PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-09-2015, 06:20 PM #1
grayparatrooper

has been a member for 10 years
Any walk throughs on pm7 conversion?

I keep running into cheap Angels that need boards,batteries etc. is there a walk through that shows you how to convert it over?
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 PM #2
Somnambulistz
DirtyDeeds,DoneWithSheep

Annual Supporting Member
conversion video can be summed up here:

i) package up angel

ii) send it to Brad @ East Coast Angel

iii) #win

EDIT* if you go to anyone else, *especially this ******* with a tri-faded ripper lcd*, you won't be happy, go with my instructions.

PBN SOCCER THREAD (SPORTS) LIVERPOOL F.C.

To quote Iconopop: "i'll take your old *** Dye LCD, Ripper LCD, autococker, mag, get out my black and decker drill, give it an eye job, throw it in a bag and push it down the stairs, cause I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT!"

Calm Down, Calm Down, It's The Internet, You're Gonna Give Yourself Skin Failure!

Last edited by Somnambulistz : 04-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Somnambulistz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 PM #3
grayparatrooper

Ya he teched my led but it's cheaper if I do it myself lol the parts aren't expensive.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM #4
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Are you wanting to go completely from scratch, i.e., make your own mounts, make your own wiring harness, etc?

If so there's not really any direct walkthrough for it per se, but this thread has some good pics of the installation process. That's kind of the thread that started the PMR conversion movement, if you will, in the Angel community.

If you're starting completely from scratch with nothing pre-made, here's roughly how the process goes:

The easiest way to go about making the mounts is to use your stock board as a template for the bottom screw hole mount, mock up where you want the PMR board to hit for the buttons to line up, transfer the template to a sheet of plastic, and cut it out with a small hacksaw blade or sharp razor knife. You can do the same with the top board mount for aligning the microswitch. If you're only looking to do a few mounts, a cheap cutting board is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to procure the plastic sheet.

For the wiring harness, you need a 4 pin JST connector (part number ZHR-4). If you don't already own the crimping tool, it would be in your best interest to buy the connector with a wire pigtail pre-attached (the proper crimping tool is about $150, and a working alternative crimping tool is about $40). You can find pre-wired connectors fairly inexpensively on eBay.

Once you've got the connector with the wires attached, you need a 9 volt battery snap connector and microswitch to install on the other end.

There are a couple different types of 9 volt battery clips, soft and rigid. The rigid ones tend to hold up better. You can find both types at places like Radio Shack or at a supplier like Mouser or Digikey. Here's a few examples. These can also be found on eBay.

Same story with the microswitch. Any SPDT lever-actuated snap action switch in the appropriate size will work. You can buy these from paintball suppliers like ZDSPB or directly from suppliers like Mouser and Digikey. You can buy switches with various activation force. I wouldn't recommend going lower than 25 grams. 50-80 is typical. Operating force is sometimes listed in Newtons, you can convert from Newtons to gram-force here. This search at Mouser and this search at Digikey will return the type of switches you would be looking for.

Assembly is pretty easy, but you do need a soldering iron and a little bit of skill at using it. If you purchase the 4-pin connector pre-wired, you're just doing 2 inline wire splices for the battery and wire-to-terminal on the microswitch. Use heat shrink tubing to cover the joints.

By the time you go through all the hassle of sourcing the parts and paying for shipping from a few different suppliers, if you're only going to be doing a few of these conversions you might be better off just having the service done or buying the parts already assembled from Brad (I believe he sells DIY installation kits with the wiring harness and mount without having to pay for the board and installation service).

Last edited by dr.strangelove : 04-09-2015 at 10:21 PM.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 PM #5
rkj1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayparatrooper View Post
Ya he teched my led but it's cheaper if I do it myself lol the parts aren't expensive.
Virtue swaps in LED's are a PIA. If you are converting one of those I highly recommend brad.

If it's a LCD-G7 buy Pedro's mounts on ebay. His mounts come with instructions. Those models are a cake walk.

If it's a LED's......SEND TO BRAD! LED's have no room in the grip frame for a board plus a battery. I've milled them to fit but unless you have a milling machine that's not an option. And to fit both components even will a milling machine it tight to get them completely under the grips. Option #2 is to 'LED port' a LCD frame and use that frame, but that requires a drill press at the very least and also some mechanical talents. Brads method of installing the board in the body is great but requires some electrical talent for the remote buttons. Best leaving those to the more experienced IMHO.

Good luck and have fun.
rkj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:29 PM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Yeah, didn't realize you were talking about an LED. Different story for the board installation there. It needs to go in the battery tube. The wiring harness procedure is still the same, but relocating the switches is a little trickier. Not super complicated, but you definitely need more soldering skills. At the least, you need to piggyback off the existing switches with hookup wire to a new pair of switches mounted elsewhere (frame or back plate).

Frankly, for the LED I'd probably be more inclined to use a Universal T Board.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 PM #7
Somnambulistz
DirtyDeeds,DoneWithSheep

Annual Supporting Member
send it to brad, he can put in the doctors eyes, and everything would rock on

also....avoid a ****ing ******* with a tri-faded ripper lcd

PBN SOCCER THREAD (SPORTS) LIVERPOOL F.C.

To quote Iconopop: "i'll take your old *** Dye LCD, Ripper LCD, autococker, mag, get out my black and decker drill, give it an eye job, throw it in a bag and push it down the stairs, cause I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT!"

Calm Down, Calm Down, It's The Internet, You're Gonna Give Yourself Skin Failure!
Somnambulistz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 AM #8
EastCoastAngel
Angel tune up and service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulistz View Post
send it to brad, he can put in the doctors eyes, and everything would rock on also....avoid a ****ing ******* with a tri-faded ripper lcd
i second this notion

I just did a sick led conversion for drew templeton and the power button I used is a million times easier than ones I used before

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747
EastCoastAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM #9
grayparatrooper

Was more talking about lcd,speed etc. I just happen to run across an already converted led but I wouldnt try those myself. I was also just looking at buying the already made mounts of eBay etc. just wasn't sure about wiring how all that works and what else i need Besides board and mount.

Last edited by grayparatrooper : 04-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.
grayparatrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 PM #10
lew
Timebomb Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj1974 View Post
If it's a LCD-G7 buy Pedro's mounts on ebay. His mounts come with instructions. Those models are a cake walk.
These mounts were stupidly easy to install. I'm going to send the complete Angel to Brad to program, but I'm a troglodyte when it comes to circuitry.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:11 PM #11
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayparatrooper View Post
Was more talking about lcd,speed etc. I just happen to run across an already converted led but I wouldnt try those myself. I was also just looking at buying the already made mounts of eBay etc. just wasn't sure about wiring how all that works and what else i need Besides board and mount.
Follow the instructions in my first post in that case. If you buy the board mounts and wiring harness it's as easy as just mounting everything up.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM #12
grayparatrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Follow the instructions in my first post in that case. If you buy the board mounts and wiring harness it's as easy as just mounting everything up.
Just a regular pm7 harness with micro switch?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM #13
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Yep. Or you can PM EastCoastAngel, he makes ones specifically for the Angel mod (correct wire lengths, etc).
Old 05-12-2015, 01:53 PM #14
Spyder-Luke
Envy

Send it to Brad, you won't regret it

"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: Life is difficult and complicated, the sands of time continue to drop through the hour glass of our mortal existence, we know not who we are but that we are, all of which signifies the time for buttsex

(Aristotle said that i think)....."
Spyder-Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:07 PM #15
grayparatrooper

i picked up a couple speed projects for cheap. Im going to do the conversions on them as one has no battery and the other battery is toast.