PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM #1
Ferrariman764
Actually Not A 2k6/7'er

has been a member for 10 years
Advertising for a field?

Besides spreading the word on pbn how did you guys advertise your fields/stores when you were just starting up?
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 AM #2
Drummer5150

I dont Advertise... its all Word of mout.. that is the best advertisement you can have. Ive tried radio and tv spots but with little sucess... treat your customers fair and be very strict on the rules and they will tell other people about you..... especially the parents they love the fact that you are strict with the rules and keep their kids in line...
Drummer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 AM #3
bokraham
Rock Lobster!!!

from a players point of view all that i can say is that you should have a well represented and well done website.
other than that word of mouth
bokraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:35 AM #4
Palfguy
Dildos

I really hate fields that have a ****ty website.
Just make sure it has every single detail about your field on it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:01 PM #5
pbfan3068
MW

Usually, a well-designed website, reasonable prices, and great employees help a field grow. The third part is hard to come by in certain areas.

My Feedback (+35/-0)
pbfan3068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:21 PM #6
Ferrariman764
Actually Not A 2k6/7'er

I get that word of mouth is great. I was just looking for a little extra something to get the word out before we open. Once people see the place then word of mouth really kicks in, but before that...
Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 PM #7
pbfan3068
MW

50% off admission, discounted paint (high enough for a profit though) for the first week, etc. That usually gets people to swing by. If your field is well-run, people will come back and word of mouth will have a greater effect.

My Feedback (+35/-0)
pbfan3068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 PM #8
toby1237 (Banned)

Hey man , heres an idea run a tourney , like a 3man or a 5man. That should get the people there.
toby1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM #9
Ferrariman764
Actually Not A 2k6/7'er

We are running a special for the opening. If what I do is just spread the word on pbn about the special do you think it will get out there enough?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 PM #10
Headshotted
www.icd-owners.com

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Post it in the Regional Forum Hey, why not?

Show the beginning players good times, enforce rules, and pull the elitest kids that are killing the day. You know it happens, you get that crew of kids who think they are better than others for various reasons, and then your like "Wtf m8" as they startputting down begginers and seasoned vets for no reason. Enforce the rules well, and pull the kids who seem to put a damper on it.

Last edited by Headshotted : 07-14-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Headshotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 PM #11
Ferrariman764
Actually Not A 2k6/7'er

It is posted in the regional forum. Its been up for 4 days and we already have 18 pages of discussion. It's a lot of the same people talking over and over again. I don't feel like enough people have seen the thread to know about it.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 PM #12
Utpbmom

Utpbmom is an Premier field/store owner
Once we had our opening day set, we started handing out flyers with our info on them, as well as 2 for 1 entry coupons at the bottom. We had flyers posted at all the local colleges, high schools, rec. centers, etc. (most of these places have free boards, you just have to get permission to post on them)

We also bought vendor space at a regional tournament that was taking place 2 weeks before we opened, that really helped get the word out.

There are several free avenues out there, one is the local entertainment books (around here they are called Happenings and Gold C), it is free to put coupons in them, you just have to agree to honor the coupon for 1 year, and it has to be a Buy One get one type coupon. (www.entertainment.com)

There are also companies that will put together pages of coupons (ie 10 free entries, must purchase 500 paintballs, etc.) they are also free to you the business owner. (www.smartcircleinternational.com)

Both of these make their money from selling the books/coupons to consumers. You just have to agree to honor the coupons.

Another way to get your name out there is to donate gift certificates to any and all charity organizations who are holding silent auctions. Not only are you building your reputation as a valuable part of the community, you are being exposed to groups that you would probably not otherwise be exposed to.

You can also sponsor your local high school clubs, we sponsor both sports teams and literary type clubs at several high schools around our field. It isn't free, but it is much cheaper than radio or TV.

Anyway, all of these have worked quite well for us (The Entertainment book is BY FAR the best advertising we have done, with the exception of our Yellow Pages ad).

I hope at least some of this is helpful!
Utpbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 PM #13
Ferrariman764
Actually Not A 2k6/7'er

That is very helpful thanks.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 AM #14
furby37
Friendship4sale

Theatre?Captive audience seeing the same ad several times.....

Anything you've read here is MY opinion.Get your own.
furby37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:54 PM #15
Paint and Air Sportz (Banned)

if its reball for your grand opening i would have FREE admison/reballs, Free paintball is all paintballers dream, and for that day it would be a dream come true to many players.
Paint and Air Sportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:16 PM #16
Ferrariman764
Actually Not A 2k6/7'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint and Air Sportz
if its reball for your grand opening i would have FREE admison/reballs, Free paintball is all paintballers dream, and for that day it would be a dream come true to many players.
That would be nice, but that is very unrealistic. We would lose money because we have to pay the staff, pay for the electricity to light the place, run our compressor, and keep the Air Conditioning going. 35 dollars for over eight hours of paintball is incredibly cheap already.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 AM #17
Pballchips
Make it rip

I tried radio, WASTE OF MONEY WOW, had an amazing website (now for sale I should point out) and had ridiculis (sp) paint specials. Nothing really worked.

The only thing that worked was word of mouth through businesses to do corporate outings (very big bucks) and the newspaper. IT was about 350 bucks and I had 5-8 groups lines up by the end of the week the first day the ad run. I paid the ad off in the first day. Keep in mind this was a small town of about 17,000 ppl that was quite.....virginized to paintball? Sure that will work.

too lazy to read my crappy story....newspaper ad kicked butt.

I sell everything under the sun: Cologne, Cameras, T.V's, Fashion, you name it I have it.
Pballchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 AM #18
2ndguess

2ndguess is a Supporting Member
A couple thoughts:

1. Have a consistent brand and brand message.
2. Know your market and demographics.
3. It's all about keywords on your website. A local field I helped to market was getting customers in groups from as far away as Israel and Ireland.
4. Good info. online trumps good design (but poor design sends a negative brand message).
5. Capitalize on PR opportunities to raise awareness. The ROI can be much more effective than buying ads. For example, when a local resident got shot by a paintball in a drive-by shooting, we used it as an opportunity to speak out against such an act and to demonstrate PB safety. We got play in print, radio and TV media the next day. The field owner said he got more calls that week than he had in a long time. Another angle: the local business press picked up the story about the field trying to market to other local business for group outings.
6. Make your collateral work for you. Things like stickers, license plate frames and the like are cheap, mobile ads (e.g., DYE attaches stickers to its clothing which effectively sells a product and creates an advertiser).
7. A CRM system need not be inexpensive with the right amount of creativity/consultation (not sure why small businesses, esp. pb business, don't do this more...).
8. Use a marketing mix (ads, online, PR, etc.)

Good luck.

-An Accredited PR pro.
2ndguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:00 PM #19
bangerboyz2
Loving my DM

ok, I'm a player When I started out I found my place to play by when I was out some where. Then When I got older and now I was looking at the websites. And listening to other people at fields but I don't know if you are aloud to do this but goto the close field and tell everyone about it there when you are on the field speicial if you are a good player I listen A lot more to the players better then me so I can become that good one day. Also A website IS A++++ have many pics all the info maybe some vids field layout (Never sence that before but would like to). And goto Pbreview and add your field to the list sponsor some a team. give them discount on paint or something. Good Luck....
bangerboyz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:11 PM #20
FrizzleHimself
♥ Get That Scrilla

My Friend is starting a field soon and we went around to local shops and gave free admission passes that they would give away when a marker was purchased. And if the customers have a good time they will be sure to come back..
Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 AM #21
fireisland
New Jersey Jesters

fireisland plays in the PSP
fireisland posts videos on PbNation
fireisland plays in the APPA D1 division
fireisland is Legendary
k

sponsor a local team then send em recruting ....p.s make your web sight snazzy i looked and no good, and two of my guys went this weekend, they said kool ,but set ur feild up better , . ohhhhh one more thing lol have a thing where ur customers get discounts for bringing parties, like if they brign first tiem players or somthing or first timers to ur feild...i can tell u i would still be at abc paintball in the woods if a freind didnt MAKE me go to ejam...now i love the game..so have players spread the word .anyway good luck with ur feild i think my team will start practising their ...hope i helped
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4078045

KONG-KER MEDIA
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsZpnwjGILIqoV6531cZOsg

Last edited by fireisland : 08-07-2006 at 01:52 AM.
fireisland is offline   Reply With Quote