.com; www.cousinspaintball.com; www.paintballsportsny.com

Last edited by BarneyNY : 12-12-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:48 PM #51
shadawg
am i evil...yes i am

shadawg donated to help Peyton Trent
shadawg has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not only is it a great story, but what you did for that Hamster is teach him , instead of using him for canon fodder. Others people doing this kind of thing is only going to help grow this sport for the next generation
Kudos!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 PM #52
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
he will forever look up to u professor.. or atleast i hope, and sure others do. Maybe try and be like u... but i dunno if thats possible

still say the way u led through fort worr was the ultimate strategy, and best general role ive seen and even heard of. Just out of nowhere u stood up just like here, thought smart and tried not to make it a short time massacre but a extended stand off to come back with a massive hit on them. Professor for President!

shall we start the castle countdown now?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 PM #53
general rob
Hell Katz

Annual Supporting Member
Its about time we have a thread going on this subject!!!!!

Its simple, i enjoy the sport and i am an addict of it.
I play all paintball games,day play, scenerio, speedball all for fun.
I cant beging to tell you how it makes me feel to intruduce this sport to a new player or team. When you are kind and polite to new members its infectios and spreads.
My team mates and i prefer scenerio, roll playing.
it is our goal to play at as many of the fields as we can and as many scenerio games as possible.
I have played since 1985, scenerios since the first one at skirmish in 1992.
This game keeps me close to my friends and to my kids.
I have played every and all roles and aspects of this game and still cant get enouph.
I hope to play against and on the same side with as many scenerio teams as i can.
and what other sport has such cool team names???????
Sponsors-nothing wrong with it, we picked one and thats it. we have turned down many offers, we dont want to become sponsor whores .
well thats my little 2 cents
Thanks , and i do enjoy reading all of these posts about other teams and players.
And maybee some day if we try real hard we can all be Just like Barney(level 5 player!!!)LOL
Rob
Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 PM #54
paintballsquared

Thats funny you say addicted to paintball.

I have also been playing for 14 years, and I have tried to walk away multiple times.

I was just introduced to scenario about 4 years ago and I suppose I might as well give up ever trying to walk away now. :-)

Anyways

Meeting people, shooting people, adrenline rush (several instances in one day typically), meeting people, real life fantasy, shooting people, and finally shooting people. That's why I love it so much.

Last edited by paintballsquared : 12-12-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM #55
DanteCarberelo
The Short Guy

DanteCarberelo is a Supporting Member
As stated many times in this thread so far, You guys are why i love this sport.

With that out of the way, I have a few things to say, and a few stories to tell.

First of all, Sponsorships. I really envy those who have semi decent sponsorships so they can attend 5-12 games a year. I really really envy these guys. You see, i love scenarios like mad. I wish i could go to one every weekend, or one a month. But the cost is pretty steep for me (19 years old, Starting college soon with no scholarships or government aid [damned middle middle class] trying to find a bartending job as well). So really, i wish i could find a small company that wouldnt mind shelling out a few hundred bucks so me and a few friends could attend some games. Ive also been looking for teams that wouldnt mind picking up a fearless 19 year old speedballer/scenarioballer with great gear. Talked to my doctor today (family doc) and he seemed interested in sponsoring a small team, he told me to talk to em at the begining of next year (since they do their sponsorships for stuff early in the year). So im stoked.

Anyhow, Onto the scenario ball.
I love it, what can i say, Its a blast. Ive attended some 4 or 5 over the years ive played, and i dont remember who won really, Why? Because they are fun none the less. Nothing brightens my day more then getting a guy out, then getting shot out, then walking up to the guy and telling him "Great shooting" then maybe help the guy work on arching his gun a little more, or his movement that disadvantaged him. Not to sound like the know it all, but to help someone have a little more fun playing. Really, Its a wonderfull sport, And i cant quite get it across with these spur of the moment words. You guys are amazing, Please keep up this frame of mind, Its what i fell in love with with the sport.

Speedball. I play it, but just because i do love the adrenaline and fast paced game. Besides, Showing up, patting everyone on the back after they kicked our ***** or whatever is great. You dont know how many times ive had kids look at me with a deep sense of admiration when i tell em good game (them having cussed us out on the field and stuff). Its a game, no matter what iteration you play. i play for the love of the game, not to cheat to win, etc.

Persona: I totaly agree with Y'all. Im a short, scrawny, nerdy white kid (well average). But when on the field, as soon as i put that mask on, I turn into an entirely different person. Im still the light hearted humorfull guy on and off the field. But i lose some of my fears, or worries. Paintball is a sort of zen, Meditation per say.

Funny/Cool stories: At this recent game i went to (Texas Throwdown). I walked down the tapeline at about 10-15 greeks (i was a trojan, Sarpedon to be exact). By myself (or so i thought). Just walking at their guns, Firing mine. Nothing seemed to want to break on me. It was like i was a spartan (Whoot go 300) or something. IT was a blast. When a lucky ball got a good spin and hit the side of my pack, i finaly got out. I turned and started walking back to my IP, When i turned, I almost fell off my feet. I got blindsided by a sight i never thought id see. Right there beside me, (when i had previously thought i was alone, my team were sissies i guess) was a 10 year old little girl with a rented tippman, She took my place and was just advancing twards them firing. She got hit and ran up to me and gave me a high five (to my unsespecting hand) I looked at her surprised. And she said "Hey, Thanks, I thought everyone on this team were a bunch of little girls." My response was simple "If they were, We all woulda been walking up. Girl, your awesome". she giggled and chated with me walking back to the IP. I was so flabbergasted by this, That the image sticks with me to this day. So really, Its a sport for everyone. I like to think of people as people. We are all part of the same "hunting party" are we not, deep down inside? Its great to see everyone in a large game not caring who shot them (well, most of them.) Etc.

Something that made my day:. Chattin with my ladie friend the other day, i was just talking about the fun i had at the throwdown (i had invited her, but she had finals, so it was a no go for her). She told me "Would you take me out and teach me how to play paintball some time. Id really love to get into it, It sounds like fun, and we could spend more time together". It really made my day, It made me think i have a chance to get more people into the sport i love, people i know would treat it like i do.

In short.
1) I love the sport, wish i could get sponsored/find a grand bunch of people to run with (i love teamwork).

2) It really is a great game, Who cares what you look like under that mask.

3) Even 10 year old girls can play without fear.

4) I love you guys

for this thread.

By the way professor. If you are ever playing a game in texas, PM me. Id love to meet up with you, and run with you. You sound like a guy after my own heart.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 PM #56
PromasterOwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromasterOwnage View Post
ill get your silly tank at stalingrad three squadbusters allllll for you
then
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromasterOwnage View Post
grr.... stupid tank your lucky i had no grenades..... i only had a flag
WHAT?? i posted those (if i remember correctly) 3-4 weeks ago a few days after berlin?!?! how did they ge here??
odd i think ill change my password now

commie n00bnugget
-Stark
Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 AM #57
njhusker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilio-ThunderStruck View Post
...And like all sports, it's about trying to WIN, not at the expense of honor but with Honor. It's about trying to become the BEST.
Dave... That is EXACTLY how I feel and EXACTLY why I started a team instead of joined one. I wanted to control the guys I ran with and teach them that honor is all that matters. Win, Loose, Draw if you do not have your honor then it was a waste of time and money in my view.

Finally, the most important part of this sport (for me that is) is my relationship with my son Brandon. We run every weekend we can together on the fields and it has really brought us closer together than I ever thought possible. He is a great kid and a terrific leader/player. I hope one day he can share this kind of thing with his kids. I have made many friends playing this game and I hope to make many more but nothing will ever outshine the feeling I get when I see my son shooting that guy that just bunkered me...LOL
Fight every battle as if it were your last...either way all your troubles will be over.
Farewell friends...... It was a GREAT ride while it lasted

Last edited by njhusker : 12-13-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM #58
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCarberelo View Post

By the way professor. If you are ever playing a game in texas, PM me. Id love to meet up with you, and run with you. You sound like a guy after my own heart.
DanteCarberelo, I'd certainly accept the invite on that. I'm originally an Oklahoman! Good people in that part of the country.

These recent posts have been excellent. From Dante's story of the 10 year old girl taking on the greeks, to njhusker's teaching his son to bunker, Generalrob's admiration for Barney (which is true 'cause he's the best out there), and Paintballer15 (who by the way has developed into one heck of a good player this year). I thnk Shadawg may have said it best that by teaching our game to new players (and veteran) we extend it through to the next generation.

What all of this is about of course is that the game has helped us find our selves. Maybe some of our talents have been dormant and in need of a proper environment in which to develop, or maybe in need of the right mentor to bring them into the light.

A lot of you have said that you become a different person when the mask is put on. Fears become less so, confidence increases. In a way, we become a bit superhuman. One of my favorite observations is to see players beat their fears of snakes and spiders (ocala) by crawling through the most disgusting muck you can imagine. ordinarily, they would not be the type to do so, but when the paintball mask is put on, they become the first to crawl right along with the snakes.

Really, what better rite of passage is there?

Also, here's a thought... how many of us have used our paintball personas in the non-paintball world?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:37 PM #59
DanteCarberelo
The Short Guy

DanteCarberelo is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Also, here's a thought... how many of us have used our paintball personas in the non-paintball world?
Very true. Back before i started playing i was a quiet guy who shunned away from arguments and stuff. I played paintball, and began to believe it was possible to stand up for myself no matter the odds.

Since that day, i have become a state champion Cross-Examination Debater, and a National Qualifier (albeit, id like to say champion, but my school wouldnt let us go).

I think paintball helped make me who i am.

Its some pretty cool stuff
Old 12-13-2006, 04:04 PM #60
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
they only crawl with the snakes and spiders bc they are now Rambo Extreme when the mask comes on

when i put that mask on its no fear, all or nothing. And u know how that is, exhausting myself out like at fort. At saints game i ran i think a longer distance in that event then i did walking a full year during school

I think im gonna cry, someone saying something good about me. Just wait for next season, the beast will be back. And fatter then ever!!! wooot, cant wait to bust out the fat suits
Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 PM #61
BarneyNY
I'm the Purple guy!

Annual Supporting Member
BarneyNY is a Supporting Member
BarneyNY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Man those were some HUGE Spyders down at Ocala. And thank you Rob.

I remember when I was hit and walking back to the insertion point. That a kid (I think it was Custom21) was out of paint but wasn't out. I handed him a pod and you can see his eyes light up. Run back into the thick of it.
WestPoint 2005 Battle of Bastogne MVT (RT Raiders); 2006 Spring Game VC - MVP; 2008 Battle of Bulge German - Co-MVP; Skirmish 2007 Staligrad Russian - MVP; HiVi 2008 Death Before Dishonor - Sportsmanship; StrategyPlus 2009 WOA - Co-MVP; 2010 Legion - MoFo; 2011 Russian Front - Russian MVP; 2012 Quickshot - Divided Front - MVP; EMR 2013 March Meltdown - MVP
www.bluescrewtv.com; www.emrpaintball.com; www.cousinspaintball.com; www.paintballsportsny.com
Old 12-13-2006, 06:17 PM #62
jrock0910
Old School Twists

jrock0910 is a Supporting Member
jrock0910 supports Bob Gurnsey
jrock0910 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yea he still thinks your wide guy to barney he is still walking around talking about hot nice wide guy was for lending him paint

not that Joe isnt a hell of a nice Guy

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members

:To Quote Former President Thomas Jefferson: "If any state in the Union will declare that it prefers separation...to a continuance in union... I have no hesitation in saying, 'let us separate
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM #63
8-Ball

Professor,

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilio-ThunderStruck View Post
I have been, and still am, a competitive athlete. Paintball is a competitive sport to me. It is also the most interesting/exciting of sports IMO. It's an adrenaline rush. It's the feeling of floating, being on autopilot as you move and react to everything around you. It's like being inside a video game and actually living it. Big games/Scenarios are an endurance marathon in which I get to see how much I can possibly produce for the side I'm on, how much damage I can do to the other side and how I can improve from the time before. I get the opportunity to test my skills, endurance, mind and will against others. It's about challenging myself, it's about improvement. It's an opportunity to hunt and be hunted.

It is a chance to be part of a team and work with my teammates toward a common goal... each of us doing our part, doing what each of us does best, for the whole. It's the thrill of playing with people who know what you're thinking without saying it, who react when you react, who are there to back you up when you need it and you for them. It's a chance to play with people who I enjoy to be around.

And like all sports, it's about trying to WIN, not at the expense of honor but with Honor. It's about trying to become the BEST.
Dave,
I could not have said it better myself. This is exactly the mindset I have about the game as well, no matter whether it is Scenario, rec or competitive paintball it's about doing the best I can with Honor and Sportsmanship.

All I would add is that I can think of only one other place where I can challenge myself and still share the comaraderie before and afterwards like we can in paintball. And that would be duck hunting on public refuges, though it doesn't compare considering Duck Season only lasts for three months, the hunt is dependent on several factors such as the weather, the availibility of the game among others. Paintball is just a much richer TRE (target rich environment), the activity much more faster paced, much more adrenaline filled, and the "season" year round.

To answer one of the questions on topic of "How I got into paintball":
My now So in Law asked me to go play when he first began dating my daughter. Now considering I was less than assured of his intent with my daughter you can probably imagine my eagerness at the opportunity to hunt and then shoot this young lad. I can still hear the echos from my daughter when he asked me to go play that first time..."ARE YOU CRAZY? You want to give my Dad a gun!" LMAO Three "safeties" and a good dose of plugging this kid out in the woods and I was definitely addicted. We soon attended our first Scenario together 5-6 years ago and the rest is all history from there.

The friends I have made are lifelong, the memories alone are worth every dime I spend on this sport and the travel I endure to play. Seeing players who "respect the game" and the values like Honor and Sportsmanship are what separates Paintball from everything else.