PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-21-2002, 05:04 PM #22
pb-afroman
Once there was The People

has been a member for 10 years
I have a CP flames drop on my gun, and although I have heard that drops aren't good, it still feels comfortable for me. I say this despite not really having experience with a drop-less gun and admitting that I haven't paid very much attention to my stance, so it may be causing me to stick out my elbow and stuff like that, and I just haven't noticed. I am going to try to pay more attention to stuff like that this weekend or the next and see if I can come to any conclusions for myself.
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2002, 05:10 PM #23
pentalecticus
Kill or be killed

why would you get hit in the hopper if your tall more than if you are short? because ussually all you see is half of your mask, and your gun, and your arm. you ussually pop out the side right? what i meant about the aim thing is that, its not harder or easier to aim with a drop or without one, and i also meant that you dont pop out a tripod and scope and wait for their mask to pop up over the bunker. and i still dotn see how a drop and hoppers have anything in common.

Team Jolly Leprechauns/Killswitch Advance

Goodbye sunshine, I've put it out again, sad

aim: FullOfSorrow921
Old 12-21-2002, 05:15 PM #24
ajdx1000
GnarKill

ajdx1000 is a Supporting Member
OK, when you have a drop, it makes the gun taller making the hopper stick out further. think about it, if your tank sits mounted directly under the grip frame, then your gun will be shorter making the hopper stick out less. The whole relationship between hoppers and drops are that hoppers are the topmost thing on your gun, meaning since the drop makes the gun taller, the hopper sticks out more.

When you get as tall as I do, the standups arnt really standups anymore, I have to play on my knees or find really tall standups. So since the bunker isnt tall enuf, my hopper sticks out the top unless i watch out for it, and playing with a drop would make it worse.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 12-21-2002, 05:17 PM #25
gunz411

gunz411 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
when in paintball do you really take the time to aim?
You obviously play in the 'back' Lol, I guess you have never been to a bunker far enough away from the flag station to actually have to hit someone with one or two balls.

Quote:
you can crawl with your gun laying flat on the ground, and pop it up with it diagonally so that your hopper stays flat with your gun, and then your drop isn't a problem
Furthermore, you obviously never played a snake. How in God's name are you going to shoot more then one ball if your hopper is tilted to the side. If you played paintball you would know that when playing a snake or a laydown you use your tank as a shoulder and come up as one. Watch Oliver play the snake, he is a god in it.

But what do I know?

T

PS, When I wrote back, I was suggesting that you sit in the back and hide behind your bunker praying to God your team doesn't get rolled.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:21 PM #26
Exilict

Exilict is a Supporting Member
Exilict is a founding member
Exilict donated to help Peyton Trent
Exilict plays in the APPA D5 division
Let me explain a few things to you guys....

#1 You should never, ever ever ever ever get hit in your hopper if you stand in your bunker right. Also the Height of your gun dosn't matter one bit if you stand in your bunker right. Because i am at home, and have no inflateable bunkers here, the wall will have to do:

Now, how tall is my hopper? It could seriously stick 4feet above my gun and you wouldnt be able to hit it. My body is turned so you cant see my chest / Sholders. The only think you would be able to shoot at is my tank / hands. That is a extreamly comfortable / easy position to mantain. I could play a 10 minute game and never move form that position....

If you are worried about the height of your gun, chances are you hold your gun like this:

You can obviously see the difference, the gun is infront of you, it is wresting on your sholder, and it is hard to manage and see. You are also a obvious target...

here is the last picture (and it isnt a good picture to show what I was talking about, but I wasnt being too serious while taking these pictuers) This is what I see MOST, and it is the WORST thing you can do... You try to keep a low profile but end up sticking your hopper WAY out there just BEGGING for it to get hit..

Now, none of this has ANYTHING to do with a drop forward, its all in how you hold your gun. You want to look like the first picture, if you need a drop forward to do this because your outside arm is too short, that is fine, put a drop forward on it.. yes it will lift your gun up a few inches but if your hopper is behind your bunker it dosnt really matter...

Hope that helps
X

Last edited by Exilict : 01-11-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:26 PM #27
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Well said Tony and Exilicit. But then againg Exilicit, your wall is like 9 feet high, and your elbow is hella out there waiting to get snagged. For someone like me, the back standup at our field requires knee work and heavy waist bendage to prevent from being shot in the head or hopper.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 12-21-2002, 05:27 PM #28
pentalecticus
Kill or be killed

\ajgx100/ but when you have a drop you dont shoulder it anymore, so that your hopper stays the same height.

and to gunz411, i play front, i am just too busy snap shooting and keeping the other teams back players down so my back players can take them out for me. when in front your object of the game is not to take out the other players but to instead keep them down and move up to take the flag, so your back players have time to shoot a bunch and wait for the other players to pop out on the wrong side.

and i do have to admit i have never played in a snake, but also, have you ever heard of an elbow, or even a vert feed, that in itself holds about 3 shots, plus the one in the breach, and a few in the neck of the hopper.

and if you have strong enuff muscles in your arms, you shouldn't have to shoulder your gun to take off some of the weight while, "coming up as one".

Old 12-21-2002, 05:30 PM #29
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Wow that last post by penta was just plain horrid. Do you have your tank floating in midair under your armpit? Does you team suck if youre the one keeping the other teams backs down so that your backs can snipe them? Is your perspective on what a front players job is wrong? All the answers to these questions are yes.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 12-21-2002, 05:30 PM #30
Exilict

I dunno where you are playing man... Im 6ft, and I never have any problems fitting behind the back bunkers... And yes, my arm is sticking out, but you have to remember that the wall is square where an airball bunker is round, that takes away over 1/2 of that sticking out...

-X
Old 12-21-2002, 05:31 PM #31
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Exilicit: it takes away half of it sure, but then you cant see anything anymore because the half that the bunker takes away obstructs your view, so you have to move out more exposing that elbow again.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 12-21-2002, 05:33 PM #32
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

All I have to say is a drop wont make your gun any more compact if your learn to play without one. However, it will make it taller and give you a less stable shooting position. Before I had my gun setup the way it is now, I had used a TKO and WGP Flame drop (so I do have reference to both sides). On top of my own setup, I've also shot many other setups with various drops and ASAs.

The comment on not aiming in speedball was pretty idiotic. Whether you play front, back, or mid, you're going to have to aim one time or another. I don't really play woods either (only the first time I ever played PB). I'm pretty much an airball fanatic.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:36 PM #33
Exilict

Also, very rarly do you shoot at something directly infront of you, it is usually off to an angle.... hence crossing up in the back field.. Eliminating even more of the profile, and not obstructing your vision.

-X
Old 12-21-2002, 05:37 PM #34
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Doh you just had to bring that crossing the field thing up didnt you , well said. Really, the only time you shoot straight is down your own tape.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 12-21-2002, 05:39 PM #35
pentalecticus
Kill or be killed

where in my post did i say my back players snipe??? i said they rain paint on the other players and wait for them to pop out into it.

and also, with a drop, my tank doesn't reach my armpit, duh.

plus, when i said i keep the backs down i meant i snap shoot, so they aren't walking around the feild.

and my backs are not the only ones shooting, my mids are staying in close and staying out for short whiles shooting at the other team

its just that, the fronts dont take out the other players, they ussually dont have that much visability down there, they can only see the backs, not the other teams fronts.

Old 12-21-2002, 05:42 PM #36
ajdx1000
GnarKill

You said your backs take out the other people, in paintball, the backs shoot as much paint as possible and let their fronts and mids get eliminations. Much like in football, the linemen block the defense so the qbs and rbs and wrs can score touchdowns.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 12-21-2002, 05:44 PM #37
Prodigy

If you like how a drop feels and you are comfortable shooting with it, then use it. If you don't, then don't. It's stupid to try and argue over crap like this because it's all personal preference.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:45 PM #38
ajdx1000
GnarKill

pbguntrader (3:36:03 PM): hey mr ___, quick question
pbguntrader (3:36:11 PM): why dont you use a drop?
__________ (3:36:24 PM): like to have gun out in front of me
pbguntrader (3:36:33 PM): any other reasons
pbguntrader (3:38:13 PM): like hieght of gun, stability of shooting, stuff like that
___________(3:42:04 PM): it looks cool
___________(3:42:18 PM): it is more comfortable
pbguntrader (3:42:41 PM): aite thanks

Straight from a pro himself, I cannot divulge any info on him because that wouldnt be cool, but its the 858 man on shock.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com

Last edited by ajdx1000 : 12-21-2002 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:47 PM #39
Exilict

The back players are the play makers... Most of the time at the end of the game a front player has position on a back player where the back player can not come out of the bunker enough to shoot all of the way down field... And who is in the back field moving up the line? the back player

But yes, the argument is pointless.. its not the size of your gun, its how you hold your gun. Hell I have an 88stubby on that adrenalin up there in thoes pictures. You know how much of a challenge it is to get your arm around that beast?... anyhow.... A drop dosn't change anything.. if that is what you need to hold the gun right, then that is what you need.... Do whatever it takes to get the best profile, then just play

Ajdx.. by the way man... 88888888 ... you gave it away...... I fixed it... you better fix yours though

-X

Last edited by Exilict : 12-21-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:58 PM #40
BL Intimidator
I'm Lob Bong.

BL Intimidator is a Supporting Member
I use a Shocktech Mini with Kapp On/Off Just becuz it it easy to hold and it lets me keep a tighter profile. I say whatever works for you... but there IS a reason Pros dont use them.
I wish my dick was smaller so I could wear shorts:D
E-Mail: IntimidatorBL@yahoo.com
AIM: ClassicTimmy
Old 12-21-2002, 06:16 PM #41
Exilict

is the reason.... Because in general the majority of pro's are the same size.... All between 5 and 6 feet.. all between 150 and 250lbs.... And in general their arms are the same length wich just happens to be the length that a drop forward isnt needed ..... oo 00 ??

=X
Old 12-21-2002, 07:28 PM #42
pretzisgay123

wow, all of you are funkin dumb

I guess all of you who are bashing penta mustve taken some serious stupid pills this morning. Who gives a damn what the pros use, whether u like a drop or not is all about preference. You can't say "drops suck and that's it". If you like drops, ok and if you dont thats fine too, why is it worth arguing over? You all are way out of line when you try to tell peole that their preference is wrong and yours is right just because a bunch of people you think are good support your preference. Pretty dumb.