Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 PM #22
MurderDeathKill
# Pissed Off Today: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen
Yep.

I couldn't find the verse, but I've heard it mentioned several times. Even at my church.
Mentioning don't count... I need a verse Sorry...
Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 PM #23
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderDeathKill
Mentioning don't count... I need a verse Sorry...
I know, I tried to find one. I'll keep looking.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 PM #24
maul3r
Lux Aeterna

Good video, but it proves nothing. We have solid information about how generally a phone is made, we do not have solid information about god. No one can ether prove that there is a god or there isnt a god
Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 PM #25
njc282
Rise

which is why you choose to believe, and religion never gets anywhere in here same with evolution; all the arguments on the subjects are circular.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:26 PM #26
MurderDeathKill
# Pissed Off Today: 2

I think the bottom line is, while this guy brings up some very good points, he hardly proves that God exists. Whether it's possible or not to do so is irrelevant to this thread -- what you or I think is irrelevant to this thread -- the man does not *prove* the existance of God. End transmission.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 PM #27
njc282
Rise

Quote:
I think the bottom line is, while this guy brings up some very good points, he hardly proves that God exists. Whether it's possible or not to do so is irrelevant to this thread -- what you or I think is irrelevant to this thread -- the man does not *prove* the existance of God. End transmission.
well of course, he's just trying to give his point of view to others, to maybe open their mind up to different options other than the "your here for nothing" which most people seem to enjoy for some reason. but yeah he doesn't flat out prove anything.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:33 PM #28
OMG_WTF
'crowd favorite'

OMG_WTF is a Supporting Member
i lvoe the very nature of debate.. a few things.. many of you assumed that b/c i posted this or others agreed that is was interesting, you assume we are all in total agreement with the guy.. as i said, at the very least, i think it is an interesting point of view.. i think my favorite part of the entire thing was about can a phone feel.. how ever you feel o the subject, the qualities he listed as things a phone cannot do are all excellent.. i say if religious people are really pushing those type of values then i encourage them.. and also, notice he never mentioned islam or anyting specific at all (besides the marquee).. again, as i said, not necessarily proof that god exists, but interesting none the less..
[Insert HK support and Smart Parts threats here]
Originally posted by D0ughB0y
Try using the search, you waste of bandwidth.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:36 PM #29
Slick57 (Banned)
Sex-Panther

Slick57 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
the watchmaker argument is one of the least reputable arguments i have heard.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:03 AM #30
someone stole jesus

The guy in the video made some interesting comments. I don't agree with them however.

As someone else stated, LG mobile phones can't evolve in the fashion living creatures do. In my opinion, we're not the biproduct of intelligent design, we're the biproduct of several hundred thousand years of evolution.

The most interesting thing about the video to me was the fact that it was a white British man in traditional Islamic attire.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 AM #31
OMG_WTF
'crowd favorite'

^^what about a feature which detects and automatically updates to newer software..

and that was the whole point of his arguement.. as complex as cell phones are, they are infinitely inferior to a human.. what resolution do our eyes have? lol..

my favorite analogy, are the people are like cars.. the body is the car.. the brain is the driver.. in the same way an engine does, we intake fuel and covnert it to energy.. expelling unusable byproduct.. like an engine, we are basically a long tube with a continues opening thru the entire device.. like a car, the body provides mobility.. like a car, it can be damaged and repaired, to a point.. the main difference is, that as people, we cannot exit our vehicle an enter another at any given moment.. the driver and vehicle are fused.. inseparable.. i guess the main point is, you are not your body.. you are only your brain..

oh, also, if you take good care of your car and make sure to do all proper preventative maintainence.. it will usually have a long working life.. tho there are lemons.. and also you have to see that no matter how well a vehicle is taken care of, it will, eventually, wear out..
Old 10-01-2006, 01:44 AM #32
Hirophant0
Historian at large

Hirophant0 is an NCPA player
Hirophant0 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingerXL
Someone posted this a while ago. It really makes me appreciate the banana!
Not that video........but you still must explain your signature to me
Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 AM #33
agentdowell
It is inevitable!

agentdowell is a Supporting Member
Quote:
1. What's the distinction between living, and unliving things? at what point in the random chaos did one collection of matter get designated the ability to evolve, while the other collection of matter stagnated?

2. Well, we can see complexity, which seems to contradict the process of entropy in a chaotic system. That's indicitive of an outside force acting to alter the course of said chaos... that's as much as we can take away from complex order, though. There's nothing about anatomy that can teach us too much about the designer of our anatomy... or maybe there is, but often that's subjective, kinda like poetry.
1. I think about the term 'life' much like I think about the term 'intelligence'. Christians hold that only man has intelligence and all other animals have only instinct. I hold that there are definite levels of intelligence, we see variation among our own species. So, why not others as well? In terms of life, I hold that through the evolutionary process there is a point at which the substance ceases to be merely undergoing chemical reactions and begins to follow a pattern of self-sustaining processes. According to science, the definition of 'life' is described by the 'characteristics of life'. So If you have any question as to whether something is 'alive' or not, consult them.

2. Patterns erupt from chaos like ash from a volcano. The patterns exist because at the most basic level, every interaction is dictated by a set of rules. Any system that is governed by rules, no matter how large, will always fall into recognizable and predictable patterns given enough time.
"Only thing knowledge I have gained from this thread is that agentdowell is kicking everyones ***."
- tonysk83
"BYAHHHH!!! Agentdowell owns this thread now!"
- I love Impulses
Look past the flesh. Look through the soft gelatin of these dull cow eyes and see your enemy.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:00 PM #34
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
Quote:
1. What's the distinction between living, and unliving things? at what point in the random chaos did one collection of matter get designated the ability to evolve, while the other collection of matter stagnated?
If it can reproduce, use energy, and use it's environment, it's living.

Quote:
2. Well, we can see complexity, which seems to contradict the process of entropy in a chaotic system. That's indicitive of an outside force acting to alter the course of said chaos... that's as much as we can take away from complex order, though. There's nothing about anatomy that can teach us too much about the designer of our anatomy... or maybe there is, but often that's subjective, kinda like poetry.
This is just the same argument that evolution disobeys the second law of thermodynamics. The fact is, it doesn't. The earth has the sun as an input on energy into the system and that is the basis, or the fuel that lets evolution occur, not an invisible person.

Consider how gravity affects the earth. Pebbles on beaches apparently align themselves in order from largest to smallest, as if by design because it's clearly a pattern, but gravity does it all.

Last edited by SlingerXL : 10-01-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 PM #35
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant0
but you still must explain your signature to me
Ancient chinese secret.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:53 PM #36
OMG_WTF
'crowd favorite'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingerXL
If it can reproduce, use energy, and use it's environment, it's living.

This is just the same argument that evolution disobeys the second law of thermodynamics. The fact is, it doesn't. The earth has the sun as an input on energy into the system and that is the basis, or the fuel that lets evolution occur, not an invisible person.

Consider how gravity affects the earth. Pebbles on beaches apparently align themselves in order from largest to smallest, as if by design because it's clearly a pattern, but gravity does it all.
what about AIDS..? AIDS virus is not a living organism but reproduces.. im sure energy is involved in the cell detruction process.. and whats your definition of "use its enviorment"?..
Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 PM #37
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
what about AIDS..? AIDS virus is not a living organism but reproduces..
No, in general, viruses are considered living organisms. They don't fit in some of the more tighter definitions of life, but most biologists would classify them as living beings due to their reproductive capacity, and their genes mades of DNA/RNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
and whats your definition of "use its enviorment"?..
Response to stimuli basically.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 PM #38
superwaffleman2
Charlies in the trees!!11

Well the first little thing that ever evolved into anything had to come from somewhere. It is perfectly possible that evolution existed with god at the same time and that the bible was just way off.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:32 PM #39
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Viruses do not reproduce on their own, and they do not have their own metabolism. They are therefore not organisms
Old 10-01-2006, 10:52 PM #40
agentdowell
It is inevitable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazbullet
Viruses do not reproduce on their own, and they do not have their own metabolism. They are therefore not organisms
Ok? They still exhibit enough characteristics to be considered life by many a viable authority.
"Only thing knowledge I have gained from this thread is that agentdowell is kicking everyones ***."
- tonysk83
- I love Impulses
Look past the flesh. Look through the soft gelatin of these dull cow eyes and see your enemy.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 PM #41
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdowell
Ok? They still exhibit enough characteristics to be considered life by many a viable authority.
...such as? In all my experience viruses have hda their own catergory
Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 PM #42
agentdowell
It is inevitable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazbullet
...such as? In all my experience viruses have hda their own catergory
People, institutions, groups of small animals. Do your own research.
- tonysk83
- I love Impulses