PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-31-2002, 06:20 PM #1
matthewkn

has been a member for 10 years
Exclamation How about an intelligent BE convo...not many of those around here

Okay all you flamers, its time to sit down and have a nice intelligence conversation about Brass Eagle...read on

Yes, we all know Brass Eagle doesnt have the best quality and many of their products are cheap. I've played paintball for about 4 and a half years and I've had to deal with many of their products failing on me, but then again, I wouldn't be into paintball without BE.

Everyone in my neighborhood started out with Blades/Talons (I borrowed a Blade and a Talon, I never owned a BE gun,my first marker was a Tippy) and I have to admit playing in dirt lots and the woods with pumps was pure fun and we loved ever minute of it. Then people upgraded to Stingrays and a few Samurais and the play got more intense then we all left the Brass Eagle world and bought real markers like Spyders, Tippys and 'Cockers. The bottom line is, Brass Eagle gets us here.

Now, to please all the flamers, I will list every Brass Eagle product I've had experience with that was just bad.

The Blade by far is the WORST marker they make. No one can deny that. My brother had one and the vertical feed cracked and the CO2 place has cracked on every single Blade that has ever been owned in this world.

The Samurai is also pretty bad. It curves like crazy and is a pure gas hog. I have to admit, it was kinda durable. This one guy dropped his and all kinds of crap and it kept on shooting. This one kid wanted to buy one and we told him he was gonna waste his $$$ but he bought it anyways and then regretted it.

The Brass Eagle 2-Pod harness was also horrible, it ripped only after a few games on me. My mom stitched it and it ripped in a new place. Now my brother uses it to hold pencils

Their goggles (you know the ones that come with Stingrays) are the WORST product they make. Honestly, they are a hazard to paintball. They're very easy to break and offer minimal protection. The lenses aren't even up to par with other masks.

Ok, i think that's it for their bad stuff, but they have made some good things too

Their Stick-Squeegies work great and I've never had a problem with them

Their O-rings work too...(the only o-rings i can get around here but oh well)

their CO2 tanks arent bad at all

The Avenger was actually an OK marker

I've seen a LOT of people wearing their Maxx vision masks. Scenario players seem to have a love affair with them.

Anyways, thats it for my thread on Brass Eagle........

(Oh yea, this is a last note to a lot of you. Brass Eagle bought out JT and Viewloader, but they DONT make their products. JT and Viewloader are still separate companies UNDER Brass Eagle. BE just gets profits. Sure, Brass Eagle might INFLUENCE some things they come out with, but for the most part they make things on their own. So dont associate items like Revvies and JT Gogs with Brass Eagle cause they have nothing to do with them)
9 oz. and 8 oz. CO2
Redz 3-pod Harness
JT 2k1 Gloves
JT 2K1 Proline Jersey
JT X-Fire Diamond Thermals
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2002, 08:40 PM #2
RunAway
Shrubber

I'll agree the parts are cheap for the most part. I've owned a few talons and had pump arms break after use. Not bad but not great either. The blade does suk. When you screw the 12 grams in it usually splits the back open and breaks in time. Stingrays have the worst trigger pull and are very loud which can be good to. But Stingrays and Rainmakers are also great tinkerers' guns and there a lot of things one can do to these markers besides just buying a part and screwing it on. I mean getting out the dremel, drill, epoxy, etc and actually doing your own mods. This can be a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:23 PM #3
blackrain

blackrain is a founding member
blackrain supports Bob Gurnsey
Talking I own a few Brass Eagle items

If you've been playing long enough(15 yrs for me),you'll remember the Stingray was one of the first semis on the market.Next to Palmer Tippman and AGS paintball,and a few others.Crossman had a few and there was one called the mod 85.Then cam ADG and others.But thats besides the point.Brass eagle did get a semi out there long before other companies did.They put paintball in retail(good and bad move).Now many have followed,ie JT,Diablo just to name a few.It's nice I can walk into walmart and buy orings and paint.As far as problems,not many.My RM's work fine so does my talon and samuria.If I want a better pump I just pull out my bushmaster or asassinator or thunder pig.I own cocker angel and other markers,but I really play alot with my RM.Why,cause I like it.As far as customer service,not the best.I'm still waiting on an answer from 2 yrs ago.Why I'm sure alot of folks hate BE guns is the simple fact.They listen to someone else and judge before using.They are to stupid to fix their marker and have to run to an overpriced airtech to fix it.Cant comprehend mechanics,or want to be like their buddies.I never get crap over my RM at the field.People just ask me what kind of cocker I have(lol).When they find out its a rainmaker they are shocked.It dispells their feelings towards the rumors that they have heard.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 01-01-2003, 06:12 PM #4
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

BlackRain-
Heh- I've also been playing for about 15 years, and there is one thing that has never changed: There are insecure players who need expensive equipment to "compensate" for lack of playing ability. These are usually the worst players, no matter what color their $2000 angel is. I think they know how bad they suck at paintball, so they insult players with inexpensive equipment.
I often show up on Sunday with jeans, T-Shirt, and a splatmaster, and easily hit those same kids.

So I laugh at these kids.

Anyway, about Brass Eagle. You get what you pay for. When I worked at a sporting goods store, I would tell people to start with the cheap stuff. Its just as fun if everyone is using the same equipment. I think they are worth the price you pay, and they introduce alot of people to paintball. I think Angels are overpriced, but I don't insult angel owners.

Funny thing is Brass Eagle was considered a high-quality company in the 80s with its Nightmere and Cobra, but its Golden Eagle was a big bomb in 90. The worlds first "cheap" semi with the Poison in 91, but that seemed like a bomb too. When the stingray came out in 92 it was universally hated because it was plastic, but the design was solid and worked. Its still the first gun that many players start with, so I think its a pretty good buy for a new player.

Nick
Old 01-01-2003, 06:30 PM #5
blackrain

blackrain is a founding member
blackrain supports Bob Gurnsey
Talking I doesn't matter what I shoot

I still suck(lol)!I'm just in it for the fun!You know the say about guys with big guns.I won't say it here.I might insult someone.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 01-03-2003, 06:45 PM #6
DeeEight

There's also the fact that BE spends MORE money than any other company in paintball, in promoting the sport. Look at the two consecutive years of Road to Aruba, this years Road to World Cup, they must have spent $100,000 plus on that thing this year,
they paid for EVERYTHING for the players that made it to the 8 team finals. Roundtrip airfare, meals, drinks, air, field fees, paint, rental vans, and every team member that made it there got an Elvolution II hopper as well. Not to mention all the roundtrip airfare to the world cup tickets they gave away for prizes.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:54 PM #7
RunAway
Shrubber

great point!...now why don't they spend some money on making better markers and better parts in the markers...or hire someone who can.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:05 AM #8
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

I think most of the BE guns are pretty good for the price if you only want to play in your backyard. Lets be fair, and rate quality in reference to price. The angel is NOT worth its price. The Blade is. Its like saying a Lamborgini is better then a Honda. "Better" is a subjective term. "Better" for who? (The fact that Brass Eagle was originally going to be the US distributor for the Angel makes this even funnier)

Although, I was just at WalMart, and they had some generic spyder clone for $40!?!? If it works, thats a pretty good deal.

The Rainmaker is tougher to quantify- Its a true electro, not some quasi-electro-spyder. Technically, you could call it an electro-autococking-Sterling. It is capable of very fast shooting, but they made alot of odd decisions when designing it. Like the non-anti kink bolt, hose/wire routing, that terrible raptor grip, the 99 board flaw, effeciency, and zipties! ZIPTIES!
It didn't fail because of zipties. It probobly failed because people were not willing to spend $400 on a gun with the "Brass Eagle" name. If they were smart, they should of created a separate "token" company to sell the RM and its other high-end stuff without the "Brass Eagle" name. Paintball companies do it all the time. In fact, I think BE is doing exactly that buy shifting its mid-level stuff over to the "JT" name.

Oh well. The RM is worth $99. If I grow board with it, I'll strip the parts, and convert some old pump to semi/full auto.

Nick
Old 01-05-2003, 08:23 PM #9
automagsrule
LOIC

even if everyone hates BE products, they shouldn't blame Brass Eagle. Daisey bought them in 92 (i think...). anyways, you'll notice 2 months after brass ealge was sold to daisey, the first really awful BE gun came into production. coincidence? no. so if you wanna lynch anyone cuz your talon broke, go to kansas and find a few daisey CEO's to hassle.

note: this PBN user is not responsible for othes actions and will not be held responsible for the lynching of any Daisey Airguns executives.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 01-06-2003, 02:24 AM #10
DeeEight

Quote:
Originally posted by automagsrule
even if everyone hates BE products, they shouldn't blame Brass Eagle. Daisey bought them in 92 (i think...). anyways, you'll notice 2 months after brass ealge was sold to daisey, the first really awful BE gun came into production. coincidence? no. so if you wanna lynch anyone cuz your talon broke, go to kansas and find a few daisey CEO's to hassle.

note: this PBN user is not responsible for othes actions and will not be held responsible for the lynching of any Daisey Airguns executives.
Last I checked BE was sold by Daisy to a large holding company with deep pockets around about 1997. So any products since then weren't really Daisy's fault. Then again, cutting quality and costs on guns HAS allowed the prices to come down even lower so MORE people can play.

Think about it, 15 years ago, a Splatmaster cost you a hundred dollars or so, was made of plastic, and bolt action firing. A decent pump was $200 or more. And a semi-auto ran about $400. If it wasn't for BE bringing out cheaper guns (and still doing it), there'd
have been NO competition for the other brands with over-priced guns, and no reason to lower their prices to match. How many people would play paintball today if it was still $500 to get into the sport with a basic setup and play for a summer.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:27 AM #11
DeeEight

Quote:
Originally posted by hp_lovecraft
the Poison in 91, but that seemed like a bomb too. When the stingray came out in 92 it was universally hated because it was plastic, but the design was solid and worked. Its still the first gun that many players start with, so I think its a pretty good buy for a new player.

Nick
I like old stingrays (1s and black-bodied 2s) but newer ones with the actual color/clear plastic bodies aren't worth it even as beginner guns. The black ones had much better bodies (being glass fiber reinforced composite) and more steel and aluminium inside.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:05 PM #12
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeEight
Last I checked BE was sold by Daisy to a large holding company with deep pockets around about 1997. So any products since then weren't really Daisy's fault. Then again, cutting quality and costs on guns HAS allowed the prices to come down even lower so MORE people can play.

Think about it, 15 years ago, a Splatmaster cost you a hundred dollars or so, was made of plastic, and bolt action firing. A decent pump was $200 or more. And a semi-auto ran about $400. If it wasn't for BE bringing out cheaper guns (and still doing it), there'd
have been NO competition for the other brands with over-priced guns, and no reason to lower their prices to match. How many people would play paintball today if it was still $500 to get into the sport with a basic setup and play for a summer.
actually, i have noticed the quality is getting better (98 rainmaker)
or at least there is an attempt to make it better (blade'02) since 1997, so maybe these new guys will be able to bring a good name back to brass eagle.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton