PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 AM #22
seiboob
get to the chopper

seiboob is a Supporting Member
to john coffey

your right someone should write something about supplements. so here goes.

to the more common paintballer supplements arent really needed. if u are following a healthy diet and somewhat following the workout described u probably dont need them. the only thing i owuld reccomend is a good multi-vitamin.

but to someone who has trained for a while im going to point you in this direction. www.t-nation.com this has been the most usefull site to me over the past 6 years er so. they are linked to biotest which imo produces the best supplements short of steroids. i myself have used thier supplements for years and years. if there is a supplement worthy of taking they make it.check out this site and absorb. u will become hooked.

now i realize i havent pointed out anything for the baller who has consistantly trained for a year er so. first things first u need to get your diet in order. second to training your diet is the most important part. assuming u train, and eat right here is my opinion. if you need to loose weight and are already on a reduced calorie diet i would add hot rox extreeme. i have lost 15lbs in a month takeing hotrox. but say you are relativly lean and would like to add mass. rez v, or alpha male will deffinatly assist you in your goals.

in either case diet will always be your foundation. coffeys article above is good but im gonna add to it. as stated your body gets its fule from 3 sources. the main being carbs, then protien, and fats. i believe these should be consumed in a 50/35/15 ratio respectivly. meaning 50% of your total caloric intake should come from carbs. and so on. there are supplements for each catagory but your main focus should be on protien. a good protien powder simply makes getting your targeted protien level easier. there are many makes and flavors out there. explore to find which u like best. again im going to refer to biotest and grow. tast great and its not real expensive.

but andy, what about creatien?

creatien, while it can be verry usefull at times over the long run it almost servs no purpose. when taking a good source of creatien u will most deffinatly experience an increase in strength. but when creatien is no longer taken most of the strength gained will be lost. u may take it for a 5 week cycle and experience a 5-10 lb gain in your bench. but 2 weeks removed from the cycle u may loose 5 or more of the gained poundages. creatine as a side effect also withholds a large amount of water in the body. so someone training to gain overall mass may gain 5+ lbs in a 4-5 week cycle but most of which is water. so it may be a 2lb gain im muscle. in any event i owuld say any test support formula will do more for increasing strength, weight, and the retention of said charictaristics.

conclusion;
good multi vitamin
protien powder

and depending on specific needs
either a weight loss supplement(hot-rox)
or a test boosting supplement(alpha male)
one case, one kill.
xsv fan # 1038
seiboob feedback
http://f10.putfile.com/7/18218430421.jpg
seiboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 AM #23
AvinTheWicked

has been a member for 10 years
If your talking about paintball exericises, you should really add more leg exercies into the routine. Squats are great for giving you the endurance to maintain a low snap shooting position. Most snapping is done using your legs, plus building muscle in the legs adds the leg strength to get faster.

Also, if you have never done leg exercises, or are returning to them from a long break, you may have a problem with cramping, so stretch before and after lifting.

Also, after you have built muscle and gained a lot of ground in your squats, you can easily tear a muscle (in my case hamstrings) from sprints if you have not properly stretched. Before a game, be sure to really stretch your legs, otherwise you can pull something during the break out.

UTpaintball
AvinTheWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 PM #24
OMGitsSpags

I'm really not addressing just paintballing alone....it's for a healthier lifestyle.
And yes, no matter what way you look at it, being healthier and stronger, will help you, on and off the field.
OMGitsSpags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 AM #25
seiboob
get to the chopper

seiboob is a Supporting Member
to the wicked;

it should be noted that if you strech before physical activity, you should always strech. meaning dont half *** it and strech just some of the time. this its-self can lead to injuries.

but i also want to point out that there have been several studies that have shown no decrease in pulled/tearing of muscle due to not streching. however the same studies show a much larger percent of injuries in people that strech only a portion of the time. reconfirming the prior statment. so if you do decide to strech get into a routine and preform the same routien before any vigorus physical activity.
one case, one kill.
xsv fan # 1038
seiboob feedback
http://f10.putfile.com/7/18218430421.jpg
seiboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:47 PM #26
ion man93

good tips guys
ion man93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:38 AM #27
OMGitsSpags

thanks

You going to try anything out?

LMK if you need help with anything.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:38 PM #28
agent005
Since 1999

agent005 is an NCPA player
agent005 plays in the APPA D4 division
Great Job on the Guide so far, and I would list the various sprints/conditioning drills I do personally (on my own time and for soccer) but I ahve pratice right now, so maybe I will list them later.

And by the way, you basically listed my whole workout
Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM #29
OMGitsSpags

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent005
Great Job on the Guide so far, and I would list the various sprints/conditioning drills I do personally (on my own time and for soccer) but I ahve pratice right now, so maybe I will list them later.

And by the way, you basically listed my whole workout
Yeah, that would be my whole workout, but i've been doing it for too long and went for a more "advanced" outlook. That, and i'm way too lazy to run.

When you get back from practice, PM me with your drills, they'll be a great addition.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:47 PM #30
agent005
Since 1999

agent005 is an NCPA player
agent005 plays in the APPA D4 division
Here is most of the conditioning drills i use for my weekly routine, some are still missing though.

Sprinting/"Become Faster"-

First you must understand there are only 2 ways to become a "faster" runner, which are:

"Turn-around Time"- Time in-between footfalls (amount of time it takes for your feet to hit the ground)

And Stride Length-How far your legs go each time you take a step

To increase turn-around time, I have the following drill you can do

1) Running In Place-May sound like it cannot help much at first, but if done correctly is a key workout to use. You do exactly as it sounds-Run in place. However, you must remember to try and get as many touches as possible in the time frame, I started at 1 minute 30-secs. Also have to remember to raise you knees high, and pump your arms. Your legs will go as fast as your arms do.

To increase Stride Length, you must first remember to CORRECTLY stretch your leg muscles.

1) "Striders" This is a run, but not an all-out sprint, nor a slow jog. The aim is not to run under a certain time, but a certain distance, but stretching your legs in front of you as you run.

^That one is kind of hard to explain, but when done correctly, you should feel your hamstrings (under thighs/quads) stretching while you run.

and yea that took a while to type, I will keep updating every once-in-a-while with more drills to focus on other parts of the body. Many of which help in paintball as well
Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 AM #31
LovinNamerican
LoveYouFlysh

Very long and detailed but very good!!Great stuff to know.
LovinNamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:54 AM #32
OMGitsSpags

anyone been using this?
any updates of strength?

I'll start it...
I've been on this routine/ a similar one for just about a year....
I can bench 200 6x
Curl 90 6x
squat 225 6x (too lazy to work hard on legs)

and I'm 15

any other "success stories?"
Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 AM #33
mquinn96

has been a member for 10 years
Great Thread!!!
I stregnth train and run 30+ miles a week. I'm turning 30 in a couple months though and my training has had to adjust from when I was 20 and played the very first "snake".
First, stretching has taken on a more prominent roll. I do 15 minutes before and after every workout regardless of upper body or legs or running.
Second, Diet becomes more important as one gets to thier 30s (and gasp, 40s and 50s). Multi vitamins, C vitamins, Whey Protien (for days that I lift) and now Glucosamine and Condroiten (SP?). My knees were SHOT from running and doing squats and the joint supplement definately helped. Almost every runner I know over the age of 30 uses it. Also antioxidant rich foods make a big difference too. Finaly, rest in the form of proper sleep and taking one day off a week from all excercise is needed to keep me injury free.
I'm faster than I've ever been, stronger than I've ever been, and I look foward to still mowing the young whippersnappers when I turn 40!!!!

MTX Designs LLC.
www.kajohnson.com

My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1471579
mquinn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 AM #34
pbstealth

I feel working out my abs and lower back are also very important. First off, stronger abs and lower back will help prevent back problems and second i believe it helps with snap shooting. you don't want to lean out using your legs or they will stick out(i have been shot in the knees a couple of times). So you are required to bend at your mid section. I do various forms of crunches and leg lifts as well as lower back work outs. When working your back, you do not want to over do it. start out light and go more for reps than weight.

edit: you don't want to lean out using just your legs. obviously they are the base and the key to staying stable and properly moving around in your bunker.

Last edited by pbstealth : 09-19-2006 at 02:56 AM.
pbstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:12 PM #35
OMGitsSpags

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbstealth
I feel working out my abs and lower back are also very important. First off, stronger abs and lower back will help prevent back problems and second i believe it helps with snap shooting. you don't want to lean out using your legs or they will stick out(i have been shot in the knees a couple of times). So you are required to bend at your mid section. I do various forms of crunches and leg lifts as well as lower back work outs. When working your back, you do not want to over do it. start out light and go more for reps than weight.
wow true that.

I'm 15 and already have back problems...i've always had a weak core
LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

Oh and how much do you, and the old guy (haha just kidding "whippersnapper")
bench/curl/squat and such?

Good luck everyone
-Mike.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 AM #36
pbstealth

i do dumb bell bench. I usually do 3 sets of 6-8 reps of 60 pound dumbells in each hand. I find that bumb bells require more balance and helps me to have more stable arms.

I do 3 sets of 6-8 reps of 40 pounds on each arm for curls.

I don't do actual squats very much. There is a leg press machine that i prefer over standard squats. I do 3 sets of 12 reps on 300-325 depending on the day. (It is easier to do more weight on leg press than it is on squats so don't be amazed)
Old 09-19-2006, 02:53 AM #37
pbstealth

If you want a natural way to increase muscle you really need to work your legs. I was told that working your legs builds up testosterone (sp?) in your body. The result is an overall better capability of building muscle.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 PM #38
OMGitsSpags

true that, I just started working on my legs 2 weeks ago, and my bench went up like 10-20 pounds on my eight rep.

PBstealth, how old are you? You lift the same as me with curling (dumbell) and just 10 pounds less per hand when dumbell benching. Just thought that was kind of cool.

Anyone else doing good?
Old 09-24-2006, 04:01 AM #39
OMGitsSpags

ahhh do this stuff
get strong

be cool
get chicks

ahhhhh
lol

-Mike
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 PM #40
Nofx_Kid
EVIL

Nofx_Kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nofx_Kid is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I am Not An Expert in Excercise and Nutrition.Actually Far From it.
Im a Short but a little big Paintballer.What i've learned is Really don't Be conserned about yur Weight. If you are Concerned then you Have what is "Stress" And "Stress" can cause no "Fat" loss.So just be concerned about Eating healthy.And/or Exercising. And so Don't Be Concerned about your Weight just Focus on being Healthy.

Again,I am not anything of a person to tell you how to lose weight. I am just saying what ive learned.

I hope this helps out you Guys seeking some Healthyness in your Paintball Career!

Ballers Haven Paintball
Shooters Inc
"I gotta go put my wallet in the blender to stop myself from going ham on all this new stuff coming out."
Nofx_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:37 PM #41
01bmf
Healthy body, sick mind.

My wife, who is a ballet dancer, asked me to do pilates with her. I laughed at first, until she told me she'd show me the easy exercises to start with. After doing this for two months, three nights a week, I have noticed a great increase in core strength (abs and that area) and flexibility, and I was in pretty good shape to start with. The core strength will help with snapping and overall balance while the flexibility helps you play tight. You may feel silly doing the exercises at first, but I certainly don't laugh at it any more.
01bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:46 PM #42
OMGitsSpags

both guys above me proved great points

1. stressing about your weight will get you no where, in fact you might get depressed and eat MORE...we don't want that so always stay optimistic and confident.

2. Pilates are great. People can laugh all they want, but the greatest athlete would be nothing if you took away his core strength. Like i've said before, I recently suffered an awfully painful back injury, and I tried snapping and fell right on my ***.

It's not fun.

All these people are great guys and know what they're talking about.

Good job keep it up!!

-Mike.