PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-09-2002, 08:25 PM #1
bongos

has been a member for 10 years
Angry Got NAILED first time out

I haven't played paintball for 15 yrs and so for the first time in 15yrs, I went to tombstone this past Saturday. Well, they looked at my gun and said.. you go advance. I'm like OK, not more than 30 seconds into the game, I'm out. So what did I do wrong? I did the research on what to buy as far as equipment and such (Classic Timmy, Rev12, 68/3000) and because of the Equipment, I was thrown in advance. Those guys were quick! Anyways, I guess it's my fault for wanting the good stuff, I guess I just have to get better. and return fire
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 09:16 PM #2
Faktor

Word, I just received my first setup. E-99, 12v w/Xboard, 16 oz, V-force Armor(mask not armor), CP 14" one piece, and im so happy good thing i get to try it out this weekend, but its practice so its all good.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:29 AM #3
dirtylittlesmurf
Banned

just tell them it is a friends gun and say that you havewnt played in 15 years, you will get shot either way. but dont stay with the benigers too long, you will only get better if you go agenst people better than you.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:31 AM #4
Eyecare

Eyecare is a Supporting Member
You can alwaye use the rental and play with the beginers until you feel more confident. Anybody that shows up with a Timmy or other high end electro is automatically assumed to know enough about paintball to be dangerous to newbs.

Pics of my guns

Doc's SP Patent FAQ and related article
Old 12-11-2002, 12:30 PM #5
P8ntDude00

Some of my mistakes

Here's a few tips in a nutshell. Play back center until u get better. Off the break just turn around and unload as much paint as u possibly can on the other team...it'll intimidate (sp?) em. But dont get stuck in the back...cause then ur screwed if it's like 3 on 1. And never come out of the top of ur bunker. Well...those were some of my biggest problems when i first started. Hope it helps.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:43 PM #6
Element_Fire
Chillin at the 50

id rather be thrown into advance becuz of my gear than thrown into walk on/rental becuz of it
Old 01-07-2003, 10:21 PM #7
fujiwara takumi

Quote:
Originally posted by Element_Fire
id rather be thrown into advance becuz of my gear than thrown into walk on/rental becuz of it
hahaha, werd

newbies are NO fun to play with, youll end up spending a ton of money on paint for cover fire and they wont ever use it. i like a good mix, but a whole team of newbies sucks
Old 01-09-2003, 09:19 PM #8
Mrfxiitxx

bongo's
Welcome back to paintball

Here are my quick tips suggestions.

1. Remember cover is your friend use it often and use it well, dont come out of the top of bunkers and try and expose as little of your self as possible when coming out of one to shot.

2. You got good gear, always a good thing, but in a way its bad for you. Why? 1. The other team is going to be gunning for you because they figure if you have that nice of stuff you must have experince and because you can potentially put down alot more fire than 3 or 4 retals can.

3. Learn the layout of the field. If its a woods field learn to watch for backdoors such as ravines creeks etc... Its amazing sometimes how many people forget to watch really obvious places for people. If its speedball learn where your angles are.

4. Find good people and work with them. Find the experinced players on the feild and ask them what to do how to do it etc... They will know which bunkers are the best to take, what routes you have to push and defend ect.. Commuicate(if they already know where you are theres no reason to be quite and not talk with your team mates) with them durring the game and help them out. Working as a team makes a big difference since most walk on players dont do this or even realize that working as a team isnt just "you go here I'll go here, and we'll shoot everyone we see".

5. Remember that accuracy through volume isnt always your friend. Yes it helps keep people down and get some out but it also means theres less chance of you sneaking up on people or remaining undected after an elmination. If it only takes you 3 or 4 shots from a flank to take someone out your less like to be noticed than if you spray 20 rounds. This is especially true in woodsball but can be used even in speedball on occasion.

6. Move when possible, dont let yourself get stuck in one bunker for to long. This gives the other team a potential advantage especially if your out infront. THey can post up on you and it gives them time to call friends over to help. If you realize that evertime you hit their bunker with paint they stay down for 4 or 5 seconds use this. Hit their bunker with paint and move up to a better position. So many people fail to realize that paint hitting your bunker is just that hitting your bunker unless its coming around the sides or over the top it doesnt have a chance of hitting you. So dont let people keep you pinned down by painting your bunker, make sure they are not trying to walk up on you, pop out and snap shoot at them.

Ok thats enough of me rambling I hope it helps.

Mr.Fixitx
Old 01-09-2003, 10:07 PM #9
automagsrule
LOIC

don't get mad, get better. keep playing with advance till you get good. no one improves much while sticking to the walk-ons.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 01-10-2003, 07:57 PM #10
Black Ice 72
Banned

A field that diffuses players based on what GUN they have...

Oh God, how about those 12 year olds with iR3's and dragon timmies and stuff.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:23 PM #11
fujiwara takumi

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Ice 72
A field that diffuses players based on what GUN they have...

Oh God, how about those 12 year olds with iR3's and dragon timmies and stuff.
werd, and theyre smaller and faster than my creaky old bones
Old 01-10-2003, 08:27 PM #12
automagsrule
LOIC

he means the little rich kids with no skill and a nice gun. i feel sorry for them too.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 01-10-2003, 08:32 PM #13
fujiwara takumi

Quote:
Originally posted by automagsrule
he means the little rich kids with no skill and a nice gun. i feel sorry for them too.
even the skill less ones are faster than me now...im outta shape. but i definetely agree with ya'll
Old 01-11-2003, 09:32 AM #14
Black Ice 72
Banned

yeah and how about the REALLY good guys who practice with sniper IIs, phantoms, and other pumps to get their ball conserving skills down.

I know a couple guys who practice with crappy guns so they learn to not rely on the gun's ability as much. They are AMAZING. I wouldn't want to see them go in the newbie game.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:29 PM #15
automagsrule
LOIC

yeh, like i wouldn't consider myself godly or anything, but i own on newbs fairly easy. and i don't think its fair to go by gun, i mean sometimes i got out with my stock mag just so i don't fall out of use with a mechanical trigger pull, if my field put me with the newbs when i did this, it just wouldn't be fun (for me or them)

-Terry Eagleton
Old 01-14-2003, 09:35 PM #16
Cockershooter2k3
Banned

newbs can get a lil frustrating laying down cover for them to move up and next time on the break turn and run towards a back bunker find a shooting lane and shoot down it if you got it right you should be able to nail atleast one person
Old 01-15-2003, 07:51 AM #17
Paint_hore
PBN=SUA syndrome

Annual Supporting Member
It all depends on your attitude. If you are the "never say die" type then stick it out and you will get the hang of it and eventually get better.

If on the other hand you are the "play for fun" type guy then go play for fun with the beginners. Hell you may even like scenario games.

Paintball has many skill levels and gametypes. Im sure you will find something you like.

Rediscover: "its good to see you didnt take any flying metal objects to your juggular." 13pbstar13: "I dont have tits bro" (true story)
Old 01-18-2003, 07:37 PM #18
SenorFartman

Yeah it definately is boring playing against newbs. I mean we all started there at some point but it isn't fun at all unless they're all your friends.

I played with a group that had never played before. I ditched the idea of rocking the V2 and used the rental piranha. I guess it was kind of cool not getting shot the entire day and never actually losing but well yeah it's a drag.