Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 AM #1
Negative 13
Thanks!

Negative 13 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Negative 13 donated to help Peyton Trent
Official: Weight Training/Excercise/Diet/Supplement/Etc. Thread

To help control the number of these threads that flood small talk and OSST, this thread has been created. Keep in mind that weight lifting and nutrition will vary from individual to individual, so if you have specific questions concerning your regimen then post in here. Posting weightlifting threads outside of this sticky will be redirected here.

Posting
When you ask a question, the people who are going to answer need a lot of information if you want helpful, complete answers.

Information such as height, body weight, supplements you are taking (if any), diet, equipment used, your goal(s), and your current workout schedule. Saying: "I need to lose weight by June 13th" isn't going to get you much help. In turn, this will result in people asking you the above questions, cluttering the thread. Help us help you.

General Information
The Warm Up
So, you've made it to the gym in one piece and are walking through the doors. You immediately notice the girl wearing skin tight lycra pants doing squats. But now what? You warmup, stupid! Before you start your workout, get on a piece of cardio equipment (stationary excercise bike, eliptical treadmill, stairclimber, stairmaster, treadmill, etc.) for ten - fifteen minutes. Go at a very light pace. The point of "warming up" is exactly that, to warm up your internal temperature to prepare your body (and mind) for the workout ahead. I say mind because this is also a good time to get focused on the task ahead and to forget about the sexy woman in the lyrcra.

After you have spent your time warming up on the cardio equipment then it's time to stretch the muscles and joints that you are going to excercise that day. However, you don't want to "over stretch" which will result in fatigued muscles. Easy does it, amigo.

Breathe, damn you, breathe!
Breathing is absolutely essential to getting the most out of your workout. It sounds very stupid but it is often one of the most overlooked aspects of weight training. You want to inhale during the negative part of each rep. Then hold your breath momentarily during the positive part of the rep and then exhaling at the peak of positive movement.

Use the FORM, Luke!
Every excercise has it's own specific form. However, there is a general rule of thumb, whether you are standing, lying down, or sitting up: Keep your back stable - shoulders pulled down and back, chest out, abs flexed, while maintaining the natural curve of your lower back. This will help you avoid the nuances of injury when you are working out. For specific excercises, ask someone at the gym. It is easy to tell somewhat what to do over the internet, but a lot of this is lost in translation and is best demonstrated in a face to face environment.

Compound First, Simple Second
Do the compound excercises first. These would be: Squat, Bench Press, Bent-Over Rows, and Deadlifts. These excercises use a large amount of muscle mass and requires a large amount of focus. You are going to be more focused at the beginning of a workout as opposed to the end because you won't be fatigued. Which brings up the next point: You won't be able to lift as much weight with as much intensity at the end of your workout. Therefore, you do the lighter, simpler excercises (leg extension, seated row, etc) after the compound excercises.

Consistency, Rest and Diet
After your workout, eat. It is best if you take a protein shake immediately after your last rep, but that isn't feasible for everyone. At the very least, get some protein, sugars, and carbohydrates into the system after your workout to replenish your fatigued muscles. Also, weight lifting requires a lot of dedication. Don't be prepared to see the results you want in less than six months. The longer you workout and maintain a healthy diet, the better results you will see. If you workout properly, you will never be satisfied with your results and will turn into a gym rat until you run out of money. Just stick with it for as long as possible. You'll be glad you did.

Please keep in mind that these aforementioned "subjects" aren't even SKIMMING the complexity of working out properly, but it will get you pointed in the right direction.

Resources
http://www.davedraper.com
http://www.bodybuilding.com
http://www.muscleandfitness.com
http://www.menshealth.com
http://www.exrx.net/

Questions???

Post them up! Someone will be here to answer them, but please, as I previously mentioned - offer as much information within your question as you can.

Last edited by Negative 13 : 05-12-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 AM #2
Negative 13
Thanks!

Diet

For those of you who want to build muscle - here are some of the basic guidelines:

Protein
Protein is the basic organic compound used for building muscle. Protein creates mass because it produces amino acids via a breaking down process caused my proteases. There is also a common misnomer that claims "You can only digest X amount of protein at one setting." This is absolutley false. Without getting deeper into the human anatomy than necessary - the jejunum process 99% of all protein that is consumed.

So, this information means that if you want to increase muscle mass, you are going to need to consume more protein, specifically, more protein at specific time periods. A general rule of thumb is to consume one gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight. However, just because your body can process 99% of the proteins you take in, doesn't mean to take 200 grams of protein at once. It is important to spread the protein intake evenly throughout your meals to provide an even flow of muscle building compounds.

Excellent sources of protein are: Tuna Fish, Salmon, Chicken Breast, Eggs*, Turkey, and Beef (although loaded with cholesterol, as are eggs - use sparingly)

*Egg whites, preferably.

What About Protein Drinks??
Whey protein powder can generally be used by anyone and is easy on the digestive tract. Because the protein is in liquid form, it is easier to absorb - providing a quicker growth/recovery cycle. Protein drinks are also readily available on the go, because of this, it is desired to take half of a protein drink about a half hour before you workout and the other half as soon as you are done training. While on the subject of eating before a workout: It is advised that you eat a "solid" meal about an hour before you take the protein shake (one and a half to two hours before you train) so that your body isn't using muscle for fuel when you are lifting. After your workout and after your shake, eat another "solid" meal in an hour.

Fat
There are good fats, monounsaturated fats, that are found in almonds, walnuts, olive oil, and avacodos to name a few sources. Essential fatty acids such as omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish (particularly salmon and sardines) as well as can be obtained via supplements such as fish oil. Omega-3 is excellent for your skin and immune system while helping prevent muscle breakdown and improving muslce growth.

Water
Hydrating the body is key to the breaking down (and thus building) of muscle. It is suggested that a person consumes over 128 ounces of water every day - whether they are working out or not. The more water you drink, the better, just don't kill yourself via water intoxication. While on the subject of fluids, cut out sodas - if you absolutely MUST have soda, drink the Coke Zero that has zero calories, sugars, etc. Juice and low fat milk (1% or skim) should still be consumed, but on a very limited basis.

Don't eat fried food, snack food, or heavily refined food. Concentrate on fish, poultry, lean beef, low-fat dariy (such as cottage cheese and yogurt), bagels, yams, whole grain wheat bread, oatmeal, and fruit. If you have to eat fastfood, choose wisely. Subway and other sub shops are a good choice but if you want Wendy's or Burger King, get one of the grilled chicken sandwiches, preferably without mayo or a chicken salad.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 PM #3
ImagineLED

ImagineLED owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
wow really nice, i like it, it's useful
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 PM #4
wgpman

I want to build muscle mass and only have free weights for use. I dont know many things i can do with them to get different muscle groups, so can anyone help me out and give me as many different things i can do with free weights.
The object of both [sex and paintball] is to gog the other person
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 PM #5
Negative 13
Thanks!

You say free weights. Do you have a bench (can it incline/declinie)? Dumbbells? If you have a bench, does it have a pad you can use for preacher curls? An attatchment for leg curls?

If you have dumbbells:

Biceps
Standing Dumbbell Curl
1 warmup set (very light weight - focuses the blood into your biceps and will help raise your body temperature)
4 sets
- 1 w/ 10 reps
- 1 w/ 8 reps
- 2 w/ 6 reps

The form:
Stand straight and pin your shoulders slightly together with your elbows at your sides. Keep your abs flexed while maintaining the natural curve of your lower back.

The execution:
In a controlled motion, simultaneously curl both dumbbells. At the top of the movement (when the dumbbells are at shoulder height) squeeze your biceps as hard as possible and hold the contraction for about half a second. Slowly reverse the motion back to the starting position and repeat to complete the set.

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curl
4 sets
2 sets w/ 8 reps (for each arm)
2 sets w/ 6 reps (for each arm)

The form:
Move your bench to a 45 degree incline. Grasp a dumbbell in each hand. Sit on the bench and allow your arms to hang straight down to the floor with your palms facing forward (standard grip).

Execution:
Curl your right arm toward your right shoulder, keeping your elbow back at the starting position. Keep your head neutral, not looking up/down or left/right. Like the first excercise, squeeze your biceps at the top of the movement and slowly return to the starting position. Then switch to the left arm. Then back to the right, repeating until the set is complete.

Preacher Curls (With an EZ curl bar or with dumbbells)
4 sets with 10 reps for each arm

The Form:
Hold a dumbbell in your right arm and sit down on the bench. Slightly lean into the padding of the preacher curl attatchment. Place your arm so that the elbow is roughly two inches from the end of the pad and start with holding the dumbbell (or EZ curl bar) with your arms flexed so that the weight starts out at the height of your shoulders.

Execution:
Slowly lower the dumbbell (or EZ curl bar) toward the floor stopping just before your elbow locks out. Then curl the weight forward to the starting position, squeeze your bicep(s) at the top of the movement, taking full advantage of peak contractions. If using dumbbells, complete all reps for one arm, then switch. Repeat until are sets are completed.

Alternating Hammer Curls
4 sets, 6 reps each

Form:
Using the same form as the standing dumbbell curls, except grip the weight with your palms facing one another at each hip. Leave your thumb out, resting along the top of the dumbbell's bar.

Execution:
Raise one dumbbell until forearm is vertical and the thumb faces the shoulder, flexing your bicep as hard as possible. Lower to the original position and repeat with alternative arm. Repeat until are sets are complete.

Triceps

Close Grip Bench Press
4 sets, 6 reps each

The form:
Lie down on your bench (flat) and keep your feet flat on the floor. Pin your shoulders back and maintain the natural curve of your lower back. Grip the bar with a palm forward grip. Leave approximately six inches between each hand.

Execution:
Slowly lower the bar to an inch above your chest. Blast the bar upward and do not lock out your arms - flex your triceps and slowly return to the starting position. Repeat reps until the set is completed.

Lying Triceps Extension
4 sets, 6 reps each

The Form:
Grasp your EZ curl bar with a pronated (palm-forward) grip with about one foot between each hand. Lie down on your (flat) bench with both feet flat on the floor. With your arms fully extended, hold the bar above your neck.

Execution:
Squeeze your triceps while slowly lowering the bar toward the crown of your head. When your forearms are at a ninety degree angle, pause slightly and squeeze your triceps as hard as possible. Quickly (yet CONTROLLABLY) extend your arms to the starting positon. Repeat reps until the set is complete.

Note: If your shoulders are coming off of the pad when you are doing the excercise, you are doing too much weight. Drop the weight and try again, maintaining a stable torso. The only point of movement should be within the elbows.

Standing Tricep Extension
4 sets, 8 reps each

The Form:
Mimic the stance used for the standing dumbbell curl. Grab one dumbbell and hold it at chest level, raising it behind your head. Force your elbows as close to one another as possible.

Execution:
Without moving the elbows, straighten arms vertically over your head, squeezing the triceps at the top of the movement.

Tricep Kickbacks:
4 sets, 6 reps each set

The Form:
Bend over so your torso is parallel with the floor. Keep your feet slightly apart with a slight bend in the knees.

Execution:
Keep your shoulders high and bend your elbows, pulling them even with your back. Straighten your arms behind you, squeezing the triceps and slowly lower your dumbbells back down to the starting position.

Once you tell me what equipment you have access too, I will post some more stuff you can do.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 PM #6
wgpman

Thx for the help so far, I have just a flat bench that cant incline or decline. But there IS an attachment for leg curls, Im pretty sure that's all I can do with it though. There are no other attachments or anything, I have dumbells, a mid sized bar and a full sized. Know of any excercises that get to muscle groups besides bi and tris?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 PM #7
殉教者 (Banned)

Might want to make an edit to provide a link to www.exrx.net . I find myself going to that site on almost a daily basis.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM #8
BlackMagyk
Now Twice The Flavor

Hi I'm 15, 5'10" and 170 lbs, unsure on the body fat. I have "worked out" for about a year but I rarely mention it because it was pretty embarassing. All I did was full body workout on machines and then I benched afterward. That made my bench high but everything else was way below par. My bench max is 210.

I recently joined bodybuilding.com and figured I'd give this "5x5 Starting Strength" workout that all of those fellows seem to be recommending. It looks like this:
Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2x8 Dips

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows
2x8 Chin-ups

Does it seem like a good idea? Also, I would like to make noticable gains by next Rugby season (spring 07).

Cal Bears

San Fransisco 49ers

Last edited by BlackMagyk : 05-13-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:56 PM #9
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

Would it be better to isolate 2 muscle groups per workout, or do shoulders, chest, triceps ect. all in one workout? What would be more efficent, and better results faster? I have a squat rack, bench, w/ a pull-down bar, and multiple dumbells.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Last edited by Pizzaman : 05-13-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 PM #10
殉教者 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagyk
Also, I would like to make noticable gains by next Rugby season (spring 07).
http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1574598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offtopic.com Fitness & Nutrition Archive: By christophers
THIS IS A MODIFIED BILL GODDAMN ****ING STARR ROUTINE, JESUS ****

Oh and heres a note from chris himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophers
WILL YOU MOTHER****ERS STOP CALLING IT "CHRISTOPHERS" ROUTINE? IT (THE ROUTINE IN THE ARCHIVES) IS A BILL STARR ROUTINE. BILL STARR IS ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS STRENGTH COACHES TO EVER LIVE. HE HAS WORKED WITH NUMEROUS FOOTBALL TEAMS AND PRODUCED INCREDIBLE RESULTS CONSISTENTLY THROUGHOUT HIS TIME. lc

took me to 400 squat 250ish bench 425 deadlift in a very short amount of time. i think this kind of program is what a lot of people need to be using on f&n, as a lot of you have no base, muscle mass, and lack strength. quit worrying aobut elaborate programs, eat and do this and you'll have a strong base in no time. don't whine about bench/squat/dead in the same workout as most of you can easily handle that.

Monday
Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
Incline DB Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
Good Mornings-3x8-12
Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
Pullups-4xmax

Friday
Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set. - YOU ********TING SKEETRAGS, WARM UP TO A THREE REP MAX WITH 5lbs MORE THAN YOUR HEAVIEST SET ON MONDAY. THE NEXT MONDAY USE THAT WEIGHT ON YOUR LAST SET.
Bent Over Row-5x5
Incline Bench-5x5
Tricep Extensions-2x12-20
You might want to look into this. But everyone's goals are different, make sure it suits yours.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:57 PM #11
BlackMagyk
Now Twice The Flavor

Thanks a ton.

Cal Bears

San Fransisco 49ers
Old 05-14-2006, 06:59 AM #12
Muffin123 (Banned)

i dont see anything about losing weight

then again my eyes are messed up right now
Old 05-14-2006, 10:04 AM #13
Hate/Love
ima soldjah

I heard from a friend about this stuff called No Xplode.. anyone have some experience/info with it? Do you think it would help with my weight loss/sculpting for this summer?
Give wut u want in the lac cause she a freak girl and I can see it in her eyes
She can go tic or tac it's so good that I make her wanna cry
A little bit a little that 4 a 2 piece biscuit nd sum fries
Old 05-14-2006, 12:32 PM #14
wgpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin123
i dont see anything about losing weight

then again my eyes are messed up right now
Where does it say that this thread is about losing weight? I see weight training, as in muscle gain, but not weight loss.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:22 PM #15
ProudDm5Owner (Banned)

I bought phosphgen hp which is a mild creatine, and Dynamtize amino acid pills. Anyone ever heard of those? In 1 week of working out my arms have almost doubled
Old 05-14-2006, 04:44 PM #16
##kcuf##

Creatine helps you perform at a high intensity rate for a longer period of time. In weightlifting, since one would be able to perform at a high intensity rate for a longer period of time, this would translate into an increase in reps. Therefore, theoretically, because you can do more reps during a workout, your workout will be more productive and a higher degree of protein synthesis (the building of muscle) will be stimulated. Also, creatine pulls extra water into the muscles and because of this it is theorized that this extra water can stimulate further protein synthesis.

There are about 20 amino acids, 8 of these are essential and need to be obtained from our food.The body can produce the rest of these. Amino acids are involved in protein synthesis and in maintaining nitrogen balance in the body.

So those two mixed is a good pair if you want to bulk up but as soon as you stop creatine your muscles will shrink a little bit becasue your body isnt pumping water into your muscles as much
Old 05-14-2006, 08:46 PM #17
Xtreme Doc
Captain GKG

Glad to see a forum section like this!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:55 PM #18
Hate/Love
ima soldjah

So if I stop using creatine are my muscles going to shrink back to the size they were before or will they just shrink a bit.. still leaving a gain which would be from the lifting?
Give wut u want in the lac cause she a freak girl and I can see it in her eyes
She can go tic or tac it's so good that I make her wanna cry
A little bit a little that 4 a 2 piece biscuit nd sum fries
Old 05-16-2006, 01:12 PM #19
jg420

They should stay the same b/c all creatine does is make it where you can workout longer with out getting tired, so you do all the work and it just helps you lift longer
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM #20
殉教者 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgpman
Where does it say that this thread is about losing weight? I see weight training, as in muscle gain, but not weight loss.
Weight training coupled with cardio is an excellent way to lose weight, smartass.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 PM #21
jk_6109
What the cashcrop?

Running/eating question

What is the best thing to eat before you run that wont upset your stomache? I usually eat a power bar before i run, but i have to eat it like an hour before because i usually cramp up if i eat it right before. But when ever i eat it an hour before i usually dont have as much energy and i end up eating a lot after, which almost cancels the run. So really my question is what would be the best thing(s) to eat where i wont gain weight from it.

BTW, right now im not running a lot because i am doing crew, but when i run during the summer u usually run 5/12 miles every other day (if that helps).

New & Old Feedback

Check out my brother's band, Skull Hammer.
Closed Thread