Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM #1
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Talking The Ultimate Woodsball Backspin Barrel System MonsterSpin by Trails of Doom!

I've been using the Apex since they were first invented, and when BT decided to come out with the Apex 2, they contacted me to see if I wanted to try them out first! Of course, I was all over that, as I LOVE shooting "flat". I even showed how you can shoot AROUND bunkers at the end of this video.

I really liked the original length of the barrel for the first Apex 1 as it was only 10 inches total, and in the woods, when you are fighting between trees, a short barrel MATTERS. Course my old ZoomCam was so big to house the large high end camera inside, that the 14 inch worked fine on that...

But, I wanted MORE spin. The Apex 2 has more levels of ramp than the Apex 1, (both have 9 clicks, but the angle is different. If you set an Apex 1 at 5 clicks, it shoots the same as an Apex 2 at 4 clicks). So 9 clicks on the Apex 2 has more spin, but it is spinning up the paint in such a short distance that it varies shot to shot quite a bit. And you end up with more wingers than normal.

So I wanted a more consistent spin...

Around this time, Tippmann released their new foregrip style Flatline. Which was VERY short, and compact. And it had TWO settings (most people didn't realize you could easily flip it over to make it dive bomb). So I showed them that capability as well as it's distance ability in this video.

But, I wanted MORE... I wanted FLATTER shots... I wanted CRAZY Dive bombs...

So I took apart my Flatline and removed the shroud, and tape modded on the end my original Apex 2 tip! And I dubbed it the "MonsterSpin" barrel system. This is the best barrel I have ever used, and I have tried a TON of different barrels over the years!

I assumed like most of you, that it would just break paint, as putting that much stress on the ball would likely just break the shell in the barrel.

So I started testing. Here was my first test.

I was blown away, being able to shoot BEHIND bunkers at 60 feet away... Holy Cow!

Then I decided to try and push it as far as I could... shooting OVER 300fps, and using the flatline upside down (topspin) and the Apex 2 right side up full ramp (backspin) that would cause breaks... right?... I mean you are literally spinning the paint in two completely different directions in EVERY shot...

Here is that test.

Whoa... NO breaks at all!

So I decided to actually go play a few games with it... Lets see how it performs in REAL woodsball action... I took it to Paintball Junkeez in Cincinnati, and the refs, and players were shocked when they saw it, but they just stood and stared when they saw what it could do on the field! Shooting FLAT at 125-150 feet away! And being able to hit player BEHIND bunkers by dive bombing on their heads!

This thing spins paint so hard, it is like cheating! Because a player can be ducked down behind a bunker, and you can shoot right around the bunker and hit him, in only a few shots!

Well, after that, I decided to build a new ZoomCam enclosure that would fit on my MonsterSpin barrel, and I took it to a huge local scenario at Paintball Country this summer. The video from that day has gone viral. And the one shot kills across the field prove how valuable this barrel can be in the hands of an assassin!

I kept using it, game after game, it performed flawlessly. And the ability to change the flight path of the paint proved invaluable in situations where tree branches blocked my enemies from normal barrels flight paths.

Then winter hit, and honestly, I thought I would break paint in the cold with my MonsterSpin... So I went back to my J&J and Apex 2 tape modded on the end... And proceeded to have barrel break problems during my last few events. As the smaller bore size of a high end barrel in the cold is a bad idea... But, the flatline is a large bore barrel, hmm...

It is hard to buy good paint around here, and especially brightly colored paint (which is what I need for filming the games).

And I decided to try the MonsterSpin in the cold... So I pulled out a ton of different paints, and turned down my marker to cold weather playing fps. (which is under 250fps when temps are below freezing).

I had
Marbalizer (new) $50 a case
Formula 13 (6 months old) $55 a case
Xball Blaze woodsball camo (new) $39.99 a case
JT inertia (wal-mart paint 1 year old) $29.99 a case
Tournament paint (I forget what brand, at least 1 1/2 years old) $65.00
High end Evil (1 year old) $60.00

All of them looked good, and were not oblong or dimpled at all. They were all paints that met my "standard" of good paint. And the price point of these varied from $29 a case for the inertia to $65 for the tournament paint I can't remember the name of...

Interestingly, the tournament was the oldest by far, and yet it shot the best out of all of them!

I have my flatline set regular, and my Apex 2 tip at 4 clicks for all of these shots.

Well, enough of my yakking here it is at 115 feet away using Co2 on a remote line.

So, with a little bit of work, and a couple of low cost barrels (new style Foregrip Flatline $49, and the Apex 2 tip $35) running a Tippmann A-5 (mine was only $10 off craigslist!) you too can make a MonsterSpin barrel for yourself, and get long range shooting with the ability to curve paint like no one around has ever seen!

The MonsterSpin is an AMAZING barrel system, as it shoots flatter than any barrel on the market, uses REGULAR paintballs, and will strike fear into your opponents when they realize you can shoot double the distance they can WITH accuracy! (when using good paint)

And yes, if you buy good paint, and it hits something hard, it will break!

Last edited by FreeEnterprise : 02-13-2014 at 08:53 AM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM #2
FreeEnterprise

Took my MonsterSpin barrel out in the low 20's F this weekend. After my testing, I used the tournament paint I had left, and then Marbalizer.

It shot amazingly well! Check it out!

My Tipx using 12 grams couldn't handle the cold though... Got ONE good shot before it broke in the breech and then liquid co2 froze it up...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 AM #3
Mav
Paintburrets

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mav posts videos on PbNation
Mav plays in the APPA D5 division
Not a woodsballer, but this is awesome stuff dude.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM #4
Neocon

Shootin ropes there , that's all I play is woodsball , heck of a game there
Neocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM #5
FreeEnterprise

Thanks guys, glad you liked it!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM #6
FreeEnterprise

Got to use my MonsterSpin at Paintball Junkeez opening day on Saturday, and it was AWESOME!

Check it out!