Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 AM #43
MondoMor

Glad to have another Type-R owner around.

I finally played a game (an all-day scenario) with mine and am pretty well pleased. CO2 wasn't a problem at all (though I have a remote) even in the sub-60 degree wet weather, and the modified Ion regulator seems to be doing well. I forgot to see what shooting 3/4ths of a case did for breaking in the regs. I'm hoping for better consistency.

I had a horrible problem with getting enough "oomf" out of the ram on the first shot when I'd gone several minutes without shooting. A new battery seemed to cure this for a time, but then it came back. Both batteries were brand new.

I'm going to do some tests with the T-board, and check around the Diablo forums to see if Wrath guys have encountered this problem and what they've done about it. It's my first FASOR, you see.

Edit: looks like some classic First Shot Drop-Off symptoms. Maybe I ought to increase my dwell a bit...

So as a tongue out to all the "OMG U CAN'T USE CO2 IN UR EP GUN IT WILL DIE" nay-sayers - you're wrong. HPA is definitely better, but with some precautions CO2 works fine.

Last edited by MondoMor : 09-11-2006 at 11:33 AM.
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2006, 06:48 PM #44
body massage machine
House of Cosbys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor
So as a tongue out to all the "OMG U CAN'T USE CO2 IN UR EP GUN IT WILL DIE" nay-sayers - you're wrong. HPA is definitely better, but with some precautions CO2 works fine.

Me too!

Does the ion reg work w/ the stock macroline fittings that come w/ the type-r gas thru grip?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM #45
MondoMor

I am not 100% sure the Ion regulator I have has the fitting that originally came on it (it came in a "box o' parts"). Whatever it had, it did fit onto the stock Type-R macroline.

I would bet someone else's small fortune that the gas-thru foregrip has a 1/8" NPT fitting just like everybody else's. I would also bet that the macroline is standard, so fittings from just about anybody would work on the Type-R and vice-versa.

Keep in mind I did switch the spring from the Type-R's bottomline "regulator" with the spring inside the Ion reg. I had to do this because I was having trouble getting the Ion reg with its factory spring to get more than 200psi. I then put a couple of dimes between the bottomline reg's piston and the adjuster nut, then screwed it in all the way. So now if I ever need to use a pinvalve tank, it will still work, and not interfere with the Ion regulator. The bottomline reg is basically acting like an ASA now.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:25 PM #46
pbmagnet4

will a cp wprk with an hpa tank set up??? it the asa stock on/off, will the stock macro fit the cp, will a stock wrath board work? how about fbm triggers?
pbmagnet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 PM #47
MondoMor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmagnet4
will a cp wprk with an hpa tank set up???
I've seen so many CP regs on "High-End" guns, that I'm sure CP regs work with HPA.

Quote:
it the asa stock on/off
The ASA on the Type-R is not an on/off, it's half of a regulator. It's frequently called a "bottom-line" regulator, and it uses the pin valve on your tank to control pressure.

If you replace the gas-through foregrip on the Type-R with a real HPR, you must screw in the "bottomline" regulator adjuster all the way in to keep it from affecting airflow out of the tank.

Quote:
will the stock macro fit the cp
Yes. The Type-R uses standard macroline, and standard fittings.

Quote:
will a stock wrath board work?
I don't think so, not without some modifications. I used the Scenario Dreams Dragun TES board, which works (but also requires modifications). The first post in this thread talks about them.

Quote:
how about fbm triggers?
Don't know. The Type-R grip frame is very similar to the Wrath's (judging by pictures), and I strongly suspect Wrath triggers will work, but I don't know of anyone who has actually done it.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 PM #48
MondoMor

I'm having a little trouble with FSDO on my Type-R.

It was pretty annoying in the last game, but after rebuilding everything, and realizing I was rebuilding the LPR incorrectly, things are much better.

I can tune the marker in and get ~280fps pretty well, but if I leave it alone for five minutes, the very first shot will be below 200fps.

I've verified the LPR is no longer creeping up in pressure, and my solenoid is well lubed with Hater Sauce, so I'm kind of stumped for what to do next.

In my last experiments with settings, I settled on 8mS for dwell. Maybe I'll up that to 10mS and see what that does...

Also, Intimidator detents work OK but require trimming with a nice, sharp razor blade. The base is too large in diameter (I cut mine down to a hexagon shape) and a little too thick.

I don't have a force-feed hopper, so I can't tell you if a beefier detent is needed, though.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:55 AM #49
jimmysch

Shot my TypeR yesterday with under 1000 psi left in the tank.
To my amazement the TypeR actually shot well down to about when input pressure was 130 psi, then the paintballs started to act like they were lobbed out.

I haven't experienced any drop-offs or any other problems, but then I run HPA.

Lubricate the solenoid??? Should I do that at all?

Oh well... I'll leave it alone as long as it works well.

/J
jimmysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 AM #50
MondoMor

Last game, I was trying to figure out the cause of my FSDO, and thought maybe I was low on CO2. When I opened the on/off valve on the tank, it only vented for a few seconds. I was VERY low.

Good to know that we can shoot so far into our tanks.

I finally broke down and bought a used HPA tank, which ought to arrive soon. It's getting cold here, and I don't really want to deal with CO2's "issues" with cold weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysch
Lubricate the solenoid??? Should I do that at all?
I think even a drop or two of synthetic marker oil (like blowbacks use) dropped into the hose between the LPR and the solenoid will keep it pretty happy, especially on HPA. Just unscrew that little collar around the hose, slide it back towards the VA, pull off the hose, and put a drop or two in, and you should be Golden.

The LPR is the same as used on the Diablo Wrath, so if you check the stickies in the Diablo forum, you should see the Wrath maintenance guide. Most of this applies to the Type-R.

It's good to see people are enjoying them.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:44 AM #51
jimmysch

I actually made a video of my type R when firing a couple of shots.

Sadly my spoken english really sucks and I am a complete moron who forgot the gun was in "safe" so the video is laughable at best.

I shall look into some hosting anytime soon and post it here for yall to enjoy,

/Jimmy the moronic Swede
jimmysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 AM #52
MondoMor

Your written English is better than most people who post on PBN, and they've been learning it since they were born.

I'm 25% Swede, so I won't laugh.

Much.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:15 AM #53
fruktflugan

has been a member for 10 years
Thanks for the kind words MondoMor.

I am currently upping the video, don't expect too much though. It was just a simple test both of the marker and my digicam's movie ability.
fruktflugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:36 PM #54
fruktflugan

Here it finally is.

Basically I lift the gun up, fire a couple of shots and then turn off the movie.

At the same time I am trying to speak english without sounding too horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRyHdqzTL6s

Laugh it up yall. Laugh it up!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:05 PM #55
MondoMor

Nice looking Type-R.

There's nothing wrong with your English. You're easier to understand than the Scottish co-workers I had a couple of years ago, and English was their first language! Drinking was their second, and I think one of them spoke a little French.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 PM #56
MondoMor

A Lucky Cyborg "Air-Assist" (balanced) valve is on the way. If it works, it will require a LOT less LPR pressure to open the valve, which might just lick my FSDO problems. I should have comparison pictures up Thursday.

Holy crap Lucky ships fast. The valve arrived this morning. Diameter is perfect, length is probably OK, and as expected the air port and retaining pin are not centered on the valve body. Thank goodness this is a FASOR and I can shave down the ram as needed.

Last edited by MondoMor : 10-17-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:57 PM #57
MondoMor

You can see my evil experiments with hacking up an innocent valve here.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM #58
fruktflugan

Went out today with a couple of ballers to play reball. Shot my Type-R with angels, timmys and whatnot.

It feels really good when your 130 dollar marker works the entire day without malfunctions and you see players with markers 10x as expensive having the greatest trouble getting their marker to run.
I got to lend out my Type-R 3 times today to malfunctioning expensive guns.

Sure, the trigger is rather crappy and it feels a lot cheaper... ...but the Type-R works!

Yess!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:31 PM #59
body massage machine
House of Cosbys

with a few mods, you can put a new trigger in it and get rid of the "cheap" feel as well. I would take mine over most of your more complicated "high end" markers any day. I've never had a problem with mine that I haven't been able to fix in about 5 min... and now that I know what caused the problem I can prevent it from ever happening again. yay for simple design!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:21 PM #60
DOME

Do HPA stock tank regulators every go bad and cause consistency spicking? I have fixed o rings all over my gun and verticle reg and oiled everything, and I have a four year old Java 68ci 4500 and i'm spickin really bad over chronos.
DOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM #61
body massage machine
House of Cosbys

anything with moving parts can go bad... you could have gotten a dirty fill, or it could have been defective in some way. try using somebody else's tank at the chrono to help diagnose your problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM #62
insomniac2k1

My son recently came of age to start playing paintball, so I started taking a look around for possible guns. I came to the concusion that the REX Type-r would be a great starter gun, and a good excuse for me to get back into the sport that I love. I picked this gun up for him off Ebay for $60 with free shipping and have been amazed by its cost/performance.

I immediately started shopping for upgrades. I'll link here what I have tested and what I intend on testing:

T-board -

http://www.scenariodreams.com/oscomm...roducts_id=107 - Drop-in replacement T-board. 0 modifications necessary. Although the large cap on the board pushes up on the grip a tiny bit (1/16") too big at most. It's very do-able, and wont effect anything more then just raising your grip a tiny bit on the very back side of the gun.

If that bothers you, you could just drill a hole in the metal backing plate on the grip to make a bit more room for the cap. No biggy.

The stock boards eye sensitivity was terrible at best for my sons and a few of my friends that picked up a Type-R. The T-boards eye sensitivity adjustment is great and seems to work flawlessly so far.

The T-board has a charging port on it, but would require you to drill your Type-R frame to allow access to it (which I intend on doing). I have already placed an order for a charging brick that looks like it should work w/o issue. Just google kingman or spyder 9.6v charger. I cant tell you if the charge end is the same as the T-boards, but If its not, I will be heading over to radio shack to find one that I can convert with or splice on. Shouldn't be difficult. I will post my experience with this as soon as it arives.

In order to get the functionality out of the T-board, it had to use the Type-R's top frame hole where the stock boards LED used to be. This makes it difficult to see what setting and mode the T-board is on unless you have the grip open and see the LED on the board. I found this to be a bit annoying, so I decided to mod it a bit. Keep in mind that if you do mod the grip, DO NOT screw up. To my knowledge, the grip is not replaceable (Someone please tell me that they know of a source for new grip replacements).

So this is where i tell you that I screwed up my grip, but did get the functionality that I wanted in the end. I will post some pictures at another time to better describe it:

Grip -

On the inside of the stock grip, there is an annoying and very think metal insert, right in the place where a window would be on (older) higher end guns. Being that I was going to try to make room for the capacitor that was a bit too large, i felt that it would benefit me to just remove this annoying metal piece and then carve out the areas that needed to be modified. In retrospect, this was likely a mistake. The metal piece did not come out clean, and i tore a few spots on the grip. I ended up having to put a large window for what should have been a very small hole, big enough to see a small LED light. Not pretty, but I can now see the LED through the grip.

Hind sight -

A better mod would be to drill through the metal with a large bit, stopping short of drilling through the rubber grip on the outside. Then drilling through the grip with a smaller drill bit. This would give you a lip that you could hot glue or epoxy a little piece of plastic to the rubber on the inside. Thus giving you a small window to see the LED through. You could also drill the area that the capacitor hits the metal to make a little more room there.

OR-

You could drill a small hole in the frame right where the LED is, which would allow you to see the LED light (this would be my first choice next time). You could even put a little sheet of plastic on the inside if you were worried about contaminates getting in.

I have a few more mods im considering, but I want to take it out of a few more test runs before I determine if there are necessary or not.

Ball detent -

Same as the original poster. Using a better detent is a MUST if your going to use a force feed hopper. I used one of my PBK blue intimidator detents (minor mod necessary). Seems to work fine so far. I will more feedback on it after I hit the field again.

Aftermarket Ram and spring -

I just finished communication with Ron @ Alamo city paintball and sent him the dimensions to the ram in the Type-R. He confirmed that the Wrath delrin ram is compatible with the type-R. I will be ordering the Ram and Spring kit shortly and post my results. Here's where you get them: http://www.alamocitypb.com/MANUFACTPAGES/wrath.html You are looking for the one that works with the Wrath, AR-1, and Slayer marker. Not the LTD.

Last edited by insomniac2k1 : 05-11-2010 at 05:04 PM.
insomniac2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:58 AM #63
insomniac2k1

Took the gun out this last weekend. The thing fired amazing. It kept pace and passed up my 2k2 timmy w/ups no problem. Unfortunately, my sons hopper(reloaderB) didn't come in time. So he was forced to run an agitator most of the day. That in itself was a good test for the stock eyes w/ the T-board. The eyes worked flawlessly. The only problem with the eyes (bouncebeam) is that they are very finicky about two tone or odd tone paint. Every solid shell paint has worked great. Including dark brown.

I will definitely be getting the wrath delrin ram and lightened spring for this gun. So far, it's been a great purchase.
insomniac2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote