Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-21-2006, 03:10 PM #1
automagwarrior

has been a member for 10 years
automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You make one small mistake and the whole thing goes to hell

Theres a small story behind this. Theres this retarded girl who lived on my floor at school. I dunno what she had, but she was NOT right in the head. She added herself to my buddy list one day when my door was open. So the other day I came back and looked at my away message and there was one of those virus IM's. It said something like "Look at this picture of me, im totally embarassed" So me being the prick I am, and not having my guard up against these AIM viruses like I've managed to avoid all year on a college campus, I clicked it. I figureded this girl was such a tard, I couldn't pass this up.

Turns out it was some self installing malware. My computer went from running extremely smoothly to being a ****ed up pile of **** in a matter of hours. I take all sorts of precautions (script block, ad block, ad removal, filterset g, multiple adblockers and spyware scans every day) and now its all gone to hell.

I'm getting pop ups in sets of 3. I can't get rid of a program called Surfsidekick or Network Monitor. My windows firewall is permantly disabled. When I open it the choice to have it on or off does not give me any option, its stuck on off.

This ever happen to anyone else? I've been working on fixing it for a long *** time now. I've scanned the registry, unintstalled the programs and done about 6 different AV scans but nothing is working. In my C: local disc I'm getting 6 random programs called something like defender21, defender, aim, and 3 others. Holy ****ing **** I am so angry right now. Its such a remarkable intrustion of privacy that this kind of operation is legal, yet so incredibly malicious. My computer went from working perfect to functioning somewhat on the level of microsoft ME thats infected with viruses. I can't even explain how pissed off and frustrated I am.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 PM #2
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
I would just reformat with all that.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:15 PM #3
oh snap
CONTROL-ALT-**** YOU

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-dow...cleaner4.3.htm
Know how to use these programs and you should be fine.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:18 PM #4
automagwarrior

I'm using a very good registry cleaner, as well as SBSP. Those first two links will be helpful though. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:21 PM #5
dhsdrumer
ASM All the Way!!!!

dhsdrumer is a Supporting Member
dhsdrumer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Google "AIM Fix"
Old 05-21-2006, 03:26 PM #6
mousek801
Blasť Polar Bear

reformat
Old 05-21-2006, 05:03 PM #7
joobaca

everyone has mentioned good ideas that will help you fix ur rig. now u need to go get her back. find out when shes gonna be gone, go in there delete as much **** on her pc you can, and give her the "o rly virus" (http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=37699). then if its a desktop take her monitor and run. if its a laptop put it under a chair leg and beat the living **** outa it.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:15 PM #8
ST:T Resident Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobaca
everyone has mentioned good ideas that will help you fix ur rig. now u need to go get her back. find out when shes gonna be gone, go in there delete as much **** on her pc you can, and give her the "o rly virus" (http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=37699). then if its a desktop take her monitor and run. if its a laptop put it under a chair leg and beat the living **** outa it.
Take that link down or you may get banned. Just PM him the link.

To remove the viruses do this:
1. Search your computer and manually delete as much as the virus as you can. (start with Add/Remove Programs)
2. The virus will still be on there so don't worry when it installs itself again, just make sure you have Ad-ware going.
3. Run Ad-Aware twice, back to back.
4. After Ad-Aware, run Spybot Search and Destroy twice, back to back.
5. Restart.
6. Repeat steps 3, 4, & 5.
7. Upon the second restart, boot into Safe Mode and repeat steps 3, 4, & 5.
8. Boot up normally this time, and repeat steps 3 and 4.

If the virus is still on your computer then god help you. It may seem like a lot of steps, but I had a very similar virus and that is what it took to remove it.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:40 PM #9
Randomperson
Fear of the dodgy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345421
Take that link down or you may get banned. Just PM him the link.
The link doesn't work and even when it did, it was just a news article explaining the virus.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 PM #10
ScreamTeam (Banned)

xoftspy will remove worms that those programs won't. Do not download the demo and do not download a key from limewire.....
Old 05-21-2006, 11:41 PM #11
Proto Pimp
Durka Durka

Just reformat it takes a total of what? an Hour(for me putting all my music and games back on) and then your done with it instead of looking for hours for certain files that you will never find all of.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 AM #12
notanymore
ill eat your children!

did you try system restore? that usually works for me when **** like that happens
Old 05-22-2006, 07:32 AM #13
automagwarrior

I did a system restore, the SSK.exe program is still there. I think I'm just going to burn my important stuff to CD's and reformat the ****ing machine....if I can find any of my XP cds.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 AM #14
Wendig0
^_^

yeah reformating it will make it like new again. But you will have to back up stuff then reinstall everything again

PBDirectory.net
Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 PM #15
levinax

levinax is a Supporting Member
levinax helped look for balloons
if youre not sure what exactly is running and what to get rid of, go download HijackThis (http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3...10227353.html). it will tell you all the processes running on your computer. find the bad ones, and remove them from the location that HjT says theyre at.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:25 PM #16
automagwarrior

I ran HJT and it helped me get rid of a few of the known processes. I was able to get rid of Surfsidekick, but there are still a few things I can find which are giving me tons of pop ups.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 PM #17
levinax

levinax is a Supporting Member
levinax helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior
I ran HJT and it helped me get rid of a few of the known processes. I was able to get rid of Surfsidekick, but there are still a few things I can find which are giving me tons of pop ups.
i know you said that you had run various registry scans, but have you personally looked through the registry to see what your computer is starting when it loads windows?

do this, go to Start > Run > "regedit" (not sure if you knew this or not)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

look at each program in there and google each one. depending on what google says about it, you can leave it or delete it. If you are not sure about something, post it on here and im sure there are at least a few of us that know which ones should be left and which ones should go.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM #18
Carnage_17
BAMF

this may sound stupid....but last time me friend got some hella viruses...we just unhooked his **** from the internet and then ran all of the stuff because the viruses were using the internet to just renew what was deleted

Old Feedback
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM #19
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script

I use GAIM and I have yet to get an AIM virus from anyone on my buddy list. When you do get your PC in working order, I suggest making a backup or rescue disks for such occassions.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM #20
ScreamTeam (Banned)

seriously, try xoftspy, it works perfectly
Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM #21
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.

paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
http://jayloden.com/aimfix.htm