PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-01-2003, 10:02 PM #22
Aluminum Gerbil
SKrilla 4 Rilla

has been a member for 10 years
I know what timing is... When I lighten my carrier I'll have to re time it cause I'll be removing the carrier from the ram to avoid any shavings getting anywhere they shouldn't. I will then retime cause I'll have to put it back on, and I make sure I have the EXACT measurement. Im anal about stuff like that. And same goes for when marty works on it. I personally won't retime it, but marty will have to same as I did. Atleast that's what I figure. I use that nut to tighten against the carrier to hold it in place along with blue loctite. There's no way I can get the carrier off without moving that nut.

Gerbil
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2003, 10:37 PM #23
automagsrule
LOIC

oh, mine didn't hafta be retimed cuz that was the last stuff i messed with, so when i installed the new stuff i had no upgrades afterwards to retime it.

Aluminum Gerbil: how can I be doing all the wrong upgraes with only 2 stock parts left and only 1 of them unmodded?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 02-02-2003, 11:02 PM #24
Aluminum Gerbil
SKrilla 4 Rilla

The comment was just a joke. As opposed to doing things the easy way I install all my upgrades like a week apart from eachother so I usually end up undoing one of my upgrades just to put it back on five minutes later. SS braid sucks, but I like it better than macro. I need some QD's or something. After having my RM for over a year I finally drilled out my main reg as opposed to just having it capped. I upgraded my ram, and although I had the spring, I didn't install it till like 3 weeks later. I just do things backwards sometimes and I just meant that as a smart comment.

Gerbil
Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 PM #25
wadd

I think this is really a pretty poor topic... Not to flame, I owned BE guns for years. But you're really trying to compare apples and oranges here. How can you compare an electro to a cocker? They are completely different markers. Compare a Rainmaker to an angel, or a bushmaster, or impy. Sure BE was definitely going for the cocker look when they designed it, but looks is about all the 2 really have in common.

Sure your RM never needs to be timed, but neither does my angel. no electro does. So, saying that you don't have to time your marker isn't that big of a deal. Don't waste your time argueing over how a marker is designed. Having to be timed is a crucial part of it's design. Just like having a good battery is a crucial part of the RM's. Don't compare things like that. Every time you make a comment about having to get a cocker timed, just remember that you have to eventually go to wal-mart and buy a new battery.

If you want to compare 2 guns, compare ROF, how loud it is, how accurate it is with the same barrel, the operating pressure, LCD displays, size of the marker, air consumption, etc. Compare things that actually matter. I haven't seen any of these mentioned yet. But those are the biggest factors to consider when comparing 2 guns.

I've seen 2 arguments, and that's timing and chopping. That's been it. Those are 2 of the smallest details you could possibly discuss. Talk about something that matters. The fact that a cocker has to be timed does not make it any worse on the field. A merlin cocker operates at 95 psi, it does NOT chop paint. A cocker is an excellent marker, that I'm sure most of you have probably never owned. If you had owned one, you would realize that timing and chopping are 2 problems that rarely ever come up.
Jeremy

Last edited by wadd : 02-11-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:17 PM #26
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

TEOTWAWKI

Wadd-
Thanks for the intelligent and well written post! We don't always get that...

As for just focusing on "timing and chopping"- This thread is a continuation of another thread where we discussed all those issues you mentioned.. (ie cycle speed, accuracy, loudness etc, etc).

The reason you see threads like this is because people will often ask "Is the Rainmaker a good gun for $100??"... Then we will say "yes", then someone else will say "The Rainmaker sucks... get an Angel/EBlade/etc...". Sigh

Anyway, I don't think you understand how a Rainmaker works.
The Rainmaker is an electronically controlled autococking pump-gun.
The Autococker is a mechanically controlled autococking pump-gun.
The electros you mentioned (Angel,Timmy,etc), are electronically controlled ram-bolts.

Yes, the Angel and Rainmaker both have circuit boards, but otherwise they are very different. It would have been more accurate to say the Rainmaker is like an Electro-Cocker, except its 1/10th the price.

As to the issues of timing and chopping. It was mentioned in the other thread that ram-bolts chop. That is why ACEs are important to them. Stock cockers will also chop because the reg pressure is set high and has a large moving mass. BUT any cocker can be made to pinch, while ram-bolts can not.

Timing is a newbie issue only. Timing a cocker is easy, but it is something that can go wrong in the hands of a newbie, and usually does. Likewise, ram-bolts (like Angel,Timmy,etc) have adjustable dwell and ram-pressure which effects velocity and cycle speed. These also cause problems for newbies.
The RM has fixed timing,pressure and dwell. This might make it harder for 'fine tuning', but it also makes it idiot proof for newbies.

The Rainmaker has lots of flaws, but has some nice positives as well. Its the best gun in its price range (under $200), and a good "step up" for a newbie looking to try something new.

nick
Old 02-11-2003, 10:09 PM #27
wadd

You did make one very good point about the RM being idiot proof. I've never thought about it that way. I've always considered not having an adjustable dwell to be a very bad thing, but an adjustable dwell in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing is potentially a very bad thing. Good point.
Jeremy
Old 03-05-2003, 10:14 AM #28
ApoC_101 (Banned)

ok bottom line, RMs are good guns, lets say i wanted one for project purposes, how much for 1, and what barrel threads. im guessing some gay be thread, but i want cocker or spyder, so is it possible to rethread them.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:35 PM #29
Kevmaster
Owners Group Div:Director

they are standard cocker threads....not "gay BE" threads. they arnt sold new anymore, but you can get one used for 100-125 stockish, up to 200-300 upgraded
Old 03-09-2003, 12:01 PM #30
becker6988
(.)(.)

why am i so obsessed with being a jackass?

//*//Axe//*//
//*//Virtue board//*//
//*//Freak kit//*//
//*//SE Black & Gold i4s//*//
//*//Empire Prophecy//*//

Last edited by Kevmaster : 03-09-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:19 PM #31
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
tho are the worst gun to ever hit the market alog with BE
This newb made it clear in the other thread that he has no idea what a rainmaker is..... which makes it a really lame attempt at trolling..

But, for the sake of argument, why is the Rainmaker the worst gun to hit the market? I'd love to here why

Nick
Old 03-09-2003, 04:15 PM #32
automagsrule
LOIC

[newb remark] it chops balls all the time and is heavy and loud and sucks and its by brass ealge and i played with one and it broke as soon as i touched it and one blew up in my friend's hands![/newb remark]

sorry, couldn't resist.