Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-11-2006, 02:49 PM #1
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

NECanes Coach is a Supporting Member
NECanes Coach is a Professional paintball player
So, you want to be a Pro. What are you doing about it?

In my other thread "What does it take to be a Pro...Is it in you?" I wanted to get a feel for where people wanted to go, and why. Mostly it helped me to get to know you guys a little bit.

In this thread, I want you to tell me what you are doing to get to where you want to be. I want you to think about how much you play, and on what level. The following are some points to think about more than specific questions to answer.

Remember...Tell me what you are doing right now, or have been doing to make yourself a better player. Before you answer, look at the questions below.

Don't answer them one by one, just have them in mind while you post.
Don't answer them one by one, just have them in mind while you post.

How much do you play?
How much can you afford to play?

Why do you use the gear you use?
How important is the specific gear you use to your success?

What do you look for in a team?
What kind of team do you play for?
What kind of team do you want to play for?

Do you stick with one bunch of guys and develop as a team, or do you take opportunities to play with better players are they become available?
Do you play a team game, and sacrifice some of the glory in order to win?
Do you take charge, and blow people away willing your team to victory?

What do you look to gain at practice?
What is a good practice? Drill? Games? A mix?
How important is it to win at practice?

What is cheating? What is paying the grey area?
Do you practice as hard as you play an event?

I will try to take what you say, and give you real advice. It may take me a while to get to you all, but I fully intend to.
Hurricane Facebook Fan Site

Last edited by NECanes Coach : 05-11-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 PM #2
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NTran plays in the APPA D2 division
I am answering one by one for now since it seems to be more structurally fitting and easier to understand.

How much do you play?
At least once a week. 2 times a week at least every month.
Right now, I can afford to play every weekend.

Most of the gear I have bought is because I got a discount on it or it was free.
The specific gear I have is important to my success because its the only gear I have. No backups for anythign so whatever I buy has to work.

Longevity, cohesion, organization, friendship, committed, potential to succeed should answer all 3 questions.

Do you stick with one bunch of guys and develop as a team, or do you take opportunities to play with better players are they become available?
I have stuck with the same team in the past and let the team develop.
This year, I jumped from team to team to team before the start of the season but I am done with that because it hasn't helped me any.
For those two qeustions, I'l ldo whatever it takes to succeed.

I usually try to develop a repoire with my team and motivate teammates.
I try to develop better fundamental kills in which I lack.
Good practice consists of drilling and games.
It is always important to win to me but I am not afraid of losing and it helps me get a better understanding of what I or my team did wrong.

What is cheating? What is playing the grey area?
It's all cheating but playing in the grey is just not getting caught while cheating or cheating enough so you accomplish what you want but don't get the penalties yo uare supposed to get.
For the most part I do. There are days where I am not into it. I am working on that.
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM #3
flalasoya
Orlando.

How much do you play?
about once a week
about 150 a month

empire pants, local arena jersey, flex 8 olive, 2k4 lasoya timmy really upped, halo,nxe avalanche pod pack,nike cleats
it depeneds what gear im talking about i love my gun and my mask and my cleats and my pants!!
What kind of team do you want to play for
?
i look for a team that could place in a tourny or can get better over time.my team broke up a year aago

if there are peoople that play that are good i want to play against them so i could get better
Do you play a team game, and sacrifice some of the glory in order to win?yes i would do that
Do you take charge, and blow people away willing your team to victory?if i have to im a back player!

more confidance,playing ability,being able to see lanes more,not getting hit.
What is a good practice? Drill? Games? A mix?to play 5vs 5 good players or 25vs25 whoever comes in so balls going everywhere
How important is it to win at practice?its not i just want to get better

What is cheating? What is paying the grey area? cheating= wipeing , i dont know grey area?
Do you practice as hard as you play an event?not as hard but yea i go balls out
Old 05-11-2006, 04:20 PM #4
rockmehard (Banned)

How much do you play?
1-2* A WEEK
PREETY MUCH 2*

SO I DONT HAVE TO UPGRADE.HAVE THE BEST DONT NEED UPGRADE.MORE RELIABLE
GUN IS VERY IMPORTANT.REST OF THE GEAR I DONT CARE ILL USE.I JUST WANT EVERY BALL TO SHOOT GOOD

COMMITMENT,SERIOUSNESS,WILLING TO SACRAFICE FOR PRACTICE,LOVE OF THE GAME AS MUCH AS ME,
AWSOME TEAM,GREAT PEOPLE,AL LOVE THE SPORT,GREAT OWNER
PRO TEAM.WELL RESPECTED

ONLY HAPPEND ONCE.AND NOW IM D1
WILL DO IN ORDER TO WIN
IF I HAVE TO.JUST WANT TO WIN

LEARNING.CORRECT A MISTAKE
MIX.WE DONT DO ALOT OF DRILLS.
1/2.IF YOU WIN YOU KEEP MOTIVATED.IF YOU LOOSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE SOME MOTIVATION BUT EVEN IF U LOOSE AND YOU ADMMIT WHY YOU LOST AND ARE WILLING TO CHANGE IT THE NEXT GAME THEN THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.ESPECIALLY TRYING NEW MOVES THA TYOU NEVER HAVE DONE BEFORE

CHEATING=EVERYONE BASICLY HAS WILL AND DOES IT.JUST SOME PEOPLE TAKE IT TO FAR AND GO TO MUCH.I PERSONALLY DONT CHEAT ALOT.I MIGHT LET A HIT ON MY HAND GO UNOTICED BUT IM NOT THE HOPPER HIT LETS WIPE IT CHEATER.
NEVER PLAYED D1.COMING UP IN TAMPA ILL FIND OUT.BUT I PLAY HARD ANYTIME EVEN WHEN ITS JUST FUN GAMES.I WANT TO KNOW I MADE IT COUNT

THANKS
Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 PM #5
Bugler
Work Gloves Are So AGG!

How much do you play? Every Sunday
How much can you afford to play? Depends, durring summer, up to 4 cases a week

Why do you use the gear you use? Most consistant, Works the best.
How important is the specific gear you use to your success? Important, but Skill usually outweighs Tech.

What do you look for in a team? Family. Skill. Communication
What kind of team do you play for? Novice. A team with a good bond
What kind of team do you want to play for? A team with a ton of committment, skill can come third, behind Communication

Do you stick with one bunch of guys and develop as a team, or do you take opportunities to play with better players are they become available? Depends. Raising a team is rewarding, but if you gel with a team, then it might me time to move.
Do you play a team game, and sacrifice some of the glory in order to win? You have to. Although you see many players, I.E. Oliver lang and Aaron Tholey, They have there own websites, and fanclubs. You must play a team game, but be self-promoting.
Do you take charge, and blow people away willing your team to victory? You need a leader, but know when to step back, and just play your game as a team.

What do you look to gain at practice? Speed, Intellegence, Bond.
What is a good practice? Drill? Games? A mix? Mix, but mostly drills.
How important is it to win at practice? Not very. Being poudned by great teams can teach you how to win against a winning team.

What is cheating? What is paying the grey area? Cheating is intenially wipping hits/ Playing on/ shooting illegally. Basically, trying to get an illegal edge on someone that does not have that edge. Chewating is a part of the sport, gutta deal wit hit.
Do you practice as hard as you play an event? I don't think many people do. I wish i could say that i do, but nothing is riding on practice.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 PM #6
ctpaintballa42

How much do you play?
Once to twice a week, depending on sports and school

Right now, I can afford to play every weekend.

I have the best experience with it and its not too expensive.

I dont need a great gun, give me a mask and Ill be ok. Skills outweight whatever gun you have.

Team players, athletes, love of the game, skill, potential, can practice alot.

Fun team, manages stuff efieciently but we need money help

One that is fun but has a serious side and is able to play better than everyone else!

Ive stuck with the same bunch of guys for about a year, theyve helped me so much and they have become some of my best friends. I cant wait until we suceed and have fun going to events this year

Skills, teamwork, new ways of playing a field, find moves to do or not to do.

Mix of drills and games, playing better teams.f

Its always good to win but you learn alot more when you lose, so its not too important to me.

What is cheating? What is playing the grey area?
Cheating is wiping, playing on, extra pads/jerseys, hot gun or shooting too fast, any edge. Now cheating in practice is probably the worst thing. Whats the point, you dont have 50,000 dollars on the line, get off the field and just turn it around.

Yes and no, I play my hardest most of the time but sometimes when Im having a rough day or Im not there, its just not going to happen. Im working on being alot more consistent on the field though.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:37 PM #7
snoop13

snoop13 is a Supporting Member
right now i play once a week because thats about how much i can afford. not being able to drive hinders me being able to practice. this summer i plan to play at least twice a week because i will be able to drive and will have a job. i shoot an ego with a halo, ultralight, and 68.4500 tank plus a few other little ups. the gear i use is alright but i got most of it for pretty cheap or i have acquired over the years so i like it. my gun is probably the most important thing because it always works, which never stops me from practicing unlike a lot of people i know. i love my ego and probably wont let go of it until i have to. in a team i look for who they practice against, and some sort of sponsorship, because i am not made of money. i play 5-man which i dislike but that will most likely change soon because i would like to play 7 man. if a chance to play with a better team came along i would probably take it. im not going anywhere with the team i am with now because in all reality it seems like the only formats that matter are 7 and x ball. getting on a 7 man or x ball team seems like a step in the right direction. at a team practice usually i like to play games, but only if its against someone better than us. drilling at practice is alright but usually i onlydo that if i have paint left over or on a saturday or something. winning at practice is the opposite of important. usually you only gain by losing and playing against better teams. cheating is anything you do to get an advantage. cheating in practice is pretty pointless and you're only making yourself worse by doing it. in a tournament i want to win at all costs and if i get caught cheating then i pay the price. i honestly am not as intense at practice as i am at a tournament. i cant seem to get excited for practice lately because they havent been worth my money. practicing hard has always been something i have had trouble with.

EDIT: mostly i am trying to condition myself. once i heard rocky knnuth say we can make you a paintball player but we cant make you an athlete i figured i should start working a lot harder towards becoming an athlete. i have been dieting better plus running and a little bit of upper body work out.
DC NASTY
Pants Sale
Jersey Sale

Last edited by snoop13 : 05-11-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:10 PM #8
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

STOP...STOP...STOP...

If you can't follow simple instructions, like don't answer these questions 1 at a time........I don't know what else to tell you.

They are just food for thought.

The only question I want you to answer for me...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO REACH YOUR GOAL OF PLAYING PRO?

(To the guys who posted, don't repost, I will answer you based on what you already poasted...)
Old 05-11-2006, 08:40 PM #9
masspb

you know just try to get out there play as much as possible, condition my body, learn the fundamentals, refine my techniques, build up my speed, learn from others, etc... im sure there are much more things i do but this is what i can think of right now.

Last edited by masspb : 05-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:10 PM #10
Xaerak
Just Live

Xaerak is a Supporting Member
Xaerak supports Bob Gurnsey
DA, Our team plays whenever we can. It may not be once a week, more like once or twice a month but we make the best of the situation. Every time we play we practice and make it worth while. We're always thinking about the game, some of us work out. We come from Northern Maine, there isn't much oppurtunity up here, but I've got dreams man, I've got dreams.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 PM #11
Planet Eclipse Kidz
Wi Golf(PRO)

Yao, I play once-Twice a week. I play at Pba in oldbridge, Mod plays there, wich is there home field. I can afford to play Once a week but ocasionaly 2 times a week. I am playing as much as I can to become apro. I use My Ego/ Eclipse pants and jersey b.c I liek the jersey bc of it helps from me not scratching my arm all up wen diving, And the pants b.c I get ALOT of bounce 3/10 shots break on my pants. My Ego I like b.c it shoots straight and is reliable and I havent had any major problems with it. When I look at teams I look for Dedication, Freindly, Skill, ORGANIZED Team work Thats what I look for in a team! I did play for
"Planet Eclispe Kidz" D3 Nppl. But they fell apart. A team I would like to play for would be a D2 or D3 Nppl team But Dedicated, Organized Skill, Good humor. Acheiving coarse goals. I Play AT Pba mostly (liek I mentioed)And when I Gain/Learn a lil every time I play* Depending on who I am playing with* (Like most players)What I can do also to become a pro is Drill Alot A good drill would be snap shooting, 2 on 1,3 on 1,laning, off break try to get past the lane opposing player is shooting. I am also looking to get on MOD D2 but I have to wait til after Tampa to get a tryout. If I make Mod D2 then that would also be a good direction to go, to becoming a Pro! Im trying to get right in the game im going in the right direction now. I do as much as I need to, to get sattisfaction on my way to becoming a pro. I also am dediacted wise liek I can buy plane tickets to go to events etc . Hope fuly SOONil become a pro bc I KNOW I WILL but just dont know when! I know I will soon , sooner then i think.....

-Jmac-
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM #12
Eels23
The Hoss

Eels23 plays in the PSP
Eels23 plays in the APPA D4 division
Eels23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Eels23 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
How much do you play?
2-3 times a week
2-3 times a week

Becuase it is what feels comfortable to me and with it I know I will feel better in game becuase I can depend on my equipment.

Important to me becuase I train with one gun (Ego which I have had for a year and a half) and stick with that gun. So its important to me becuase I know the feel of the gun and know how it works.

Love of the game, Competitveness, skill, great people, commitment.

Becuase of boarding school no team when I get into college I can commit to one. I am D3 ranked.

One that I know is serious about playing yet is full of fun people. Also a team that I can learn from and form a bond with.

If the team is going somewhere then I definetly stick with them. If the team starts going downhill I would see if there is anyway of getting things going again, if not I would consider the other team but under extreme circumstances.

To win is a team effort. So if one man can sacrifice himself to make the game winning move then it is alright.

Yes and No. I yell so they remember thier mistakes from before but I have good intentions.

Learning from mistakes, developing skill, learning to work as a team more.

A mix. While it is important to do drills and practice individual skills you need games to put these skills to work.

It is not important to win at practice but it is always nice. You learn from your mistakes if you lose which is the best thing you can do.

Cheating is wrong. While many get away with it and its apart of the game people should be fair with it. I can not say much becuase I have done it before just like any other tournament paintball player before.

Yes and no. I practice to my highest abilities but I do not want to hurt myself so I go 95 percent because I do not want to get hurt and possibly end my paintball carrer.

Andy
Myspace
Luxe F/S NEED MONEY
QUITTING SALE! CHEAP
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 PM #13
Paint-it-up
Love♠Hate™

Paint-it-up owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paint-it-up supports Team VICIOUS
Paint-it-up plays in the APPA beginner division
Paint-it-up has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
We just combined two of the better teams in the area, and are now playing xball in a statewide tournament series. I've noticed in practice and after the first event that we need alot of work on communication, but I'm having a hard time trying to find a way to fix that.
They say that having the best gear on the market doesnt make the player, but it would deffinately help at a higher competitive level. Most of our team shoots shockers or DM's of sorts.
A large portion of our team (including myself) are younger, and some either dont want success as much as other or they dont work as hard.
Basically what I'm asking is, what do you think we should do to get better as a team?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 PM #14
dugget

Comit yourself compleatly to the sport. live the sport of paintball. Play as much as you possibly can afford and if you run out of cash then do anything you can to get better untill you have the money to play. Think constantly about the sport. Live it.
Infamous fan #930
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 PM #15
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

I just read through the posts, and some of them jumped out at me. If I don't type anything to you now, it doesn't mean I didn't read it, just that I couldn't think of anything to say...lol

NTran - Noel, I am glad you realize that jumping teams is not the way. You need great individual skils, but you also need to be able to work as a unit. You learn that by being on a solid team.

FlaLasoya
- Not everyone is cut out to be a pro. Playing once a week is not going to cut it. If you really want it, you need to get out there more. I will address the comment about practice at the bottom.

Rock Me Harder - You don't have to be a Pro player to be respected. You said something that made me respect you right off, though. I like that you think you should always play hard no matter what. "Make it count" I love that.

Bugler - You play every Sunday. Cool. Try adding Saturdays too. Unless you have more important things to do.
Self-promotion is huge. I don't think you should make a website, or have tee shirts made, but you do want to make sure people know who you are. That means coming up at an event and saying hello, or here online (Myspace, for example). Don't be pushy, or a pest, but introduce yourself, and say hello. You may get nothing from it, but you won't lose anything either.
You said something about Drills, and Practice...I will address that below.

Snoop13 - If you are going to listen to anyone, you picked a good person in Rocky. (It is funny you picked him to quote, because I just spoke to him a little while ago.) Physical Fitness is a very overlooked area. It is not just about being strong, or fast. It is about being in good general shape, which can help in avoiding injury.

Masspb - Thanks for following directions, but you didn't really give me anything. It is too general. Tell me what you actually do. Do you drill alone? Do you go to the gym? Do you watch video, and copy the pros? Do you play GHTP??? What?

JMAC - There you go. My man has a plan. I like it. I also like the place you picked to play. PBA rocks, and Ron Butler is a class act. If you get no more out of playing there than have some of Ron way's rub off on you, you will be better for it.

Eel23 - Look below at practice.

Paint it up - I have talked about things a team can do in my "coaches corners". Check those out. Here I am talking more to individuals.

Dugget - I like your post. You have the right idea.

Like Dugget said, this takes 100% commitment. Generally speaking, you will not make it to the Pro level as a casual player. You have to eat, sleep, breathe, and live Paintball.

Practice: Since I disagree with what most of you about practice, I will address it once.

If you have ever played any sport, you have heard this before.

"How you practice is how you play."

It is a simple fact of sport. Being the best means teaching your body to react, and do things without thought. If you think about a move, or a shot, you will miss the opportunity. The way you to this, is by playing the exact same way every time. If you feel like you can't get up for practice, then maybe you need to realize that you don't want it enough to take your game to the highest level.

That is ok!

You don't have to be a Pro. There is nothing wrong with playing D1-D3, Amateur, Intermediate, Novice, or Rookie.

Enough for now...more later.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 AM #16
pnk4jss

I play every Sunday with my team and we help ref at our field on Saturday's so usually we jump in during the day and play a few games against each other and whoever's out there. I work 15 hours a week and go to school. Pretty much all of that goes to gas (driving to practice) and buying paint. Every once in a while I can buy some new gear but I like to make it last if at all possible. I used a Dark Angel LCD for 5 years and I was never once denied a team I tried out for. And they aren't crappy teams. My current team got 4th at World Cup two years ago. The team I played on last summer is eight in D2 X-ball.

Now, I use a DM4 because it always works. I think I've broken maybe 4-5 balls in games so I say why change it if what you have works. I think anything you're comfortable with will help your playing. I'm a small guy and played with other people's guns that had their tanks set way too far back for me but you make due with what you've got. I've never blamed my gear for losing a game. Know your gear and know how to fix it if it goes down. The only other gear I love right now is the arm pads I'm borrowing from a teammate I slide a lot up front and used to just play through the blood and whatnot but arm pads rock! Haha.

The first thing I look for in a team is their reputation. Are they a fair team, do other teams respect them, are they good. My current team is all of these and they happen to be the best team I've played with at this point. This is my 6 or 7th team over the last 7 years because I've been moving around for school. I prefer to stick with a team and develop with everyone but at the same time you have to know when to leave. I played for one team that didn't have dedicated players and we weren't going anywhere. So, when the opportunity arose a few of us left and joined another team. It was on that team that I got introduced to my first pro player. The thing I like most about my current team is that after practice we can still hang out and watch paintball vids or play Greg Hastings. And Junior's mom cooks great food, too.

In regards to playing a team game or taking charge...I don't think there's a difference if you're a smart player. Run-throughs should be done for the good of the team. If the only time you go crazy and run up the field is when the camera is on you then you're not helping your team at all and I hope you get mowed down. One reason us front guys can go do those moves is because our back players are keeping the other team in or taking attention off them. And you have to know what your other team members are doing. If I see my other front player take off then I'm going down the other tape and shooting everyone in the back that's shooting at my other player. It should always be about teamwork.

Practices should be about learning and improving. I read a lot about weight training and one thing I read was that if you don't put all your effort into your training then you are hurting yourself more than if you didn't go. While that might not quite seem logical I think it's true to some extent. Basically, you're body learns what you teach it and if you aren't training your muscles to their fullest extent they will think that's as much as they can do. Play hard every practice, both with your body and your mind. Think about a drill when you're doing it. I went to a Russian Legion clinic and they stressed muscle memory. Doing an exercise over and over again until you can do it without thinking. Also, winning at practice is good but it shouldn't be your primary goal. Getting better should be. And guess what, if you only play noobs you'll never get better. If I could play pro one of the best things would be to get schooled all the time by other pros. That's the only way you get better. A pro football team would never play a high school team because it would be a waste of time. Albeit fun to watch perhaps.

Cheating...flagrantly breaking the rules. One problem with paintball is we call every infraction cheating when other sports call it a penalty. In soccer if you trip someone you get a penalty. You aren't called a cheater. But regardless, every team has cheaters and it's now part of the game. I don't like to get cheated against so I try not to do it against others.

I always try to make practice like an event. Actually, we train harder because at an event you get a lot of time between games. We just play and play and play until we're out of paint.

Good luck to everyone who's has the same dream as me...

John
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM #17
Jettyboy
Life

Annual Supporting Member
Jettyboy is a Supporting Member
Jettyboy supports Cereal Killerz 2
Jettyboy is Boss
I play Saturday and Sunday almost every week of the month. The only thing stopping me from playing more is the time the fields open. During the week I usually do reball prac.s at my house sometimes with teammates but usually alone. The days I don't play are spent either studying for school or working. All the cash, as of now, goes towards paintball. Anything left over goes towards buying myself a car. I truly respect and value the support my parents give me in driving me to the field when I can't get a ride and sometimes putting off even work to come see me play in tournaments. Because I work most of the week I can afford to play all weekend, usually shooting a case a day. I use the gear that’s best suited to me. I shoot an 06' Ego mostly because to me it’s the absolute best gun out there with the accuracy, lightness, and speed that I feel I need to play at my highest level. The other things I value highly are my gogs. I use profilers as of now due to the fact that they allow me to wear my glasses comfortably and offer a very wide range of vision. What I look for in a team is mainly drive and commitment. I want my team practicing every weekend and indivgual (sp) players practicing skills during the week on their own. My team has this and it shows with the level of play we bring to the field. The one thing my team is lacking in though is emotion. When I’m fired up and know exactly what I want to do on the field and feel as though nothing can stop me from doing that is when I play at my absolute best. On my team though I just don't feel that as much as I would like to. The team I’m on now is a few guys that I’ve personally developed with. They've been playing with me at the field since the day I started. It is only recently that we've all been united to form the team we are now. I feel that these guys are my brothers and that they, along with me, will continually strive to do the absolute best of their abilities. On the field we function as a whole. We don't consider anyone one on the team as being better or worse, they're just a part of the team. Although I’m not the actual "captain" of the team I feel just as involved with the team as a captain should. There maybe a day when some of us move on to greener pastures but until that day I will work my hardest to make sure our team is always making the finals. In my own training I tend to work on personal skills such as snap shooting and running and gunning. At team practices on weekends we tend to work more on communication and coordinated moves as well as situational drills. We also try to instill a tournament atmosphere and a no BS mentality. Winning at practices and scrims is good but not always what we’re looking to do. We want to learn as much as possible and play teams that are much better than ourselves. We always take our practices as seriously as we do our tournaments. To me cheating is something I personally try to stray away from. I know otb I may slide hits off but blatantly wiping to me just shows that the player is just cheating himself as well as his team, because eventually he’s gonna get caught and when that happens he only has himself to blame. I truly hope to one day become a pro, seeing as how right now I’m only 16 I think I’m well on my way to one day accomplishing it.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM #18
Coheed
Monstar

How much do you play?
1-2 times per week.

Twice or three times a week at most.

I use my gun because I'm comfortable with it; after having almost every gun under the sun, I know what I like and I'm trying to stick with it. My apparel is pretty much just stuff I've picked up along the way.
Not all that important IMO; give me time to get used to a gun/apparel/whatever and I'll be fine with it.
Strong support from the owners and a good environment for learning. Maybe not necessarily the best team, but one that provides me with the opportunity to become a better player.
XBall team; the players take the game very seriously, unfortunately the owners don't have a whole lot of knowledge and don't really go out of their way to help us. We still pay a lot for paint and are constantly told what not to do, with little support from them.
An XBall team like some of the others in our league: captained and/or owned by experienced players who will help us become better players and know how to teach us.
I have been playing with the same 6 or 7 guys for 2 years now. Somehow, we've managed to stick together, regardless of what team we're on.
I try to do what is best for the team, not necessarily what is best for me.
Honestly, no. I take charge at practices and tell the team what drills to run and whatnot, and I also help out when we need to rework plays and stuff during matches, but I am not much of an emotional leader.
I just want to do drills and improve on my basic skills. Unfortunately, everyone on the team always wants to scrimmage.
If it is a closed practice, I think we should only be doing drills. If we are playing with another team, I hope to get a mix of drills and games in.
I hate losing at practice, but I do think it is more important to figure out what we are doing wrong and change it.
Cheating is blatant: wiping, playing on with an obvious hit. Playing the grey area is playing the refs.
I'd like to think so, but I know I don't.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I skipped over the part about not answering each question one at a time. Sorry.

Last edited by Coheed : 05-12-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM #19
Shockercory04

Well i bascially try to play as much as possible, i try to play once a week if i can play twice a week i will if i can play more then that i will, bascially only thing holding me back from playing every day is money. But to answer my money probelms i have to say that im amazing on figuring out how to play. I do work at a paintball pro shop, so i have a job im not living off my parents to play paintball. Im 16 i have a permit when i get my license i get out of this god forsaken ****hole in NY and play with some real ballers in surrounding states. This area noone is as deticated as i am i give up everything to play whether thats a good or bad thing i do it. I use i mix of gear, mostly dye i have more faith in there gear over other companys. In a team, I want a family, looking at tops teams and considering themselfs familys. I dont have a big family and family is important but its right at my level with paintball and again bad or good i excepted it. I dont play alot nationaly( i have played a few)(PSP that is) as my team isnot yet a family very few play because they love the sport and want it to be as big as some of those hyped up sports(baseball, football, basketball,etc). I belive if more teams acted like familys paintball would be as hyped up as those sports. Like i said i play on a team that has played together for a long time, weve lost players to other sports, players without money, players who were good but just play to becuase they have nothing else to do.
Again i want a family. Also as much as our team has problems we have stuck it threw i didnt take any oppurtunities when i saw them and i do want my team to climb ranks but there isnt alot of players in this area of ny that are willing to give up that much to do so. I do sacrifice glory, yea but again i like to glimer, players on my team yea they do so i can say we have grown as a family but not a strong well knit together family.
We try to set days to practice and do drills but field isnt for just us so its not to easy to run drills. Winning at practice, i could care less you learn from mistakes and if im playing my own team and they beat me good for them it just makes me happier having them with me. We have so must druama threwout or events playing national, paying for everything out of our pockets is hard enough when you have kids *****ing and starting fights with eachother then you ask yourself where did this family go. I do say we have a storng team at practice we hardly ***** hardly fight, but events we fall apart(if you have any tips on to help this stop let me know please) At practice win or loose i do play as hard as an event it just doesnt have as much meaning to me as in i dont argue calls and when you dont have as much on the line it just doesnt seem as important. Cheating hey alot of people do it, i can honestly say i have never had the chance to do it in a tourny and i dont think i would give the chance of blowing a tourny becuase of a stupid wipe, but then again i belive everyone cheats in all sports and a simple slide to erase a hit or something of that nature can be excepted, i want to stay in the game as much as the next guy.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 PM #20
matty84

matty84 is a Supporting Member
First, I do not know if I want it enough to play pro. Higher Divisions definitely though. I think it's something that is tough to say now, because the commitments just get more and more as you move up, therefore it is tough to say whether I think it is worth it in the future. I do know that I love the game.

Well, I think playing as much as you can and at the places with the best competition is a big part of getting better. Right now my team needs to start playing the top teams in our division more. We have proven that we can beat them, but we are not consistent. So we need to start traveling to some other fields.

As far as team practices, it is a combination of drilling and scrimages, but I do not think the energy level is the same as it would be if we were playing a tourney. Instead of people clawing to get into their bunkers it's kind of half ***'d. I think people need to understand that if you get into the habit of doing 90% in practice, you will go 90% in a tourney. The team really does have a lot of potential, but potential doesn't mean anything when you lose first game of semi's.

Individually, I think I want to win alot more than most. I know what I need to work on, but it's been tough with finishing up school. Ideally, I need to be playing 2-3 times a week, along with getting in better shape. I also am not nearly playing what I am capable of... it's a mental thing. I won't do stupid stuff in tournaments, but won't do everything that I can.

Finally, I think noel was def. right. Jumping teams sucks. Alot. You could have all the individual skill in the world, but it is not going to help if you cannot work well in a team. I think that is especially the case at higher levels of play, because everything happens so damn quick.

Eh, that's all I got.

-Matt

Last edited by matty84 : 05-31-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM #21
ThkOwnsMadFools

How much do you play?
- I will play whenever I have to practice, as much as I can. But that is half the reason I was forced to quit being that it wasn't cheap for a 15yr old kid to support himself through out his paintball career.

I use the gear I use because it was what a sponsor gave to me, and I kno that their product wont fail me.
The gun is all that really matters to me, I usually have gun problems (if you kno who I am like Dave Adams does then you will understand.) If the gear is working to me it doesnt matter who made it or anything.

Willingness, ability to learn from mistakes, good listeners, solid team, and basically another family kids I can depend on.

- I like to play for aggressive young fast pace teams. I like to play with these teams only when they are managed by sum1 so I kno everyone will be doin thier best.

Do you stick with one bunch of guys and develop as a team, or do you take
opportunities to play with better players are they become available?
- This depends, I stayed with a group of friends that I started out playing with and we ended up dominating but when the money issues got up we all went out seperate ways to bigger and better teams.
- I will do whatever it takes for my team to take the victory. whether that be play in the grey area to a point where its necessary or to even use myself as a distraction. I will sacrifice anything for my team to win.

- As much experience as I can take in during 1 practice. Snake drills, and running and gunning skills. 3v1's 2v1s 1v1s anything. 7v7s.

- There is no such thing as cheating unless you get caught. You play the grey area and try to use every single bit of disorder on the field in your advantage. If your wiping you make sure you gettin away with it. Everyone cheats thats why theres no such thing as cheating. It is all in the game and thats why you just play the game and do that as if it was part of the game. If you think you get hit you call paintcheck and let the refs figure out what the real deal is.

Absolutely, no point in practicing at 90% because only 100% is going to make you become 110%. You practice as hard as you can otherwise you are just playing half assed

Official Trauma Fan Club Member #00

Last edited by ThkOwnsMadFools : 05-12-2006 at 03:52 PM.