Should the Trade Embargo Against Cuba Be Lifted? - Page 4 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Lift the embargo?
Yes, immediately 31 53.45%
No, not until Castro starts making some concessions 21 36.21%
Other (please explain) 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 PM #64
殉教者 (Banned)
 
 
殉教者's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman
crying at the stupidity of the human race and the realization that what you just read came from "the future generations"
That dude's 37.
殉教者 is offline  
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 PM #65
doublenot7
KAFIR
 
doublenot7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gulf Coast, Texas
And far smarter than the likes of you here ::NO dodgy::
__________________
AGD X-Mag #XT000187; AGD Tac One; AGD ULE RT Custom; ACI Hornet
Marker Pics
"Originally posted by Ronald Reagan: "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so.""
doublenot7 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:55 PM #66
yay4jojo16
Quasi-Socialist
 
yay4jojo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The World
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenot7
When Castro eventually dies hopefully the Cuban people will have a transition in government and have a society that enjoys more freedom and prosperity. Then we won't see them risking life and limb crossing the water in mishap boats.
You have stated:
(a) The reason they risk life and limb in the boats is because Castro is so oppressive
and (b) Castro's death will provide the Cubans with opportunities for more prosperity.

If Castro is so oppressive, why not end the embargo? It will take him out of power, because [as I argued earlier] the embargo keeps Castro in power by providing a scapegoat for his hopeless economic policies and continuing domestic repression, portraying him as the target of a U.S. vendetta that is condemned by the rest of the world (yes, 14 consecutive times) and thus enabling him to maintain at least a vestige of his all-important self-portrayal as a defiant warrior against "U.S. imperialism."
You say you want prosperity for the Cuban people, which you say will come to them via Castro's death, but why wait until he croaks?! We can expedite the prosperity by ending the embargo, which has deprived their economy of $67B since the embargo was enacted, according to UN Press Release GA/9654. An end to the embargo will bring American jobs, American trade, and therefore good ol' American prosperity.
__________________
PBN's #1 Reggae aficionado
Marriage for All
"Originally posted by Blank Disc
i use herbal essences because i like the orgasming women in their commericals. "
"Originally posted by DreadLock Doc
Without public education, the country would be about as competent as Small Talk. "
yay4jojo16 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 05:01 PM #67
yay4jojo16
Quasi-Socialist
 
yay4jojo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The World
 has been a member for 10 years
Doublenot07: Why did you attempt to turn this into a partisan issue by attaching the word "liberal" to every single one of your stupid, unfounded assertions? [see: "liberal talking points"]
This is much more an issue of ideologies, specifically pragmatism vs. fundamentalism, or an issue of state vs. federal [Cuban constituency in South Florida vs. what's good for the entire country].
Your inflammatory labels are irrelevant.
__________________
PBN's #1 Reggae aficionado
Marriage for All
"Originally posted by Blank Disc
i use herbal essences because i like the orgasming women in their commericals. "
"Originally posted by DreadLock Doc
Without public education, the country would be about as competent as Small Talk. "
yay4jojo16 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 05:29 PM #68
noobkiller123 (Banned)
****stick
 
noobkiller123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR168
Right, we can't concede to a leader who's country was used as a missile base against the US. Explain to me then why we trade with almost every Eastern Bloc country? Why do we trade with the USSR? Why are we trading with almost every country that was used as a missile base? The sanctions have ZERO to do with Cuba being a missile base 40 years ago. Though they may provide a SLIVER of why they were started, but it is even more complex than that.

Go back to my analysis on electoral and economic reasons. It provides a much clearer, realistic reason why the sanctions are kept. Do some research.
hey just so you know about umm lets see 16yrs ago the USSR collapsed and it is now Russia, a democratic nation..thus casues all there satelite nations to set up there own forms of govt. and they no long have the soviet missle technology. but yea. ever hear of the "Cuban Missle Crisis" where for 13 days the world stood still on the brink of nuclear holocaust.
noobkiller123 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 05:47 PM #69
25bps (Banned)
Cause for Concern
 
25bps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
25bps is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobkiller123
Russia, a democratic nation.
Except for the fact that the Russian media is controlled by the Kremlin.
25bps is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 07:58 PM #70
I love Impulses
Keep Calm and Booze On
 
I love Impulses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Happy Hour
I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobkiller123
hey just so you know about umm lets see 16yrs ago the USSR collapsed and it is now Russia, a democratic nation..thus casues all there satelite nations to set up there own forms of govt. and they no long have the soviet missle technology. but yea. ever hear of the "Cuban Missle Crisis" where for 13 days the world stood still on the brink of nuclear holocaust.
Not democratic, more of a republic in the midst of a civil war ruled by corruption and a president who wishes to take the country back to totalitarian ways.
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Why We Drink

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I love Impulses is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 PM #71
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
Not democratic, more of a republic in the midst of a civil war ruled by corruption and a president who wishes to take the country back to totalitarian ways.
I like you more and more as each day passes.
Furious Ge0rge is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:57 PM #72
doublenot7
KAFIR
 
doublenot7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gulf Coast, Texas
Sorry if you guys find it inflammatory to be called liberals. Be proud of who you are.
__________________
AGD X-Mag #XT000187; AGD Tac One; AGD ULE RT Custom; ACI Hornet
Marker Pics
"Originally posted by Ronald Reagan: "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so.""
doublenot7 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:01 PM #73
I love Impulses
Keep Calm and Booze On
 
I love Impulses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Happy Hour
I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge
I like you more and more as each day passes.
Good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenot7
Sorry if you guys find it inflammatory to be called liberals. Be proud of who you are.
No I find it perfectly fine. The liberal PC nazi's are the one's trying to make it inflammatory. Conservatives don't get mad if we call them conservative do they?
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Why We Drink

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I love Impulses is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:04 PM #74
殉教者 (Banned)
 
 
殉教者's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenot7
Sorry if you guys find it inflammatory to be called liberals. Be proud of who you are.
Ok, just answer me this. You DO understand that CONSERVATIVES do NOT LIKE embargoes, correct?
殉教者 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:24 PM #75
doublenot7
KAFIR
 
doublenot7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gulf Coast, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
Conservatives don't get mad if we call them conservative do they?
Nope
__________________
AGD X-Mag #XT000187; AGD Tac One; AGD ULE RT Custom; ACI Hornet
Marker Pics
"Originally posted by Ronald Reagan: "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so.""
doublenot7 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 PM #76
25bps (Banned)
Cause for Concern
 
25bps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
25bps is a Supporting Member
Only the fake liberals (democrats) get mad. Those of us who adhere to classical liberalism would actually prefer if people were informed enough to label us as such.
25bps is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:28 PM #77
doublenot7
KAFIR
 
doublenot7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gulf Coast, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 殉教者
Ok, just answer me this. You DO understand that CONSERVATIVES do NOT LIKE embargoes, correct?That is not an absolute statement.

You DO understand CONSERVATIVES do NOT LIKE communist countries that point nuclear missiles at them, correct?
__________________
AGD X-Mag #XT000187; AGD Tac One; AGD ULE RT Custom; ACI Hornet
Marker Pics
"Originally posted by Ronald Reagan: "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so.""
doublenot7 is offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:37 PM #78
殉教者 (Banned)
 
 
殉教者's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington
You DO understand that those were SOVIET nuclear missiles pointed at us OVER 40 YEARS AGO, Cuba and their communist system is not a threat to us now, hasn't been since they've been faring without Soviet assistance for the past 17 years, and probably hasn't been before that too, correct?
殉教者 is offline  
Old 05-14-2006, 02:54 PM #79
yay4jojo16
Quasi-Socialist
 
yay4jojo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The World
 has been a member for 10 years
To reinforce Martyr's point, I give you this quote:
A 1998 U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency report concluded that, "Cuba does not pose a significant military threat to the U.S. or to other countries in the region."
__________________
PBN's #1 Reggae aficionado
Marriage for All
"Originally posted by Blank Disc
i use herbal essences because i like the orgasming women in their commericals. "
"Originally posted by DreadLock Doc
Without public education, the country would be about as competent as Small Talk. "
yay4jojo16 is offline  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:12 PM #80
25bps (Banned)
Cause for Concern
 
25bps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
25bps is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yay4jojo16
To reinforce Martyr's point, I give you this quote:
A 1998 U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency report concluded that, "Cuba does not pose a significant military threat to the U.S. or to other countries in the region."
Who was President in 1998?

Clinton. And he was a well known communist.
25bps is offline  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:52 PM #81
殉教者 (Banned)
 
 
殉教者's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington
殉教者 is offline  
Old 05-14-2006, 04:39 PM #82
yay4jojo16
Quasi-Socialist
 
yay4jojo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The World
 has been a member for 10 years
Doublenot: you stated "CONSERVATIVES do NOT LIKE communist countries that point nuclear missiles at them, correct?"

Given my quote (a few posts up), don't you think this argument is moot?
__________________
PBN's #1 Reggae aficionado
Marriage for All
"Originally posted by Blank Disc
i use herbal essences because i like the orgasming women in their commericals. "
"Originally posted by DreadLock Doc
Without public education, the country would be about as competent as Small Talk. "

Last edited by yay4jojo16 : 05-15-2006 at 12:46 AM.
yay4jojo16 is offline  
Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM #83
p8ntballtroll
Banned.
 
p8ntballtroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: !~S0 Fla~!
Ok heres how it goes, the embargo stays in place until castro dies. Then political subgroups in america (CANF) lobby for us intervention to keep fidels brother out of power. After this happens the CANF and other groups bring US buisness to Cuba in the interest of rebuilding the economy, bringing capitallism, establishing a democratic government, and of course money.
__________________
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field and it doesn't matter that you failed a test, didn't get the girl, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours.

Originally posted by PBDojoLP: is anyone else horney? is it weard that im naked right now?
p8ntballtroll is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 01:58 AM #84
殉教者 (Banned)
 
 
殉教者's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington
What do you mean exactly by "intervene?"
殉教者 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump