Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 PM #1
jman511115
Master Blaster

jman511115 is a Supporting Member
Aaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

So I played a tourney today, with actual cash riding on the outcome instead of some stupid trophy and prizes. Right smack in the middle of the first game (keep in mind that this is the first time I have gassed up my Remains) I hear this whoosh of air, and then a constant leak after that. The marker still cycles weakly, but the paintballs are only going about ten feet out of the barrel.

After the game...

I take apart the Remains and gas it up to find where the leak is coming from. It turns out that one of the screws that holds the noid to the ram housing mysteriously stripped, letting the noid come loose and vent air everywhere.

Is this a common problem? I hope not, because it caused us the loss of the game and me to use my mag the rest of the day.

Old feedback

KAPP- Kick Ass Paintball Products, rightly named.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:22 PM #2
andrewlax120 (Banned)
^DEALS SAUCE ALL DAY^

andrewlax120 is playing at Living Legends III
andrewlax120 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
andrewlax120 supports Team VICIOUS
i would have maybe put down a thin tight layer of tape or something....but ne way try contacting jack
Old 10-08-2006, 07:27 PM #3
jman511115
Master Blaster

Emailed him about twenty minutes ago. Now all I can do is wait. Have you or do you know anyone who has had this problem? I don't know why they would just strip for no reason, I wasn't banging it around or anything like that.

Old feedback

Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 PM #4
Mind'sEye
Mad Money

Well I do remeber some 05 Freestyle owners having problems with the threads stripping. I don't know if it's caused by over tightening or by the screws being under tightened and then causing damage to the threads as they back out. It doesn't really matter. You should fill out an RMA at the AlienPB site and send it in for repair.

Last edited by Mind'sEye : 10-08-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM #5
jman511115
Master Blaster

I should, and prolly will if Jack doesn't get back to me...

Keep posting, I want to hear your thoughts.

Old feedback

Old 10-08-2006, 08:25 PM #6
ikey

well if it was the first time your aired it up it should be under worranty. just curious but did you have a backup or was it over for you?

it probaby isnt helping but....ahh teh value of a backup when playing tourneys.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:10 PM #7
jman511115
Master Blaster

Lol, I had my mag backing up my alien, my cocker backing up my mag, and my sniper backing up my cocker. No problem with that, I ended up getting 2 or 3 of the oppostion out each game. I was just mad because my brand new gun broke.

Old feedback

Old 10-08-2006, 11:55 PM #8
Pnuemagger
OVER THE LINE!

Quote:
Is this a common problem? I hope not, because it caused us the loss of the game and me to use my mag the rest of the day.
Quote:
Lol, I had my mag backing up my alien, my cocker backing up my mag, and my sniper backing up my cocker. No problem with that, I ended up getting 2 or 3 of the oppostion out each game. I was just mad because my brand new gun broke.
I fail to see how it lost you the game then... but what'ev.

Sometimes a maker can get it's tolerances hurt in a bad anodize or you could get a bum screw. Who knows. Contact Jack. He's a great guy and will help you out I'm sure.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:10 AM #9
Mind'sEye
Mad Money

Are the threads on the noid screws stripped or is the threading in the ram stripped out? Generally you would see damage to the aluminum threads tapped into the ram before you see damage to the stainless steel screw threads. If the ram threading is damaged you should save yourself futher aggravation by filling out the RMA form now and sending back under warranty. If it's just the screw threads and you can be certain that there is no damage to the ram threading then send a self addressed stamped envelope to Jack and ask for replacement screws.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 AM #10
pdogg6
Controlled Revenge

has been a member for 10 years
well Jman,

I have been keeping up with alien issues for over the past year and have never heard of this particular problem happening. I couldn't see how stress from the marker cycling could cause that screw to strip. It sounds more like a manufacturering boo boo. Unless you messed around with it alittle. Mind'sEye suggestion is good suggestion if you don't like your marker MIA for two weeks. Just thought I drop a line about the problem.

-p-

Alien Interceptors
Alienpb

PBNation feedback
Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM #11
Exit Wounds
doesn't play paintball.

I've never heard of the noid mounting screws actually stripping. They back out frequently in newer markers if you don't use loctite or teflon tape, although after my marker broke in and I lowered the pressure / kick, I haven't needed to tape up my screws any more.

That's a bummer though.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:52 PM #12
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
Something is mising form this picture, you could lose 3 screws and it till would work and not leak.
Contact me at the website and we'll get it right
Old 10-09-2006, 06:32 PM #13
Mind'sEye
Mad Money

Well, I thought jman was talking about the screws that secure the noid to the bottom of the ram housing. There's 2 of those. He says one of em was stripped but maybe it just came loose like Exit Wounds said. I'm sure you guys will work it out. Just to clarify, I've never heard of the screw threads stripping either but I have heard of manifold threads stripping out on the 05 Freestyle.

Last edited by Mind'sEye : 10-09-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 PM #14
jman511115
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnuemagger
I fail to see how it lost you the game then... but what'ev.
The marker wouldn't shoot above about 20 fps, so therefore I couldn't eliminate any opposing players... If the guy in the 50 snake can't do anything, that generally affects the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind'sEye
Are the threads on the noid screws stripped or is the threading in the ram stripped out? Generally you would see damage to the aluminum threads tapped into the ram before you see damage to the stainless steel screw threads. If the ram threading is damaged you should save yourself futher aggravation by filling out the RMA form now and sending back under warranty. If it's just the screw threads and you can be certain that there is no damage to the ram threading then send a self addressed stamped envelope to Jack and ask for replacement screws.
Correct, it is the ram that is stripped. I should have clarified. Are all Remains under warranty, because they were made this year? I did technically buy it used, but never actually used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg6
Unless you messed around with it alittle.
Didn't touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rice
Something is mising form this picture, you could lose 3 screws and it till would work and not leak.
Contact me at the website and we'll get it right
Already emailed you yesterday through yahoo mail. It was one of the screw holes that secure the noid to the ram housing that stripped.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Old feedback

Old 10-09-2006, 09:27 PM #15
crazyguns06

mine was leakign but it was the gasget (sp) between noid and ram or something like that
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM #16
jman511115
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguns06
mine was leakign but it was the gasget (sp) between noid and ram or something like that
Gasket. That was the first thing I would have checked, but it was painfully obvious that the solenoid wasn't on the right way.

Also... Just submitted an RMA. Jack: I put it under NO warranty, because I am not sure if it still is.

Old feedback

Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 PM #17
Mind'sEye
Mad Money

Sounds like you're on the right track. If you know someone who can tap a heli-coil in there to restore the threads it might save you some money if the used gun is not covered under warranty. Email Jack from the website for details. Expect a few days wait on an RMA answer.........
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM #18
jman511115
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind'sEye
Sounds like you're on the right track. If you know someone who can tap a heli-coil in there to restore the threads it might save you some money if the used gun is not covered under warranty. Email Jack from the website for details. Expect a few days wait on an RMA answer.........
That would be great. I was thinking about just tapping it with a larger screw size... but then I'd have to make sure the noid would fit the screw, and make sure I didn't hit anything important.

Not to mention it would probably void a warranty, if I do have one.

Old feedback

Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 PM #19
jman511115
Master Blaster

Wow. I got the RMA back pretty quickly, but Buffalo just got blasted with a couple of feet of snow yesterday. It's a disaster area here, trees and power lines down everywhere, cars in the most random of places... We just got power back a few minutes ago. I prolly won't be able to ship untill tuesday, if I'm lucky. Jack, thanks for the quick service, and my Remains will be in the mail asap.

- John

Edit: Go Sabres!!!

Old feedback

Last edited by jman511115 : 10-13-2006 at 11:25 PM.