PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-31-2001, 04:32 PM #1
Bluelcd

has been a member for 10 years
Pic of programming cable

Does anyone have a pic of the programming cable. I have seen the software and wondering if we could make the cable? Can anyone help.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:24 PM #2
Rizzo
Yep.

You cannot manufacture your own cable because there is a circuit board in line on the cable. You will have to purchase the cable pre-manufactured from one of the retailers that sell it.

Rizzo

Visit Team Wiseguys, the 2000 ICC/NAAPSA State Novice Champions.
E-Mail me at nvoils@indy.net
AKALMP, inc. Factory Certified Technician
Old 08-31-2001, 05:34 PM #3
Bluelcd

I understand that I was hoping someone who had one could help everyone else make thier own. The circuit board you are talking about should be the standard max232 chip with four capacitors (charge pumps). This chip converts the ttl signal of the pic controller to the standard RS232 output levels. The program used to configure the gun just sends the whole chip memory each time. Instead of just a section. That board would be easy to make?
Old 08-31-2001, 07:21 PM #4
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
Now let's think about this. What you are wanting to do is for someone who has bought this to show you how you can make your own for much less. Ya know, that doesn't sound right to me. The last I heard was they were like $40. Now if you have a $1200 gun then you should be able to afford a $40 tool. Or maybe it is just late here and I need to go to bed.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 08-31-2001, 08:27 PM #5
MiniBubba

bluelcd is a smart one!
Old 09-02-2001, 04:04 PM #6
co2only
"Hang Loose"

Are the cables for sale yet??

I talked to AKA this past tuesday and they said they were not in and not ready to release them? What's up with this cable, it might be faster to make your own (just kidding). They also said the price is $55. -BIll
Old 09-02-2001, 09:41 PM #7
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
They are for sale. I've had mine for a good while as have others. They should be in stock but call them at 317-631-7200 to verify and order.
Dan
Old 09-04-2001, 04:46 PM #8
Bluelcd

Auction: Your cable connects to your serial port correct. Does it have power cable.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:37 PM #9
Reciprocity

3d do you have High rises as well? I need a stock black one. If so, I will order them from you.
Excal #200 with New Board and New LED Tray.
Shocktech Rail Drop Forward.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 09-04-2001, 06:46 PM #10
3dPaintball

Unfortunatly I don't have any and can't get any as they are back-ordered from AKA

Sorry
Old 09-04-2001, 10:51 PM #11
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluelcd
Auction: Your cable connects to your serial port correct. Does it have power cable.
It connects to the parallel port. A lot of the new laptops don't have standard serial ports. It draws it's power from the computer.

Dan
Old 09-05-2001, 10:40 AM #12
Bluelcd

so they are flashing the chip each time using a pic programming cable. Not like the angel that using rs232 to read and write to the memory chip. I just got my hands on a board and am going to do some traces to see.
Old 09-10-2001, 12:44 PM #13
Riggidy

Riggidy is a founding member
I made mine, cost me about 5 bucks.

Check out my article on the Angelownersgroup.com articles section

06 Gat (sold), 05 Speed dust red (sold), 2000 LCD (sold), 2001 LCD (sold), 2002 LCD (sold)
All Aced
feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=727017
Old 09-10-2001, 01:20 PM #14
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
Hmm, nice. That might work if we had angel boards in the Excalibur. Now I don't know alot about the board but I would bet money that they are not the same board nor is an Angel data cable compatable with an Excalibur board.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 09-11-2001, 03:41 PM #15
Bluelcd

The method AKALMP is using to save the new settings to the gun, is by flashing the PIC each time. The board is very simple and mainly just a timing board. An angel cable could not be used put a programming cable could be made for the excal very cheaply. The advantage for a parrallel flashing cable is to draw the power from the computer. A serial flashing cable needs external power. The angel cable takes power from the gun to run.

I am still looking for a pic of someones cable.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:28 PM #16
Slick-Ntz

I cant tell you the pin outs on your marker but I can give you a diagram of the 232 convertor. You will need adobe to view it. Here is a link to the diagram of the convertor at least.Click me for the diagram
If you want you can use a LM1489 in place of the Max232 chip. the 1489 does not need an charge caps and therefore only needs a total of 8wires. 4 inputs and four outputs. Makes for a little cleaner apperance. If you want some info on the 1489 check out www.freetradezone.com You will have to register to be able to search for the items and get detailed descriptions and diagrams, but registration is free.

L8's

Last edited by Slick-Ntz : 09-12-2001 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:19 AM #17
Bluelcd

Excal does not use Rs232 to program the chip only the angel. But thanks for the info I was looking for a better rs232 chip. I can't seem to fing info on the LM1489 only a DS1489.
Old 09-15-2001, 12:29 PM #18
Slick-Ntz

That is the same chip only made by a different company. However it is a TTL to RS232 convertor as well.
Old 09-17-2001, 03:33 PM #19
Bluelcd

Cable

On the connection to the gun how many wires connect to the gun. I have looked at the board alot. And I believe they use the first three wires of the connector, but I need to know where they get the ground input.
Old 09-17-2001, 08:35 PM #20
Slick-Ntz

More than likely they are using: Ground, Transmit, and recieve lines. This is all you need for a basic RS232 transmit line. It allow the computer to talk to the gun and the gun to talk to the puter, both lines share the ground. Usually your ground is the same ground as your power ground. If you can get a multimeter set it for continuity. Check the negative side of your battery connections then touch the other lead to each pin, one at a time. When you hear a beep you have now found your ground wire. If it is a true RS232 line you can connect the lines however you want until you get it to talk. It wont hurt anything. If they are wrong the gun wont respond to the computer. Wish I had an Excal to help you out with.
Old 09-18-2001, 12:52 AM #21
Bluelcd

Does anyone have the cable?