PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:54 PM #1
WiseGuyPB

WiseGuyPB is a Supporting Member
Unhappy GRAW and my computer!?!?

Okay. The other day, I bought a new computer. Nothing too special. It was much needed compared to my old computer. So while I was at the shop, I decided to pick up GRAW(Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter). I get it all installed. Things are going great. And then it comes time to play. It's choppy as HELL! So I need you tech savvey people out there, for your advice(besides buying a new computer ).

One other thing. My friend use to "tweak" his sytem to get the most out of it. How would one go about that?

If I had to guess, it's either a memory, video card, or processor problem.

Anyways. here's the specs.

Windows XP(medi edition)
1.5GB's of memory(3200)
Nvidia GeForce 6150le (I think)
AMD Athlon 3800+ Processor

I think that's the only info you really need. So any help, I would REALLY appreciate it. Also, is "CPU Usage" memory or processor? Because when I try and play GRAW, it's almost always at %100.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM #2
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
Generally a game will always run you at 100% as it tries to push everything it can out of the processor. Thats not uncommon.

I'd say the big bottleneck is that old *** videocard. There's your crappy graphics right there.

I'm assuming you have AGP due to that card, if possible I'd put a PCI-e capable motherboard in there, so you'll probably want to get something like a 7800GT AGP or something (did they make the 7800, or was the last one the 6800?).
Old 05-23-2006, 02:04 PM #3
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

deejay88 plays in the APPA D5 division
I agree. Video card seems to be lagging a tad behind the rest of the computer.

But-in all honesty-Media Center ain't the best OS for gaming.

My recommendation (barring financial bars) would be to buy Windows XP Professional, and a decent video card. You don't need anything spectacular. And AGP is fine. You can get what you NEED for less than $150. Talk to someone around there though that knows what they're talking about. Take it to the shop and ask questions. Be careful not to get taken by a salesman though.

And...if you're tight on money: pirate XP and steal the card. jk.

And...btw: XP Media Center Edition isn't causing the problem with lag. The video card would be the priority here.

Ok...talking too much.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 PM #4
WiseGuyPB

Would the video card really cause the lag? It's the lowest of the low of the 6 series. lol. Hm. I literally JUSt got this computer yesterday. I went back today and bought another 512 of memory because I thought it could be the issue. Looks like I'll be saving up and getting a new graphics card. Something from ATI maybe?

I'd rather not go out and get a new motherboard considering this computer is only a few days old. I think I'll start witht he video card, and go from there. Btw, I was running everything on low or no, in the game. I want to play this SOB!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:15 PM #5
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard supports Empire
Dont listen about MEDIA CENTER... Media Center is fine. Its built off XP Home or Professional (Depending on your version) so its fien for gaming. Its just normal XP with media extenders added so you can work more seamless with your TV/shows/etc.) So in short... Media Center edition is fine, as its just XP w/ some tweaks. I use it on my PC (Media Center 2005 and its XP Pro based) so I can link into my DLP through my Xbox.

Yes it would cause all that lag ... its very outdated. The lowest most people will recommend for decent graphics in most newer games is a 6600GT. Anything below that and you're missing featuers, and pushing old hardware.

While I cant say 100% cause I cnat see your computer... I can tell you from what you're saying it sounds EXACTLY like the issue.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:49 PM #6
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Yeah...like digi said: Media Center isn't causing the problems. It's the video card.

The ram (as you now know I guess) is definitley not it (you said you had wut...1.5GB? yeah...that's plenty).

Mobo doesn't need replaced. While chipsets and such do have some bearing on performance...it's not that big of a deal.

Again...go talk to a tech in town and get a recommendation for a vcard. Entry level gaming is really all you need unless you have to have 60fps to be considered playable.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:51 PM #7
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.

paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard
Dont listen about MEDIA CENTER... Media Center is fine. Its built off XP Home or Professional (Depending on your version) so its fien for gaming. Its just normal XP with media extenders added so you can work more seamless with your TV/shows/etc.) So in short... Media Center edition is fine, as its just XP w/ some tweaks. I use it on my PC (Media Center 2005 and its XP Pro based) so I can link into my DLP through my Xbox.

Yes it would cause all that lag ... its very outdated. The lowest most people will recommend for decent graphics in most newer games is a 6600GT. Anything below that and you're missing featuers, and pushing old hardware.

While I cant say 100% cause I cnat see your computer... I can tell you from what you're saying it sounds EXACTLY like the issue.
Yea, I was thinking video card too, that makes 3 for video card.

Listen to Digitard. He knows what he's talking about, he's usually right about these things.

Last edited by paintballonaim : 05-23-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:55 PM #8
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard supports Empire
A friend of mine had that card in his PC renently and couldn't play anything w/ playable rates on the newer games. He could get em to run, but he said the chop was just horrible.

He was short on cash so he picked up a 6600GT agp card and while he still cant run a lot of the newer games with high graphics he can run them in the Low/Med ranges smoothly with the same 1.5gigs of memory and a slightly lower processor.

If you ahve the cash though I say get the 7800GS. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130274

Otherwise for about 100 less you can get a 6800GS and both will show HUGE increases from where you are.

You can probably get a 6600GT card too (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814130220), but the increase would be more of "smoothing out what you have now" and honestly why spend any money to just even out what you have. Save the extra 100-150 up and buy the nicer of the cards so that you can actually INCREASE what you have w/o replacing the whole core.

Last edited by digitard : 05-23-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:58 PM #9
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

props and ditto.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 PM #10
Scoty2Hottyv2
<(^^,)>

if it is a brand new computer, i doubt it has an agp slot in it. most companies have switched over to pci-e by now.

which company makes the computer, and what model is it?

RPI Paintball
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM #11
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard supports Empire
Quote:
Nvidia GeForce 6150le (I think)
Its AGP.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 PM #12
WiseGuyPB

Here's a link to the computer I bought. It uses PCI slots.

click here
Old 05-23-2006, 07:28 PM #13
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
6150 is a video chipset, yes it has a PCI-E slot and lucky for you it can take some good highend graphic processors. Because you have an nVidia chipset I usally recommend you run a nVidia card, I just like to avoid any compatability issues eventhough an ATi card (which I use) would probally work perfectally fine. If you can afford it a 7900GT will kick butt, in the budget minded sector the 7600GT will run anything out there at on medium to high detail at 1024X768 and around ~50ish FPS with AA off. The 7600GS is a dumbed down version of the 7600GT. The 7900GT will set you back about $300, the 7600GT $185 and the GS around $140. Your best bet is the 7600GT or if you can afford it the 7900GT.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 PM #14
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
Are we sure it's x16?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:14 PM #15
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel
Are we sure it's x16?

I've checked out many 6150 chipsets and it seems all have atleast one x16 slot and sometimes a x1.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 PM #16
WiseGuyPB

I'm not a computer guru. Can someone explain what that means?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 PM #17
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script

Here's my specs:

Athlon64 3000+ @ 2.3 GHZ
1GB DDR400 Dual Channel - 2-2-2
128MB 6600GT @ 553 mhz

And GRAW is not even playable on the lowest settings.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:51 AM #18
jcdenton69
poo

im almost 100% sure he has a PCI-E 16x slot. because motherboards from the socket 754 era only go up to 3700+ and he says he has a 3800+. so that leads me to believe he has a socket 939 processor and MoBo. and s939 usually comes with PCI-E 16x slots.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:06 AM #19
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuyPB
I'm not a computer guru. Can someone explain what that means?

Wiki Knows all, Serously it does... That and I'm too lazy to type. To make it short it's a faster bus that a graphics card can take advantage of.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:24 AM #20
XOne (Banned)
Un soldado de Dios

GRAW runs great on my system.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:37 AM #21
Eatem alive
motorboatin' sonofa*****!

maybe check the minimum system requirements before buying games...

Pentium IV 2Ghz
Windows XP/2000
NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ 6/7 or ATIŽ RadeonŽ 9600-9800/X
1024 MB RAM and 5 GB of hard drive space

it sucks to drop $50 on a game you cant even play. btdt.
specs are usually listed on the side of the packaging