PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-03-2006, 09:07 PM #1
fugazithehaxoar

has been a member for 10 years
The "Gentleman's" paintball rules

So I always hear a lot of bickering about cheating and the varying opions of woodsballers/noobs/speedballers/kids/adults...So i decided to post my opinion of the unwritten rules of the sport of paintball. When I say that I mean tournament speedball. I am not saying woodsball/scenario is not a sport but for the sake of the arguement I would like to stick to the "what you see on ESPN" variation.

Here is my current idea of what some of the "unwritten rules" are:

1) Wiping and playing on are perfectly acceptable in tournament play but tournament play only.

2) Wiping and playing on are not acceptable in recreational games or practices. Wiping is offensive in a game against friends when nothing is at stake, and, wiping in practice causes dependancy and as a result weakens your gun skills. The field is almosy always covered in refs in the finals of any given tourney, big or small.

3) Modifyingy your marker in such a way that could injure other players, ie. velocity ramping...(very uncommon), is unacceptable in any situation.

4) Politly and rescpectfully arguing a call is perfectly acceptable in any tournament. It is also acceptable to dispute with the head/ultimate ref if you feel a bad call has been made by another ref.

5) Arguing with a ref on a walk on field is never acceptable unless a personal attack against you has been made. ie. he says something like"your out B*tch". In which case it is always better to talk with the owner/manager directly.

6) More than 3 hits (5 if the player is running at the time) is considered overshooting in a practice/walk on field.

7) More than 5 hits (7 if the player is running at the time) is considered overshooting in a tourney.

8) Don't take those numbers too seriously...accidents can happen. Those numbers are approximate.

9) It is common courtesy to try to only one-ball noobs/woodsballers trying speedball for the first or second time (I prefer not to consider them noobs even though their skills might be very low on the speedball field). Shooting them in the pack/gun/shoe or anywhere else where it looks like it might hurt is preferible.

10) If a noob or starts bragging and/or gets in your face after getting lucky and shooting you you must calmly walk away. However, it is then acceptable to overshoot/bonus ball him to a certain degree in any further games.

11) Try to help out store/field owners that are honest is almost required. It is very easy for experienced players to tell which filed owners are in it for the love and which ones are in it for the buck. It is highly encouraged to try to help out the good ones if you can.

12) It is not wrong in any way to steer other players away from dishonest establishments.

13) You are considered a paintball saint for fixing that noob's gun for him.

14) Profanity: really try not to do it aroung younger players and when moms and dads are present. I realize that when you get those three bonus balls up your back and neck it's hard to control yourself but it's always best to censor yourself on public fields. In private practices with mature teammates you can swear like sailors. If you swear at a player expect to get bonus balled. If you swear at a ref you can expect to get bad calls for the rest of an event or pulled. I'm not saying you can't do it. Just make sure it's done at appropriate times and be ready to accept the consequences.

15) You are allowed to make it all the way to your bunker if you got laned to check and make sure those wern't bouncers without getting called for playing on as long as your not shooting.

16) We are all ambassadors of our sport. Picking/accepting a fight at a paintball field is never acceptable.

17) If a newb, or anyone for that matter asks "Can I shoot your gun?" it is polite to allow them to do so. And if you are the person shooting the gun be respectful with how much you shoot, especially if its not your air/paint. If you are that noob, at least offer the guy fixing your equipment SOMETHING even though he will probably decline. Definately say thanks.

Anyway, Tell me what you guys think so that I can add or change this list. I'm sure there are things that I havn't thought of. Please refrain from posting if you havn't played speedball before. Positive comments only, please. If you disagree, that's fine, please post constructive criticizm only. No I can't spell.

Last edited by fugazithehaxoar : 07-05-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2006, 09:37 PM #2
TacoChico

what are your opinions of players yelling at an opposing player to get out once they have hit them? i let profain language slip a little too often but i like to make sure the opposing player knows that i saw myself hit them so they dont wipe.

Originally Posted By I <3 T3H BUTTSECKS
I was jerking off lastnight to videos on my computer. Then I looked up at my TV and U.S. girls gymnastics was on in HD. I just kept on going.

**** OA.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:47 PM #3
PaintballinGuy55 (Banned)

Stickey FTW.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:24 PM #4
fugazithehaxoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChico
what are your opinions of players yelling at an opposing player to get out once they have hit them? i let profain language slip a little too often but i like to make sure the opposing player knows that i saw myself hit them so they dont wipe.
Good question. i really don't have a great ansewer for that. I often yell (by yell I mean as nice as I can while still yelling, if that makes sense) at refs to check a player that I'm pretty sure I've shot. On the other hand, I used to have a kid on my team that told the refs to check the player he was shooting at every time he shot at somebody. Of course, I can see that being very frustrating for the refs because he was kinda the boy who cried wolf.

As far as yelling at the other players, even if your real nice about it I don't see it coming to much good in a tourney. It's a pet peeve of mine for players to directly accuse other players of wiping because I've found that usually the accusers are the ones that wipe the most. So basically I guess just try not to be a hypocrite is what I'm saying.

On the other hand I fell like it's perfectly normal to tell a player to check himself if you see that you've hit him in the hopper/top of mask/pack in practice because, well, sometimes you get hit there and don't notice.

Profanity: ok I edited my fist post to include what I think of that on #14. lmk what you think

Last edited by fugazithehaxoar : 07-03-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:09 PM #5
BluR930
The Dyson

I agree with most of the stuff there.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 AM #6
take the snake14

man law!

feedback
Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 AM #7
Duper
Alter Ego

To add on to #14 (and some of the other ones that this relates to):
We are all ambassadors of our sport. It only benefits us if the sport becomes more popular: more products will get developed, cheaper prices, more noobs to use as target practice etc...

So act like a human being out there. Don't pick fights or act all tough, always be a GOOD SPORT and remember, you're playing a GAME, this isn't life or death. Take the high road whenever you come across someone who's a jerk, idiot, pain in the ***, whatever...

100% Positive Feedback (180 Reviews):
30+ Perfect PBN Feedback 150+ Perfect Ebay Feedback[/center]
Old 07-04-2006, 02:29 AM #8
Ghostrunner
Angel with no Mercy

I disagree with the first rule wiping and playing on is never acceptable in tournament play if it is acceptable it wouldn't be illegal. Wiping and playing on ruin this sport because this game is based on skill and who gets shot first not who can wipe the best I mean think of it this way if your the closer and bunkering the final guy and get him out how would you feel if he played on or wiped a shot without being caught and your team is out of the tournament because the game is called a loss.
Blue 05' Speed
G7 Lazer Eyes, Evolve Newton Kit, v7.0 ramping software
Stock 05' Black/Yellow Karnivor(Coming Soon)
Boston Red Legion (Russian Legion) Fan # 243 & 1/2
Friends don't let other friends be Emo
Old 07-04-2006, 03:39 AM #9
haniousman12

wow good thread. sticky!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:58 AM #10
*Endo*21
ruoy gnikcuf diputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrunner
I disagree with the first rule wiping and playing on is never acceptable in tournament play if it is acceptable it wouldn't be illegal. Wiping and playing on ruin this sport because this game is based on skill and who gets shot first not who can wipe the best I mean think of it this way if your the closer and bunkering the final guy and get him out how would you feel if he played on or wiped a shot without being caught and your team is out of the tournament because the game is called a loss.
Ok...this arguement will be continued forever...simple fact is wiping is accepted in high levels of play...if you ever watch really good teams they know how to wipe and get away with it...everyone knows it happens, they complain about it, then get over it.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:05 AM #11
*Endo*21
ruoy gnikcuf diputs

I think one that should be added...
If a newb, or anyone for that matter asks "Can I shoot your gun?" it is polite to allow them to do so. And if you are the person shooting the gun be respectful with how much you shoot, especially if its not your air/paint.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:24 AM #12
SunTzu3873
Antwerp Assasin

SunTzu3873 plays in the PSP
SunTzu3873 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SunTzu3873 plays in the APPA D5 division
something I always do when Im preparing for the start of the game is, shake hands with the other team. Giving them a good game or good match sort of comment.

Aknowledges respect in any matter. Most sports do this.

Another thing is when hanging the flag, don't rub it in. Even in grudge matches that involve teams you have beef with. I usually make the Sssh movement wiht my finger

its still supposed to be a little fun

Proudly sponsored by: | GI Sportz | Planet Eclipse | Paintballsupplies | Rockstar Energy Drink
Old 07-04-2006, 05:00 PM #13
fugazithehaxoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper
To add on to #14 (and some of the other ones that this relates to):
We are all ambassadors of our sport. It only benefits us if the sport becomes more popular: more products will get developed, cheaper prices, more noobs to use as target practice etc...

So act like a human being out there. Don't pick fights or act all tough, always be a GOOD SPORT and remember, you're playing a GAME, this isn't life or death. Take the high road whenever you come across someone who's a jerk, idiot, pain in the ***, whatever...

Good call. I added it as #16.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:04 PM #14
fugazithehaxoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Endo*21
I think one that should be added...
If a newb, or anyone for that matter asks "Can I shoot your gun?" it is polite to allow them to do so. And if you are the person shooting the gun be respectful with how much you shoot, especially if its not your air/paint.
Nice. Added as #17.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:09 PM #15
fugazithehaxoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by haniousman12
wow good thread. sticky!!!
I don't know if that's such a good idea because this is pretty much pure opinion and by stickying it PBNation would be endorsing it.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:31 PM #16
hobo_capper
You watch it I live it

Yes, but it is still a good thread.
*EDIT*
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazithehaxoar
14) Profanity: really try not to do it aroung younger players and when moms and dads are present. I realize that when you get those three bonus balls up your back and neck it's hard to control yourself but it's always best to censor yourself on public fields. In private practices with mature teammates you can swear like sailors. If you swear at a player expect to get bonus balled. If you swear at a ref you can expect to get bad calls for the rest of an event or pulled. I'm not saying you can't do it. Just make sure it's done at appropriate times and be ready to accept the consequences.
You know, I always hear the occasional "GTFO" or "His hit on his ****ing head" when I'm on the field. I seam to hear it better when I bring my paretns to watch me play.

Last edited by hobo_capper : 07-04-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:42 PM #17
FieldCaptain

What does California mean? I hear it used by guys in tournaments.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:10 PM #18
agent005
Since 1999

agent005 is an NCPA player
agent005 plays in the APPA D4 division
I am impartial (if that is even the right word...) about #1, yes i agree its acceptable in high levels of play (d1 and up) but for youngs guns, d3, etc. i do not think it is very acceptable, usually it involves people who are new to the tournmanet scene.

and i don't know if this could be a seperate rule or not, but sandbagging is gay. do not even try to argue that.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:27 PM #19
blueice547
AZballa

Great guide!!! I try to do this one at my field, since I play nothing but speedball and look "pro" to the newer kids. I try to explain to them and help them out as much as possible if its their first time. I dont want them to get scared and never come back. So I say help out n00bs when you can instead of bashing them all the time(its okay later when its just you and your friends to make fun)

Originally posted by komodo 11: I wear my morning wood proud in my house. If it disturbes anyone, I usually just call out "Then why are you staring at my genitals?!?!?!".
Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 PM #20
fugazithehaxoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent005
and i don't know if this could be a seperate rule or not, but sandbagging is gay. do not even try to argue that.
What do the rest of you guys think, and how would I word it?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:04 PM #21
hobo_capper
You watch it I live it

Something like... sandbagging is gay...
Umm... how about "To those that sandbag (definition of sandbagging) you are just ruining this sport... etc. (yes I am that lazy)