Insight leaking from back cap screw after loctiting
Final Update: Sent the Insight off to BLAST. Apparently the solenoid o-rings were letting air through, which would explain the leak from the back cap. I have to give a huge thanks to Garrett (sp?) for fixing my Insight on really short notice. Insight got fixed in one day and overnighted back to Virginia Beach just in time for me to play this morning.
Just brought my "new" Insight to the field for the first time today. I say "new" because it was anno'd by Pooty. Gassed up, initially would shoot once and bolt would stick forward and vent air out the back, bolt wouldn't fully reset at all after one shot. Took apart engine, found that the brass shut off was super stuck in the can. Popped it out and it wouldn't pop back in but the bolt stick issue seemed to be somewhat relieved. However it still leaked from the back cap. Removed back cap, tiny o-ring was greased but screw was not loctited. Luckily I have blue loctited with me, so I put some in. Still leaked, so I meticulously cleaned the threads and am now waiting for loctite to set. Waiting 30min, hopefully that will do. Any advice would be great.
Update:Foremost, I'll just say that I contacted Pooty and he was very supportive of resolving the issue. In the event that I can't come up with a fix I'll likely send it to BLAST on Monday. Anyway...
Loctite didn't resolve the back cap leaking. Tried some teflon tape, just to see if that would plug it and it seemed to keep leaking air so I would assume that it actually wasn't the back cap screw. It definitely seemed to be the screw initially but seemed to be coming from the back cap in general upon further inspection.
I just completely broke down the marker, found a large metal shaving inside of an air channel in the solenoid manifold (probably not part of the problem, but glad I found it nonetheless). Solenoid had a lot of grease, probably too much, so I cleaned and regreased it. Reinstalled the solenoid manifold with loctite and recleaned/loctited the back cap screw. I'm going to let the loctite cure overnight and not gas up the marker in the meantime. I'll air it up in the morning to see if that helped at all.
Last edited by MaxFactor : 08-30-2014 at 06:39 PM.