"Scenario" does not equal "tournament" - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 PM #1
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios
 
ViperScenarios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
"Scenario" does not equal "tournament"

I hear alot of people (usually new to scenario) ask about them and ask when the next "tournament" is. This is due to the fact that, with most sports, an organized "event" is usually some sort of "tournament" be it golf, pool, tennis, horseshoes, etc.

Scenario and tournament are two completely different things, even though both involve paintball.

Sorta like calling a "demolition derby" a "race" because it has cars.

Not trying to be picky...I just try hard to educate folks due to the fact that when you say "tournament" people think speedball like they see on ESPN and they are afraid to come out, thinking that is what it's like. Scenario is a lot more "newbie-friendly" as well as being a great type of paintball for women and kids.

Help get more folks involved in scenario. If you hear someone referring to a scenario game as a "tournament" try to, politely, enlighten them.
__________________
Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
Event Director: Viper Paintball
www.viperpaintball.com
ViperScenarios is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM #2
Specialist Berger
5 Years in the Making
 
Specialist Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Branford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
I hear alot of people (usually new to scenario) ask about them and ask when the next "tournament" is. This is due to the fact that, with most sports, an organized "event" is usually some sort of "tournament" be it golf, pool, tennis, horseshoes, etc.

Scenario and tournament are two completely different things, even though both involve paintball.

Sorta like calling a "demolition derby" a "race" because it has cars.

Not trying to be picky...I just try hard to educate folks due to the fact that when you say "tournament" people think speedball like they see on ESPN and they are afraid to come out, thinking that is what it's like. Scenario is a lot more "newbie-friendly" as well as being a great type of paintball for women and kids.

Help get more folks involved in scenario. If you hear someone referring to a scenario game as a "tournament" try to, politely, enlighten them.

my co-worker asks how my "tournaments" went, i stoped correcting her. but i think its easier for non players to think of it as a tournament rather than a big game.

Also with leagues like the SPPL and others, scenario ball is seeing a more competitive tournie approach. Im not saying SPPL is a scenario lets not start that arguement.

But I agree people think all paintball is either woods recball or speedball. Most don't know about scenarios which is why its nice to see magazines start covering scenarios again.
__________________
The Connecticut Commandos - Watch Your ***....
SURPRISE!!!!!
Sponsored By-Alien Paintball Markers-P&L Paintball-Valken

WTB Old Alien Markers, PM
Specialist Berger is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 PM #3
Capt. Malone
WANT SOME? COME GET SOME!
 
Capt. Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: At Strategy Plus
Capt. Malone is a Supporting Member
I agree, Scenarios are alot more work!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
__________________
CAPTAIN MALONE
Captain/Founder-TEAM EXTREME MEASURES
OUR HOME-Strategy Plus Paintball
Capt. Malone is offline  
Old 12-14-2006, 06:40 AM #4
Cook007
Small But Mighty
 
Cook007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Malone View Post
I agree, Scenarios are alot more work!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ROFLMAO THEN GOING TO SLEEP TO GET READY TO WORK ANOTHER SCENARIO.


LT
Cook007 is offline  
Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 AM #5
Meph
 
 
Meph's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Meph is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Not that I disagree, but appeasement is just so much easier. People know what a tournament is even if they have no idea what paintball is. You nicely correct them and say "It's not a tournament, it's a Scenario" and that's a half hour of my life I won't be getting back. Guaranteed.
__________________
My Vids:
FPS: First Person Shooter Action. Including Castle Conquest 23 & 24 footage!

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Meph is offline  
Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 PM #6
Specialist Berger
5 Years in the Making
 
Specialist Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Branford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Not that I disagree, but appeasement is just so much easier. People know what a tournament is even if they have no idea what paintball is. You nicely correct them and say "It's not a tournament, it's a Scenario" and that's a half hour of my life I won't be getting back. Guaranteed.
thats why i gave up lol, i just say its not really a tournaments but my team did well and our side won or lost. most times people are like ohhh ok.
__________________
The Connecticut Commandos - Watch Your ***....
SURPRISE!!!!!
Sponsored By-Alien Paintball Markers-P&L Paintball-Valken

WTB Old Alien Markers, PM
Specialist Berger is offline  
Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM #7
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)
BOS
 
Harbinger[TG]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: HERE
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
I hear alot of people (usually new to scenario) ask about them and ask when the next "tournament" is. This is due to the fact that, with most sports, an organized "event" is usually some sort of "tournament" be it golf, pool, tennis, horseshoes, etc.

Scenario and tournament are two completely different things, even though both involve paintball.

Sorta like calling a "demolition derby" a "race" because it has cars.

Not trying to be picky...I just try hard to educate folks due to the fact that when you say "tournament" people think speedball like they see on ESPN and they are afraid to come out, thinking that is what it's like. Scenario is a lot more "newbie-friendly" as well as being a great type of paintball for women and kids.

Help get more folks involved in scenario. If you hear someone referring to a scenario game as a "tournament" try to, politely, enlighten them.
when i tell people not familiar with all aspects of PB, i say tourney or 24game
Harbinger[TG] is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 PM #8
PaintballSportsGirl
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Very good point Viper. I try to correct people when they call scenario games "tournaments..." I tell them it is competitive, but not in the same way as a tournament would be. I explain there's not prize money up for grabs, it's more about a bunch of people getting together and having fun.

Sometimes they sound a little disappointed--like what i was doing isn't as "important" as it would be if it were a "tournament."

Then I tell them how many people were there (and any number over about 200 tends to impress people), and they usually say, "WOW, a LOT of people are into paintball." If it was a game of under 1000 people, I say, Yeah, and that was a small-ish game... then they are impressed by the size and scope of paintball and I feel as if my job is done.

Dawn
PaintballSportsGirl is offline  
Old 12-17-2006, 07:03 AM #9
Capt13thLegionnaires
Digger
 
Capt13thLegionnaires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nj
I myself in my ealier days from doing the switch from tourney ball to scenario ball used to say I was going to a tourney, but it was stuck in my head from the good ole days, now I say EVENT... game sounds to modest and unimportant..lol you go everyday to a rec game, a scenario is an event!!!
__________________
Xlll Legionnaires Founder: Jim "Digger" Jenkins
LOVED BY SOME , HATED BY MANY,
RESPECTED BY ALL!!
Sponsored By Redz, P&D, End Game Inc,Organized Chaos PB, Pyro Paintball, USMilitaryGear.Com
MVT 06 Skirmish USA Stalingrad (German)
MVT 06 O.A. Gi Joe Vs Kobra (Joes)
Capt13thLegionnaires is offline  
Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 AM #10
BarneyNY
I'm the Purple guy!
 
BarneyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: da bronx
Annual Supporting Member
BarneyNY is a Supporting Member
BarneyNY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt13thLegionnaires View Post
I myself in my ealier days from doing the switch from tourney ball to scenario ball used to say I was going to a tourney, but it was stuck in my head from the good ole days, now I say EVENT... game sounds to modest and unimportant..lol you go everyday to a rec game, a scenario is an event!!!
I like that, just because it's the truth and that's exactly what it is!
__________________
Team: RT's Raiders/Master Blasters; Blue's Crew; 2011 Paintball Man of the Year!
WestPoint 2005 Battle of Bastogne MVT (RT Raiders); 2006 Spring Game VC - MVP; 2008 Battle of Bulge German - Co-MVP; Skirmish 2007 Staligrad Russian - MVP; HiVi 2008 Death Before Dishonor - Sportsmanship; StrategyPlus 2009 WOA - Co-MVP; 2010 Legion - MoFo; 2011 Russian Front - Russian MVP; 2012 Quickshot - Divided Front - MVP; EMR 2013 March Meltdown - MVP
www.bluescrewtv.com; www.emrpaintball.com; www.cousinspaintball.com; www.paintballsportsny.com
BarneyNY is offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 AM #11
quigonken
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
i call'em BIG GAMES.....if i say event it kinda seems to refer to a tourney of sorts....EVENT...

i dunno, maybe its just me

-QGKen
__________________
KILLING FOR THE SHEER ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME
DEFCON PAINTBALL- Unleash The Warrior Within
ParttimeKillers
--Fun, Honour, Skill...Why Paintball was created--
quigonken is offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 12:04 PM #12
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios
 
ViperScenarios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
Well, truth be told...there is a difference between "Big Game" format and scenario. However, referring to one as the other does nothing more than detract from the added depth of a true "scenario" over a "big game." It doesn't scare away new players, which was the big point of this post.

So, even though it's a bit of an insult to fail to recognize the massive amount of additional work that goes into a "scenario" I would much rather have folks calling scenarios "bog games" than "tournaments. At least it differenciates between a big event played for fun, as opposed to the total focus on winning that undermines the fun at a tournament.
__________________
Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
Event Director: Viper Paintball
www.viperpaintball.com
ViperScenarios is offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM #13
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)
BOS
 
Harbinger[TG]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: HERE
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
Well, truth be told...there is a difference between "Big Game" format and scenario. However, referring to one as the other does nothing more than detract from the added depth of a true "scenario" over a "big game." It doesn't scare away new players, which was the big point of this post.

So, even though it's a bit of an insult to fail to recognize the massive amount of additional work that goes into a "scenario" I would much rather have folks calling scenarios "big games" than "tournaments. At least it differenciates between a big event played for fun, as opposed to the total focus on winning that undermines the fun at a tournament.
fixed bog=big

how about huge-a-mongus-paintball-fun-time-o-rama?

I dont think ive ever done a big game then, they were all scenarios. But anything with 400+ players to me will always be a big game/event w/e.

I remember a story Holiday posted in Strange about telling people he plays paintball and people only heard "ping-pong" You play professional ping-pong??

yes maam i play ping-pong
Harbinger[TG] is offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 PM #14
8-Ball
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
When talking with non-playing friends/co-worker/etc. I ALWAYS take the time to explaing the differences between tournies, big games and Scenarios. Why?

Because you never know when you might dispell some misconception they may have about a particular aspect of paintball that might be just enough to pique their interest to try paintball now that they know paintball "isn't only like that stuff they see on TV where they shoot so fast".

Even if they never come out and play, at least I've informed one more possible voter or parent of some of the positives associated with paintball like Sportsmanship, safety and fun.

If you love this sport, then that half hour is time well spent and you may just be surprised how that time may "come back to you".
__________________
California Gridlock
Sponsored by: Smart Parts
8-Ball is offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM #15
chaos0xomega
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
HAHA! I actually had to explain the difference to someone yesterday. Me and a mate were talkin' bout paintball games, and another kid was like " You talking about the Berlin Tourny?" I was like, "You mean Scenario?" and he was like whatever, and I was like that was a few months ago, then he was like "Oh, I'm going to the D-Day tournament!" And I was like, "SCENARIO!" and he was like, "yeah that Skirmish thing or whatever its called!"

He prenty much went from tourny to scenario to tourny again, then to scenario, then skirmish, back to scenario, skirmish again, big game, battle, big game, back to tournament, and that is where I gave up.
chaos0xomega is offline  
Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 AM #16
Mok Star
Official Beer Taster
 
Mok Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Even if they never come out and play, at least I've informed one more possible voter or parent of some of the positives associated with paintball like Sportsmanship, safety and fun.
you are refering to all aspects and forms of the sport, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper
At least it differenciates between a big event played for fun, as opposed to the total focus on winning that undermines the fun at a tournament.
it's not about winning or losing, but how you play the game.....then why do you keep score

i don't know about you, but the competition is what is most fun for me....the drive to win, healthy competition, the rush of knowing is all you need to do is win one more match....

i once heard someone say about scenario paintball.....

"the only winning or losing is if you had fun, if you had fun you won, if not you lost..."

i like this quote and apply it to all my paintball adventures.
__________________
Mok Star
Mok Star is offline  
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM #17
8-Ball
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok Star View Post
you are refering to all aspects and forms of the sport, right?
Yes, I play PAINTBALL, therefor I try my best to promote PAINTBALL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok Star View Post
it's not about winning or losing, but how you play the game.....then why do you keep score

i don't know about you, but the competition is what is most fun for me....the drive to win, healthy competition, the rush of knowing is all you need to do is win one more match....

i once heard someone say about scenario paintball.....

"the only winning or losing is if you had fun, if you had fun you won, if not you lost..."

i like this quote and apply it to all my paintball adventures.
Even Scenario has some competition in it, though the emphasis is placed more on fun.

If one were to make paintball a pendulum, with typical tournament play on one side to signify the extreme of competition, and Scenario/rec on the other to signify fun...then the SPPL format which carries as much emphasis on Sportsmanship as it does on winning would be as close to center as you could find in todays paintball events, IMHO. adopting this same "attitude" in tournament paintball would benefit it in terms of public acceptance.

If you'll notice lately even some of the Pro Sports are addressing their own "Bad boy" attitude issues, ie. T.O and others that have made the news in recent months.

"the only winning or losing is if you had fun, if you had fun you won, if not you lost..."
It's the same ideal I use for every paintball venue I participate in. Let's face it, paintball IS (in any form) a recreation, if it's not fun, then why do it?
__________________
California Gridlock
Sponsored by: Smart Parts
8-Ball is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump