PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM #22
stoudty33
paintin' faces since 1997

I agree with you KJJM4, and for some people they will cheat to win and be bad sports about losing. I myself will never cheat or be upset that i didnt win but thats just me other will act differently. I play to win at all costs to but to a different extent... if a mission calls for a suicide mission, ill do it just to attempt it, thats what i mean when i say i try to win at all costs, but i do agree with you, not everyone plays fairly.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 PM #23
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Great feedback guys. This is the kind of stuff I'd like to hear about.

JesterTLS: I fully agree with you that sponsorship is such a great thing in the sense that it helps cover a good amout of the expense realated to the game. The team I'm on has been very fortunate to have some companies who stand behind us. so having said that, my post is not so much about spononsorships as it is about what KJJM4 said as the possible change in our competitive nature. I think the last thing many of us want to see is a change from being supportive and congradulatory to cut-throat.

MIC 49: I really liked to hear your story. Our culture today lacks opportunities for fathers especially to bond with their kids. Think of the memories you have of the time you spent with you dad. Priceless. Your sons will also come to remember the time with you and it will be among the strongest memories of their vital childhood years.

I recall a moment at this past Normandy game at Skirmish. I was in full on game mode, crawling through slime having just lead some walk-ons on a flanking maneuver through a creek. there in the middle of a fire fight hunkered down in all this muck was a father and son. I stepped out of game-mode for a moment and just observed the pair. The boy, who was about 10 was laughing and giggling as his dad was joking about their situation as the paintballs wizzed over their heads. I crawled up to them and have a good conversation. Here is what the father said "This game is about our only opportunity to spend time together, and what better way to spend it than like this." The kid laughed again and said something like "yeah, this is SICK!"

That kind of moment is what the game means to so many.

Arh: Well put! You are exactly correct. when the gear and masks go on, we take on different personas. We become who ever we wish to be or in many cases, we allow a different part of our soul to rise to the surface. I like to think of a dormant warrior spirit who has no place in our 'civilized society' can at last come forth and rage. In this moment too, as you very eloquently stated, we are all equal regardless of age, gender, or physical ability.

Stoudty33: Brother, I know you and I know your competitive nature. You and I are much alike in that sense. (btw you are not alone in your dedication to staying in shape) I live at the gym so I can perform better on the field. Maybe a quesiton to ask yourself is this: what feeling do you get when you win? what did it do for you to lead the team on the day that you earned the MVT this at the Viper game? in those thoughts, you will find your reason for playing.

To all, please continue, I really enjoy hearing your stories.

Professor
Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM #24
kjjm4
Liberty or Death

kjjm4 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Going all out to win is great. I've run myself to the point that I was in such a daze from the heat and dehydration I barely knew where I was at at the awards ceremony. I beat myself up like that because I love the game, and I play it as hard (sometimes harder) as I'm physically able to. Guys who play hard because they love the sport are what makes scenario games and recreational games in general my favorite type of paintball. The attitude I don't want to see is a "there's no money in it, so why bother?" sort of thing.

I'm not against sponsorships for free gear and/or discounts, entry fees, and stuff like that. A big team that does a ton of events is hard to support and I realize that. What I'd hate to see is the type of things that go on in the upper level of tournament play, where guys make "business" decisions regarding which team they play on, leaving their friends behind to get a better deal with another team, and where cheating is a way of life for some players, because "everybody does it." I honestly wouldn't mind more attention from the major paintball corporations, as long as it doesn't change the way we view the game and how we play it.
ďA strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 PM #25
stoudty33
paintin' faces since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor331 View Post
Maybe a quesiton to ask yourself is this: what feeling do you get when you win? what did it do for you to lead the team on the day that you earned the MVT this at the Viper game? in those thoughts, you will find your reason for playing.
Ahh, i left out the main part! For me, it comes down to what most feel when they win, the utmost jubilation!!! It makes ya feel good knowing you gave 110% that day on the field outflanking and out maneuvering the opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm4 View Post
Going all out to win is great. I've run myself to the point that I was in such a daze from the heat and dehydration I barely knew where I was at at the awards ceremony. I beat myself up like that because I love the game, and I play it as hard (sometimes harder) as I'm physically able to. Guys who play hard because they love the sport are what makes scenario games and recreational games in general my favorite type of paintball. The attitude I don't want to see is a "there's no money in it, so why bother?" sort of thing.
QFT man!! I hear ya all the way on running yourself into a daze, ive been there! lol
Old 11-02-2006, 03:07 PM #26
shadowlord06
The Hobbit

shadowlord06 supports Team VICIOUS
shadowlord06 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
shadowlord06 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
shadowlord06 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
shadowlord06 supports Empire
Well I got into paintball with friends. Eventually I got sick of outlaw and started looking for a team located nearby. Well this past summer i found one. The Band of Brothers scenario team located just a an hour or two away. I joined and since have decide that I will always be in the woods hunting down the opfor. Though I may venture to the speed fields to try my hand at that. I love the woods and how games play out there. My feelings on sponsors is that if a company things that you can help them out and in return they help you GREAT! Just as long as you still Play fair and to have fun it des not matter. Personally I hope that soon BoB will get a large sponsor. Though i know I will still play for the fun of the game and to win but keep it fun is all that matters.

Also I agree with what stoudty33 said. i will do anything to win. that is aslong as it does not and will not ruin the game for someone else. I will make a suicide charge to win, but will not wipe a hit to succeed.

Last edited by shadowlord06 : 11-02-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM #27
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord06 View Post
Well I got into paintball with friends. Eventually I got sick of outlaw and started looking for a team located nearby. Well this past summer i found one. The Band of Brothers scenario team located just a an hour or two away. I joined and since have decide that I will always be in the woods hunting down the opfor. Though I may venture to the speed fields to try my hand at that. I love the woods and how games play out there. My feelings on sponsors is that if a company things that you can help them out and in return they help you GREAT! Just as long as you still Play fair and to have fun it des not matter. Personally I hope that soon BoB will get a large sponsor. Though i know I will still play for the fun of the game and to win but keep it fun is all that matters.

Also I agree with what stoudty33 said. i will do anything to win. that is aslong as it does not and will not ruin the game for someone else. I will make a suicide charge to win, but will not wipe a hit to succeed.
Shadowlord: I couldn't agree with you more. winning is more enjoyable and worthy when done with the honesty of hard play rather than by cheating. I could never understand the mindset of a player who felt that he/she needed to wipe in order to win. This is paintball afterall, if you get hit, you walk off and get re-inserted in a few minutes anyhow.

Woodsball will always be my favorite kind of field. Few things are more fun than hunting people in the woods. hehehe
Old 11-02-2006, 03:48 PM #28
small-talk-noob

small-talk-noob helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlackAngel View Post
I personally Very much enjoy shooting down Commies
who doesnt?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 PM #29
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base

Annual Supporting Member
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
not sure what to say. Playing paintball for going on 7 years now.. i feel liks such a old fart yet im not

First year actually playing big games and scenario's and i must say that its the best. Its actually made me not like speedball and tournament play as much. But scenario is a combination which is why i think i love it so much. You get to be someone, do special things (i was a medic at Extravaganza even though only 2 people called for one all day). And yet u still have speedball at times put into play along with it, and i must say final battle from Viper Operation Urgent Fury must have been the best time ive ever had involved with paintball. Rental A5, a case of paint later and 2 fills and god only knows how many eliminations i had.. coming out victorious by a pretty massive # was great. And then of course the MVT on top of that

But also i had a blast at Fort Worr, probably 2nd best time ive ever had playing. And you know some of the reasons there professor , and that i tried to give it all i had.. especially with a pimp that was working to maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 of its ability.

Im not much of a social person, and i havn't done much of the "hanging" out after games, but then again.. im not a drunken monkey like some of u guys haha... anyways... but just being at events like that, the atmosphere, dedication and respect that most bring to the table is by far one of the best things about it. I'm proud just to be part of something like that.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 PM #30
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

Hunting people in the woods + mad props

e.g.

Scenarioball

Agreed on the cheaters/wipers. If I see a friendly do it, I give them h3ll. If I see an OPFOR do it, I shoot them again. Problem momentarily solved.

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
The thing that makes a man into a professional is the software.
"Here is my personal advice; be a man. Don't come down here expecting **** for free, don't feel it is your right to be treated well, and exercise some freaking integrity."
TSgt B. Murray
Old 11-02-2006, 05:31 PM #31
Eir_Ragnarok
Stellar.

Im a 16 year old girl, and I play on the same team as my father.

My dad used to play when he was younger, then quit when my sister and I were born. He got back into it and played a game with a few friends when I was 12. He gradually got me into it and I played my first game, DDay at Skirmish a few years ago with him and his friends.

About a year and a half ago we got his friend into coming up with us. We were starting to form a team with a bunch of our friends. We went up to Stalingrad, got disgusted carrying barrels with multiple feet of snow, and started doing base security to relax a while. The rest is history. We found out we're good at security, and were asked to take control of it at the next DDay, we are forever grateful to General Mark for giving us that opportunity, it was what got our team on their feet.

Im 16 now. Still playing, and LOVING it. Like, more then I ever thought I would. I literally think about it almost every second every day, trying to come up with things to help my team or to do during the game, etc. Our team is now pretty popular and has gained a lot of members.

I think playing scenario paintball is EXTREMELY important, especially to kids, and even more so for female kids. Its empowering. I now have dozens of friends that I am completely honored to know, and would give anything for. Some of the most honorable people play this sport, and they know how to make people feel included and special. And that what things like this are about, meeting people, being a part of something great, and having a kick-*** time!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM #32
shadawg
am i evil...yes i am

shadawg donated to help Peyton Trent
shadawg has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
what she said, from a guys perspective, although I play with her dad, he's not my dad.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 PM #33
Kannyn CMF
It's pronounced "KAN-NIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
what she said, from a guys perspective, although I play with her dad, he's not my dad.
"Who is your daddy and what does he do?"

Sorry couldn't help myself.

To know about the Giggle Loop...is to become part OF the Giggle Loop.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM #34
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eir_Ragnarok View Post
Im a 16 year old girl, and I play on the same team as my father.
I think playing scenario paintball is EXTREMELY important, especially to kids, and even more so for female kids. Its empowering. I now have dozens of friends that I am completely honored to know, and would give anything for. Some of the most honorable people play this sport, and they know how to make people feel included and special. And that what things like this are about, meeting people, being a part of something great, and having a kick-*** time!!!
Eir-Ragnorok: You make an excellent example here. It's not just a male sport, it's open to everyone. I know a great deal of kick-*** players out there who are females. They are hard as nails and give no quarter on the field.

Attila the Hun was increadibly successful at taking on both the powers of Rome and of Barbarian Europe because he believed in the philosphy that an army made up of many peoples with different skills offered him the greatest advantages over his opponents.

Off the battlefield and on to the paintball field, this strategy is also sound. A team with male and female players offers more advantages than a team of all guys or all girls.

I like the fact that your dad got you into the game and returned to the playing field with you. Just think of the cool memories you are making right now. Most importantly, think of how close you are as a result of spending this time together. Not many 16 year olds have that kind of relationship with their fathers.

Keep it up!
Old 11-03-2006, 03:39 PM #35
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

Being a girl/woman helps a lot. Judges treat my mom special. At SG she got a gog shot (first time playing) and asked a judge if it was bad; he wiped it off and said no. Having "Heimdall's Mommy" written in her (my stolen) shirt helps too. Cause nobody wants to shoot a mommy!

And Karen (skirmish's #1 lady ) loves having her at the field; even runs her down for photos every game.

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
"Here is my personal advice; be a man. Don't come down here expecting **** for free, don't feel it is your right to be treated well, and exercise some freaking integrity."
TSgt B. Murray
Old 11-03-2006, 04:03 PM #36
mariol
aka 'Da Pope'

mariol owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkc View Post
Being a girl/woman helps a lot. Judges treat my mom special. At SG she got a gog shot (first time playing) and asked a judge if it was bad; he wiped it off and said no. Having "Heimdall's Mommy" written in her (my stolen) shirt helps too. Cause nobody wants to shoot a mommy!

And Karen (skirmish's #1 lady ) loves having her at the field; even runs her down for photos every game.
WOW..... I hope Karen doesn't hurt your Mom. It's not nice to run people down!

WHOSE YOUR POPE?
YETTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIII!/Team Douche Bag
RTM Contract player
Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM #37
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

lol, my mom can take care of herself. If not alone, she has me, sean, and my dad to handle any problems she has.

TO ALL ON PBNATION!:
God help you if you overshoot my mommy

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
TSgt B. Murray
Old 11-03-2006, 04:30 PM #38
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannyn CMF View Post
"Who is your daddy and what does he do?"

Sorry couldn't help myself.
now this is something i must say, since im the best i know of around here with the arnold impersonations. Im famous on Xbox live bc of it
Old 11-03-2006, 04:33 PM #39
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor331 View Post
Eir-Ragnorok: You make an excellent example here. It's not just a male sport, it's open to everyone. I know a great deal of kick-*** players out there who are females. They are hard as nails and give no quarter on the field.

Attila the Hun was increadibly successful at taking on both the powers of Rome and of Barbarian Europe because he believed in the philosphy that an army made up of many peoples with different skills offered him the greatest advantages over his opponents.

Off the battlefield and on to the paintball field, this strategy is also sound. A team with male and female players offers more advantages than a team of all guys or all girls.

I like the fact that your dad got you into the game and returned to the playing field with you. Just think of the cool memories you are making right now. Most importantly, think of how close you are as a result of spending this time together. Not many 16 year olds have that kind of relationship with their fathers.

Keep it up!

And as always.. the prof. is always right . heck im gettin close to 19, and i dont have much of a relationship with my family, and never really have. If my dad wasnt a smoker though im sure he'd be out on the field in his hunting camo's and using my A5

glad your father got you hooked on the sport, now u just need to come visit the EMR family we love new people to come join us.. but problem is getting them to leave since everyone keeps coming back for EMR's top notch environment and events...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:14 PM #40
P8ntWizzard

Scenario's and woodsball are the life blood of the sport. Check the numbers.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 PM #41
bruno v
Reservoir Dogs

Why I love scenario PB

All of you who have written in this thread are why I love scenario PB. My son got me into the sport; he went to a friend’s rec PB birthday party and fell in love with the sport. On his next birthday he wanted a PB party and I joined the game with the kids and got hooked. That was 4 years ago.
I met the founder of a PB club at a rec game about a year ago I was impressed by his knowledge of the game and his sportsmanship about 3/4 of the way through the day I asked what it took to join the club. He replied that I already passed the test; I said what test he said that I played fair and was not a hot head. (The only time I get mad on the field is when I see people cheating or just being jerks I'm just glad he didn't see me mad cause I do have a loud mouth) my son and I have been playing with the club ever since. The only award I ever received was for sportsmanship in the first scenario game I played and if it is the only award I win that’s fine with me.
My son who's 14 and I go to as many games as I can afford and if you think paying for PB is expensive try paying for two, but it is well worth it, the relationship I have with my son is envied by most of my friends and PB has a lot to do with it.
When people ask me why I play I tell them where is no feeling like the rush I get hunting people who are hunting me. But the best part is the people I have met and have yet to meet. You are all a great bunch of people and have never seen this kind sportsmanship in any other sport.

papaintballer15 I smoke I'm over weight and am over 50 tell your dad to come out and play this game is for everybody.

Valken * Quickshot * Gog/Luxe * Guerrilla Air * TechT * Xtreme Dreamz * Fog Doc* Deadlywind
Media partners
Help keep Paintball Alive * CatShack Reports *

Last edited by bruno v : 11-10-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM #42
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno v View Post

I smoke I'm over weight and am over 50 tell your dad to come out and play this game is for everybody.
Great post Bruno v. I couldn't agree with you more. I got my dad to play a few times over the years. I've always known the old man to be athletic and highly competitive, so I figured introducing him to the game would be a good idea. What I've noticed though was that he got the biggest thrill from just playing alongside his sons.

From all of these stories so far, it rings true that fathers feel the importance and need to spend time alongside sons and daughters as much as we need to spend time with them.

Thanks for the post bruno.