PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:44 AM #1
AdamTheBob
Pelican State Paintball

Where in the world?

Hi guys, been a while. My dreams of opening a feild locally pretty much went down the drain due to lack of funding. Same old story, I'm sure.

But now I have started to pick plans back up. I ship to basic July 12. I will be gone 4 years, but when I get out I will have the college and training to get a 6 digit job. So, along with my saving from the military and possibly dvd sales, I wanted to start my own feild.

I was poking around in the stickies and stuff and it looks like the economy side of paintball is pretty well crapass. At least in the U.S.... So, where (overseas) is paintball a popular sport? Or is there still a chance that I may make some profit in the U.S.? Even if my feild only pulled in like 20k a year, I would be happy. Maybe less/year just because I love the sport and want to help promote it.

I am just realizing that this is why paintball isn't growing. The cost of playing is high to begin with, and then shopowners/feild operators aren't making enough profit to live on.

Anyways, do you guys have any advice?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2006, 01:59 AM #2
udflyer (Banned)
kByram

first off you gotta think, are you goin to have to be a weekend warrior once you get out of your 4 years actice and 2nd how much time will you have if you keep your other job? you have to have time to run a company
Old 05-13-2006, 02:19 AM #3
AdamTheBob
Pelican State Paintball

Well, that really doesn't pertain to my question, but let's just say that I would be able to run it full time if that is going to help you help me.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:41 AM #4
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
If you're going to do this out-of-country, take the time to look into the gun laws for the various countries, as often times those laws impact paintball equipment. It's not unusual for some countries to require that all paintball markers, even those privately owned, remain on the grounds of the facility (I believe Australia is/was one of those countries). Some countries, such as Japan, outright forbid it (stems from the WWII treaty), except on US military property. Okinawa has a field on-base.

As for the US side of paintball. We're still struggling to come out of a recession and entertainment is usually the first thing to go from a person's budget when things get tight. I suspect that once the campaign in Iraq comes to a close, and oil prices get back to more reasonable levels, paintball will rebound. The only concern I have is that paintball may have reached a saturation point and any future growth will be modest compared to our growth in the 90's.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
Old 05-14-2006, 05:04 AM #5
Swiss_Guy
ACCOSTED MEDIA

Swiss_Guy donated to help Peyton Trent
Swiss_Guy helped look for balloons
if you want to look in Europe you are going to have to look at about twice as much for the upfront cost for the field. for two resons the first is that the cost of land is very high in europe and the second is how much harder it is to get field equipment that is resonably priced. also you are going to be looking at a very different business. in europe because the prices are so much higher than in the US most players are in the 23+ range. most fields will make a big chunk of there money off of doing team building for companies. an estimated price without land would be around 15,000euros without cost for land and any licences. as for weird laws in france you have to be 18 to own markers why no one knows. in germany you have the F-Stamp law that almost no one understands. but it has to do with importing markers and that use of markers that dont have the f-stamp with is almost all companies dont have (i think it is only brass eagle that has it) check the europe fourm i think they have more infor on the f-stamp. in switzerland as far as i know not until 2008 will there be any laws concerning paintball gun but it is not a major one. all it says is that you cant sell markers or airsoft guns on line because all markers have to be registered as you would a real gun but it is still not finalized. if you are thinking of europe and want a field that will do well you will wnat to find a place that is close to public transportation and close or in a major city. this is because unless it is easy to get to and people can see it no one will know about it. outside of europe i dont really know much about but i hope this helps.

2000 Rounds @ PBCulture.tv