Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-12-2006, 11:57 AM #85
The Bunker

The Bunker is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakstar
I have never had a prolem with my Ion. Most if not all the problems the Ion is user error. Solnoid barbs that breal are user error. There are only a few places to spring leaks as it is. All you dealers claming the marker is garabe need to find the root of the problem istead of slandering a great product. Just skim the Ion forum. All thr problems you see are user caused problems. Very very few are out of the box factory probelms.
I have 20 Ions that I use for rental guns. Eight of the stock boards went bad in the first month. And three more have gone bad since then. If I can't make a good profit selling the gun, then I will quit selling them. They are too much of a hassle if there is not a good markup. The Map pricing was low enough as is, I think SP should just sell direct to the customer and fix their own problems and then lets see how popular the Ion is when there is a mountain of them waiting to get fixed and pissed off customers waiting for them to be returned.

THE BUNKER v2.0 for sale
Old 04-12-2006, 12:58 PM #86
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyPaintball
Who's going to be happy when we're ALL out of business because of stupid moves like that?
I have a feeling you're going to see them in Wal-Mart and Dick's Sporting Goods before too long.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
Old 04-12-2006, 01:14 PM #87
iKNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker
I have 20 Ions that I use for rental guns. Eight of the stock boards went bad in the first month. And three more have gone bad since then. If I can't make a good profit selling the gun, then I will quit selling them. They are too much of a hassle if there is not a good markup. The Map pricing was low enough as is, I think SP should just sell direct to the customer and fix their own problems and then lets see how popular the Ion is when there is a mountain of them waiting to get fixed and pissed off customers waiting for them to be returned.

WOW! Finally some wise words. I feel exactly like you. Let SMP sell direct to customers and we will see how good that will work. I think it is immoral to sell a product that does not work and not to handle all the hassel that includes. If you read the SMP website, they do not accept warranty returns from end customers. Why not?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:18 PM #88
iKNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown65
Also ion buyers will also need to fork over another 200-300$ for a tank and a good hopper. And if one buyer buys an ion the other buys a 98c. Which one do you think will be buying alot more paint?
THe C98 guy because his gun will work and work and work so he can play every week end. The Ion guy will have to return his gun and wait for repair and miss a lot of playing opportunites. When he finally gets his marker working, maybe he will quit paintball because of all the problems. Also all his noob friends will quit playing because he outshoots them and they can afford to spend twice on paint each weekend just to keep up with his fire speed. Also his friends mght quit because it makes more fun to play paintball when everyone has slow shooting guns so it is possible to use tactics in wood play.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:56 PM #89
The Bunker

The Bunker is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKNOW
WOW! Finally some wise words. I feel exactly like you. Let SMP sell direct to customers and we will see how good that will work. I think it is immoral to sell a product that does not work and not to handle all the hassel that includes. If you read the SMP website, they do not accept warranty returns from end customers. Why not?
Because it takes an entire nation of paintball shops to maintain their product. It is the shops not the online drop shippers that repair the product. Even though the reduction in map pricing is only beneficial to the online store with no overhead. Smart Parts is reducing the stores profits in order to increase sales. If Ions end up in major stores like Wal-mart, I will not repair one more gun, not even if you pay me.

THE BUNKER v2.0 for sale
Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM #90
mashedpotatoe8
Now a timmy lover :]

SP obviously just wants to make more money... they screwed the fields and stores over, so why would they want to sell them so cheap and not make any profit off of them? More people are going to end up buying from SP if the stores sell them at a price that they can get a profit, SP is going to be selling them for less, so more people would want to get them from Smart Parts. I know Smart Parts has lost my support, because that just sucks for the stores and such.

CheckIt Unimount 2
AirAmerica 4500 PSI Nitro Tank
Old 04-12-2006, 04:32 PM #91
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
If Ions end up in major stores like Wal-mart, I will not repair one more gun, not even if you pay me.
You're going about that all wrong. Fix them for a $25 per hour labor fee. Before long, you'll have made more off the gun in labor than you would have made if you'd sold the gun and offered a lifetime warranty on labor.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
Old 04-12-2006, 05:44 PM #92
Venom 13
New Orleans Venom # 13

has been a member for 10 years
We as field owners have options. We could not carry any S.P. items. (Yes, it will hurt us in the th short run, but eventually S.P. will have to notice.) Or we could charge more for services to the ION; the customer may be a little disgruntled, but the feedback will get to S.P. and the customers will be sending their guns to S.P. Once they are sitting with loads of guns to fix they will have to do something, and then maybe they will reconsider the little guys in this industry. We DO NOT have to carry these guns, but if it were to be a boycott, everyone would have to work together for it to work. I am not saying that we should or shouldn't, just tossing out ideas. I've personally not had that many problems, BUT only time will tell.
Matt
Old 04-13-2006, 03:35 PM #93
renegade8

Quote:
Because it takes an entire nation of paintball shops to maintain their product. It is the shops not the online drop shippers that repair the product. Even though the reduction in map pricing is only beneficial to the online store with no overhead. Smart Parts is reducing the stores profits in order to increase sales. If Ions end up in major stores like Wal-mart, I will not repair one more gun, not even if you pay me.
sorry to do this to you..... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4328440

true it is online but if you browse their internet site, you will see many products from a certain distributor on there. Hmmm.. I wonder who is cutting everyone's throats?

In the end SP is attempting to cut out the dealers..period. Just look at their return policy. They do not take guns back, they only repair them. That is fine for end users, but, for people like us that retail them to customers we get screwed. SP will not take a marker back and exchange it for a new one that was broken out of the box, they will only repair it, thereby, making the gun used and unable to be sold "As new" again. The manufacturer's in this business have become greedy and the sad part is they are not doing what is best to make paintball grow. Yes lowering prices will allow more people to get into paintball, but that has not happened. More people are leaving and not getting in, hence one of the reasons for the massive drop in sales in 05. Also the guns are way too fast for the causal player. new players should not be hit 12 times by a spray and pray person, that is reserved for tourneys. So many things are killing the retail side of paintball, and folks it is all because of the manufacturers.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM #94
Venom 13
New Orleans Venom # 13

I agree about the speed of guns scaring off customers. Kids that play at my field with fast guns scare off business. I have grown adults who are scared to play kids at my field all the time. I explain that all guns are chronographed, but they are still timid to mix it up. Plus, I've noticed that anyone who is renting equipment will seperate themselves from the ones who have the fast guns. Also, kids these days seem to trash talk and bash on new players and that gives them a bad experience which is bad for business. Just my 2 cents.
Matt
Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 AM #95
devilmountainsports
NightStalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade8
sorry to do this to you..... [url] Also the guns are way too fast for the causal player. new players should not be hit 12 times by a spray and pray person, that is reserved for tourneys. So many things are killing the retail side of paintball, and folks it is all because of the manufacturers.
I also believe its peoples attitudes and behavior on the field that hurt the sport more then anything. I am aware of some fields that put with weekly fist fights. It is a game...

I no longer own DMSPaintball.com. Call the store directly at 925-608-3319 for all your questions.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 PM #96
NO.SPD.LIMIT
est. 1978

Annual Supporting Member
NO.SPD.LIMIT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Why???

WHY???? SMART PARTS!!!!!! WHY??????????
Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM #97
lp04
SNIPER

lp04 plays in the PSP
lp04 donated to help Peyton Trent
lp04 plays in the APPA D4 division
lp04 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002
I wanna know what the real field owners (myself) are supposed to do-I juse received 15 of the bloody things, and the nextg day they lower prices to what I pay (199$!!) WHAT THE **** AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF!
-Will
MetroPB
sell them for 210
Old 04-19-2006, 02:18 PM #98
lp04
SNIPER

lp04 plays in the PSP
lp04 donated to help Peyton Trent
lp04 plays in the APPA D4 division
lp04 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade8
sorry to do this to you..... [url]. Also the guns are way too fast for the causal player. new players should not be hit 12 times by a spray and pray person, that is reserved for tourneys.
thats usually why rec players play on saturday and tourney players play on sunday, if you come here you will almost never see tourney level players playing on saturday and vise versa with the rec ballers
Old 04-20-2006, 05:24 PM #99
N-FERNO
ballin on a budjet

i'm not a field owner i'm a player and i dont like what sp did because i bought my shocker and ion a while back and now it makes the ion look like a cheapo gun whe its actully not that bad. true its better for new kids now they can get a half decent gun for 200.
S&S paintball
270-932-9519
Campbellsville, KY
Old 04-29-2006, 01:30 PM #100
EPS
mo-paintball.com

This isn't just limited to Smart Parts. The market has been saturated with online stores selling products with little or no mark up and making money by volume. Well that was all good until sales declined, and now Smart Parts (who dropped the price because they have a TON of Ions) and others are more actively enforcing their maps and looking to cut their prices to move their product and pay the bills. Unfortunately, they burned all the dealers, and I will no longer order large quantities of any guns, especially Smart Parts, because who knows if they will just keep dropping the prices and I'll be forced to dump my stock at cost. I am not a not-for-profit business!

I have been carrying less ions, and carrying another gun with break beam eyes from www.moneypaintball.com. The profit margin is much better and I don't have to worry about the gun dropping to nothing.

Good luck!!

http://www.mo-paintball.com
203 - 500 - 7889

email: membersonlypaintball@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2006, 02:46 PM #101
devilmountainsports
NightStalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPS
This isn't just limited to Smart Parts. The market has been saturated with online stores selling products with little or no mark up and making money by volume. Well that was all good until sales declined, and now Smart Parts (who dropped the price because they have a TON of Ions) and others are more actively enforcing their maps and looking to cut their prices to move their product and pay the bills. Unfortunately, they burned all the dealers, and I will no longer order large quantities of any guns, especially Smart Parts, because who knows if they will just keep dropping the prices and I'll be forced to dump my stock at cost. I am not a not-for-profit business!

I have been carrying less ions, and carrying another gun with break beam eyes from www.moneypaintball.com. The profit margin is much better and I don't have to worry about the gun dropping to nothing.

Good luck!!
Don't click the link unless you want to look at a million popups.

I no longer own DMSPaintball.com. Call the store directly at 925-608-3319 for all your questions.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:24 PM #102
brianthehulk
AKA The Thing

Venom, well Matt,

I agree, I bought an Intimidator and an EGO to keep up with the little dorks at my local field(hollywood sports in bellflower)

I got my kid an ION to try and keep up but if i hear him talk **** it goes in the garage until he can keep his mouth shut.

I started with mech cockers and if everyone shot somwthing like that,or a battery spyder Id be happy.
TO get back on point, alot of newer and first time players are scared off by the fast, fast markers out there, and not everyone can, or wants to spen a grand or more pluse all the extra paint.

Team Illuminati Paintball PSP/NPPL
Old 04-29-2006, 03:49 PM #103
soupdup

soupdup is a Supporting Member
shocker prices dropped?
*"Originally posted by Damonwill:soupdup is my HERO!!!!"
*"Originally posted by geniousdeano:soupdup you're a brave man"
Old 04-29-2006, 05:59 PM #104
D3AGL3_PBALLER
CN's Finest

D3AGL3_PBALLER posts videos on PbNation
D3AGL3_PBALLER has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Wow, all of you saying the Ion isnt reliable have got to be on something. I have owned one for well over a year and have not had it go down on me once 'cept for the time my battery died. I have tinkered with it a crap load and as long as you put the thing back together the way it is meant to be, it is problem free. I think the problem is the fact that the Ion is so cheap that many idiots that should never be near an electronic marker get their hands on them and mess them up. The price drop was inevitible. Sooner or later, every marker has to drop in price. The Ion has been out for well over a year now. It was about time.

For those dealers complaining, you are not forced to carry the marker. As we, the consumers, are not forced to buy it. How do you think Angel owners feel when a new Angel gets introduced every 5-6 months. Or how about DMC owners when Dye put out the DM6...Its all the same thing. Everytime you purchase a product for inventory you are risking it going down in value. How fast you sell, determines your profit. If you got left with a handful of Ions because you were being greedy and stocking them up like crazy, then you are SOL. The people who ordered "just enough" of them, arent getting hit that hard. It happens. Paintball isnt the only industry that it happens in.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 PM #105
Rob_TheRain
Chuck Norris is behind u!

if you are having an issue with new kids with rentals getting railed on by other kids with fast guns...

Then split them up. it really is that easy

beg. walk on A - kids with rentals and spyder ect...

inter. walk on B - kids with faster guns

it really is that easy the field i used to work at operated like that and we had no issues with smaller newer kids getting ripped up