PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 AM #1
Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
7man reffing was good....or was it?

i'll start by saying that most of the reffing was good on saturday..sunday however? not so much. when a 1for1 is called on an unobvious hit (on the pack) and then the ref explains the call by using the other teams players first name it sounds like bull**** to me. if someone is out, pull their armband..don't worry, those poles that you boys hold up all day can stand there with the help of gravity they don't need you. it's odd when both other teams in the division complain about calls that go along the same lines...meh whatever. congratulations to the teams.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM #2
trogdor444

complete joke, ill have extra pods with me for the finale.....goin for bout 15-20 kills per game, think about it
Old 10-09-2006, 01:32 PM #3
S2AM

oki the one for one was pulled on a very obvious hit .. it is still questionable ... but 3 refs confirmed that the player with the hit on his pak jumped to the side after the hit and the ref that was making the cal was running towards the player signaling that hes hit after the player did not comply he did a one for one signal for playing on
Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM #4
kott545

the reffing was a disgrace to paintball. the reffswould not show any effort at all to check anyone. if you ask them to go check some one the would just call them clean. it was redick
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 PM #5
Doctor

ok a pack hit is obvious to the refs yes..to the player? not at all..he spun because he was being shot at from both sides of his bunker. it doesn't matter at this point i was just venting..if you think you made the right call than so be it. on the other hand when is it ok for a ref to refer to a player as anything other than "player"?....at least be smart enuff to pretend..that's all i have to say...
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM #6
GetBunkerD
LurkerPB.com

Annual Supporting Member
GetBunkerD is a Supporting Member
GetBunkerD posts videos on PbNation
7 man reffing was awesome.

Gabe - Director of Marketing & Promotions @ Lurker Paintball
www.LurkerPaintball.com
www.PBMechanix.com
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM #7
S2AM

i was reffing on sunday we had refs on the 7 man field watching them ... we herd the players cals to go chek them and so did i but i did not bother to move becuz i was looking at the player and as for calling it out plz be specific of who u call out if ur gonna call chek that player wat player .... say like chek the bak right aztec on his foot then on the other hand chek the rule books we r doing u a favor for going to chek player wen u call a paintchek we r not obligated to chek players wen a player calls paint chek .... final not i agree some of the refs wer lazy and not paying attention but even the ones that wer got flamed by players .... im gonna finish off by saying everyone has complaints about reffign and there always will be understand wer u come from being a player myself but if u think u can do a better job and not get flamed on the forums and on the field step up to the plate and ref
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM #8
GetBunkerD
LurkerPB.com

Annual Supporting Member
EVERYONE, PLEASE REMEMBER.

If you ask for a paint check. A REF MAY CHECK THE PLAYER, BUT IS NOT OBLIGATED TO DO SO.

GPL Rule Book...see for your self.

www.LurkerPaintball.com
www.PBMechanix.com
Old 10-09-2006, 05:26 PM #9
niceshot009

yup....sometimes the ref is too busy on his cell phone to make an important call (my only complaint from one game)....thank god for head refs to pay attention

EX D.C. Monstars
UMD TERP Alum
R.I.P Black Label
R.I.P Descent Legion
Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 PM #10
ROCJOC15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor
ok a pack hit is obvious to the refs yes..to the player? not at all..he spun because he was being shot at from both sides of his bunker. it doesn't matter at this point i was just venting..if you think you made the right call than so be it. on the other hand when is it ok for a ref to refer to a player as anything other than "player"?....at least be smart enuff to pretend..that's all i have to say...
A one for one was never called for the hit on this pack ever though 3 ref witnessed him get hit and jump, turn and tried shooting the other player that had shoot him. And it wasn't called because he shoot the ref twice as he ran across the field signaling that he was out ( the ref he clams he didn't see). After all that the call is made when he finally hits the player that shoot him while another from that corner is try to get his arm band off at this point the call is made, a one for one for playing on. When the ref went to pull another player he couldn't because there was no other live plays. The ref never call any member of that they by there first name or last name because he never ever seen that team before ever. After the refs spoke with Big E they didn't issue the one for one, which only would of brought a player out of the other teams dead box, because the hit was on the side belt part of the pack. So this call didn't even affect the match. But if the big tough US ARMY TEAM needs to keep cry about this call go ahead and cry, cry me a river, let it all out. After all the US ARMY TEAM has feels too.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 AM #11
impyboy
Drewzy

I thought the refs did great job. I know what its like to ref all day and get the S hit shot out of you. The refs are always gonna get blame put on them no matter what, regardless if they (as a whole) did one heck of a job. Keep it up fellas.

-Andrew
Team Nasty
Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 AM #12
S2AM

nice to see some posiive feed back for our jobs out there we appreciate it lots
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 AM #13
iLIKEfudge4u

has anyone failed to see that maybe (just maybe) that sometimes a ref calls a player by name because his name may be on the back of his jersey?

I saw quite a few teams out there with their names on the back of their jerseys.

Just an observation.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM #14
Em de BX
aka 2 EZ

Figured I'd chime in on this b/c I've been on both sides of the game @ GPL:
Reffing has seen a steady improvement through the course of the season, but there are 2 things I think that need to be addressed to make it even better:

1. Refs on the snake side of fields SHOULD NOT be all up on players. I have seen players call a check on the snake player just to blow where he/she is b/c the ref never really backs up off of him after the check. I understand for paint check situations, but after that, the ref should back off a bit so the player can move around & not have his/her position blown. I don't know if it's affected outcomes of games, but from time to time, it has nearly changed the entire game around.

2. No knock on Big E, but a ref should not be making calls &/or assessing penalities from behind the nets especially when refs are in position to make the calls. It happened in 1 of our games (but was sorted & corrected B4 any1 jumps) & it has happened throughout the season. I don't care if this call would be in our favor, a ref that is not on the field making calls should not be making them. I'm not saying they shouldn't order a ref to check b/c when you have a wiper, you may need another set of eyes, but if you're not on the field, the only time I could see that being justified is if there were no refs on a player.

Outside of that, I have no complaints saev 1 observation. 1 of my teammates got kicked off & with good reason. I even spoke to Esse on Sunday & told him that he did the right thing. I would like that to stay consistent & it did at this event. I know some1 else got kicked off for something similar on Sunday. Last event, there was a near brawl with guys wrestling & no one was kicked out. A lil more consistentcy & things will be even better, although ppl will still find reasons to complain!!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 AM #15
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I just want to take this moment to say that we do read the forums but I would like to remind everyone that we do have a Questionaire to fill out on our Website. By filling this out, we can get your opinions and make changes to the seires. Some of you have filled it out in that past and Brian has responded to many of your questions.

We are constantly trying to improve the GPL and we cant do it without your help.

Please take a few min to fill out our free questionaire. You may choose to submit it anonymously if you choose.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM #16
mad8
3-5-romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCJOC15
A one for one was never called for the hit on this pack ever though 3 ref witnessed him get hit and jump, turn and tried shooting the other player that had shoot him. And it wasn't called because he shoot the ref twice as he ran across the field signaling that he was out ( the ref he clams he didn't see). After all that the call is made when he finally hits the player that shoot him while another from that corner is try to get his arm band off at this point the call is made, a one for one for playing on. When the ref went to pull another player he couldn't because there was no other live plays. The ref never call any member of that they by there first name or last name because he never ever seen that team before ever. After the refs spoke with Big E they didn't issue the one for one, which only would of brought a player out of the other teams dead box, because the hit was on the side belt part of the pack. So this call didn't even affect the match. But if the big tough US ARMY TEAM needs to keep cry about this call go ahead and cry, cry me a river, let it all out. After all the US ARMY TEAM has feels too.
quick comment (in Army's defence) they did play very straight and didn't argue anything in 2 days except that 1for1. other teams were a bit more argumentative...
Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM #17
MisfitBigE144
PB God -26yrs N' Counting

Annual Supporting Member
MisfitBigE144 plays in the PSP
MisfitBigE144 donated to help Peyton Trent
MisfitBigE144 supports Bob Gurnsey
MisfitBigE144 plays in the APPA D4 division
MisfitBigE144 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MisfitBigE144 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
"Not knock on Big E, but a ref should not be making calls &/or assessing penalities from behind the nets especially when refs are in position to make the calls. It happened in 1 of our games (but was sorted & corrected B4 any1 jumps) & it has happened throughout the season. I don't care if this call would be in our favor, a ref that is not on the field making calls should not be making them. I'm not saying they shouldn't order a ref to check b/c when you have a wiper, you may need another set of eyes, but if you're not on the field, the only time I could see that being justified is if there were no refs on a player."

- quote from NYSD Player

Players shouldn't throw their guns after they get hit in the head and like 100 people see it. I like an omnipitent being. That is the best part of being the ultimate ref...inside or outside the net. I get to make a call...The point is it was the right one...and everyone on the sideline that witnessed the happening knows it. Not that anyone asked but the kid that got shot in the eye, from the paint when the gun went off after it hit the ground, is okay. Glad everyone was worried about him.

People gotta learn to keep their Shizz in check and remember that this is supposed to be a game...oh wait...and fun at that. Bruized egos heal in a day...bruized equipment goes on ebay.

I'm going to keep watching and reffing between games from outside as well as overseeing what happens on field. I can't very well make adjustments to our "horrible" reffing unless I actually watch and evaluate and constantly tweak what is going on. As for me making calls from the sidelines - Get used to it. I accept your criticism- but it isn't going to change. The extra pair of eyes helps games go much smoother.

Cyndi, Brian and I will be again addressing referee ediquette and professionalizm. I do believe, with only a few exceptions, that refs should NOT address players by their names...although I agree with an earlier comment about the "names on jerseys" I have to do that alot in the PSP to get a player to stop and acknowledge our existence.

p.s.
Oh and NO. No one was on the cell phone while refereeing this past or the event prior to that. That was an isolated event (Event # 3) and that referee is no longer participating. Stop being gay and give it up

p.p.s

Oh am I SO looking forward to seeing TROGDOR at the last event :-). You do know you have to be a real retard to even suggest shooting up refs on PB NATION - The gods of PBNATION will shine down and smack you cross your bottom.
Ultimate Judge EPL-NORTH & MID ATLANTIC 2014 & SMP 3Man EPL Feeder Series - www.eplseries.com

Last edited by MisfitBigE144 : 10-10-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM #18
naughtyDogs>YOU
Who is the coon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBigE144
"Not knock on Big E, but a ref should not be making calls &/or assessing penalities from behind the nets especially when refs are in position to make the calls. It happened in 1 of our games (but was sorted & corrected B4 any1 jumps) & it has happened throughout the season. I don't care if this call would be in our favor, a ref that is not on the field making calls should not be making them. I'm not saying they shouldn't order a ref to check b/c when you have a wiper, you may need another set of eyes, but if you're not on the field, the only time I could see that being justified is if there were no refs on a player."

- quote from NYSD Player

Players shouldn't throw their guns after they get hit in the head and like 100 people see it. I like an omnipitent being. That is the best part of being the ultimate ref...inside or outside the net. I get to make a call...The point is it was the right one...and everyone on the sideline that witnessed the happening knows it. Not that anyone asked but the kid that got shot in the eye, from the paint when the gun went off after it hit the ground, is okay. Glad everyone was worried about him.

People gotta learn to keep their Shizz in check and remember that this is supposed to be a game...oh wait...and fun at that. Bruized egos heal in a day...bruized equipment goes on ebay.

I'm going to keep watching and reffing between games from outside as well as overseeing what happens on field. I can't very well make adjustments to our "horrible" reffing unless I actually watch and evaluate and constantly tweak what is going on. As for me making calls from the sidelines - Get used to it. I accept your criticism- but it isn't going to change. The extra pair of eyes helps games go much smoother.

Cyndi, Brian and I will be again addressing referee ediquette and professionalizm. I do believe, with only a few exceptions, that refs should NOT address players by their names...although I agree with an earlier comment about the "names on jerseys" I have to do that alot in the PSP to get a player to stop and acknowledge our existence.

p.s.
Oh and NO. No one was on the cell phone while refereeing this past or the event prior to that. That was an isolated event (Event # 3) and that referee is no longer participating. Stop being gay and give it up

p.p.s

Oh am I SO looking forward to seeing TROGDOR at the last event :-). You do know you have to be a real retard to even suggest shooting up refs on PB NATION - The gods of PBNATION will shine down and smack you cross your bottom.
someone was shot in the eye? i still dont know why he got so upset.
[size="4"][color="Blue"][font="Arial Black"][size="3"]
Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 PM #19
GetBunkerD
LurkerPB.com

Annual Supporting Member
HE IS ALLOWED. He is the ultimate jude.

www.LurkerPaintball.com
www.PBMechanix.com
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM #20
DHP

More than once this past event I have heard talk of players intentionally shooting the refs. On two seperate occasions I saw refs taking hits when I didn't see a player near them. I will guarantee that if we catch this action against any ref at our facility, they will be dealt with severly. Good or bad we must accept a referrees decision. As has been said before, many eyes on the sideline will always see more than ten or more refs on the field. But remember, only the calls on the field are the ones that count. Just like any other sport. Perhaps we should not allow spectators, then maybe all the complaints will go away , as most of the complaints come from the sideline anyway. Just respect the refs for the job they do and try to remember how this game has changed to the point were players now must be yanked out of there bunkers. Refs jobs are tougher now than they ever have been.
Thanks to all the refs for your efforts this past weekend.
DHP
Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 PM #21
speedball7

speedball7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
army did a hell of a job, they played fair and like mad8 said, they only argued about the one for one. and yes there were many other teams tht were way more argumentative.
Old Trust
New Trust