Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM #22
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22
No it's not.
Yes it is. Its a common expression through east asia to mean "How are you", since food is a central part of asian culture.

Its kinda like the greeting "How is the weather?" or "Hows your mum?". There are greetings in the form of a redundant question that when translated literaly, they loose there intended meaning.

And, don't correct me when your wrong. I don't have alot of free time, so its a bit irritating to have to correct your errors.

nick
Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 PM #23
andrewlax120 (Banned)
^DEALS SAUCE ALL DAY^

andrewlax120 is playing at Living Legends III
andrewlax120 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
andrewlax120 supports Team VICIOUS
President Ahmadinejad is the ruler of Iran. The comments of him having hatred for the Jewish people is entirley acceptable for the iranian people beleive themselves to be a part of the aryan nation. They beleived that as the peoples of the persian empire migrated northwest they became the tuetonic tribes of germany. They idolizes both the membeers of the persian empire and the tuetonic tribes of germany, who were so powerful that not even rome could defeat them.
this is no joke.
the do hate jews.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM #24
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid

TESlight'emupTES donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga652001
well being an Arab Network, they can probably translate farsi/muslim/whatever they speak in iran better than we can...
They can probably also distort it so we don't really know what's up.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM #25
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft
Yes it is. Its a common expression through east asia to mean "How are you", since food is a central part of asian culture.
No, it's not. The only time you would say "have you eaten" in japanese is if you were actually wondering whether or not they have eaten. East asian languages are nothing alike. It may be so in China or Korea, just not japanese. Of the main japanese greetings, the only one that is not good morning, good day, or good night is the word "genki" which literally means "origional chi(spirit)", or "in good spirits". Nothing to do with food.
Quote:
And, don't correct me when your wrong. I don't have alot of free time, so its a bit irritating to have to correct your errors.
Considering I'm fluent in the language, have lived in Japan, and am dating a Japanese chick you shouldn't have to worry about correcting my "errors" in japanese. That would be like a japananese person correcting your "errors" in english.

www.gunfacts.info
Old 10-05-2006, 08:56 PM #26
Ghostfire (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES
They can probably also distort it so we don't really know what's up.
Do all christians believe arabs are out to get them?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:19 PM #27
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfire
Do all arabs believe they should kill people outside of their religion.

Just as stupid a question - huh?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 AM #28
Paintballin_Dan
New Earth Army

Quote:
The most infamous quote, "Israel must be wiped off the map", is the most distorted piece of news journalism you'd expect to see from the New York Times and other media outlets.

In his October 2005 speech, President Tom never used the word "map" or the term "wiped off". According to Farsi-language experts like Juan Cole and even right-wing services like MEMRI, what he actually said was "this regime that is occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time."
How is that any less threatening?

I could also point out other things that are slightly ambiguous in your post, but ill save that for another day when its not 12:30am.

11B1P
"Another ****ty day in the Double 'A"

"Originally posted by Dr Chewy: 92% of ST can't even spell simple words correctly. The chance of them grasping quantum mechanics is impossible."
Old 10-06-2006, 11:03 AM #29
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22
Considering I'm fluent in the language, have lived in Japan, and am dating a Japanese chick you shouldn't have to worry about correcting my "errors" in japanese. That would be like a japananese person correcting your "errors" in english
I'm happy to correct you: Shokuji O Sumasema****a Ki

A Japanese greeting that directly translates as "Have you Eaten?"

True, its more obscure for Japan, but its the standard greeting in China, and especially Singapore.
Regardless, if you are really familiar with Japanese, then you must also be familar with the colorful expressions, and analogies they use that don't translate directly.

That was my whole point. As such, you would have to agree with me that "off the map" is a resonable english equivalent of the Iranian expression "removed from time"..

Nick
Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM #30
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft
I'm happy to correct you: Shokuji O Sumasema****a Ki

A Japanese greeting that directly translates as "Have you Eaten?"

True, its more obscure for Japan, but its the standard greeting in China, and especially Singapore.
It's not used in Japan as a greeting, you're probably right about china/signapore.
Quote:
Regardless, if you are really familiar with Japanese, then you must also be familar with the colorful expressions, and analogies they use that don't translate directly.
I agree 100% with your main point. There are things that we would translate into a certain different set of words that hold the same meaning in our language. For example
"uwasa o sureba kage" literally means "if you tell a rumor theres a shadow", but we would translate it as "speak of the devil and he appears".

Another one would be "asa meshi mae" which means "before breakfast", but would be translated as "piece of cake".

No doubt arabic is full of these kinds of word patterns as well, so ghostfire, or tac5alive, or whoever he is is wrong once again.
Quote:
That was my whole point. As such, you would have to agree with me that "off the map" is a resonable english equivalent of the Iranian expression "removed from time"..

Nick
Yah, I do.

www.gunfacts.info
Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 PM #31
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid

Quote:
The Muslim religion is a violent, deceitful one with no aim but to destroy "infadels". They don't like Christians or Jews because our religion is the truth and they can't handle it.

Short, sweet, to the point. End of story.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:27 PM #32
not_manbot_revenge

Quote:
The Muslim religion is a violent, deceitful one with no aim but to destroy "infadels". They don't like Christians or Jews because our religion is the truth and they can't handle it.

you're truly a bigoted idiot.

AIM=angryjacks hit me up
Old 10-06-2006, 09:32 PM #33
Bobeo
-Life Is Good-

Quote:

You're dumb. Anyone that believes in such broad generalizations is a moron.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:04 PM #34
Wisso

Quote:

There should seriously be an age limit on the forum
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 PM #35
Tac-5 Alive (Banned)

Quote:

spoken like a true *******
Old 10-07-2006, 04:49 PM #36
Hose Factory
Trigger Happy

Wow not sure if I should be impressed or depressed with that display of stupidity.
Not all Muslims are crazied and filled with hate of Christians and those of the Jewish faith.
There were Muslims that help rebuild the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.
True Muslims reguard Jews and Christians as brothers in faith.
Islam teaches that the God of the Jews, Christians, Muslims is the same.
(some say each faith was created for each of God's people and a covent for each).
Some Muslims are more familiar with the Bible then most Christians.

True there seems to be alot of resentment between the Christian and Jews from Muslims, nearly the same as between the Muslim groups (shia and sunni).

What abot the crazy "Christian" woman protesting at soldiers funerals?
I think she preaches alot of hate.

Stupidity should cause pain.... wait sometimes it does, just wish it happened more often and hurt worse.

"Originally posted by gomipile: PbNation n. A web site where, on any given evening, one may find approximately 500 paintball enthusiasts discussing the sport, and 1500 teenagers calling each other gay."
Old 10-07-2006, 05:13 PM #37
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose Factory
What abot the crazy "Christian" woman protesting at soldiers funerals?
I think she preaches alot of hate.
She promply gets smacked down too. It's pretty easy to realize that she's not the mainstream, because so many other christians instantly speak out against her.

www.gunfacts.info
Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 PM #38
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose Factory
Not all Muslims are crazied and filled with hate of Christians and those of the Jewish faith.
So, even though their HOLY BOOK tells them to kill nonbelievers (2:216 and 217, 4:89, 9:5 just to name a few...), they're not violent? That's interesting.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 PM #39
wanky
Dirty Needles RIP

Quote:
So, even though their HOLY BOOK tells them to kill nonbelievers (2:216 and 217, 4:89, 9:5 just to name a few...), they're not violent? That's interesting.
One of my greatest prophets tells me to smite my neighbor that trims the hair around his temples but I'm not jumping all over that am I? Furthermore in my holy books I am told I am fully endowed to take "inferior"[depending on your translation "infidel" can fit] slaves. I am also allowed to have multiple wives. I'm also told God loves the smell of a burning bull at a sacraficial alter.

Your ****ing stupid. I hope one day you have the decency to do some neutral comparative relegion study if your going to continue dragging **** like that out.

This thread is hilarious. Translations are always rough but does that mean automatically he feels the way the alternate translation demonstrates? His goverment has been caught funding Hezbollah which took Israeli soldiers as prisoners, shot rockets into Haifa, and marches on Israeli flags. He wants to "erase them from this page of time", your right thats clearly much less threatening . I'm sure you can throw a few different words in some crazy dialect of German into Mein Kumpf and that will sound less threatening too but it's not like it changed Hitler's actions. Actions are a hell of alot more important then words.

To say that a few off translations erase any actions he has made since we had the wrong idea about the technicality of what he said is absurd.

What a ridiculous claim.

-Deen
Old 10-08-2006, 12:54 AM #40
andrewlax120 (Banned)
^DEALS SAUCE ALL DAY^

andrewlax120 is playing at Living Legends III
andrewlax120 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
andrewlax120 supports Team VICIOUS
word
Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 AM #41
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
Ahhh, context. It's you're friend. Farsi, like Arabic is a very poetic language. Only the ignorant lower classes speak with the sort of frankness we come to expect of Americans. THe middle east is a place where you never say exactly what you mean, and thus things must be taken into context. Removing a regime from the pages of time means, quite literally, to get rid of (or wipe) Israel (the regime in question) from history. Now, here is where the fun part about context comes into play. Given our understanding that history is written by the victors, one can safely assume that an attemped ammedment to history regarding the status of Israel's existance could only come about by besting them in combat. While he literally did not say "wipe them off the map" he said what is essentially the exact same thing, just with better language.

Then the bit about "new wave of morality". Given the statement of "this new wave of morality shall erase the stigma in the countenance of the islamic world". That can be taken several ways. Literally it would mean a series of virtious actions should remove the unpleasant mark on the face of the islamic world. Once again, given the context of the situation, and Iran hating Israel with a vengange we can safely assume Israel is the stigma being spoken of. Moreover, one can also assume that a series of virtious actions could be as simple as the ethnic clensing of the region though a number of means (given the Isralie's status in the region as being godless savages, distroying them would be considered virtious in the region)

And finally you have "The real cure for the conflict is the elimination of the Zionist regime, but there should be an immediate ceasefire first." I don't see how this is even questionable. That trasnlation is just as bad as the first. He says the first step is a ceasefire, followed by eleminating Israel.

So, we can stop with the sleezy translations because apparently literal ones aren't any better - are they?