Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-18-2016, 03:20 PM #1
luvthepack27

Best Hoppers

Hi, I'm wondering whats the best hopper in paintball.

I hear the top hoppers are the rotor, spire, Z2, and the TFX. I am hoping to buy new but I could buy used. My local field has the rotor (not the R2) for 150, I use GI Sportz 1 star if you were wondering.

Thanks
luvthepack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 PM #2
Intern1

Intern1 is Legendary
Intern1 supports Ninja Paintball
Intern1 supports Empire
Yes, those are all the top dogs as far as hoppers go. You can buy new if you want but hoppers usually last a long time and are pretty durable, so you wouldn't be loosing anything if you bought used.
Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM #3
luvthepack27

What do you think the best one is of those 4?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 PM #4
Hounds33

Hounds33 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Hounds33 supports DLX Technology
Hounds33 supports Shocker RSX
Hounds33 supports Ninja Paintball
I haven't had a problem with my rotor and it has only jammed twice and that was after dives, but I wouldn't pay more than 80 for it.
#33 Island Armed Forces
Hounds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 PM #5
Intern1

Intern1 is Legendary
Intern1 supports Ninja Paintball
Intern1 supports Empire
Personally I use a rotor. It is probably the heaviest out of the four, but it's a tank, tooless disassembly, and has great battery life. That being said I know plenty of people that use spires and Z2s without a problem. I don't know anyone with TFX but I have herd good things about it. I would get which ever you can get the best deal on. All should treat you well.
Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM #6
luvthepack27

Thank You!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 PM #7
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends IX
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Pump Scout supports Ninja Paintball
We really are in an interesting point in paintball gear technology. There are so few seriously "bad" bits of gear on the market anymore, as opposed to the old days where you really rolled the dice on quality. Now, everything is pretty reliable, it's just a matter of small preferences as to what you get. Heck, at a certain point, I started looking at "if this breaks, who has the best service program" instead of any particular feature on a gun or piece of gear.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM #8
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Ninja Paintball
safariguy5 supports Empire
I like the Spire personally because of how gentle it is on paint and how good its anti jam feature is. Also has an easy change between 200 and 260 capacity shells.
Infinite Resistance #21

ASM Jersey Idea Thread 2016 Edition
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 AM #9
Mav
Paintburrets

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Mav plays in the APPA D5 division
Mav supports Shocker RSX
Mav supports Ninja Paintball
I'm a big fan of the spire. It's not perfect... but it is light and consistent and good on batteries.

Free Agent
Ryukyu King #5 (Once A King, Always A King)
USAF - USAFA Falcons #5 (Alumni)

Curator's Corner - Mav's Markers
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 PM #10
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Big Papa Pink supports Ninja Paintball
I'm with Safari and May. Out of those 4, the Spire has been the most consistant performer for me. Virtue has been excellent to work with when I needed a new rain lid or replacement parts.
INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Trade/Sale Threads:
None Currently
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM #11
AliceNChaynz

I use a Z2 and I love it. I bought it used for $90 2 years ago and the only problem I have had with is was that I accidentally ripped the red and black wires off the leads of the motor. I emailed Empire though and they sent me a new motor and belt for free within an hour of my initial email. Great customer service and great product.

If I'm not mistaken you can find a camo Z2 for around $90 brand new... I'm assuming they're cheap because the camo style didn't sell very well, but if you don't mind then you can get a great deal on a brand new hopper.
AliceNChaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM #12
Flash74
Started in '89

Flash74 supports Ninja Paintball
I rented a rotor recently while waiting for my Vmax+ to come in. It was heavy, but the plastic is thick which leads to their durability. Once on top of the marker you don't notice the weight. It worked well the whole day without issue.

Once my Vmax+ came in, I ran 1100 balls through it without issue. The only hiccup was at 15bps full auto the marker had to wait for a ball to drop 3 times. It was just a stutter in the normal staccato of firing full auto. Not bad for 1100 balls at 15bps full auto. Once I set my marker to a more reasonable 10.5bps I have never had to wait on the hopper no matter the firing mode. I put some 5-star through it for a couple of games and it didn't have any issues with brittle paint, but it was only 500 balls. The Vmax+ is light at just under a pound with 2-9 volts. The plastic shell seems durable but no where near as durable as a rotor.

Since I am an old fat guy who will not be sliding into bunkers, the Vmax+ suits me just fine. It feeds great and you can get factory speedfeed that is easy to swap back and forth with a lid. I play back and shoot a lot of paint per game and the Vmax+ keeps up. If I were a jumping sliding fool like I used to be, the Vmax+ would simply not hold up. If your game is like mine where you are not too hard on equipment, look at the Vmax+ and save yourself some money. If you are a jumping sliding fool, you have the best ones narrowed down.

If I were to spend the money on a high dollar hopper, I would go with the Rotor R2. I have seen too many Spires break, Z2's fall apart (they cant be that hard to assemble) and I simply haven't seen enough of the TFX's in action to make an opinion.
Flash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:27 PM #13
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends IX
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Pump Scout supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash74 View Post
...Z2's fall apart (they cant be that hard to assemble)...
You'd think that, and yet some of the best players in the game have messed it up.

My Z2's have been pretty darn reliable, but I don't beat the hell out of my gear either, and I make sure I've assembled the shells properly.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 PM #14
theflash

theflash is a founding member
I use a Rotor primarily now and am very happy. I never thought the Rotor was heavy, and compared to a HALO type loader the Rotor is super-light. I did have a funny incident my first time out with the Rotor on the speedball field. I'm a front player so while diving into the snake off the break, the top of the rotor popped off and I lost the hopper of paint, but the loader was otherwise unharmed. Just snapped the top back on, dropped a pod in and kept playing, but was a little more conscious of how I slide off of a run and haven't had it happen since. Definitely a tough loader.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 PM #15
Big-Show

Big-Show supports Ninja Paintball
I bought me and my girl a couple Z2 and they worked well. Until she dove behind a bunker and the Z2 disassembled on here. I found a deal on a couple Rotors as they do not come apart as easy. So far we really like the Rotor, still have the Z2s for back ups. Performance wise they both keep up at 15 bps on our TM15s with Ape rampage boards.
Big-Show is offline   Reply With Quote