digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
Ahhh streaming Xvid/Divx to your 360 is nice...

Basically about a month ago I modded my XBOX with a 120gig drive so I could use it to be a media center. I put about 60gigs of movies/tv shows on it (about 1/3 of what I have) and hooked it up to my HDTV in 720p mode and have been using it to watch 16x9 HDTV rips of shows and so forth I missed (first/second seasons of Deadwood, 3rd season of Alias, a ton of movies, Scrubs, etc).

Then about 3 days ago I decided since I had worked a bunch of overtime at work to pick up a 360 premium system and wireless adapter locally (so easy to get now). Picked it up... then realized 'crap I'm out of HD ports'. Right now I have my HD-DVR going into DVI, my DVD player going to my HD1 component port, and my 360 going to my HD2 port. That leaves my SD component, and multiple Composite ports.

So I was kinda upset that I had modded my XBOX so I could save time cause I used to have to use VSO ConvertXtoDVD to convert a few shows at one time to DVD and then the rest, but the process takes about as long as the shows so I have to hop up between episodes and burn/convert/burn/convert/etc. So basically I now have a modded xbox with 120gig HDD sitting around doing nothing cause it was a pain switching 360/xbox/360/xbox depending if I wanted to watch a movie, or if I wanted to play a game/live/etc.

Then... I found it. runtime360.com. Basically if you have a 360 + media center 2005 you can run this program in the background and it fakes the 360 Media Extender into transcoding the xvid files so they can be read by your 360 on the fly w/ no modification to your XBOX 360 needed.

So basically now I can stream all those video's from my main PC into my 360 in realtime using this app and on the fly. Which is awsome cause I have a whole bunch of shows to catch up on while I'm out of work for some family stuff.

If you ahve a 360 + a media center enabled PC check them out

www.runtime360.com (the actual XVid transcoder)
www.xbox.com/pcsetup (the extender files for your PC to get it to sync w/ your xbox360)
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2006, 03:34 PM #2
ST:T Resident Canadian

Cool.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM #3
dhsdrumer
ASM All the Way!!!!

dhsdrumer is a Supporting Member
dhsdrumer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard
Basically about a month ago I modded my XBOX with a 120gig drive so I could use it to be a media center. I put about 60gigs of movies/tv shows on it (about 1/3 of what I have) and hooked it up to my HDTV in 720p mode and have been using it to watch 16x9 HDTV rips of shows and so forth I missed (first/second seasons of Deadwood, 3rd season of Alias, a ton of movies, Scrubs, etc).

Then about 3 days ago I decided since I had worked a bunch of overtime at work to pick up a 360 premium system and wireless adapter locally (so easy to get now). Picked it up... then realized 'crap I'm out of HD ports'. Right now I have my HD-DVR going into DVI, my DVD player going to my HD1 component port, and my 360 going to my HD2 port. That leaves my SD component, and multiple Composite ports.

So I was kinda upset that I had modded my XBOX so I could save time cause I used to have to use VSO ConvertXtoDVD to convert a few shows at one time to DVD and then the rest, but the process takes about as long as the shows so I have to hop up between episodes and burn/convert/burn/convert/etc. So basically I now have a modded xbox with 120gig HDD sitting around doing nothing cause it was a pain switching 360/xbox/360/xbox depending if I wanted to watch a movie, or if I wanted to play a game/live/etc.

Then... I found it. runtime360.com. Basically if you have a 360 + media center 2005 you can run this program in the background and it fakes the 360 Media Extender into transcoding the xvid files so they can be read by your 360 on the fly w/ no modification to your XBOX 360 needed.

So basically now I can stream all those video's from my main PC into my 360 in realtime using this app and on the fly. Which is awsome cause I have a whole bunch of shows to catch up on while I'm out of work for some family stuff.

If you ahve a 360 + a media center enabled PC check them out

www.runtime360.com (the actual XVid transcoder)
www.xbox.com/pcsetup (the extender files for your PC to get it to sync w/ your xbox360)
That's my problem. I can't find it anyware(to download) DOn't have any money right now. All i have is this computer with media center 2002
Old 05-25-2006, 04:09 PM #4
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard supports Empire
BT FTW. Just look for "media center' and you'll find it.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:13 PM #5
dhsdrumer
ASM All the Way!!!!

dhsdrumer is a Supporting Member
dhsdrumer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you mean torrents.
I have tried every where. Ie... Some things that come up are "windows MCE 2k5 2 cd" Get it installed, It's 2002."Windows Media Center 2005 Dvd" Install it still 2002.

If you have a good link that actually works, Please PM Me.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:38 PM #6
yellowsnowman
CCIE

yellowsnowman is a Supporting Member
You my friend have an awesome setup.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:26 PM #7
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script

envious holdout

I really want a 360. However, like you already mentioned, Xbox 1 has been able to do this for years. Add that to the fact that I won't have a high-res display in my living room for a while, and unsigned code can't be run yet on the 360. I'm far too busy to get past the title screen of half the Xbox games I've collected so I must continue my holdout..... posts like this make it all the more difficult.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM #8
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard supports Empire
hehe there is a way to allow your 360 to read burned media

Yeah my XBOX has been my media storage, since it wasn't getting much use. It was running into my HD ports for the higher quality and progressive scan (looks pretty nice even as an XVID rip).

When I found out I was short a port I was kinda upset because switching component cables (all 5 including sound) is annoying to watch a few movies, then switching back. Plus its un-necessary "tugging" on my HD ports. Then again I have so many shows/movies to catch up on in the near future I really didn't want to have to burn 2 shows/1 movie at a time.

Once I found this will allow my computer to transcode on the fly made things much easier for me. I went home at lunch to let the dog out and picked a random file from my shared XVID folder (since the 360 interfaces directly into MEDIA CENTERS interface) and hit transcode and it started streaming fluidly in about 3 seconds. Audio was perfect, quality was the same as if I was playing it from a converted DVD or my Xbox and the 30misn I let it run it didn't pause/studder once with the wireless.

horoah.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:51 PM #9
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script

You gotta love that feeling. Did you use SMB sharing with the original Xbox? With my wired network I never had problems with streaming video from either PC harddisks or DVD drives. I just read that 360 uses Remote Desktop Protocol. Do you honestly notice a difference in playback quality with the same two divx videos?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:05 PM #10
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard supports Empire
I didn't have the original XBOX networked. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't have the wireless and my PC upstairs is too far away to run a standard network cable without drilling and running it through the ceiling/wall and I was too lazy to do that.

I would just unplug my Xbox from the power/AV cable. Bring it up stairs (I had an extra set of generic cables from a friends broken one), hook it up, boot into EVOX and FTP in whatever stuff I wanted to add (last time it was season 2 of Deadwood, 3 of Alias and Boondock Saints). Then just put it back downstairs.

Once I got the 360 I decided I wanted live so I bought a 360 wireless adapter from EBGames (60 bones used cause of their used card or something). Signal is always full... but its USB so I cant toss it back on the other XBOX.

As for the video quality. The difference is negligible. I mean maybe 5% adjustment at the most. The blacks have a bit more of that "digital" look to it, but running a DVD I made using VSO ConvertXtoDVD and streaming that 30misn earlier they looked pretty identical.

I'm going to run a few different video's though to get the full jist, but it was pretty solid to me.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:29 PM #11
Gorgon_Sed
Satanist Hamster

Saying basically that much makes me want to break things. Other than that it sounds cool.