The True Flaw of America - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 PM #22
MrTerddddd (Banned)
 
MrTerddddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
MrTerddddd is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerNinja
Don't forget Japanese internment. They never teach that one in school....
They teach it at my school..
MrTerddddd is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 PM #23
BunkerNinja
 
 
BunkerNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
BunkerNinja is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak907
or how about the native alaskan internment, bet you didnt know that even happened.
Actually I didn't, because I wasn't taught it.......

Details?
BunkerNinja is offline  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 PM #24
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV
 
I love Impulses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Happy Hour
I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR55
All great nations went through this phase. Ours just happened recently, last 200 years opposed to 800-1000 like most other nations.
The phase hasn't ended.
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Why We Drink

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I love Impulses is offline  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM #25
AR55
conch shell warrior
 
AR55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
AR55 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
The phase hasn't ended.
All the better.
AR55 is offline  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 PM #26
budseligsucks
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hey guys, sorry I was away and unable to respond. However, I think the issue is that we don't really reconcile these facts with our ideals. The standard of patriotism in this country is to believe unquestioningly that America is the greatest nation on earth, and I think that's wrong. For example, Germany has done better reconciling its horrific past. Mein Kampf is available at every public library, and is unrestricted. German public schools teach the facts about the holocaust, yet when it comes to the Alamo, the common myth is that it was an event of patriotic Americans standing up for America that were killed by the ruthless Mexican army, when in fact we were far worse aggressors.

I'm not trying to make any big point here, I just think it's something we should think about. And I'm not trying to preach here, nor am I claiming this is my idea. I heard it on NPR first.

Also, note that the things that I said in my original post were examples. Of course there are countless other examples of Americans betraying their ideals, those are just the things that came to mind.

Last edited by budseligsucks : 10-05-2006 at 11:51 PM.
budseligsucks is offline  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 PM #27
budseligsucks
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
oh and Japanese Internment, that was basically we put all the Japanese immigrants on the west coast in concentration camps because we believed them to be a security threat. Turns out the conditions in the camps were amazingly bad, and japanese-americans were no less likely to commit treason than other Americans.
budseligsucks is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 AM #28
BunkerNinja
 
 
BunkerNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
BunkerNinja is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
We all knew that. The point was that it is not taught in schools.
BunkerNinja is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:02 AM #29
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile
 
SynTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nation of Joe
SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I learned that in school.
__________________
You can't buy happiness. So steal it.
SynTek is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 AM #30
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by budseligsucks
yet when it comes to the Alamo, the common myth is that it was an event of patriotic Americans standing up for America that were killed by the ruthless Mexican army, when in fact we were far worse aggressors.

that discription in and of itself is fairly loaded.

I would classify the Texans that took, and tried to hold the Alamo more as Revolutionaries, than agressors.
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 AM #31
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile
 
SynTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nation of Joe
SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Yea, it's kinda hard to look at 200 odd men faching off against 6,000 or so as being the "agressors". I guess those pesky greeks were they agressors when they faced the persians at thermopylae.
__________________
You can't buy happiness. So steal it.
SynTek is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:23 AM #32
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynTek
Yea, it's kinda hard to look at 200 odd men faching off against 6,000 or so as being the "agressors". I guess those pesky greeks were they agressors when they faced the persians at thermopylae.

exactly, at one point or another it's all semantics
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 AM #33
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile
 
SynTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nation of Joe
SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I'm actually starting to wonder if *anything* ANYBODY says actually makes sense.
__________________
You can't buy happiness. So steal it.
SynTek is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:28 AM #34
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynTek
I'm actually starting to wonder if *anything* ANYBODY says actually makes sense.

rarely,

but there is that occasional gem.

meh, I blame television.
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:49 AM #35
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.
 
scumquat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the Hole
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by budseligsucks
Hey guys, sorry I was away and unable to respond. However, I think the issue is that we don't really reconcile these facts with our ideals. The standard of patriotism in this country is to believe unquestioningly that America is the greatest nation on earth, and I think that's wrong. For example, Germany has done better reconciling its horrific past. Mein Kampf is available at every public library, and is unrestricted. German public schools teach the facts about the holocaust, yet when it comes to the Alamo, the common myth is that it was an event of patriotic Americans standing up for America that were killed by the ruthless Mexican army, when in fact we were far worse aggressors.

I'm not trying to make any big point here, I just think it's something we should think about. And I'm not trying to preach here, nor am I claiming this is my idea. I heard it on NPR first.
So what exactly is your point? That America isn't perfect? Congratulations, sometime around the 5th or 6th grade, most people come to the realization that America isn't perfect. Thank goodness we have NPR around to make this clear to the general public.

I think the real issue for this forum is: When will people realize that neither Canada nor France are perfect?
__________________
A is A. It is what it is.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
scumquat1 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 AM #36
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1
So what exactly is your point? That America isn't perfect? Congratulations, sometime around the 5th or 6th grade, most people come to the realization that America isn't perfect. Thank goodness we have NPR around to make this clear to the general public.

I think the real issue for this forum is: When will people realize that neither Canada nor France are perfect?

thou shalt not speakth ill of Canada,

thier beer is stronger, so thier women tend to look prettier.
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 AM #37
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.
 
scumquat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the Hole
 has been a member for 10 years
That's true. I've seen some pretty good lookin' strippers in Canadialand.
__________________
A is A. It is what it is.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
scumquat1 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM #38
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1
That's true. I've seen some pretty good lookin' strippers in Canadialand.

if we are working comparative politics based off of strippers...

Sweden Wins.

No joke.
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 PM #39
Adema3412
Give me fiction
 
Adema3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga652001
if we are working comparative politics based off of strippers...

Sweden Wins.

No joke.
And when you add in the nude saunas it is a landslide.
__________________
I can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized
discipline. But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 04:31 PM #40
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!
 
Wango_Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NYC
Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR55
All great nations went through this phase. Ours just happened recently, last 200 years opposed to 800-1000 like most other nations.
qft

not our fault that most countries amount to nothing
__________________
"Originally posted by §Galactus§if i had a horse, i would put armor on it. and i would wear armor, and ride around collecting taxes and tributes from the serfs."

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed


I know, right?
__________________
Wango_Tango is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:22 PM #41
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure
 
StellarKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lost...In a Lost World
StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1
That's true. I've seen some pretty good lookin' strippers in Canadialand.
Canada has had at least on Playmate a year for the past 30 years (I think). Canadian women = *drool*
__________________
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:54 PM #42
ibmexican (Banned)
 
ibmexican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPB_Bubbles
I'm so down.
For real.
ibmexican is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump