Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 AM #22
OneFourDeuce

another one here doing IT (information Tech) almost done to get my AS in IT, then straight after that proceeding for my BS since i know how important it is these days for the job market.

when i get my BS im planning on getting my CCNA and i was planning to get microsoft certified.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1754061
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2006, 12:01 PM #23
cyberpyr8
Jedi Knight

cyberpyr8 is a Supporting Member
I was a trainer full time for 3 years and part time before that for 2 more and I have seen a lot of people come through all of those classes you listed and not know anything afterwards! You could do all of them in a year if you did it full time. Having taught adults (and young adults in some cases) I can tell you that these classes won't hurt you, but the 4 year degree is going to be better for you in the long run.

I have been in IT professionally since I was 17 back in 1987. I have a list of certs behind my name a mile long but no degree of any kind. If I had to go get another job right now I think I would have a hard time even though I have the certs and experience to back it up, just because I don't have that degree. I am enrolling in the fall to start down that road. But I wish I had done it a long time ago. A four year computer science degree will benefit you more throughout your career than all the certs combined. There are too many paper MCSE's and A+ techs out there. Don't get me wrong, certs have their place and importance too but not as much as the degree will have for you.

I would say try taking the A+ classes first and see if you like it. I had several students that realized that they really wanted to be programmers and the networking and MCSE classes weren't for them. Try and take the tests to get your A+. If you pass that and still like it then tackle one of the others (I would bypass the Net+ unless you don't know anything about networking). But keep working on the 4 year degree, if you decide later to go into management or any other areas of IT it will be good for you to have.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:02 PM #24
Raines8416
~!@#$%^&*()_+

Raines8416 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel
I really doubt you're gonna get through all of that in a year if you intend to sleep. Cisco networking is, from what I'm told, ridiculously hard. One of the guys in charge of CCNA certifications in my area had to take the exam I think 3 or 4 times before he passed it. A+, N+, and Windows are, on the other hand, stupidly easy and if you know much about computers and networking you could probably pass the A+ and N+ exams right now.

C# is a good place to start in terms of programming. If you want to make a living for yourself as a programmer you may want to look into writing Java for application servers. Also, something to get used to using now is version control such as CVS and a build system such as Ant or Maven. You probably won't need it for something like C#, but as you branch out to Java and C and the thousand other languages you might find it useful. Something you'll definintely want to look into if you're planning to make a living as a sysadmin is Perl.

Another programming paradigm you may want to start poking at is SQL. Set processing is a different way of thinking about handling data, but it's not something that a lot of people seem to be able to figure out for themselves, even if they're experienced programmers.
I took all those courses in 3 semesters. Took Cisco 1-4 in a year, and then Net+, A+, XP, and Server in one semester. So I dont think it would be too hard as long as he has enough time for them all. However, I never ended up getting CCNA certified. Not because I failed the exam, I never took them. Frankly, I didnt think it was worth it for me personally to be certified in CCNA. Its like $300-400 if I remember, and it expires every few years.

.: Hi. My name is Raines. :.

Last edited by Raines8416 : 05-24-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM #25
Catalyst Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines8416
I took all those courses in 3 semesters. Took Cisco 1-4 in a year, and then Net+, A+, XP, and Server in one semester. So I dont think it would be too hard as long as he has enough time for them all. However, I never ended up getting CCNA certified. Not because I failed the exam, I never took them. Frankly, I didnt think it was worth it for me personally to be certified in CCNA. Its like $300-400 if I remember, and it expires every few years.
My dad is a college intern/full time recruiter for Cisco (Prototype Hardware). If you are CCNA certified while looking for an paying internship or full time job at Cisco, you will have a huge leg up. After your certification expires, there really isnt a need to renew. A huge part of full time engineers in their 30's+ are not certified.

Once your "in", you can remain there for quite awhile, unless you fall below the bottom 2% of employees in your engineering group.

My advice to anyone pursuing a paying internship in college or seeing employment at Cisco is to have a CCNA certification under your belt. That $400 would be worth it to set you apart from the hundreds of others seeing the same opening.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:24 PM #26
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

deejay88 plays in the APPA D5 division
Yellow:

A friend of mine attended a Cisco Academy to study for the CCNA. With the labs and such that Cisco requires, you have to spend so many class hours before you can take the exams.

At least, that's my understanding. I've never done it...so I'm no authority. I'm just a Microsoft plebe. <g>

My hats off to the Cisco guys....

And that's the two parts I was thinking about: my friend had to take the "paper" test, and then a hands on lab with a router, sumthin' er uther.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:27 PM #27
OneFourDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay88
Yellow:

A friend of mine attended a Cisco Academy to study for the CCNA. With the labs and such that Cisco requires, you have to spend so many class hours before you can take the exams.

At least, that's my understanding. I've never done it...so I'm no authority. I'm just a Microsoft plebe. <g>

And that's the two parts I was thinking about: my friend had to take the "paper" test, and then a hands on lab with a router, sumthin' er uther.
Im also doing the Cisco Academy, i dont think they require you certain hours to take the CCNA but they do give you a discount.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1754061
Old 05-24-2006, 01:38 PM #28
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Ok....

Cool.

Shows what I know.

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM #29
Raines8416
~!@#$%^&amp;*()_+

Raines8416 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst Paintball
My dad is a college intern/full time recruiter for Cisco (Prototype Hardware). If you are CCNA certified while looking for an paying internship or full time job at Cisco, you will have a huge leg up. After your certification expires, there really isnt a need to renew. A huge part of full time engineers in their 30's+ are not certified.

Once your "in", you can remain there for quite awhile, unless you fall below the bottom 2% of employees in your engineering group.

My advice to anyone pursuing a paying internship in college or seeing employment at Cisco is to have a CCNA certification under your belt. That $400 would be worth it to set you apart from the hundreds of others seeing the same opening.

Like I said, isnt worth it to me. Im not planning on working for cisco, or even working any networking job.

.: Hi. My name is Raines. :.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 PM #30
yellowsnowman
CCIE

yellowsnowman is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Yellow:

Do remember ive had my CCNA approaching 3 years. The way i got mine was studying directly from a CISCO published CCNA book. I studied hard around 2months and worked with about 15 routers/switches at work. My boss at the time(a CCIE) bought this setup where he could always mess with it and I could also. I learned alot by having this hands on training.

After the time i thought i was ready i applied for the exam, payed $150, and took it. I failed the first time because i didnt prepare myself well enough on the multiple choice part, which was an arse kicker. The actual GUI was a breeze, since ive been tinkering around with actua equipment already. I then retook it after the 45 day limit they give you. I then passed after paying another $150.

Now things change constantly. I havent pursued any type of Cisco certification since then, and to be honest I've never really used what i got. If i program any type of switch/router here at work(very sparsely), i do it using HP Procurve equipment. We only have one Cisco 1700 series router. So as you said it may cost more now and may require a certain amount of time, but i never attended any type of academy. I was a DIYer.

EDIT: My CCNA is valid for 3 years and expires the end of this year.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:56 PM #31
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Yellow:

Are you going to renew?

You say you haven't really used it...but will you keep it under your belt in case you need it for a job l8r on? Or is it basicly worthless to you?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:01 PM #32
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Yellow:

Are you going to renew?

You say you haven't really used it...but will you keep it under your belt in case you need it for a job l8r on? Or is it basicly worthless to you?
It's basically worthless. I have thought about it, but im still undecided. I have until November to figure it out. I may renew it just to have it. I could always get a job with a contract type of company going around and setting up routers, etc.., but i just do not want to do that. I work in Montgomery, AL, which is basically one of the main communications hubs for the Air Force. Maxwell/Gunter AFB being the hub. They could care less about the CCNA. They want that degree. I most likely will pursue a job at the AFB after college.

I personally want to get my degree behind me. I have a ton of work coming up, and im fairly stable where im at. I enjoy what I do, so it's all good for now.

Last edited by yellowsnowman : 05-24-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:16 PM #33
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Cool.... Does Cisco offer a renewal exam? Like MS gives upgrade exams?

If so...I'd say go for it. No use letting that go to waste.

But...if you have to take the full exam again...tough choice.

Good luck with life, anyway.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 PM #34
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Cool.... Does Cisco offer a renewal exam? Like MS gives upgrade exams?

If so...I'd say go for it. No use letting that go to waste.

But...if you have to take the full exam again...tough choice.

Good luck with life, anyway.
I havent really looked into it, but i bet i'll have to take it over. Since Cisco revamped its CCNA program into the 2 sections, im willing to bet ill have to do that.

I may have to drink some Silver Spiced and give it a good thought.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:40 PM #35
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Something to consider...if you ever have to look for another job:

The company I work for hired a man last year b/cuz of his CCNA. There were other applicants with some MS certs, but the Cisco set this guy ahead just enuf. In fact: this guy still isn't even MCP.

But...they are asking him to continue studying and get some MS stuff done.

He won't get another raise until he's MCSA. Then another when he's MCSE.

But...the point is: that CCNA got him a job.

But...again: good luck either way.

Njoy the drinks.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM #36
aea414
I am so tired.

aea414 is a Supporting Member
Wow so is it a go for the classes? And then COmmunity College and University for CIS or Programming. MCSA in CC, and CCNA study w/ night school. Maybe

PSN-IntelligentMerc | XBL-The Collector01
Old 05-24-2006, 04:34 PM #37
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aea414
Wow so is it a go for the classes? And then COmmunity College and University for CIS or Programming. MCSA in CC, and CCNA study w/ night school. Maybe
Go get the degree, first and foremost. If you want to venture into certifications then do so, but while you are attending college. That degree will get that job without a doubt, but you may get lucky and some employer may hire you for a cert.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:40 PM #38
aea414
I am so tired.

well the certs. are gonna get ne high school credit, so i can got while going to high school. And i only need 2 credits next year.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 PM #39
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
well the certs. are gonna get ne high school credit, so i can got while going to high school. And i only need 2 credits next year.
If thats the case, then go for all you can get.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:50 PM #40
aea414
I am so tired.

yeah they free except for the uniform and lab and book fees totaling about roughly 200 bucks

Old 05-24-2006, 05:14 PM #41
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
uniform
?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:32 PM #42
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

My thinking (and what I did/am doing) is get the certs as you go....

Then finish up wut u need for a degree.

They are both important, I believe. But...I ain't got no monopoly on wisdom (in fact...the opposite could be easily argued).