PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 AM #1
kibbles8 (Banned)

wireless

i have an ibook G4,2 dell computers with xp home and one old gateway with xp pro. im wondering what i need to make them all wireless. i no i need a router and some aadapter for the desktops but not for my mac. please tell me what exactly to get (the router and the adapters) thanks
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 AM #2
OneFourDeuce

get get a cheap wireless b linksys router, wireless b linksys pci cards for the computer, and what i would do with the mac is get a cable and just cable it up.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1754061
Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 AM #3
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

deejay88 plays in the APPA D5 division
Yeah...I like Linksys. But Netgear, and DLink are also good consumer manu's.

Wireless B (802.11b) has a max throughput of 11mbps (megabits per sec.) in theory. In practice, you may get 8.

Wireless G (802.11g) has a max throughbput of 54mbps, with a more realistic expectation of 45ish.

Obviously you're throughput is dependent on a BUNCH of variables (do you have a microwave? lol).

Anyway...my point is that G is faster, and if you have the money...go for it. But B is perfectly fine for most applications.

You could prolly get some B for pretty cheap on eBay, etc. To buy anything new...try CompUSA. They've always got real good deals on SOHO net equipment (if you don't mind waiting 6 1/2 years for rebates. <g>).

And...yeah, you need (well, technically you don't NEED...but it's the very best way to go) a wireless router. I recommend just picking a technology (B or G) and then a brand (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) and then buying all matching equip. You'll need PCI wireless NIC's for each desktop/tower, and a PCMCIA or USB wireless NIC for the laptop. USB nic's would work on the desktop/towers too.

Lastly, I strongly suggest that the stationary computers be connected with copper. It's more reliable, faster (100mbps), and...well, that covers it. Cat5 is fine, Cat5e is a tad better (and necessary if you want to take advantage of gigabit technologies).

If this is absolutely no help, I can go shopping and post some links to actual products (SKU's).

Take care.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM #4
kibbles8 (Banned)

well im getin the linkys g i think whatever they got and can u send me a link to what i need for the desktops
Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 PM #5
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Sure...but question:

Do you want the desktops to be wireless?

I don't recommend this b/cuz copper cable is much more reliable, faster.

And since desktops don't move a whole bunch (at least...not normally), wireless is kinda' unnecessary. Granted, you will have to string some cable, which can be an impossible task sometimes...in which case you should go wireless....

Anyway...what do you want for the desktops? Wirless? or wired?

Let me know.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 PM #6
kibbles8 (Banned)

its cause my mom hates haven ONE black wire coming from the ceiling behind the desk u cant even see it LOL but can u post a link please
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM #7
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...607&pfp=SEARCH

^^That's the 802.11g PCI nic. Compusa:$60

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...780&pfp=SEARCH

^^That's the 802.11g USB nic. Compusa:$53

Either one will work. The USB adapter may give a little more flexibility in that you can use it in any computer with a USB port...whilet the PCI card will only work in...mid towers with PCI slots. And USB is hotswappable (PCI, technically, is too...but it ain't recommended).

Anyway...hope this helps. Do some shopping for the best price. Either one will work.