PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 PM #22
s|o|u|p| my antidrug (Banned)
Hado Gei!

I see your point--regardless of the fact that it had nothing to do with what I said. What I was getting at was, how many teachers do you suppose have the mentality to think logically (much less discriminate and engage a threat) under those types of circumstances? In my opinion, that isn't something that can be taught. Also, the first time a teacher inadvertantly shoots an unarmed student, it will be the end of this whole idea.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:34 AM #23
Furious S

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
You've never challenged a teacher have you?
I challenge my teachers all the time. A lot of them hate me. I support this bill. Contrary to popular (and ignorant) belief, having a gun does not cause you to have urges to kill people over small things. I have quite a few guns, including an AK47 (well, a semi-auto clone), and I can be very ill tempered, I'll get in someones face and yell at them, I'll even punch them or throw them on the ground. However, I have never threatened anyone with a gun, and I never will unless I believe that myself, my friends, or my family are in danger. It doesn't take a genius to know when you should or shouldn't bring a gun into the situation. Every teacher would know anyways that they would get fired if they took out the gun for any reason no absolutely necessary.

"Originally posted by p8ntgurl
I only have 1 screwed up kid out of 4. That's not bad. "
Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 AM #24
Spiral_Out
Airplanes > Treadmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear
Ok think about this

Guy comes into room with guns, starts linning people up..

a)no armed teacher, guy kills 6 girls

b)armed teacher kills guy, accidently killing one student in the crossfire.

Thats a net of 5 lives saved.
Or

b) armed teacher engages a shooter, kills 3 kids in another room from rounds going through the walls like paper, shooter kills 10 on purpose, blah blah blah...

You can make up hypothetical situations all day long, but there are so many variables that it's pointless to do so. As much as I think guns in the hands of law abiding citizens help decrease crime, I do NOT think it's a good idea to have more guns going off inside a school. It can be confusing enough to have one person shooting in a school. They always have difficulty determining the number of shooters in these situations, how much worse would it be with guns all over the school? Who is a good guy, who is a bad guy?
I'll never hear a word you say
He promised I would find a little
Solace and some peace of mind.
Whatever, just as long as I don't feel so
Desperate and ravenous... So weak and powerless...
Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 AM #25
XOne (Banned)
Un soldado de Dios

Arent the police supposed to like... protect us and our children?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 AM #26
26bps
Fluent in Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOne
A police officer in every classroom?
He was saying that pot is somewhat more valuable than children."

"Originally posted by Comfortably_Numb:
So Automagogot has been trolling me and then closing my threads....
Old 10-06-2006, 02:07 AM #27
Spiral_Out
Airplanes > Treadmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26bps
A police officer in every classroom?
How about a SWAT team in every school?

I wonder when everyone is going to realize you can't protect yourselves against crazy people.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 AM #28
26bps
Fluent in Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Out
Or an Overbear.

Finally a good reason to legalize human cloning. Edit :megadodgy:

Last edited by 26bps : 10-06-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 AM #29
XOne (Banned)
Un soldado de Dios

Quote:

I wonder when everyone is going to realize you can't protect yourselves against crazy people.
How about 2 police officers in each school? Is that really an irrational request?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 AM #30
Spiral_Out
Airplanes > Treadmills

Quote:
How about 2 police officers in each school? Is that really an irrational request?
I think if it weren't, it would have been done already.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 AM #31
26bps
Fluent in Sarcasm

Quote:
The problem is that these are such freak occurrences that putting a police officer in every school, every day, is a huge waste of resources. My school, at least, has a police officer who we share with 2 other High Schools in the area. But even if he were around 24/7, would it really matter? If he's not in the classroom when the hostage taking starts, he's as useful as the cops who show up 5 minutes later.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 AM #32
XOne (Banned)
Un soldado de Dios

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26bps
The problem is that these are such freak occurrences that putting a police officer in every school, every day, is a huge waste of resources. My school, at least, has a police officer who we share with 2 other High Schools in the area. But even if he were around 24/7, would it really matter? If he's not in the classroom when the hostage taking starts, he's as useful as the cops who show up 5 minutes later.
Well, if it happens like Columbine where they just walk down the hallways randomly shooting people, there is someone who can professionally return fire.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:57 AM #33
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Well, if it happens like Columbine where they just walk down the hallways randomly shooting people, there is someone who can professionally return fire.

he would probably be the first target...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:08 AM #34
Spiral_Out
Airplanes > Treadmills

Quote:
Everyone has heard the saying "Make something idiot-proof, and the world will make a better idiot." This applies to crazy people as well. If I were crazy and I wanted to shoot up a school, there's not a damn thing you could do to stop me. You could actually put a SWAT team in every school, and I promise you I would still be able to take a classroom full of hostages.

If we want to make our schools safer, we need to focus on prevention, not cessation, of these events. How do we do that? I have no idea. If someone had a feasible idea, we would be doing it right now.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:18 AM #35
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

If you put a gun in the desk, couldn't the kid just take it? That just opens up more oppurtunities for shootings since not every kid can get firearms on their own (i.e. parents etc.).

EDIT - Sorry, if somebody brought this up already, I didn't really read the thread.

Last edited by careyman_462 : 10-06-2006 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:26 AM #36
Violation

My assumption is that the gun would have to be on the teachers person, or in secure location.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:07 AM #37
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Sooo, the argument against this is - we're afraid a teacher won't be able to pull the trigger, AND if they do they won't shoot accurately? That's all you people have?

I figure, why not let them carry guns - make them get the required certifications for a CCW and make them qualify every 2 months or so they wish to bring it in the school. That at least helps solve 1 of two dillemas we have here. As for them being too scared to shoot - well I don't think there is much you can do about that one. If they think they'd be too scared to shoot, I doubt they'd want to carry the thing anyway.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 AM #38
sk8paint68
Kill 'em all

is this replacing the padle!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:12 AM #39
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Or

b) armed teacher engages a shooter, kills 3 kids in another room from rounds going through the walls like paper, shooter kills 10 on purpose, blah blah blah...
Sorry this kinda shows your ignorance on how self defence rounds work. You figure teachers/staff would be mandated to carry fragnable rounds. This is a round that can punch thru flesh, but when it comes in contact with a more solid object like drywall it shatters apart without going thru more than 1/4" (one side)

Or they would carry "glazers" this is a shot shell with the shot suspended in a teflon gel. Does HUGE dammage to internal organs but is incapable of going thru 1/4" drywall.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM #40
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
The supreme court, 3 times now, has stated that police are not mandated to protect the individul, only the public at large. That means they are not responsible for your personal saftey.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 AM #41
Spiral_Out
Airplanes > Treadmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear
Sorry this kinda shows your ignorance on how self defence rounds work. You figure teachers/staff would be mandated to carry fragnable rounds. This is a round that can punch thru flesh, but when it comes in contact with a more solid object like drywall it shatters apart without going thru more than 1/4" (one side)

Or they would carry "glazers" this is a shot shell with the shot suspended in a teflon gel. Does HUGE dammage to internal organs but is incapable of going thru 1/4" drywall.
You completely ignored the last half of my post, and every post I made afterwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynTek
Sooo, the argument against this is - we're afraid a teacher won't be able to pull the trigger, AND if they do they won't shoot accurately? That's all you people have?
So did you.

All a shooter would have to do is gun down the teacher first, which would be easy... It's called the element of surprise. Unless a teacher was trained to draw on every person who opened their classroom door, they're not going to stand a snowflakes chance in hell of shooting first, especially if the gun is locked up in their desk.

YOU AREN'T SAFE ANYWHERE! There is nothing you can do about it, it's part of life. Just be glad these kids aren't smart/rich/evil enough to do **** like McVeigh or the nutcases in the middle east.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:45 AM #42
Deceptiwave
Built to Endure

The idea of the teacher being armed may be enough of a deterent than the weapon itself.
Its the same with cities that have CC laws. If the citizens can legally carry a concealed weapon, the crime rates are lower than the cities that ban CC weapons.
If a criminal thinks there is a chance you may fight back, he most likey wont attack.
If teachers are armed, a person may think twice about entering a school that can defend itself.
God Bless The Man That Gets In My Way...
Lift Hard. Die Strong.