Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM #1
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

NECanes Coach is a Supporting Member
NECanes Coach is a Professional paintball player
"Paintball is my life...Being Pro is my dream."

Hey guys. Thanks to all that posted in my other threads about being Pro. I let those threads go, because I think it is time to freshen up the conversation.

We just held a clinic at Boston Paintball, and it went great. There were some kids there that have a chance to be great players. When it was over, I had a thought.

I have spent hours talking to players about their dreams to reach the Pro ranks. The most common thing I tell them, is that it 's very important to take advantage of opportunities. Timing is everything. When your shot is there, take it.

How many of you have had Clinics held in your area?

How many of you went?

I talk to tons of players in my local area, and not ONE of the those guys was at the our clinic.

I wonder how many will be at the P&L Clinic coming up.

Timing is everything. Some of you seem to think you have what it takes, and the opportunity to shine in front of the people you need to impress is upon you, yet you let it slip away?

Is it because of the cost?

Hmmm...$60 total for 2 cases of paint, and that is cheap. $20 in total field fees, also cheap...
So, $220 is for the time... 10 hours of instruction...$22 per hour.

I am open to suggestions. (Skeptics, pelase don't waste our time. I really want to talk to the guys who are serious about this.)

Would a one day clinic be better? (Half the cost)

Would you rather a Golf Pro type of set up? You make an appointment, and pay by the hour at a field.

Will you only go if it were free, and the Pros/Coaches were donating their time?

For those of you not in my area. I am curious to know what you guys think as well.

Do you go to the clinics n your area when they happen? If not, why not
Hurricane Facebook Fan Site
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2006, 10:26 AM #2
IrAgg

Just a thought on the cost:

You asked if we would go if it were free, I know that I would, but I don't think that it would be as beneficial to the players that REALLY want to be there. These players WOULD pay if need be. Then you are going to have people that are just there because it is free and that makes the instructor:player ratio worse.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 AM #3
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
I think A free clinic is cool...The idea would draw alot of people. But is it realistic? No. I think all "reasonable" and "down to earth" amateur players know that Being Pro isn't this grand life of flowing cash. I can imagine it as college all over again, with more drinking. So for me to go to a free clinic, would make me feel like i'm stealing from the poor. I feel like I should have to pay for a clinic. If a Pro wants to donate their time, they will do so when they are at practice (99% of the time).
I think a One day clinic works the best...Then there is no hassleing. Or perhaps a weekend clinic, but just the same thing on saturday as on sunday. Give people a chance to conform to their schedules.
The only experience I have had in my area is to go to STL. The Pro's who practice there are great people. They take time out to play with amatuer players and Help them if they have questions.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 AM #4
jps332
▄Seven▄▄

worth the money
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM #5
Xaerak
Just Live

Xaerak is a Supporting Member
Xaerak supports Bob Gurnsey
D.A I live in northern Maine, so it's about an 8 hour drive to get there. Although the clinic is what? 300$? It's not bad. It's hard for me to balance that when I'm playing and then have to pay for a clinic. But I feel that it is most certainly worth it. It's just that the distance is hard for us to overcome. However, I would love to go!

Nick
Old 07-11-2006, 12:18 PM #6
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
I'm not in the NE area, but I'll give my input anyway.

If there was a clinic in my area, I would be there. If I had the money I would be there for sure, if I didn't, I would get a loan. In an area like the one where I live, a pro clinic might come around every 3 years or so, so when one comes around (if it ever does), I'll be there.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:34 PM #7
Badmax18
Foot Soldier

Badmax18 is a Supporting Member
DA - I just figured I give my feedback, even though it won't apply directly to paintball...

I played NCAA D1 Baseball during my college times. We had clinics every year and the turnout was awesome. We tried couple different things over years, which also incl 1 day and 2 day clinics. Feedback wise, the 2 day was more valuable to the 'player'. We received feedback from the players via personal conversations, emails, and surveys which we handed out after the clinic was over, so we knew where to improve on. The last year I played, my senior yr, we gave the option for the players to sign up either for the 1 day, or the 2nd day as well. While we knew the 2 day was more popular, out of 55 kids, only 8 chose the 1 day session. Everybody else stayed the extra day to learn more and try to learn even more.

Our price was also around the 200 bucks for the 2 day session, and 135 for the one day. While 'Free' is very appealing to people, keep in mind that the crowd might not be the best it could be. I'm not saying Free is bad, but my point is that you probably get some 'jack-offs' who are just there to fazz around. If you have a price tag to it, at least the chances are higher that the people that are there take it more serious. But than again, nothing is garanteed.

My personal opinion is this: I'm 28, married, no kids...however, if I had kids I would not hestitate to sign them up for the 2 day session. The players and coaches simply benefit from this a lot more. Be it from more drills, or, as you stated, simply talking to people and other players between drills. It might even allow for some side '1-on-5s' where one coach instructs in smaller groups and gets to learn the players and their skills a little better.

Maybe this does not work in pb, but we were always very successful with the clinics we had, plus it allowed to support the Team in one way or another.

Cheers and good luck!

Ollie

Last edited by Badmax18 : 07-11-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 PM #8
dantriggerhappy

Your clinic prices are relatively cheap compared to most of the other camps/clinics that are held. However, being that this is only one clinic, it does not help everyone. Also, some clinics are so far away that they aren't worth the trip when it comes down to the cost of the clinic, the paint, the gas money, the food money, and the time spent traveling.

Disgustingly Large Sale
Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 PM #9
Badmax18
Foot Soldier

Good point Dan. I guess if they hold it at major Metro Areas they still should be able to get a good crowd. Maybe they would be able to set up a deal with local Hotels for the out-of-towners...
Old 07-11-2006, 01:10 PM #10
Nrtheastah
Lovin' the Nelspot!!!

Nrtheastah is a Supporting Member
Nrtheastah is a Paintball photographer
Dave,

The clinics are absolutely worth the money. Most sports have such things, and they all cost something. I agree with Badmax in that a free clinic would attract too many individuals who just want to be there for the sake of being there, and not to truly learn. He also had a good point about providing some local hotel information for the non-local players.

The clinic was absolutely well worth the money. I wish more of my team could have gone, but for many of them it was a money issue, for others it was a scheduling thing. My son attended and I was going to make sure he was not going to miss it. The format you have is great and should remain as is. Going through various drills the first day and following that up on the second day with scrimmages that incorporate those drills is the best way to reinforce what was learned.

One thing I find is funny – Many players would balk at the price tag of a clinic, but wouldn’t think twice about spending hundreds on some unnecessary upgrade for their gun, or buy another gun (even if they already have one that works well). For me, I can’t see how an anno job on a gun, which can run hundreds, is more important than an opportunity to learn new skills hone your existing ones with pros who are taking the time out of their schedule to teach you. To each his own I guess.

To answer one of your questions, I think that one day clinics are OK, but you really need the two days to reinforce what you are teaching. I did have one player who only attended the second day and he did get a ton out of it. For him, it wasn’t the cost – he just couldn’t make it the first day because of a prior commitment. As much as he got out of it, he would have gotten exponentially more had he been able to attend both days.

This was the third pro clinic my son has gone to, and there will be more to come. Two were local, one was across the country. For many, traveling across the country is not an option. For those people, it is fortunate that you have offered these clinics here. I am certainly grateful for this, as well as any kind of opportunity and will take advantage of every one that I can.

Thanks to you and everyone else for setting up the clinic!

Roy
Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 PM #11
Badmax18
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrtheastah
Dave,
One thing I find is funny – Many players would balk at the price tag of a clinic, but wouldn’t think twice about spending hundreds on some unnecessary upgrade for their gun, or buy another gun (even if they already have one that works well). For me, I can’t see how an anno job on a gun, which can run hundreds, is more important than an opportunity to learn new skills hone your existing ones with pros who are taking the time out of their schedule to teach you. To each his own I guess.
QFT
Old 07-11-2006, 01:27 PM #12
dantriggerhappy

I agree, however I feel that many true players who really want to improve their game would spend that money on playing/attending clinics rather than buying an upgrade. That seperates the posers from the real thing, and that difference is further shown on the playing field.

Disgustingly Large Sale
Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 PM #13
ctpaintballa42

I guess it can go either way.

Its hard for me, no car, go travel 2 hours each way on my parents time for a clinic both days. Now staying in a hotel could work but thats extra money there. I think 1 day clinics might work better than two days for alot of scheduling reasons.

Two day clinics could also be good becuase you can reinforce what you learn. Its very beneficial.

I hope to get up to one of the clinics soon. If you have one during the week before summer ends, more than likely I would be able to make it, unless its just a one day deal and I would def. hit it up.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 PM #14
jps332
▄Seven▄▄

I was there and have no regrets about paying parents back for the price of the clinic
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM #15
masspb

I absolutely think the clinics is worth the money but in the persons eye dropping that much money right away on something that is intangible might steer people the other direction.

Getting stuff at the expense of others is always great, but realistically how many people would donate their time when they will receive nothing in return?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:34 PM #16
snoop13

snoop13 is a Supporting Member
i dont minf the pricing so much. if i lived in the boston area i can almost guarantee that i would be up at the clinics. there will be a pro clinic near me real soon, and i plan on going. i have been to two clinics previously, one with justice and another with dynasty. i walked away from both a better player and also a few more connections as far as networking goes. overall were both good experiences. clinics are definitely worth the money.
DC NASTY
Pants Sale
Jersey Sale
Old 07-11-2006, 04:41 PM #17
frazierfury (Banned)
94' v6 camaro

i would definitely go to a camp if it was in my area(indiana) no matter what the price, to me it is worth it
Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 PM #18
Paint-it-up
Love♠Hate™

Paint-it-up owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paint-it-up supports Team VICIOUS
Paint-it-up plays in the APPA beginner division
Paint-it-up has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If there were any clinics anywhere near me, or in NY (possibly at NVP in Rochester???), I would not hestiate to attend a clinic.
Cost is somewhat a factor, but the prices you listed above are very reasonable for a two day clinic.
From what I know, there havnt been any clinics near my hometown, otherwise I would have known about them.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 PM #19
hybrids
I try hard atleast....

Im yet to go to a paintball clinic, but i play soccer for private clubs and won states and stuff, and in my experience 1 day clinics didnt truely help, it took to long to get going, not enough time to specificly target everthing and everyone so most ppl left learning the basics they already knew, and not knowig what they did wrong, only what the other guy did...

And the prices arent bad, i know i went to a 2 day soccer clinic with a bunch of ppl from europe for 600, that was pricey...

I think the biggerst opstical if getting the word out, although the kids on nation will know, and the field it will be at, the other fields wont, i know i didnt know about the last one until the day before when i got an email from lori, and by then it was 2 late... I think getting posters and the word out to all the local and surrounding fields would help. the kids who realy want to learn are not on the teams who know about it, and aren't realy in the loop, they miss out...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 PM #20
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la*

rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* supports Team VICIOUS
i know id definitly do 1-1 lessons if it was under 30 an hour

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post15332664
My feedback -------- 0 negative
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 PM #21
benpb03

benpb03 is a Professional paintball player
i have an idea, you say the paint is basicaly 2 cases for 30 each meaning that paint is basically at buying cost to a dealer. So your not really making money off of the paint. If you had it a 1 day or even a 2 day but you had it be byop i think it would draw more attention. Maybe for some sitll have the price oppurtnuity for 30 a case or whatnot but the initial advertised price would look alot mroe appealing instead. Possibly look for a way to take the entrance cost down as well. Im not saying if this is a relaity but i know when i see the cost of these thigns being a month's paycheck for me its hard to say i wanna spend that much, nomatter how much i wanna be pro.
New England Avalanche | Benny Carroll #2

Valken |Vanguard Demon | NXe | Stiffi Barrels | Ninja Paintball | Dye | Exalt | RAZA | Tech PB | OXCC | Sly | Boston Paintball | GXG