Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:27 PM #64
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuliveudie
Ehh, see in places such as New York City, fast food does make people fat. In NYC, people are constantly rushing around looking for quick meals and quick transportation. Therefore, McDonalds makes for a cheap and easy solution for their problem.
Then that's their choice to put money and time in front of their health. Health is not everyone's number one concern!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM #65
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

Wenuliveudie plays in the PSP
Wenuliveudie donated to help Peyton Trent
Wenuliveudie helped look for balloons
Wenuliveudie plays in the APPA D5 division
Granted. I am not trying to defend their choices. I am merely trying to give alittle more insight on why some decide to go that route.

This is a debate that has been going on for hundreds of years. How much should government "interfere/control" [with] our lives? Should they have a say on sical issues? If so, how much of a say is warranted? Etc.

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 PM #66
MurderDeathKill
# Pissed Off Today: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuliveudie
Ehh, see in places such as New York City, fast food does make people fat. In NYC, people are constantly rushing around looking for quick meals and quick transportation. Therefore, McDonalds makes for a cheap and easy solution for their problem.

I think a better way to solve this problem would be to offer lower tax incentives to those who offer non-artifical transfat products. However, I do not believe that is possible, as the Health Code does not exactly coincide with the legislature. In order for such a program, it would have to work its way through the City Council/Legislature.

I actually discussed similar issues in my APUSH class today. However, they dealt more with laissez faire economics and such. Kinda cool though.
Well at first I was angry, but now I double-read, and you're making sense. I'll disagree that NYC + McDonalds = Fat, though. If anything, NYC is the place where McDonald's food would have the least effect.

*except*

for the fact that trans-fats are the only ones that your body can't break down. So maybe, for NYC people, the trans-fats are the only ones they really have to worry about. Still no reason for a ban... I like your idea of tax regulation. That and public education are two good ways to do the job.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 PM #67
Sankarihauta (Banned)
THE ORIGINAL DOCSHTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
On that "Supersize Me" movie, an average New Yorker walked seven miles a day.
Was it really that high? I remember it being like 2 or something.

Anyway, as I said before, I don't give a crap about health, it's a matter of ****ing principle.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:39 AM #68
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

Wenuliveudie plays in the PSP
Wenuliveudie donated to help Peyton Trent
Wenuliveudie helped look for balloons
Wenuliveudie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderDeathKill
Well at first I was angry, but now I double-read, and you're making sense. I'll disagree that NYC + McDonalds = Fat, though. If anything, NYC is the place where McDonald's food would have the least effect.

*except*

for the fact that trans-fats are the only ones that your body can't break down. So maybe, for NYC people, the trans-fats are the only ones they really have to worry about. Still no reason for a ban... I like your idea of tax regulation. That and public education are two good ways to do the job.
I did not mean to imply that "NYC + McDonalds = Fat". What I really meant to say was that it can create an environment in which it becomes much easier to get fat. To some it will make them fat, to others it will have no effect.

I am actually going to NYC in about 30 minutes...

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 AM #69
ssa
Pump Paintball 4 Life

Just another way the gov butts into our lives....u do know that they already regulate the amount of water per flush in ur toilet at home....call me a cynic but I say let ppl smoke n let em eat....they pay into social security n dont live long enough to enjoy the benefits=more money in the system for ppl who actually care about their bodies and lives.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM #70
paintballpimp092
Si vis pacem, para bellum

paintballpimp092 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballpimp092 plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballpimp092 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Freak 98
Sounds good to me. McDonald's is gross and obesity is a huge epidemic. Basically just killing two birds with one stone...?
McDonalds is not the ONLY reason people are fat in this country, stop placing the blame on just the food we eat these days.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:14 PM #71
citywokchinefoo
I am jesus

citywokchinefoo is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdowell
citywokchinefoo - You hypocrite!
How am I a hypocrite?
"Originally posted by N$$paintball: i once got a boner in public.......no survivors"
Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 PM #72
southernkid7892

there is so much fat in mcdonalds food that it makes me sick to eat it. but poeple should be alowed to eat what they want.
that doesn't make sense you ****ing inbred, you're either smoking hot or you are not smoking hot.
that's like saying your pet is kind-of a dog.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:15 PM #73
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
As long as people can easily see that there is a high trans fat content which leads to heart disease, and they still choose to eat it then that's their choice. They could eat twigs and forks for all I care as long as health risks aren't hidden.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 PM #74
hmmmDonut
Life fails **

hmmmDonut is a Supporting Member
I agree with the city actually. To bad it won't succeed. Those lawsuits are probably already being filed.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM #75
Nevetsman (Banned)

Everyone's making a big deal about this, but all the city is saying to restaurants is fry your foods in a diffrerent type of oil... I used to manage a mcd's and they've already looked into doing this before on their own. No restaurant would have to close or stop serving any product. They'd just have to use a healthier cooking oil.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:53 PM #76
jasonlvandyke
JasonLVanDyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevetsman
Everyone's making a big deal about this, but all the city is saying to restaurants is fry your foods in a diffrerent type of oil... I used to manage a mcd's and they've already looked into doing this before on their own. No restaurant would have to close or stop serving any product. They'd just have to use a healthier cooking oil.

Thats not the point. The point is that people in New York are allowing the government there to slowly but surely create a nanny state. Does anybody really believe that McDonalds food is healthy? Nobody goes in there who is on Jenny Craig. I am ashamed that some of the people that push for idiotic laws like this call themselves Republicans - as in the party of limited government.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:41 AM #77
agdharry
keepin it real

i like mcdonalds, but im not fat. this is awesome that theyre doing this, will it spread nation-wide?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 AM #78
jasonlvandyke
JasonLVanDyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdharry
i like mcdonalds, but im not fat. this is awesome that theyre doing this, will it spread nation-wide?
I hope not. I don't think the government has a right to tell me what foods are not good enough for me to eat. If I want to clog my arteries, that is my problem - not the governments.

We do NOT need a nanny state.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 PM #79
nyy

There's no way this will go through. The government has no power to enforce something like this without overstepping a little boundary we call the constitution.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:37 PM #80
Furious S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevetsman
If McDonalds changes their cooking oil ontheir own, I would have absolutely no problem at all with that. It's a matter of principle here, the government should not have the right to tell a private business what to do.

"Originally posted by p8ntgurl
I only have 1 screwed up kid out of 4. That's not bad. "
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM #81
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat
Just think next up will be High Frucose Corn Syrup.... Kiss your Sugar Bomb cereal, 98 oz Mt. Dew, and all the rest good-bye.
Good, hopefully they do make companies use real sugar in things that require sugar.

This all comes down to greed of the buisnesses. Guess why companies like McDonalds and soda companies use these high fat, cheap oil, just because of that, they are cheap. High frutose corn syrup also is far cheaper then cane sugar, so they can make the big bucks. They don't care that it is just terrible for you. Guess what? Go to almost any other country and you won't find high frutose corn syrup in any soda or drinks, because they use cane sugar.

About time the government steps in to curb these big buisness *******s that are in it for the big profit. Hopefully maybe they can do something about the oil companies, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence economic, political, even spiritual is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
Old 10-03-2006, 09:29 PM #82
nyy

Yeah good. The government tells you what you can make and how you can make it. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:58 AM #83
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
Ugh, except that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, costs the medical system an incredible amount of money, and much of heart disease is caused by poor diets/health...

Yeah I guess it's not that bad a problem. Kind of like how cancer is not that bad a problem.

You're right. They're solutions!

But, the statement that "X food makes me fat" is akin to shooting oneself intentionally and later claming it was all the bullet's fault.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM #84
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynTek
You're right. They're solutions!

But, the statement that "X food makes me fat" is akin to shooting oneself intentionally and later claming it was all the bullet's fault.
Quoted for Truth. I eat fast food fairly regularly and I can't even pinch my stomach. If you cant eat fast food responsibly, its your fault, not McD's. It won't go through, but the thought that it can even be proposed is astounding in my opinion. I enjoy food that is bad for you, and I make the choice to eat it, not the fast food companies.

Fast food companies, as a whole, advertise against other fast food companies. They dont encourage you to eat their food regularly, they just encourage you to eat their burgers over X company's burgers.

Last edited by chodeyg : 10-04-2006 at 04:30 PM.