Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-23-2006, 03:47 PM #1
aea414
I am so tired.

aea414 is a Supporting Member
Networking(Classes Questions)

Ok so here is a deal i am enrolling the following program and i am going to be a senior in high school next year. This is normally a 2 year class but my life blows and it wouldn't work out this year to take it.
So i have to try to talk to the teacher and see if it a 1 school year corase but that is only possible if he teaches it as it as you learn as fast as you want too.

I was wondering if you all think this is possible to cover all these subjects in 1 year A+ cert., Network+ Cert., Cisco Networking, Window XP, and Windows Server 2003.

I know this is more of personal thing "DO I" think i can do it but i want others opitions. Just so you know I had two years of an advanced Placement like program so i not your average student.

I appericate any help. I am thinking if there are any of these that i can skip as it is not nessceiray, it could save me time(someone told me Net+ and Cisco is kinda redundant)

I am going to the local Community College after high school for 2 years just so you know.(if that changse things) Then i am looking to major in Computer Information Systems and try to get a job as a Admin in that field(that is a working major thought)

What do you think i am hoping to use that course to help me better understand computers. I consider myself as having above average computer skills and i have started teaching my self C# progamming.

PLEASE I APPERICATE ANY COMMENT THAT IS POSITIVE.
Like your mommy always says if you can't say any thing nice don't say anything at all. Comments like you are retard will be reported. Comments like well you should really stop learning C# and learn Java are ok.

Again thanks for any advise i appericate it SOOOO MUCH.

PSN-IntelligentMerc | XBL-The Collector01
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2006, 04:10 PM #2
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I really doubt you're gonna get through all of that in a year if you intend to sleep. Cisco networking is, from what I'm told, ridiculously hard. One of the guys in charge of CCNA certifications in my area had to take the exam I think 3 or 4 times before he passed it. A+, N+, and Windows are, on the other hand, stupidly easy and if you know much about computers and networking you could probably pass the A+ and N+ exams right now.

C# is a good place to start in terms of programming. If you want to make a living for yourself as a programmer you may want to look into writing Java for application servers. Also, something to get used to using now is version control such as CVS and a build system such as Ant or Maven. You probably won't need it for something like C#, but as you branch out to Java and C and the thousand other languages you might find it useful. Something you'll definintely want to look into if you're planning to make a living as a sysadmin is Perl.

Another programming paradigm you may want to start poking at is SQL. Set processing is a different way of thinking about handling data, but it's not something that a lot of people seem to be able to figure out for themselves, even if they're experienced programmers.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:13 PM #3
mousek801
Blasť Polar Bear

im probally doing the same thing, cept im a bit younger and have already taken basic c++, java, and im working on a harder c++ course now
Old 05-23-2006, 04:17 PM #4
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

deejay88 plays in the APPA D5 division
Hey brother.

I'm A+ Certified and an MCP (on XP...MS exam 70-270). Fixing to take both Server exam req's and Net+ so I'll be MCSA. Ok...that's me.

I'm going to be a Sr. next year. This past year I enrolled part time (3 hours a day) in a technology center. The course offers everything you need to become MCSA plus Linux+ and a few other things (also MCDST).

I completed the following subjects in one year: 1) Computer Installation and Service, 2) Computer Operation Systems (these two prep you for the hardware and software A+ exams respectively), 3) Windows XP Professional (preps for 70-270), 4) Introduction to Network Cabling Systems (Copper Technologies), 5) Windows Server 2003 (prep for 70-290), 6) Network Administration (prep for 70-291).

Next year I'm going to take Intro to Networking (which preps for the Net+). With an A+ and Net+ together...plus the other three core exams...I'll be MCSA.

So now lets talk about your goals. Or rather...my goals for you. You said you wanted to be an admin. Here's my suggestion. At most tech centers (including mine) you enroll in one course at a time...finish the course, then take the certification exam that corresponds with that course. Here's the order I'd take them: Enroll, study, and prepare and take the A+('s). Then, take your center's XP pro, Server 03, and Infrastructure programs BACK TO BACK. After you finish the last of these three GO BACK and take each of the cert exams for them. Reason: there are things on the XP and Server Exams that you don't cover until you study infrastructure (like Group policy for exampe). After these three...take the Net+ course and cert exam and voila!! Thou art an MCSA (Net+ and A+ combine to make an acceptable elective exam).

Ok...now the timetable. Again...I was part time and finished A+, XP, Server, and Infrastructure. Could study and pass those exams this summer (and will if I find the time to study). As soon as I take the Net+ course, I'll study and take the exam. And, again, be MCSA. Point=one year to be MCSA, taking part time classes, is pushing it. No. Can't be done. Year and a half more like it. Part time. (and i work at a quick pace. sorry sounds conceited). But full time...yeah...you could be MCSA in one year. But...either way...it's not important...b/cuz you can't stop at MCSA.

After you graduate...you go to the community college and finish up your MCSA. Then...take two more exams (i think), and you'll be MCSE. That's your goal. After that...you may consider getting a CCNA (that's the bottom Cisco cert). As for Net+ and Cisco being redundant: look at it like this: Net+ is pre algebra and CCNA covers Algebra I and Algebra II. For the sake of knowledge, if you are going for the CCNA, the Net+ is a waste of time. But I recommend it b/cuz you can use it as an elective for your MCSA/MCSE.

So...does that help you? I doubt it. But...basicly: get your A+, then get MCSA, and MCSE. After that, you have to decide. CCNA is a very good one to have though.

Sorry this is kind of all...blah. But feel free to ask any more questions/pm me, etc. I'll try to make it a little clearer.

Take care.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 PM #5
yellowsnowman
CCIE

yellowsnowman is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel
Cisco networking is, from what I'm told, ridiculously hard. One of the guys in charge of CCNA certifications in my area had to take the exam I think 3 or 4 times before he passed it.
Yes it is. i actually passed the CCNA on my second try. The book i bought to help me didnt prepare me for it. Many things i had no clue what in the heck i was looking at. The next time i knew what to look for. The thing that saved me was the the part of the test when it actually gives a GUI to set up routes, loopbacks, interfaces, etc... That part i aced.

I doubt you can get all that in a year man, thats a bunch to absorb, but if your willing to put some effort in you can do it.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 PM #6
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

CCNA is broken into four parts. There are two exams (if i recall correctly). I've heard that they are very difficult.

But...don't get too giddy about the Microsoft Exams. While not as momentous as the Cisco stuff, they aren't cake. And, not to insult or be rude, you probably could not pass any of them without sitting down and studying some stuff first. Same is true with A+ and Net+.

But, you work hard, play around with your equipment (what are they called again, labs? lol)....you'll do fine.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 PM #7
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Ok...now that I've actually taken time to look at the course descrip that you supplied (i missed the link the first time)...I'd say that you could do everything but the Cisco stuff in one year easily. But the CCNA will prolly take you a year itself.

In fact (you'll need to ask yellow to know for sure) there are actually certain restrictions that Cisco puts on their academy's that don't let you get CCNA in less than a year. But...again...someone that knows a little more about that should verify or correct me as is appropriate.

Take care. I'll shut up.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:30 PM #8
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aea414
I am going to the local Community College after high school for 2 years just so you know.(if that changse things) Then i am looking to major in Computer Information Systems and try to get a job as a Admin in that field(that is a working major thought)
Im majoring in Computer Information Science(same degree as yours), and its a tough one. Many go the Business information systems route since it a ton easier. Many call themselves computer majors when they get it, which makes me want to vomit. Basically put most CIS degrees take almost 5 years to complete, even at full time level. Many people have dropped out of CIS due to its level of difficulty. I heard on CNN that a 30% drop has happened in CIS majors over the last few years. Many companies are outsourcing overseas for this shear fact.

Just stay with it man. Its hard on me, especially with an over-full time job with a wife and a 11 month old. Ive been in college over 5 years, and once i graduate, im 4 classes away from a double bachelors degree(the other being in Criminal Justice).
Old 05-23-2006, 04:38 PM #9
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay88
Ok...now that I've actually taken time to look at the course descrip that you supplied (i missed the link the first time)...I'd say that you could do everything but the Cisco stuff in one year easily. But the CCNA will prolly take you a year itself.

In fact (you'll need to ask yellow to know for sure) there are actually certain restrictions that Cisco puts on their academy's that don't let you get CCNA in less than a year. But...again...someone that knows a little more about that should verify or correct me as is appropriate.
deejay, i got my CCNA in 4 months. I actually bought a preparation book and just studied it. It included CDs, etc.... It also helped that i work with a CCIE. In my spare time i would work with routers and switches at work that we had for testing purposes.I failed the first exam, and had to wait 45 days to retake. After that 45 days i passed.

I guess you can consider my exam was in 2 parts. One was the multiple choice part(hard) and the other half was the actual programing of a Cisco router. You had to log in and set routes, interface types, ip's, routing tables, etc...

Microsoft exams used to be cake, but over the years after many complaints they have made the certifications tougher to get.

Last edited by yellowsnowman : 05-23-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:45 PM #10
levinax

levinax is a Supporting Member
levinax helped look for balloons
go to college, get a bachelor's degree. employers look at that more than any certification. trust me on this one, i have first hand experience.

and if you dont believe me, i refer you to this /. aricle:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/01/1928228

Last edited by levinax : 05-23-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:54 PM #11
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinax
go to college, get a bachelor's degree. employers look at that more than any certification. trust me on this one, i have first hand experience.

and if you dont believe me, i refer you to this /. aricle:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/01/1928228
levinax you are right in many ways. Many employers want that degree. I am way more experienced than many college grads, but they will get hired over me in a heartbeat. Thats the main reason im going to college. It's sad, i have a lot to bring to the table in many fields, but it means nothing to most employers. They could save a ton of time with me, meaning lesss training, etc.., but it doesn't work that way.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:03 PM #12
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Networking, A+, and Windows XP were easy
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM #13
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script

Levinax makes a good point. It's going to take a boatload of certifications to get an employer to overlook the fact that you only went to community college. If I were you I would just study hard in highschool and try to get into four-year program at a respected university.

Certs are somewhat a thing of the past IMO. Companies aren't taking the risks in IT like they used to. Advanced degrees and work experience are your keys to employment. I wouldn't advise wasting money on all of the basic certs you listed unless you want to end up at some helpdesk trying to troubleshoot some moron's MS Outlook.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:55 PM #14
aea414
I am so tired.

aea414 is a Supporting Member
k thanks everyone for the quick resonses.

WOW where to start. Um i haven't thought that far as a MCSA or MCSE, (my bro is talking about doing that he is in college) MY plan was more or less to really FOCUS on A+, Net+, XP, and Server. And get any assc. cert. figured that would get me on the way. CCNA is not a huge proitiy i could do a night school thing i believe.

Deejay88 all these classes are 1 course i take them all at once.

Um so the plan as of now is finish learning C# this summer, go to the class next year for A+, Net+, XP, and Server, POSSIBLY START working on the CCNA, working in class and at home(will purchase a book or yellow still got yours/is it upto date?) then Following Summer(07) is Comunity College and possibly do MCSA. That is what i got out of everything you all said

Good Plan???

Also "Yellow" my bro is going to the USF for that same thing you are and they have about the same dropout rate for CIS.

Edit- I plan on Transfering from the Community College to a normal University like USF or w/e just wanted to save my self 2 years of tutition and a room and board and all that that entails.

PSN-IntelligentMerc | XBL-The Collector01

Last edited by aea414 : 05-23-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:13 PM #15
ST:T Resident Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnowman
Just stay with it man. Its hard on me, especially with an over-full time job with a wife and a 11 month old. Ive been in college over 5 years, and once i graduate, im 4 classes away from a double bachelors degree(the other being in Criminal Justice).
Wow, I just read everything about how those courses were so hard from the majority of posters in this thread and your doing it with an 11 month child and a full-time job. My hats off to you man.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:20 PM #16
Juztyn
Conebone69

Juztyn is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnowman
Im majoring in Computer Information Science(same degree as yours), and its a tough one. Many go the Business information systems route since it a ton easier. Many call themselves computer majors when they get it, which makes me want to vomit. Basically put most CIS degrees take almost 5 years to complete, even at full time level. Many people have dropped out of CIS due to its level of difficulty. I heard on CNN that a 30% drop has happened in CIS majors over the last few years. Many companies are outsourcing overseas for this shear fact.

Yeah it IS starting to get a little more difficult. I am going to be entering my 3rd year this fall in college also going for Computer Information Systems. I had to retake 1 class, but it was mainly because I found out halfway though the semister that it wasnt going to transfer, so I gave up on the class. And it was a chemistry class anyway. I am lucky though I guess because during school I only work part time, so that allows me more time for homework.

XBL = Khorrupt
Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 PM #17
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script

Quote:
Originally Posted by aea414
Um so the plan as of now is finish learning C# this summer
I don't see how you can become anywhere near proficient in a language such as C# with just one summer. Even in a very intense summer course, the number of things you can do with a language such as C# are much less important than the fundamentals. Only with a thorough understanding of data structures, algorithms, relational databases, web applications and web services could one even hope to be hired for any job containing C# in the title.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 AM #18
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverForgetYa
I don't see how you can become anywhere near proficient in a language such as C# with just one summer. Even in a very intense summer course, the number of things you can do with a language such as C# are much less important than the fundamentals. Only with a thorough understanding of data structures, algorithms, relational databases, web applications and web services could one even hope to be hired for any job containing C# in the title.
You'd be surprised. I know plenty of people who've been hired for jobs involving languages they've never even heard of.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 AM #19
Stupid2k5ers

I didn't read the thread but...

A+ Certification is beyond easy. I probably could have passed the test with a 90%+ even without taking the class.
CCNA I had to take 2 times, and it cost almost 400 to take the test each time. The class itself is pretty easy.
AP Comp Sci was also very easy got a 4 on the A, and a 5 on the AB tests.
MOUS/anything like that - Never took the test, but the class was a joke, basically study hall with a teacher.

-Ephesians 6:11
Old 05-24-2006, 08:32 AM #20
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345421
Wow, I just read everything about how those courses were so hard from the majority of posters in this thread and your doing it with an 11 month child and a full-time job. My hats off to you man.
Thanks! There are many of us out there. While all this is going on my wife is getting her Masters. It will all be worth it in time.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:33 AM #21
yellowsnowman
CCIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid2k5ers
CCNA I had to take 2 times, and it cost almost 400 to take the test each time.
Yep cost me $150 to take it each time, totaling $300 for me.