PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-04-2006, 04:45 AM #1
ddinwdc

has been a member for 10 years
How many have been mamed or killed by a HPA tank?

I've heard some discuss the relative dangers of HPA tanks. Does anyone know how many have been hurt or killed by a malfunctioning HPA tank? I would assume that, given the pressure, a catastrophic failure would probably kill the person holding the tank. Are C02 tanks, with their relatively lower pressures, safer?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 09:58 AM #2
aeronautica86

I have no idea on the statistics about deaths from HPA tanks, but I can tell you that C02 tanks aren't much safer - 1800psi is still a whole lot; anything over ~300psi is "high pressure" and not to be messed with
Old 04-04-2006, 11:39 AM #3
NONE_too_SOFT
Do you play paintball?

NONE_too_SOFT is a Supporting Member
HPA tanks are made to withstand more force than exerted in any normal paintball game. if you took one and used it as a hammer to drive some nails into a house then you might have some problems. HPA is like riding in a plane, if something does happen the consequences would be much higher, but it is infact one of the safest ways to travel. HPA's do have failsafes if the reg breaks, i've never even heard of an actual tank rupturing under stress. mythbusters proved that they wouldnt explode anyways, they'd just propel your marker across the field like a rocket most likely. the only danger of using an HPA tank is misuse.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:12 PM #4
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the PSP
team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
I agree. I don't think CO2 tanks are much safer. Look at last year for example. 2 incidents that I can remember included people dying from co2 tanks, they both made national news too. I have never heard of anybody getting hurt or even killed from a Compressed air tank.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:44 PM #5
p8ntballsteve
Master Airsmith

p8ntballsteve is a Supporting Member
p8ntballsteve is playing at Living Legends III
p8ntballsteve is playing at Living Legends V
p8ntballsteve is playing at Living Legends VI
p8ntballsteve is playing at Living Legends VII
CO2 is far more volitile of a gas, thus more dangerous, CO2 injuries outwiegh HPA ones by a lot, There have been NO deaths due to HPA, but 4 Due to CO2. injuries however aren't as well known. And to show how the odds of that are, there were 4 deaths due to lightning while playing paintball, so it's safe to assume the odds of dying are that of being struck by lightning.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM #6
aeronautica86

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballsteve
And to show how the odds of that are, there were 4 deaths due to lightning while playing paintball, so it's safe to assume the odds of dying are that of being struck by lightning.
Just to nitpick for fun, this logic is flawed. There have been far more paintball games played where C02/HPA tanks were used (all of them) than there have been paintball games played were there was lightning in the area.

For instance lets just say that 1,000,000 paintball games have ever been played in the world, out of those, 4 people have died, so the chances of dying from C02 tanks for that number of games would be 250,000:1, because in every single one of these games, there was a chance of being blown up by a C02 or HPA tank.

However, out of those 1,000,000 games, there have been maybe 10,000 games played where lightning was present (and assuming that 1 out of every 10 games played is played in the rain is pretty generous). So there have only been 10,000 possible games played were lightning could have been a threat, so the chances of dying from a lightning strike while playing paintball would be 2500:1.

Therefore, it would actually be far more likely to die from a lightning strike while playing paintball than to die from a C02/HPA tank exploding.

Of course the total numbers for games played and games played during thunderstorms are way off (would be much higher), and there is no way that it is storming during 10% of all games played, so the actual chances of either of those would be much lower (first number in both ratios would be higher)
Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 AM #7
shockler

shockler is a founding member
Co2 is far more dangerous.Maybe not so much from tank explosions,but more from handling a tank with a ruptured burst or just co2 escaping in any fashion

http://www.sacpaintball.com/forums/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=11305
Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 AM #8
BlackEagle754
Mr. Slice & Dice

All of the current HPA tank manufacturers have excelent safety records. I would be more worried about CO2 than HPA.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM #9
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

Both are a hell of a lot safer than driving to the field.