PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 PM #1
MaxFactor
USN

MaxFactor is playing at Living Legends VI
Insight leaking from back cap screw after loctiting

Final Update: Sent the Insight off to BLAST. Apparently the solenoid o-rings were letting air through, which would explain the leak from the back cap. I have to give a huge thanks to Garrett (sp?) for fixing my Insight on really short notice. Insight got fixed in one day and overnighted back to Virginia Beach just in time for me to play this morning.

Original post:
Just brought my "new" Insight to the field for the first time today. I say "new" because it was anno'd by Pooty. Gassed up, initially would shoot once and bolt would stick forward and vent air out the back, bolt wouldn't fully reset at all after one shot. Took apart engine, found that the brass shut off was super stuck in the can. Popped it out and it wouldn't pop back in but the bolt stick issue seemed to be somewhat relieved. However it still leaked from the back cap. Removed back cap, tiny o-ring was greased but screw was not loctited. Luckily I have blue loctited with me, so I put some in. Still leaked, so I meticulously cleaned the threads and am now waiting for loctite to set. Waiting 30min, hopefully that will do. Any advice would be great.

Update:Foremost, I'll just say that I contacted Pooty and he was very supportive of resolving the issue. In the event that I can't come up with a fix I'll likely send it to BLAST on Monday. Anyway...

Loctite didn't resolve the back cap leaking. Tried some teflon tape, just to see if that would plug it and it seemed to keep leaking air so I would assume that it actually wasn't the back cap screw. It definitely seemed to be the screw initially but seemed to be coming from the back cap in general upon further inspection.

I just completely broke down the marker, found a large metal shaving inside of an air channel in the solenoid manifold (probably not part of the problem, but glad I found it nonetheless). Solenoid had a lot of grease, probably too much, so I cleaned and regreased it. Reinstalled the solenoid manifold with loctite and recleaned/loctited the back cap screw. I'm going to let the loctite cure overnight and not gas up the marker in the meantime. I'll air it up in the morning to see if that helped at all.

Last edited by MaxFactor : 08-30-2014 at 06:39 PM.
MaxFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 PM #2
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
The back cap screw doesn't go into any air holding area. So using loctite is only going to prevent the screw from coming undone and allowing the back cap to come loose. There is no phisical way the air is escaping from the back screw unless someone machined it into an air passage way. I have owned 5 Insight/Victus markers and none were machined into a air passage. If it is leaking from the back cap, then it is not seating correctly on the 1x4 mm o-ring or air is escaping from the rear air chamber that is always on holding the bolt back.
But it may not be coming from the back cap ...
I suspect there could be an issue with the sail o-rings since your bolt stuck forward ... change both of those 010s. I would also change all the 021 o-rings on the outside of the back of the engine, and make sure the Screws for the engine release button are tight. You will also need to make sure the back cap screw is tight or it will leak because it is not sealing properly.
Troubleshoot the issue ... look at the o-ring diagrams and try to figure out where the leak is coming from. It is not coming out the screw hole unless it was not machined correctly. I would think is much more likely an issue with an o-ring on the sail, back part of the engine or the seal with the back cap itself ... not a machining issue.
INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Trade/Sale Threads:
None Currently
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 PM #3
MaxFactor
USN

MaxFactor is playing at Living Legends VI
Thank you Big Papa Pink. Here I am, thinking the back cap screw actually seals in air. I found it odd that there wasn't an o-ring on it, guess that explains it. I'll go through and check the o-rings. Unfortunately, I don't have an o-ring kit so no extras. I'll have to order one, just in case. Thanks again for your input.
MaxFactor is offline   Reply With Quote