PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-12-2006, 11:01 PM #1
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Promaster vs Interceptor

I'm sure you've all heard that the Promaster is now $250.

It definatley effects my thoughts on getting an Interceptor. I know the Promaster isn't as good, but that's a lot of money saved, and the Promaster is already good.

Can someone tell me something helpful about it? I don't know exactley what to ask.

Thanks.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 PM #2
p8ntball226

p8ntball226 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
It depends on how much money you have, an 06 Interceptor is 550, promaster 250. Both are pretty good guns, both work the same way and really should give you about the same performance. Out of the box the Interceptor will probably be better and has much better customer service should anything go wrong, but Promaster has many more upgrades.

I'd get a Promaster, since it's much cheaper you can spend all that money on paint and a few upgrades and it'll perform just as good if not better than the Interceptor.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 PM #3
PBU
E.A.P.G. #10

Its ICD and all you have to do is browse to see their main problem is customer service.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:19 PM #4
Mind'sEye
Mad Money

Don't kid yourself. You'll get what you pay for here. It's as simple as that.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:20 PM #5
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

I knew about ICD's customer service. Thats another thing I was worried about, and that's one of the things that I like about Aliens.

I dunno. It's going to be 6 month's or so before I get a new gun. And I'm just trying to keep my options open.

I always was thinking about going to a Mid end marker before going high end too.

I have plenty of time to decide, thanks for your help
Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 AM #6
propluscocker04
Yes, thats me.

the promaster is not good. thats why its 250 bux. the interceptor is the best gun for the price no doubt. i had one. and it was just as good as my remains, but not as light. but it shot just as good and has a better trigger. the 05 ceptors are the ****, so get one of those used if you wanna have one of the best guns period.

NEW FEEDBACK 29+ 0-!!!

OLD FEEDBACK 14+ 0-!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 AM #7
Exit Wounds
doesn't play paintball.

I've never shot a promaster, so my opinion is not very useful here. But, I can tell you from past experiences that ICD is not a great company to buy a marker from. Two of my old teammates owned Freestyles for a while (05 style), and they constantly had problems with the eyes, board, solenoid, and leaks. One of the owners babied his gun more than I do, and it still had serious issues (yes, he knew how to balance the regs over the chrony well). Another teammate owned a b2k, which had major wiring and eye issues, which were not always related. Some problems were just plain spooky, for example it ripped like no other with a halo, but turned into a total blender with an egg. It worked fine with a revy.

Don't even try to send a gun to ICD for repairs, it will take months and often won't actually resolve your problems. Another friend owned a freestyle that had wiring issues (user error this time, but then again they aren't very user friendly to tech) so he shipped it out to ICD for repairs and it took over four months to get it back. True, this has happened once or twice with Alien (poor Reaper, I hope it was worth the wait), but ICD is a much bigger company that has been around longer than most, so it should know how to handle customers by now. Alien is small and inexperienced, and is definately "getting its **** together" with the RMA number return system, and besides has IMO some of the best customer service in the industry.

$250 for a stacked-tube knock-open poppet-valve EP marker is a very competitive price, but it will never shoot like a true high-end mowing machine. Like Mind's Eye said, its a case of "you get what you pay for."
Old 08-13-2006, 12:01 PM #8
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Eternal Acacia is a Supporting Member
Coming from an ICD owner, alien ftw. I took off my tray once, and i did it correctly and cautiously too, and boom, tore an eye wire out of the on/off switch. True, when it has a halo on it and it's tuned well, it rips hard, but those days are few and far between. Last saturday, i was shooting paint with perfect bore match to my barrel, and i was getting +-5 fps over the chrono and godly efficency (5 pods and a hopper off a 3000... godly for bushy's) and the next day, shooting the same paint (from a bag thatd never been opened, so it hadn't ben exposed to bad elements) i got+-15 and 2 1/2 pods and a hopper off my 68/3000... I love my gun to death, but I just don't want to deal with it randomly breaking all day...
and the future don't exist

"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
Old 08-13-2006, 12:11 PM #9
pbplayer808
It's time we have a chat.

if you want performance get the ceptor, if you want to save money and dont play that much get the promaster

EDIT- might want to consider if you went with a lower end gun you would always want and evenually upgrade anways

"Originally posted by MatrixBaller04:Hell I am ****ing gay and get more respect in here than you.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:18 PM #10
strateshooter9

i havent had a ceptor but i've had a bushy and have friends that have promasters and what everyone seems to find is that the promaster is a great gun when it works, we all take good care of our gats and they seem to break down in some small but weird ways that can keep you out for a game or for the day tryin to fix it

just what i've found
Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 PM #11
bobide
That's No Zaku Boy

bobide supports Cereal Killerz 2
bobide is an NCPA player
bobide plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Wounds
$250 for a stacked-tube knock-open poppet-valve EP marker is a very competitive price, but it will never shoot like a true high-end mowing machine. Like Mind's Eye said, its a case of "you get what you pay for."
*giggle* Can you explain to me how a gun that operates in exactly the same fashion as your "true high-end mowing machine" could never reach that level?

Any gun will break. It's a fact of life and a matter of time for it to happen to you.

Personally i'd go with a gun that kept some money in my pocket, especially if it can operate at a level near the more expensive gun. Sure there is a chance that it won't be as reliable, but look at the early dm6 sure threw highend=reliable out the window.

For the record all problems with the promaster have come from the user. Minus a few odd eye related problems.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:41 PM #12
pbplayer808
It's time we have a chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Wounds
Don't even try to send a gun to ICD for repairs, it will take months and often won't actually resolve your problems.
QFT my friend just got his freestyle back from ICD 2 months 4 days. The problem was the noid that can easily be boughten for 80 dollers and installed yourself. they chraged him 150 dollers...pffft. I owned a freestyle myself and I love my 06 interceptor and deffinantly wouldn't go back.

"Originally posted by MatrixBaller04:Hell I am ****ing gay and get more respect in here than you.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:47 PM #13
Prea

from what ive heard, icd has great customer service....so idk what you guys are talking about........i dont really think you can compare the two since they are in different price ranges.....imo they are both worth the money that they cost
Old 08-13-2006, 12:50 PM #14
xXIsolatioNXx
Pandas are Pretty Chill.

Hello. First off I woud like to say that I am a ProMaster owner, and have been for a couple months now. I have not shot an Interceptor myself, but have seen one at my field. Both are great guns, and both guns seem to perform great.

Although it seems like the smart choice would be to buy the cheaper gun that performs almost as nicely, and with the money you saved you could always buy an upgraded board for between 50 and a hundred bucks, and it would probably perform even better and still be cheaper then a stock Interceptor. I have not had any problems with my ProMaster, and 90 percent of the time the problem is user-related. ICD got a bad rep from the BKO but they have really turned their act around, and I've talked to many fellow satisfied customers.

Alot of people complain about ICD Regs, but again that was a problem the early guns had. Many people get +/-5 at the chrono on a stock ProMaster reg!

Both guns rip, and either way I'm sure you'll be happy, but I guess I just don't see the sense in buying a fairly more expensive marker that barely outperforms a cheaper one.

Best regards, and good luck picking a gun.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:15 PM #15
p8ntball226

p8ntball226 is a Supporting Member
I own an Interceptor and my friend has a promaster.

Problems- A lot of people, including myself, have had problems with the hose on the Alien, I had to replace mine. Same with promaster, my friend has had problems with the hoses on his too, replaced them and problem fixed. The rest of the problems with both guns are just user error.

My friends solenoid on his promaster broke, he bought a new one. This was user error though. It's not because the noid they use is bad. Infact the Interceptor and Promaster use almost the same solenoid, only difference is the Promaster is made to use hoses while the Interceptor uses a gasket. This is before the Interceptor comes with the new WAS solenoid though.

Performance- Both guns shoot good. I had to replace the LPR on my Alien, constant creeping. Replaced oring and reg seat, maintained properly, I did just what the manual said and nothing stopped the leaking and creeping. Now it has a Hybrid LPR on it and I was getting velocities ranging from 240-280, still need to break in new reg and couldn't get CP apart(older version, very difficult to get the top section off.) For the promaster it shot pretty well. New valve, new lpr and new reg. It shot 275 +/- 8 or so, I'd say it's pretty good for neither reg being broken in yet.

Accuracy-Both shoot the same. From my experiences I have to say that the sweep system is no better than a normal valve.

Speed-both will shoot the same.

Size/Weight-Alien wins this, not by much though. Promaster is a pretty small and light gun.

Customer Service-Alien wins. I sent in my old bushy, took about a month to get it back. If you take care of both guns properly then you hopefully won't have to deal with the customer service.

Upgrades-Promaster wins. Interceptors have very few upgrades, regs are about it.

Price-Promaster wins, $300 cheaper than the Interceptor.

Overall-As stated above in this thread, I'd take a promaster over the Interceptor if I were you. For the price you can't beat the promaster, With the money saved you could easily get it performing just as good or better than the Interceptor and have money left over.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:13 PM #16
ikey

you do get what you pay for, but IMO you save 300, but loose 500+ worth in performance. alien is a much higher end gun....basically teh same as a remains which is 900
Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 PM #17
TheDRulesAll
Substance D Abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobide
For the record all problems with the promaster have come from the user.
ive had to deal with a few too many promasters that didnt work straight out of the box to believe that.

and for the extra 300 dollars on the interceptor, your paying for a better board, better barrel, a lighter and more compact design, a better frame (i dont really think its much of an opinion thing anymore. everyone i have had feel the interceptor frame has agreed its better than the standard 90*), and better customer service

just look at it as a few extra luxuries(sp?) if you can afford them...

KillWithGrace
Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 PM #18
PBU
E.A.P.G. #10

and why would I want to up grade if I didn't NEED to, and one more thing that no one mentioned was resale value, from the looks of it the 05' Interceptor is holding its value better than ANY marker I can think of!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 PM #19
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDRulesAll
ive had to deal with a few too many promasters that didnt work straight out of the box to believe that.

and for the extra 300 dollars on the interceptor, your paying for a better board, better barrel, a lighter and more compact design, a better frame (i dont really think its much of an opinion thing anymore. everyone i have had feel the interceptor frame has agreed its better than the standard 90*), and better customer service

just look at it as a few extra luxuries(sp?) if you can afford them...

qft my friend. there was a team at the last tourney i reffed. they were a throw together team, and they all had nib promasters that they hadn't even taken out of the original boxes, and they had to quit the tourney because all 3 of them stopepd working at some point in the day.
Promaster... to get to alien level... you need a board, usually a better reg, a better barrel, an on/off, and a clamping feedneck... 250+~100+~70+~100 for an invasion quality barrel+40+40=~600 Now, a nib 05 alien sells for 575... an 06 for 610... I know what i'd choose. None of the promasters i've ever shot have impressed me very much.

"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
Old 08-13-2006, 05:04 PM #20
scd22191
JESUS ROCKS!

^this be true stuff

I have owned my interceptor (06) for 4 months and I love it. I won't lie, it has had it's moments where it's not worked but those were 2or3 months ago and easily teched. I have a friend who owns a b2k4 (eternal acacia), his gun ripped very similarly to my old imp, but it broke down waaaay too often, just about every day of play i remember. I also have another friend who owned a freestyle, the high-end ICD gun (if you didnt know ), it broke, and he had to send it into ICD. 3 and 1/2 months later it returned, missing 2 eye covers and with a $100 tab. it still didn't work. this isn't meant to reflect on ALL of ICDs services but this gun returned in the just about thw same condition as it left in. I myself havn't had a need to send my alien in to jack and alienpb, but i know others here in the massachusetts area who have, and they have better results than ICD.

honestly, I see one and only one good point for the promaster in this arguement, and that is its pricetag. If you don't have ~$600 to buy an interceptor, and you were thinkin bout the promaster, then get it! But if you do have the money, get the interceptor. you get what you pay for.
ALIEN ARMADA: because winning really is more fun
Without Trust, what is a mans worth
Old 08-13-2006, 05:33 PM #21
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Don't jump into anything either. I made the mistake of spending all 600 i had to begin with on my bushy and such... i could have bought a whole alien set up first. glad to see you're doing your research first. A kid brought 2 freestyles to the field the other day, one a gen 2, the other an fs7... one lost it's eye cover mid game because the screw came stripped from the factory. It also leaks out of the noid. It's the only way he can get his freestyle to shoot over 200 fps... should be saying something about it. I would much rather have to replaces something as simple (and cheap) as a hose over a brand new solenoid/sending it to the factory for repairs.

Ready for some more shennigans? My friend bought a NIB b2k4 at a local proshop, straight from the factory. He had a defective noid right out of the box, so he sent it to ICD. 2 months later it came back, unfixed, with a 100 dollar tab, saying the warranty was voided because the "reg had been previously dis assembled and modified" when it was a completely stock gun to begin with...