Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-12-2015, 08:43 PM #1
Sparky LU-271

New to speedball opinion needed

Hello everyone! I've seen similar posts but would like some more help. I am new to the whole speedball/electronic markers side. I have however been playing woods ball for about 6 years off and on. I'm looking at starting a speedball setup, and have been looking at an ego 07 for my first gun. (I'm more than happy to accept any opinions as to why or why not this would be a good first electronic marker)? Also is there a specific hopper that works well with this marker or looks good on this marker? What should I look for when looking to purchase this marker is there anything stock on it that would need upgraded? Any other helpful tips or markers to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt~
Sparky LU-271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 PM #2
Superzeus
Living is the functionary

has been a member for 10 years
Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Any Ego 07 you find is going to have a lot of mileage on it by now. If you're looking to spend a similar amount to what you'd spend on a Ego 07 I'd go for a used Mini instead. Some other guns that imo are great values: G6R, Darted Ego 11, Etek 3-5, Axe/Mini, DM14, Clone GT or GTi, Drone 2

For hoppers Rotors are probably the most popular but some people complain about them jamming. The latest and greatest are the Virtue Spire and the HK TFX which I have yet to hear anything bad about. If you're on a budget you can find a used Prophecy Z2 for 70-80 which is a nice loader. If you're on an even tighter budget a used V35 Halo or Reloader B2 can be had cheap.

Only other things I would suggest are a barrel kit, and knee and forearm/elbow pads if you don't already have them.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Superzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:36 PM #3
Sparky LU-271

I was looking at the minis and axe but had quiet a few people tell me that unless I've held a mini to not spend the money on one as it is smaller than most markers and it can be uncomfortable to get used to. And my buget area is in the $400-$500 dollar range at the moment in another month or so could possibly have a $700 dollar range. Like I said I just like to research and get a feel for what some potential options might be thanks for your help I'll look into a few other markers you've mentioned.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:44 PM #4
theoreo

07 08 egos can be found with very little use and they are very good markers. The old shockers are also very reasonable and great markers.
theoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 PM #5
theoreo

I have a like new 08 ego for sale and a couple shockers. LMK if you have any interest. Thanks
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM #6
Sparky LU-271

So do you know what th diffrence between the 07 and 08 is I mean do they make that many changes to the marker? Also what's your guys take on poppet vs spool valve I have read a few articles here on this site. But they are more towards hard data and whether or not one shoots farther then the other, but how about from a maintnece stand point ? Is one easier or harder to take care of? Keep in mind I have never been around electronic markers there are a few guys in my area that could possibly help me out if I needed it. Also your 08 what all do you have with it or is it just the marker?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:02 PM #7
theoreo

A poppet is easier to maintain but neither is hard to maintain. The 08 verses the 07 ego is minimal. My 08 comes with a pops asa and a thumb wheel clamp the case and barrel.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:38 PM #8
Sparky LU-271

Haha my next question deals with the hpa tanks as other than size is there another reason to get a specific hpa tank? I've already decide I'm going to get a carbon fiber 4500 instead of a steely but any suggestions or tips there? And what are you looking to get for your 08?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 PM #9
theoreo

Any carbon fiber tank is fine just and yes make sure its a 4500. The size is user comfort dependent. It seems that most people use a 68/4500. I want 375.00 paypal shipped for my 08 and you can find them cheaper on here but mine is in great condition and it would be very hard to find one in the condition of mine.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 PM #10
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
If you have $500 or so I would be looking at the Drone 2 or Etek 5. For a hopper, it is hard to beat the value a gently used Rotor offers. If you can find a Spire for $140 or so, that may also be a decent value.
INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Trade/Sale Threads:
None Currently
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM #11
Socalpb87

Proto matrix or etek 3-5 are great guns to start out with if your moving into electros,i would lean more towards planet eclipse markers,have owned an etek 1,etha,currently own an etek 3 & my pride & joy 08 ego and love it,only con is the qev block and diaphragms can be a pain every now and then.

My Current markers:
Xfactor 08 Ego
Etek 3
Azodin Kp3 pump
Socalpb87 is offline   Reply With Quote