Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-24-2006, 06:39 PM #1
m-a-r-k-7
Goutentag Hop Clop?

Guide: Pump Mags

Pump Kits

"Pump kit:
The Automag pump kit hasn't been produced since 1997, according to AGD. However, interest in the pump kit seems to have been picking up recently, with pump kits fetching over $100. The idea behind the pump kit is a simple one - the standard blue bolt bumper is replaced with a wave spring and black bumper. When the trigger is pulled, the bolt flies forward, fires the ball and then the bolt spring pushes the bolt back into place. However, the wave spring keeps the bolt from returning fully (causing what is known as 'bolt stick'). A pump rod lying in a groove in the rail is pushed backward to return the bolt fully to the rear.

Here are the two pages showing the parts and assembly instructions for the pump kit (taken from AGD's site): http://haveblue.org/tech/automag/pump.pdf

The black bumper is 1/16" thick, 3/4" OD and approximately 0.465" ID.

The wave spring is about 0.93" OD, 0.737" ID with a free height of approximately 0.2" and a compressed (solid) height of approximately 0.04". The spring is made of three turns of 0.094" wide, 0.012" thick strip. The closest match from Smalley appears to be the C100-M1, with specs here: http://www.smalley.com/SpringPropert...artNbr=C100-M1

Note that you must have a body with an enlarged sear slot to be able to use the pump kit. According to the above .pdf document, all bodies made after June 1994 have the enlarged sear slot. However, recently made guns appear to have a narrow sear slot - AGD must have returned to the old style slot after discontinuing the pump kit. [Anyone with further information, please contact me] This enlarged sear slot also has a small bevel by one corner where the pump rod passes under.

Kolea Hara provided this photo which shows the difference between a standard body and one with the enlarged slot for the pump rod:

Thanks go to Connieandsimon@sprint.ca and the Toronto Recreational Paintball Club for these two pictures of the pump kit:

Here's a scan from an issue of APG that shows how the kit gets installed:
"

Thanks to http://haveblue.org/tech/automag/index.html fif this information.
Also visit link for CAD's of the pump kit and other Mag parts

If you need a slot milled in your rail for the pump arm both of these guys can do it.

Brad Nestle http://www.bunkerboyz.com/phog/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Rainman229 www.rainman229.com

-Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by KartaKeeper : 07-24-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 PM #2
A-Tach-One
AKA & CCM = Quality

According to my Airgun Design Pump Gun Convertion Kit instructions to get this "kit" to work you needed a body with enlarged sear slot and a rail milled for pump rod. Do those instructions you have pictured say it comes with a rail? These are instructions to a Gen 2 kit. When did the first generation hit the public?
By the way, Awesome job on all your guides!!!!!

Last edited by A-Tach-One : 07-24-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:06 PM #3
KartaKeeper
PLAY IT - Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
KartaKeeper is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tach-One
According to my Airgun Design Pump Gun Convertion Kit instructions to get this "kit" to work you needed a body with enlarged sear slot and a rail milled for pump rod. Do those instructions you have pictured say it comes with a rail? These are instructions to a Gen 2 kit. When did the first generation hit the public?
By the way, Awesome job on all your guides!!!!!
some of the kits may have come with rails i wasnt around when they were realeased so i dont know

but usualy you have to find a machinist to mill an existing rail to the specs to get it to work

finding a rail mileld for the slot w/out the kit is VERY rare these days
Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 PM #4
A-Tach-One
AKA & CCM = Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartaKeeper
finding a rail mileld for the slot w/out the kit is VERY rare these days
Isn't that the truth. I also think some mag owners wouldn't realize that they had one unless they were looking for it. lol I just saw a 68mag for sale with a blue rail on it. You could see the slot in the rail from the front but no mention of it being a pump rail in the thread.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 PM #5
pump_shooty

I know of a few that have them and didn't know. One local guy with a mini mag had no idea but I let him know and it did make him much happier with his gun just knowing that he had a fairly rare piece on it.

I was supprised by the photos up above having a factory made pump rail in black. I hadn't seen this before and was led to believe they may not have been produced. Most of the ones I have seen have been blue and a few reds.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:01 PM #6
pump_shooty

oh and since there are pics of em in here I'll post mine (still under construction as of 8-4-06)

and I have a add for paintball sams with a pic of Oh Pawlock
Old 08-04-2006, 04:15 PM #7
Arstron
fusionowners.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by pump_shooty
I was supprised by the photos up above having a factory made pump rail in black. I hadn't seen this before and was led to believe they may not have been produced. Most of the ones I have seen have been blue and a few reds.
Just so you know, the eclipse splashed rail pictured above does not have a factory pump slot, it was milled by somone around a year ago, and I really wish I still had that gun!
For Sale: Carter Custom Mini Comp - Tequila Fade Emag
WTB your broken DP markers.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 PM #8
Sumthinwicked
Reapa

muhahha its mine and looks about 15 times better now and has a functional seaR!!!! PICK > http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16502021665.jpg&s=f5 AND YEA THATS A FREAK ON IT
Old 08-04-2006, 06:36 PM #9
NeoApollo
In With the Out Crowd

NeoApollo is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumthinwicked
muhahha its mine and looks about 15 times better now and has a functional seaR!!!! PICK > http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16502021665.jpg&s=f5 AND YEA THATS A FREAK ON IT
That is the HOTTEST PUMP EVER.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:00 AM #10
Sumthinwicked
Reapa

thankx i try i started to make em to LOL visit my homepage
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 AM #11
Arstron
fusionowners.org

Looking good sumthinwicked, I have been wondering how she was doing. That stock was a nice touch to her. I am debating right now on if I want to buy a phantom pump or build me another pump mag to top the last one.
For Sale: Carter Custom Mini Comp - Tequila Fade Emag
WTB your broken DP markers.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 AM #12
Dryden
Team Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tach-One
I believe the first gen kits were available around '96-'97. The second gen "attic" kits were available in '01. Most of the Automags and Minimags made around the time of the pump kits debut ('96) came with the body and rail pump-ready. This was around the time that the 68Automag was rebranded the Automag Classic, and the Minimags were finally selling for less than $500. My first Minimag, which I bought NIB, mail order from I&I Sports in '96, had a pump body and rail, though of course I didn't know it at the time, since I had never seen a pump kit before.