The voices in my said told me to. 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-28-2001, 01:19 PM #1
Pointed Stick

has been a member for 10 years
RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Why did you buy a Tippmann 98?

Now that youíve had a chance to play around with it some, would you still have made the same decision? I was thinking the other day that Iíve put about $400 worth of modifications into my gun, and for that price I could have bought an Autococker. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have done things a little differently but I still would have gotten a Tippmann 98.

For those of you who have moved on to bigger and better guns, how do they stack up?

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2001, 01:20 AM #2
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
its really like comparing apples and oranges.. each gun has their good points and bad so its real hard to compare a m98 to say a nice cocker or an angel. the easiest analogy i can think of is a honda accord VS a porche. both in themselves nice cars but the honda is durable and reliable with some potential for performance but limited to its design.. the porche is designed for performance but sacrifices some of the durablity and reliablity for that peformace.

i wouldnt say i have moved on to other guns.. i still use my tipps whenever the situation suits the particular gun. gotta use the best tool for the job right

Team ESP
Old 05-01-2001, 02:06 AM #3
Pointed Stick

Absolutely, the right tool for the right job. Iím assuming you have an Angel, yes? If so, I have a question Iíve just been dieing to ask. Specifically, are they really worth the price? $1200 is an awful lot to pay for a marker and thatís not counting any of the o so spiffy toys youíd most like be compelled to buy for it. Please understand, Iím not trying to flame Angels, Iím really just curious. I think Iíve mentioned before (somewhere) that Iíve never even seen an Angel much less shot one, so Iím really in the dark here. On my end though, Iíve never had any problems with my Tippmann 98 that I didnít bring on myself (shooting Brass Eagle paint for instance). When I say I havenít had any problems I mean that my gun is accurate enough that I can target shoot with it, the rate of fire my friend gets with his reactive trigger quite honestly frightens me, and the range of a flat line barrel is more or less unsurpassed (so Iíve been told). I know you can go fully auto with an Angel, also Iím assuming that theyíre super consistent and deadly accurate, but donít you reach a point of diminishing returns? It seems to me that people are paying a miles worth of difference for a couple feet of performance.

Having said all that, Iím 98% sure Iím wrong. Iíd just like someone to tell me why.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:24 PM #4
dager
Mega Moderator

yes i do own an angel.. now i cant justify spending 1200 on one either thats why i have an older LED.. but there is a decent amount of difference in how the guns play on the field.. its really hard to describe. but just the consistancy, reliablity and general ease of use is what makes it apealing. if your going to get into some serious tournament play you need a gun that can easily play in those situations. the m98 is a great gun but due to the design its just difficult to play in a speedball situation where every inch counts when tucking into a bunker and for snap shooting. in the end it comes down to preference.. and of course those that need to have the "best" and will shell out tons of cash to have it (dont ask me why)

Team ESP
Old 05-04-2001, 12:03 AM #5
Pointed Stick

That sounds like a reasonable enough assessment. I donít play much speedball and Iíve never be in a tournament. Mostly I play outlaw ball in the middle of the lush Kansas woodlands <insert hints of mild sarcasm here>. As for why some people feel a need to shell out fat stacks of cash for the latest and greatestÖ

Personally I think it comes from an overdeveloped sense of inadequacy. Seriously. They see that ďprofessionals ď use Angels (or Autocockers or whatever) and they feel a need to associate with that crowd. They may not be any good but at least theyíll look like they are (for a little while at least). Those that really do need the high price stuff just snicker and shoot back, I guess.

Thanks for the info btw!

Cheers!
Old 05-04-2001, 12:08 AM #6
dager
Mega Moderator

no prob.. then again there are those of us who have angels but choose to let them look like crap yet have them shoot like a dream.. id rather have players know me by my knowledge and skill rather than a pretty gun.

i wish i had the money for a nice beautiful angel but id spend it on something of value like a new furnace or air conditioner for my house.

Team ESP
Old 05-06-2001, 02:44 AM #7
Pointed Stick

Moneyís a funny thing isnít it? For example: We all know an Angel costs around $1000 and lets assume that most people playing paintball make $10 an hour (forgive me for using round numbers, I donít want to fry my brain with too much math). Whipping out my trusty calculator I was able to figure out that this fictional person could either buy himself an Angel or he could spend 100 hours of his time practicing. When itís all said and done, who do you think would be the better player?

Or you could buy your self a nice credenza =)

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2001, 09:37 AM #8
nymyx
...errr...

I got mine cause I wanted to learn more about different designs of markers and how they all work. I have a Spyder that's all souped up and I thought I'd get something else. Since there's always been this big thing between Tippman and Kingman owners I decided to cross the lines and get a Custom. My brother's been using it so it's pretty much his now. I really like it though (except for the clamshell). The trigger's sweet, it's relatively accurate with a polished barrel, and I could drop it off the Sears building and still shoot it. Ok well maybe that's a little exagerated, but still, the thing can take a beating.
Old 05-12-2001, 01:31 AM #9
Ridge Boy
Gun Tech

I've used many guns, Cocker, Tribal, Bushmaster, etc. but I've always gone back to my Tippmann. To be honest, with the electronic kit from PB, my Tippmann shoots allot better than my Tribal or Bushmaster ever did. Of course the trigger has been adjusted to it's shortest setting.

Playing in tournaments, I've made allot of friends that all shoot different types of guns. They all now look at Tippmanns in a different way. I've also had some of them tell me that they wished they never spent so much money on their guns when they could have gotten an E Tippmann for less and shoot just as good.

All in all, if your comfortable with the gun you got, stick with it. Don't spend your lifes savings if you don't have to.
Making Paintball Affordable Since 1998....
www.hpsperformance.com

Proud supporter of Owensboropaintball.com and all paintball players....
Old 05-22-2001, 01:58 PM #10
gilmour135
I am MR. Freeze

Talking tippmann...the only choice

I have to say that a tippmann is my favorite gun out there for a number of reasons. First I think that the accuracy (with a armson or flatline barrel) is probably close to the best if not the best. With the flatline (which i do not use) the 98 has the best range period. And with a few mods you can make the tippmann pump out just as many balls as a angel for half the price of just the angels marker its self. I am a tourney player and a weekly recreational player and I am hooked on the 98 custom and will not change until tippmann comes out with another gun!
Bob long's, Green fade Intimidator, 32 degrees green shark drop forward, ANS generation x inline regulator, KAAP k2 dropzone on/off tank adapter. smart parts impulse: pre release se fully upgraded, imp001405,smart parts Green all american barrel, black shocktech drop forward, pure energy 3000psi 68 cu tank, smart parts vertical adapter, pmi gas thru gadget grip, green 12 v revvy, blade trigger, dye clear stickys
Old 06-15-2001, 10:32 AM #11
KNKYuserdude
I see you HEHE

I think the ablility to upgrade the 98 from semi auto to full out kick *** auto and everything in between is what make people more attracted to it... Hey plus the voices said to go with it and you never EVER disobay the voices!!!!

"You can take the player out of Beacon but you cant take Beacon out of the PLayer"

"If it is broken kick the $hit out of it till it works"
Old 06-20-2001, 03:00 PM #12
Fafafoooey
Team Thor Omega

Fafafoooey is a founding member
Fafafoooey owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fafafoooey owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Because they are awesome markers. Especially now with the Low Pressure Kit and Eletric Kit.

Sponsored by BT Paintball, J&J Performance

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
WE STAND UNITED!!!

Feedback