Striker9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellv2 View Post
Enlighten me.
I prefer my laptops to:

not be made out of plastic
not to have a ****ty trackpad which is barely useable
not have cheap hinges which go bad after a year use
not have an OS that I need to reinstall just to get rid of bloatware and separate partitions that I wont need
have a battery that I don't need to worry about plugging in to charge throughout my day. (reviews said those get around 90 mins)

But what does any of that matter if it doesn't have i7, 8 gigs of ram, and specs out the *** that you'll barely ever use to maximum power.

There is more to technical quality that just specs, and if your going to spend $1,200 on a laptop to last 4 years, why is $500 more such a big deal?

Last edited by Striker9 : 06-19-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 PM #1934
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Authority View Post
I'm looking at buying the Hp Envy 14 laptop when it is released on June 27th; is there any information you can provide that would be helpful in making a choice? I've previously considered purchasing a MacBook for somewhere around $999-$1,300; however the Envy has better specs for a lower price.

Does anyone have an Envy laptop? How do you like it, and what are some up's/down's of it?

I know millions of you have MacBooks, but what would YOU suggest?

That is true for any computer Apple makes. There is always a Windows laptop with better specs for less.

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason
Genre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 PM #1935
b1aze
Sorry I'm A Champion

b1aze is a Supporting Member
b1aze is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Gonna be getting my M11x in the mail Wednesday hopefully I'm so pumped, reviews say the thing is an absolute beast. Now I have to start gaming again and it will have been worth the money
"Originally posted by AuctionJunkie: thebestbetistodotheresearchonyourownandreadtheforu msandseewhatfitsyoubettereachpersonhasadifferentop inionastofeeloftheguninthierhandsifyouwanttosearch dontcomplainaboutitsimplypurchaseasupportingmember shipandyoucansearchanytimeaswellasreceivemanyother
perkssorrymyspacebarbroke
."
b1aze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM #1936
I Am Authority
211-187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
That is true for any computer Apple makes. There is always a Windows laptop with better specs for less.
True. From your experience though which would you choose, and why?

Last edited by I Am Authority : 06-19-2010 at 06:50 PM.
I Am Authority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM #1937
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Well, I have never owned a laptop, so I don't know if my opinion is the one you want, but the one that I asked the question about on the previous page seems to be my best bet.

You should know that there are some things that make me want that laptop more than other people might. I hate the 13xx by 7xx (cant remember exactly what it is) resolution that most laptops in that range have. Also, the audio capabilities are more important to me than they may be for most people.

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason
Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 PM #1938
Striker9

Quote:
What do you plan on using it for?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 PM #1939
NOT zellthemedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker9 View Post
I prefer my laptops to:

not be made out of plastic
not to have a ****ty trackpad which is barely useable
not have cheap hinges which go bad after a year use
not have an OS that I need to reinstall just to get rid of bloatware and separate partitions that I wont need
have a battery that I don't need to worry about plugging in to charge throughout my day. (reviews said those get around 90 mins)

But what does any of that matter if it doesn't have i7, 8 gigs of ram, and specs out the *** that you'll barely ever use to maximum power.

There is more to technical quality that just specs, and if your going to spend $1,200 on a laptop to last 4 years, why is $500 more such a big deal?
I have no clue what laptops you're using, but the only true part of that list is the plastic part, which doesn't even matter because if you NEED a metal case to protect your laptop you're doing something incorrectly.

Bold'd: News flash: MacBooks use power too.
NOT zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:54 PM #1940
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
And for the cost difference you could get like 10 extra batteries and not plug that ****er in for days.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 AM #1941
Striker9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT zellthemedic View Post
I have no clue what laptops you're using, but the only true part of that list is the plastic part, which doesn't even matter because if you NEED a metal case to protect your laptop you're doing something incorrectly.

Bold'd: News flash: MacBooks use power too.
I've had 2 friends who had the previous version of the ASUS, and both hinges have gone bad. How is it not true that they install bloatware and separate recovery partitions on the drive?

Why would you want a cheap feeling laptop if your spending a $1,000 yet complain because people spend extra for buying an Apple product?

I've yet to come across any windows laptop that has as good of a battery as an mbp.

Last edited by Striker9 : 06-20-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM #1942
Laius
OBEY THE MAY

Quote:
I've yet to come across any windows laptop that has as good of a battery as an mbp.
I'm not really sure what to say about that.
Laius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:55 AM #1943
I Am Authority
211-187

Quote:
What do you plan on using it for?
I plan to use it for web browsing, downloading/storing/burning music and videos, as well as photo editing and possible video editing.

I have found HP Envy Refurbished laptops for almost a $400 cheaper than the brand new ones on their site. Do you guys see anything wrong with doing that?

My dad has bought six refurbished computers from HP in the past, and all have outperformed the last. We have never had a serious issue, and that's what tempts me to go the 'refurb' route.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 AM #1944
Striker9

Refurbs are usually great, especially if they come straight from the manufacturer. Just make sure they come with a warranty.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM #1945
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
I plan to use it for web browsing, downloading/storing/burning music and videos, as well as photo editing and possible video editing.

I have found HP Envy Refurbished laptops for almost a $400 cheaper than the brand new ones on their site. Do you guys see anything wrong with doing that?

My dad has bought six refurbished computers from HP in the past, and all have outperformed the last. We have never had a serious issue, and that's what tempts me to go the 'refurb' route.
Be careful and look up what kind of problems other people have been having with the same models of laptop you're having. I know if I'd checked out the support forums for my laptop, I would have spent the extra $100 on a intel/nvidia model instead of a amd/ati model due to all the heat complaints other people posted about and I ended up having.

For example: http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/HP-Envy...F A8D71CC0F22
Take a look through that and see what issues are common and whether they're easy to fix.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM #1946
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laius View Post
I'm not really sure what to say about that.
Hahahah.

Srsly.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:44 PM #1947
I Am Authority
211-187

Quote:
Refurbs are usually great, especially if they come straight from the manufacturer. Just make sure they come with a warranty.
I have also heard that refurbs are good as long as they come from a reputable source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
Be careful and look up what kind of problems other people have been having with the same models of laptop you're having. I know if I'd checked out the support forums for my laptop, I would have spent the extra $100 on a intel/nvidia model instead of a amd/ati model due to all the heat complaints other people posted about and I ended up having.

For example: http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/HP-Envy...F A8D71CC0F22
Take a look through that and see what issues are common and whether they're easy to fix.
Thanks for finding that for me. I have taken a look at the HP forums over the past few days and have found that the i7's come with heat issues. Some people have had issues with the bottom of the laptop getting so hot, it's not possible to touch. Therefore I think I'm going the i5 route. I also plan to get a fan. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I can do.

I also plan on getting an accidental warranty a well.

Does anyone know if you're able to purchase an accidental/extended warranty on refurbished laptops?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM #1948
Seethrusoul13
Got Paint?

Hmmmmm...

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_prod...x?cid=9&id=217

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114803
?

Also, has anyone here actually bought a pre-fab computer from MSI? (I've bought a board or two but never an actual system...) If so, any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 PM #1949
I Am Authority
211-187

Anyone here own an HP Envy Beats Limited Edition laptop?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 PM #1950
Genre
I just want to be free.

An RL friend is trying to tell me that the current generation of 17" MBP out-performs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16834220695R

I was like

That laptop above was $1081 open box earlier today, btw.

Reason
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM #1951
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

Hey guys i just got a new laptop (Toshiba satellite A505) and i need some help setting it up. I bought Office Home & Student 2010 and it downloaded and installed without Word, so i repaired it via Add/Remove programs and it got Word back, but lost Excel. Tried it again and lost powerpoint. Now it will occasionally get a pop up saying it is downloading required files, but ill leave the computer on for hours and it wont download anything, any help?

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 06-22-2010 at 11:24 AM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM #1952
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
An RL friend is trying to tell me that the current generation of 17" MBP out-performs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16834220695R

I was like

That laptop above was $1081 open box earlier today, btw.
Yeah but the hinges suck and the battery life isn't good!

Only poor people buy plastic laptops.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 PM #1953
b1aze
Sorry I'm A Champion

b1aze is a Supporting Member
b1aze is reppin' sidebar 4 life
This M11x is AWESOME! I love it so far. Ill keep updating the thread here if anything goes drastically wrong or right.
"Originally posted by AuctionJunkie: thebestbetistodotheresearchonyourownandreadtheforu msandseewhatfitsyoubettereachpersonhasadifferentop inionastofeeloftheguninthierhandsifyouwanttosearch dontcomplainaboutitsimplypurchaseasupportingmember shipandyoucansearchanytimeaswellasreceivemanyother
perkssorrymyspacebarbroke
."
b1aze is offline   Reply With Quote