Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM #1
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Working Quest "Laser" Eyes - HOWTO

Well they work, at least with the WAS board I've been testing with, so like I promised here is a HOWTO with all the info you need to make your own. Total cost for 1 set of eyes is like $10, not including the harness.

First thing you need are the parts and a few tools.

The "eyes":
* Emitter is a GREEN LED from Clairex.com that goes into the 530nm wavelength. Part number for green is CLE535. Red LEDs part number is CLE435. Blue LEDs part number is CLE536 (but still untested). $3.00 each.

* Detector is a Phototransistor made by Panasonic that doesn't have the day light filter on it and reads down into the upper 400nm wavelength with great response times. You can get it from Digikey, part number PNA1401L-ND. $3.50 each.

Next you need an exacto knife, a soldering iron and a bit of heat shrink wrap. You can get all of this stuff from your local hardware store. DON'T FORGET TO GET THE HEAT SHRINK, it's going to protect the leads and keep your eyes from malfunctioning (ya it's there for a purpose).

Lastly, you need an eye harness to put the new eyes on. Duh.

Everything you need:

Detector:

Emitter:

Step 1:
Strip the heat shrink off the existing eyes with your exacto knife. The easiest way is to run it up the length of the wire and then peel it off. You want to do it to both sides obviously.

Step 2:
Snip the eyes off your harness as high up as you can.

Step 3:
Strip back the ends of the wires about 1/2 a cm.

Step 4:
Cut off some of the heat shrink and put it over the 2 wires and then line up your new eyes.

Step 5:
You don't want to cut the excess length off the leads from your new eyes yet. You solder them on, and then cut it off. So for now, I tucked them in the heat shrink to help keep the wires and leads together so I could solder them on. (whoops, the eye in backwards in this pic)

Step 6:
Solder the new eyes on to your harness. Because soldering takes 2 hands I couldn't take any pictures of it, but if you know how to solder you know what to do.

Step 7:
Before jumping for joy, TEST your eyes and make sure they work. Just plug them into your board and turn it on. If you see the LED light up green, then you're in business.

Step 8 (Trouble shooting):
Because the detector doesn't have a daylight filter on it, SUN LIGHT WILL EFFECT IT. So to see if they are working, hold the emitter and detector face to face with your fingers covering them up as much as you can, and then see if the board is a SOLID green, telling you the eyes are NOT blocked. Then move the LED away from the detector and see if it BLINKS green, telling you it's ready to fire (i.e. it thinks it's blocked). If that works, then you're in business. If the LED doesn't light up, there are 2 possible problems. One, your LED is bad (maybe you got it too hot when you were soldering), or two, you have it soldered on the WRONG way.

Step 9:
If it all appears to be working correctly, you can snip off the excess lead from the eyes and then slide the heat shrink up the wire as far as you can. Idealy, you want it all the way up touching the back side of the eyes.

Step 10:
Put your marker back together and fire it up. With any luck you'll see this:

Step 11:
Go show all your pals and let them know how agg you are. Then go get bunkered by the kid with the rental gun, lol! j/k!

Quest FTW!

PS. These same parts work on Intimidators to if anyone wants to try. Here is a link to the first one that bcoffron got working: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post27727017

EDIT: I got the Blue eyes working, so I can now verify that GREEN, RED and BLUE all work.

Last edited by bronc.v2 : 10-27-2006 at 02:36 PM.
bronc.v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2006, 02:58 PM #2
The EastCoast Kid
chicka chicka yeahh

thats very cool man glad you finally got it to work. can anyone say sticky? will you be selling ready to install eyes for us "less technal people" like me? if you are pm me with a price. once again kudos man

i am mclovinnnn
The EastCoast Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:02 PM #3
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The EastCoast Kid
thats very cool man glad you finally got it to work. can anyone say sticky? will you be selling ready to install eyes for us "less technal people" like me? if you are pm me with a price. once again kudos man
I'm looking into getting the parts to make the harness. I can't seem to get harnesses without the eyes on them from anyone. FEP gets theirs already done from WAS, and WAS hasn't sounded like they wanted to sell me a harness only set up.

Right now I've only got 1 extra harness (my back up), and a couple extra sets of loose eyes.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:06 PM #4
The EastCoast Kid
chicka chicka yeahh

oh, yeh well im not sure id want to risk fudging up my eyes b/c im not that good with this stuff. but if you can eventualy get the harnesses from WAS i would be more than happy to buy a pair. but you cant get the harnesses from another board company?

i am mclovinnnn
The EastCoast Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM #5
martinfootball60
paintball is too expensiv

has been a member for 10 years
^^same here
martinfootball60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 PM #6
bronc.v2 (Banned)

I'm looking around now for the harness and/or the parts to make it.

If you want a set really, REALLY, bad, it might be worth your time to buy a new harness from FEP and send it to me to mod, otherwise it might be a while before I can get what I need to make them.

I'm trying, it's just not easy. Heck, it's taken me months to find the correct parts just for the eyes.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 PM #7
raymius (Banned)

raymius is a Supporting Member
Did you try (Order) any other color LEDs?
raymius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:14 PM #8
jeffreyjames

great job bronc! keep at it, im sure youll find the harness parts somewhere. SOMEONE is making them, so they should be available SOMEWHERE. having spent so much time looking for the eye parts you should probably have some good ideas of where to look for the harness parts. finding them without eyes or something else attached would seem to be the hardest part. or youll have to buy the equipment to make your own harness(i.e for the pin connectors and a way to fit them to the plug real easy). if not i guess itd be about finding the cheapest harness you can and cannibalising it to make these.

"Originally posted by QuencyJones16: It is not the making of a resume' that is hard, it is actually getting those achievements to actually put on it that take time."

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!!!
jeffreyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 PM #9
bronc.v2 (Banned)

I've got red and green LEDs that work. My emitter "should" be able to read blue ones as well, but I haven't ordered or try that color yet.

I know what the components are called for the harness, it's just a pain finding the right sizes and crap. I'll figure it out I'm sure
Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 PM #10
raymius (Banned)

raymius is a Supporting Member
Do you have the part number for the RED LED? They have a few different ones.
raymius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:26 PM #11
jeffreyjames

tinker freaks rejoice!!!!!!! lmao!! still, great work bronc.

"Originally posted by QuencyJones16: It is not the making of a resume' that is hard, it is actually getting those achievements to actually put on it that take time."

Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 PM #12
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
bronc: PM me your address and I'll send you some harnesses
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:02 AM #13
NYGuardians capt.

NYGuardians capt. is a Supporting Member
NYGuardians capt. owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sounds interesting.... i'm grounded for a month so i might as well try it out!
Old 10-15-2006, 12:23 AM #14
XMAILMANX
PimpHustleStackMoney

i dont trust myself to do it.....who's going first???..If somebody gets it right, PM me, we might be able to work something out. Good job once again Bronc! GL is PSP!!

PIMP HUSTLE STACK-MONEY
XMAILMANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:44 AM #15
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymius
Do you have the part number for the RED LED? They have a few different ones.
Posted the part numbers for all 3 different color LEDs in the original post.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:07 AM #16
jeffreyjames

this will be a great winter project for folks that live in the cold climates. it gets cold here with snow and everything, but i have an indoor only a couple miles away(i could walk to it if i was in the mood and had 45mins to an hour). and we dont usually get that much snow.
all in all this is a great little project for those of us that are mechanically/electronically inclined.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 AM #17
Chicago Quest
Hmm...

now that is sexy

you best not be come round here
unless you've got me sensi herb
Chicago Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:34 PM #18
LU_aDaK
See you at LL7

Annual Supporting Member
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VI
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VII
to you bronc, get FEP's ok that this wont hurt my beloved warranty and im in.

LU_aDaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 PM #19
bronc.v2 (Banned)

I know Rich and the guys at FEP want a few, so I'm not sure what that means when it comes to warrenty

And I took it out today and put 2 cases of paint through it with the new GREEN eyes. It worked flawlessly.

I wanted to see how good it worked with broken paint in the breach, so I broke a ball in there on purpose, ran a strait shot through the barrel and tried to shoot it. I was looking to see if the eyes were blind and they would be bypassed, or if the light was bright enough to be "seen" through the muck. To my surprise, they kept on working, even after another ball chopped in gunk about 10 balls into the string. I was using White paint through, so that may have made a bit of difference. I doubt anything could see through Hellfire

So far my tests have worked awesome, and I'm going to be ordering more eyes on Monday!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:38 PM #20
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallNAngel
bronc: PM me your address and I'll send you some harnesses
Are you making them or getting them from somewhere? I've starting looking for the parts to make them because of the demand. Also a lot of Timmy owners want them to.

I'm being swamped!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 PM #21
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
I'm making them on my own. Unless you manage to find a source for them (I couldn't), it'll likely be cost prohibitive for you to make them yourself. Quick hint, Intimidators and Quests don't use the same connector either.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote